• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

xxczx

I think we need a new thread since OP has been banned and there's been some changes, like the new and improved Atlus price drops, the upcoming xseed game, and i'm sure we haven't seen the end of the pending changes and additions to the PSN now that publishers are altering their strategies to better suit the Vita userbase -- we need someone who is around and available to keep the OP updated.
If OP hasn't been banned indefinitely I'll be willing to take over if nobody else wants to; but this thread is on it's last legs anyway.

PaulLFC

I'm going away soon and am going to be on two long journeys, so I've been looking through the PSP games on the Vita store and seeing what's on offer here in the UK. These are all £7.99, so which would people recommend playing? Ideally I'd like to just get one that would last me a long time, but if there's more than one of these that I absolutely have to play I may get two. Recommendations from these please?

Ys 1&2 Chornicles
Ys Seven
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Tactics Ogre
Prinny 1
Prinny 2
Gods Eater Burst
Disgaea Infinite
FF Tactics

All Ys games, Tactics Ogre, and Final Fantasy Tactics are all well worth playing. If you're restricting yourself to only one, I'd suggest Ys: The Oath in Felghana. It's an excellent fast-paced action RPG with some platforming sections and no superfluous fluff.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oath in Felghana isn't going to last long though. Really, the Ys games are great, but they're all pretty short unless you really get into the Time Attacks and stuff.

xxczx

I'm going away soon and am going to be on two long journeys, so I've been looking through the PSP games on the Vita store and seeing what's on offer here in the UK. These are all £7.99, so which would people recommend playing? Ideally I'd like to just get one that would last me a long time, but if there's more than one of these that I absolutely have to play I may get two. Recommendations from these please?

Ys 1&2 Chornicles
Ys Seven
Tactics Ogre
Prinny 1
Prinny 2
Gods Eater Burst
Disgaea Infinite
FF Tactics
Out of that list, God Eater is my favourite. Plenty of depth and content to keep you going on a long journey.

Lain

Ys 1&2 Chornicles
Ys Seven
Tactics Ogre
Prinny 1
Prinny 2
Gods Eater Burst
Disgaea Infinite
FF Tactics

Gods Eater Burst will last you a while, Ys Seven isn't long but it's great. Ys Oath is short too but it's good as well.

They're quite similar and getting a third strategy RPG might be overdoing it before you have completed the ones you already own.

Is Gods Eater Burst fun to play in single-player mode?

Is Gods Eater in the American store? I don't remember seeing it. Anyway to get it if my PS3 is out of commission?

xxczx

Is Gods Eater Burst fun to play in single-player mode?
Yup! There's a whole story mode which is pretty interesting (I always love worlds set in post apocalyptic) and it will last you a while before you even think of multiplayer (plus you have CPUs partners in battles!)

Is there a way to transfer saves from a ps3 to the psp/psvita and vice versa? Like, if I'm playing say Xenogears on my psp and want to continue on my ps3 with the same save data, can I do that?

I realize this isn't about the vita, but I'm curious if anybody knows. The other reason I'm wondering is because I hear Vita is going to be doing psONE games soon.

xxczx

Still debating whether to buy... Monster Hunter, P3P, or Knights in the Nightmare. Few questions: Does MH have online multiplayer and is it still active? ...whats the length on Knights in the Nightmare?

Thanks in advance!

Aru

Still debating whether to buy... Monster Hunter, P3P, or Knights in the Nightmare. Few questions: Does MH have online multiplayer and is it still active? ...whats the length on Knights in the Nightmare?

Thanks in advance!

Knights in the Nightmare can be beaten in around 20 hours IIRC. Maybe a little more, but definitely less than 30 hours. Unless you want to see all the endings.
The secret ending is also impossible to obtain without a guide (unless you're the luckiest person ever).

wotter

Old? Tactics Ogre is now €9.99 on EU PSN

GO GO GO
Just bought it yesterday, looks gorgeous for a psp game imo. Still have €10 in the wallet, currently searching for a rather classical rpg. Is there something on the eu store close to Dragon Quest VIII (in terms of battle system/levelling)?

Rootbeer

Banned
It's really difficult deciding between monster hunter freedom unite and god eater burst since I want both and have never played a monster hunter (or a clone) before and want in on what i've been missing! I'll probably end up getting monster hunter though... at least until a sale.

P3P has been really fun so far. I haven't given some serious hours to a Persona game since the original on PS1 (yeah i was a a kid back then and apparently loved punishment). I played Persona 3 FES very briefly and immediately noticed that P3P simplified a lot of the experience ... like almost everything that isn't dungeon exploring has been replaced with a VG Novel type of experience. As an RPG purist... it kinda bothers me, but I think I can adjust. I can see why they did this to make it more "portable" and faster, I guess. Still, I like having that illusion of exploring by moving my character around.

It's good though, definitely going to pour some hours into it. I really, really want Persona 4 on Vita now :)

It's really difficult deciding between monster hunter freedom unite and god eater burst since I want both and have never played a monster hunter (or a clone) before and want in on what i've been missing! I'll probably end up getting monster hunter though... at least until a sale.

P3P has been really fun so far. I haven't given some serious hours to a Persona game since the original on PS1 (yeah i was a a kid back then and apparently loved punishment). I played Persona 3 FES very briefly and immediately noticed that P3P simplified a lot of the experience ... like almost everything that isn't dungeon exploring has been replaced with a VG Novel type of experience. As an RPG purist... it kinda bothers me, but I think I can adjust. I can see why they did this to make it more "portable" and faster, I guess. Still, I like having that illusion of exploring by moving my character around.

It's good though, definitely going to pour some hours into it. I really, really want Persona 4 on Vita now :)

I was in the same boat for GEB and MHFU. I decided to go with GEB since a Monster Hunter for the Vita was likely since it was leaked on neogaf.

Man FFIV Complete will chew you up if you aren't careful! Game can be really difficult, and I am only about 5 hours into the game. Haven't got a game over screen yet but have come dangerously close, because Cecil became confused and killed my entire party and then started cutting himself lol. Really liking the game though. Word of advice, make sure you stock up on potions and ethers and phoenix downs before heading out, you are going to need a lot of them. Especially ether since a lot of enemies seem to die only by magic.

Games like this make you remember how much hand holding games do now a days.

Averon

I'm thinking about getting Persona 1 for my Vita. I never played a Persona game before, so I have to ask: What am I to expect?

Aru

I'm thinking about getting Persona 1 for my Vita. I never played a Persona game before, so I have to ask: What am I to expect?

Well I haven't played Persona 1, but as old school as it seems, if you hate first person RPGs, you should avoid it. I heard the game hasn't really aged well.
Go for P3P instead. Thank me later.

Chesskid1

Banned
is there a PSP games for vita thread, but not just RPGs? i see no reason to limit it to RPGs if this thread will be revived/remade and it would help with compatibility, etc

Edgeward

It's gonna be a little hard to get into. First person dungeon roaming with huge encounter rate. It's a game spent about 95% time in dungeons and fighting. P3P is a better choice or P2 Innocent Sin f you still want to go oldschool.

Eusis

They are on the European store since we never got the PS1 versions.
Otherwise though, yeah, Square Enix has been completely awful about their PSP back catalog. Hell, they've been spotty with their PS1 back catalog, anything but their RPGs (exception to SaGa) got the shaft.

Thought about it, read up on it. Eh. Not too fond of the alteration made. And I'd rather just wait for P4, already invested a good chunk of time into P3 FES.

Knights in the Nightmare can be beaten in around 20 hours IIRC. Maybe a little more, but definitely less than 30 hours. Unless you want to see all the endings.
The secret ending is also impossible to obtain without a guide (unless you're the luckiest person ever).

Sounds good to me but I'll go with Monster Hunter for now and pick up KitN later. Thanks for the info!

Duke Togo

Got P3P. Why wasn't I informed of how great this series is before now? I'm probably gonna drop at least 50 hours into this game, if not twice that. I might have to get a vita grip of some kind if I'm gonna play that long...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Got P3P. Why wasn't I informed of how great this series is before now? I'm probably gonna drop at least 50 hours into this game, if not twice that. I might have to get a vita grip of some kind if I'm gonna play that long...

You have terrible acquaintances or you ignored everyone saying how great it was? Persona 4 is great too, actually the best one imo. You could either play it on PS2 or wait for the Vita enhanced version to come out.

Where have you been, I haven't met a single person that played persona 3 or 4 and didn't love it :p And they are pretty hyped on Gaf too. One of my personal favourite RPG series.

Theonik

Got Tactics Ogre. Real Steal at 9.99E
Edit: Very pleased with it so far, it also looks gorgeous.
Edit2: Also pleasantly surprised by its screenshot feature. Makes the Vita's screenshot feature look amateurish by saving faster and in PNG.

Lynko

Anyone know if Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 is compatible with the Vita? It's on the JP PSN store and I'd like to import it on my US Vita but.. well it'd help if it was compatible in the first place haha.

Err, actually, CAN I import games with my JP PSN account and switch over to my US PSN account and continue playing it from there? Like with the Gravity Rush demo?

Anyone know if Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 is compatible with the Vita? It's on the JP PSN store and I'd like to import it on my US Vita but.. well it'd help if it was compatible in the first place haha.

Err, actually, CAN I import games with my JP PSN account and switch over to my US PSN account and continue playing it from there? Like with the Gravity Rush demo?

I don't know if it's compatible, but I'm pretty sure you can't play games on another account than the one it was bought on. I couldn't play the free US motorstorm RC on my EU account anyway...

magawolaz

Got Tactics Ogre. Real Steal at 9.99E
Edit: Very pleased with it so far, it also looks gorgeous.
Edit2: Also pleasantly surprised by its screenshot feature. Makes the Vita's screenshot feature look amateurish by saving faster and in PNG.
Are you playing it on PSP? I didn't manage to get screenshots on Vita.

Anyway, I'm 5 hours in (right at the beginning of Chapter II) and I'm loving it.

Top Bottom