• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

ronito

because of this thread I went out and tried Ys II. It's very strange. Reminds me of the old days. It's fun but it's sorta like an abusive relationship with its immense and maze like dungeons. "What? Now I have to go all the way there again and fight the whole way through? You kidding?"

I go do it and say "Never again!"

Then fifteen minutes later.

"What? Now I have to go all the way there again and fight the whole way through? You kidding?"

Rinse. Repeat.

areal

FFIV vs TitS for a introduction to JRPGs? Looking for something to play on Vita. I'd like to try Persona but not at 40 clams.

FFIV vs TitS for a introduction to JRPGs? Looking for something to play on Vita. I'd like to try Persona but not at 40 clams.
Either will do as a beginner rpg, I think.

FF IV Complete is graphically fairly old school, it's basically the old SNES game with some new content. (But looks so clean and sharp)

Trails is also pretty easy to get into gameplay wise, but the story takes awhile to get going.

If I had to choose one as a starter rpg, though, it would be FF IV.

naib

I'm really craving a roguelike for my Vita.

Z.H.P. is too damn expensive and might be too wacky for me. Maybe.
Is Shiren 3 not even on PSN? What the hell?

Any other recommendations?

Durante

I'd choose Lunar or even Breath of Fire 3 over either.

I'm really craving a roguelike for my Vita.

Z.H.P. is too damn expensive and might be too wacky for me. Maybe.
Is Shiren 3 not even on PSN? What the hell?

Any other recommendations?
Cladun / Cladun 2?

Eusis

because of this thread I went out and tried Ys II. It's very strange. Reminds me of the old days. It's fun but it's sorta like an abusive relationship with its immense and maze like dungeons. "What? Now I have to go all the way there again and fight the whole way through? You kidding?"

Then fifteen minutes later.

"What? Now I have to go all the way there again and fight the whole way through? You kidding?"

Rinse. Repeat.
It's the music, isn't it?

TheExodu5

Banned
Final Fantasy IV is one of the best JRPG intros I can think of.

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI should follow that.

Final Fantasy IV is mechanically simple, but has a great difficulty curve. It's probably the "purest" JRPG Square has made.

Durante

Any idea how the PSP version of Breath of Fire 3 is? Apparently the PS1 version is never going to hit PSN so the PSP version is probably my best bet to get an opportunity to play it.
Apparently the load times of the PSP version are really bad on PSP, on Vita it's fine.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently the load times of the PSP version are really bad on PSP, on Vita it's fine.

Even off a memory stick? I'd rather not play it on Vita due to the whole account switch hassle. Especially if you need a second memory card (not sure if that's the case, but I remember reading that they're tied to your account). If the load times are still really bad and I wouldn't need a second card for the Vita I guess I could give it a try though.

Durante

Ah, I forgot that it's not on the US PSN. You don't need a second card to switch accounts though. Regarding loading times, it seems like they are better on stick vs UMD, but better still on Vita.

naib

Cladun / Cladun 2?
I've been tempted by those, but I really want a turn based one. And randomly generated dungeons. I may pick up 2 sometime though. They look fun.

I ended up getting Z.H.P. and I'm glad I did. The dungeon crawling is fun and I've actually caught myself laughing out loud a few times. And you get a Prinny for a wife.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody know if capcom will ever release BOF3 on the NA PSN? I really don't want to get an EU account just to play 1 game

They already said that it couldn't come via PS1 classic due to legal issues, and isn't the PSP version basically a port of the game with the addition of widescreen? Seems like it would probably have the same issues.

Thinking about just picking up a UMD, but the load times do indeed look terrible, and I haven't found any details or videos at all regarding improvements with UMD caching and loading it from the memory stick.

Rootbeer

Banned
Every time I see this thread bumped, I hope to myself it's someone posting about a sale on Persona games (or any JRPGS, really) in the US PSN.

Someday, my hopes will be fulfilled!

Aru

They already said that it couldn't come via PS1 classic due to legal issues, and isn't the PSP version basically a port of the game with the addition of widescreen? Seems like it would probably have the same issues.

Thinking about just picking up a UMD, but the load times do indeed look terrible, and I haven't found any details or videos at all regarding improvements with UMD caching and loading it from the memory stick.

I beat the PSN version and it's fine. Load times are identical to what they were on PS1 if my memory doesn't fail me.

What's the opinion on breath of fire III, is it good? I've never played the series before but I might get it for Vita. Do you have to play the previous games to follow the story or are they independant of each other?

that is a damn shame =/

So I guess I will need an EU account and memory card jsut to paly bof3 ...fml

What's the opinion on breath of fire III, is it good? I've never played the series before but I might get it for Vita. Do you have to play the previous games to follow the story or are they independant of each other?

They are independant and (imo.) BOF3 was one of my fave jrpg. It was just fun all the way through (except the desert)

Verelios

I want to get tactics ogre but afraid it might be a bit too deep causing me to lose interest, I love fft but that was pretty simple.
You probably won't have any problem getting into Tactics Ogre if you found fft to be simple. Actually, after a while you may find that TO comes easier to you than fft did, especially with the way skills/classes work. What I'm saying is, if you loved fft then definitely get TO; it's a completely different kind of experience while keeping all the same intricacies that made fft so much fun, and it is lovely.
I'm trying to get into FFT and I'm having a much harder time compared to JD.

Yeah, JD is alot simpler than fft, and when coming off of those cel-shaded graphics...it's a little hard if you aren't a mega fan of the PS1 era/ sprites. Just to let you know, I wouldn't just bull through the tutorial, because not only is it excuciatingly boring (death sleep boring), it is also painfully long. So long. I would actually play the game and then maybe check out the tutorial every once in a while when you don't understand something. It's pretty easy once you get into the swing of things, but where fft really opens up is its class system. You will probably not have much fun unless you invest some time into different classes. Then~ boom. 60 hours of your life gone.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I beat the PSN version and it's fine. Load times are identical to what they were on PS1 if my memory doesn't fail me.

Ordered a UMD, will rip it and play it from the memory stick. Trusting you on this!

Also got BoF 1 and 2 for GBA pretty cheap not too long ago. Might give the series a spin in order sometime, even if it's probably pointless to do so.

spats

How long is Ys 7 on average? I'm about 10 hours in already.

But what to buy after I've beaten it? Cladun looks pretty cool. How is the difficulty? I don't want anything too hard.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How long is Ys 7 on average? I'm about 10 hours in already.

But what to buy after I've beaten it? Cladun looks pretty cool. How is the difficulty? I don't want anything too hard.

20 - 25 hours on average for Ys Seven. Long for an Ys game.

areal

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not usually so indecisive, but I really don't know what to expect with these kind of games.

Lain

I don't think ClaDun is too hard. It starts out easy enough and then it becomes more difficult as you go deeper in.
It is a nice, little, great game though. Nice humour, awesome music and entertaining gameplay.

Eusis

Playing Fate/Extra. It really does remind me of a VN. Graphics suck shit even for a PSP game though.
I thought the graphics were fairly good given it was a PSP game, problem is there's about as much variety between areas as there is between Walmart stores.

Seventy5

I bought Disgaea 2 a couple days ago and its still amazing. Well worth the purchase if anyonne is looking for a good srpg and its still goddamn hilarious.

kanugo

Does any of those RPG's have a combat system similiar to a game on the Tales series? I really want to try an RPG on this screen.

lol this thread has gotten me back into jrpgs again but also convinced me not to bother with the vita for now and instead grabbed a cheap pspgo. Currently playing through ffiv cc, then y's O of F. Already grabbed 5 or so rpgs but plan on picking up most in the op.

lol this thread has gotten me back into jrpgs again but also convinced me not to bother with the vita for now and instead grabbed a cheap pspgo. Currently playing through ffiv cc, then y's O of F. Already grabbed 5 or so rpgs but plan on picking up most in the op.

But... but... Dat nice Vita screen :(

Yeah, I'm kind of having buyer's remorse on it. I don't have a PS3 out here so I can't do the workaround. Persona 4 and Innocence aren't coming to NA. After glancing at the complete list of games I can see my Vita gathering dust after I'm done with FFIV, FFT and possibly Disgaea 2+3. Feels bad man. :/

scy

Yeah, I'm kind of having buyer's remorse on it. I don't have a PS3 out here so I can't do the workaround. Persona 4 and Innocence aren't coming to NA. After glancing at the complete list of games I can see my Vita gathering dust after I'm done with FFIV, FFT and possibly Disgaea 2+3. Feels bad man. :/

Huh? Was this confirmed somewhere and I missed it?

Top Bottom