• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I dunno about that. I still fumble with HP/HK being on R1/R2 on controller. Six button fighters in general aren't very "pad friendly" unless the pad is like a Saturn pad or you abuse macros. Just IMO.

yeah but that's you. I personally think 4 face buttons and shoulder buttons is better than 6 face buttons. Everyone just use what they want. It's whatever.

LakeEarth

I dunno about that. I still fumble with HP/HK being on R1/R2 on controller. Six button fighters in general aren't very "pad friendly" unless the pad is like a Saturn pad or you abuse macros. Just IMO.
I always remap HP/HK to L1 and R1. SNES style for life.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I put HK on L1 and have L2 triple kick, R2 triple punches. Feels a lot better to me.

That's if you use a four button pad. On a six button pad I have zero reason to use a shoulder button.

Reasons SFV is more pad friendly than SFIV:

- No stupid 1 frame links
- No mash specials. Chun's legs are directional input now. So no need to plink or pre load a kick.
- There are no Ultras, only Critical Arts/Supers. Supers use only button, whereas Ultras required three, which requires either a shortcut macro or hitting all buttons at the same time (almost impossible with a four button pad). Having CA's require only one button simplifies things greatly.
- No FADC, meaning no more FADC combos.

That's on a six button pad.

Four button pads are different aren't optimal for Street Fighter IMO, being a six button game. I have no idea how four button pad players consistently hit focus (mp+mk) or V skill (mp+mk). It was hard for me to do on a dualshock 3. Four button pad will always have a sort of handicap on SF and other six button games, but a six button pad on SFV? Shit is pristine.

You should buy a six button pad play piano style going by your post if you find R1/R2 for HP/HK uncomfortable.

Mash special input is the one thing I couldn't get past playing SF IV on pad. Everything else was manageable for me. Getting rid of that input was smart. That took Chun Li from a character off my radar to my likely main in V.

I think mp+mk is easy.Your thumb is right there. I don't use shoulder buttons for throws in MK or Tekken cause it's easy.

Mash special input is the one thing I couldn't get past playing SF IV on pad. Everything else was manageable for me. Getting rid of that input was smart. That took Chun Li from a character off my radar to my likely main in V.

I think mp+mk is easy.Your thumb is right there. I don't use shoulder buttons for throws in MK or Tekken cause it's easy.
Yah mp+mk is easy, even HP+HK is pretty easy for me too. I mostly had trouble with buffering DP into d.HP , then FADC (Ryu Combo).

Focus isn't bad by itself, but combined with focus cancel combos? I shudder to think.

Legs takes getting used to and a lot of practice. I couldn't do it on a four button pad. I can on six because I can glide my fingers.

I'm selling my Hori Fighting Commander 4 when I get my stick. Anyone who wants a six button pad and uses a four button pad can buy it from me.

412ypY7GgpL.jpg

edit: just tried mp+mk on my ds4. Yeah, that's pretty good. I think I was thinking of just fadc combos.

That's if you use a four button pad. On a six button pad I have zero reason to use a shoulder button.

- No stupid 1 frame links
- No mash specials. Chun's legs are directional input now. So no need to plink or pre load a kick.
- There are no Ultras, only Critical Arts/Supers. Supers use only button, whereas Ultras required three, which requires either a shortcut macro or hitting all buttons at the same time (almost impossible with a four button pad). Having CA's require only one button simplifies things greatly.
- No FADC, meaning no more FADC combos.

That's on a six button pad.

Four button pads are different aren't optimal for Street Fighter IMO, being a six button game. I have no idea how four button pad players consistently hit focus (mp+mk) or V skill (mp+mk). It was hard for me to do on a dualshock 3. Four button pad will always have a sort of handicap on SF and other six button games, but a six button pad on SFV? Shit is pristine.

You should buy a six button pad play piano style going by your post if you find R1/R2 for HP/HK uncomfortable.

The problem is that you're thinking as if pad playing is completely objective, which it isn't. I could never do the stuff I do on a 6 button pad because it feels completely unnatural, whereas if I use a Dualshock or some other 4 button pad, I would play more comfortably.

For SF4, at least, I have my medium buttons set on R1/R2. This lets me Focus Attack when I want, and anything else really. L1/L2 are for my triple punch/kick macro, which lets me hit Ultras very easily. And thanks to how Red Focus works, I can hit both L buttons for it (even though I never use RFocus to begin with unless I'm dicking around with Yang).

Everyone has a preference, and there's no "you HAVE to use _____" situation when it comes to control method. Anything you can do on stick, you can do on controller in SF4. Some things are naturally harder, sure, but practice helps get over that. It's not cut and dry like you're making it out to seem.

I never said there's a you have to use situation.

I even said flat out you can use pad, stick, whatever on SFV especially since SFV is far more pad friendly than SFIV.

I do, however, disagree that SFIV is as you said, pad friendly. It isn't. At all. Some things will be harder, some things are impossible. The very virtue of it being harder to do a lot of things on pad on SFIV makes it not pad friendly. The game not being pad friendly does not mean "you can't use a pad on this game", because I, after all, use a pad. But it does mean that there's going to be a barrier that makes things harder to do in SFIV due to being pad. How does that mean pad friendly exactly? You can fish with your hands, and it'll be harder. That doesn't mean that your hands were made for catching fish.

yeah but a lot of people hate stick and find the dpad a lot better. So even if there's a few things harder on pad it still makes more sense for them to play pad overall.

yeah but a lot of people hate stick and find the dpad a lot better. So even if there's a few things harder on pad it still makes more sense for them to play pad overall.

PYHsHAe.jpg

Anyways it's pretty clear SFV is made for pad in mind. Whether or not we find tech that makes it not so pad friendly is up in the air.

DunpealD

FADC on pad is actually really easy. Only mash and charge things like Chun Li's legs, Juri's projectiles and Fuertes Quesadilla might prove a challenge. Which probably requires either button config change or change in how you hold the pad.

Another great post!

I was trying to figure out which buttons combo into Super and legs the other day.

I don't know how to get to a point to do combos. I kind of just do them. How do I know certain attacks make people stand up? Is this human reflex you're talking about? I would get hit out mid combo during SFV beta and it was really aggravating.

I'll find you an example.

See here: https://youtu.be/J2uPkfJoMS0?t=6m34s

I use hit confirms and I cancel into ex legs and get hit during ex leg start up and I'm just left confused.

Are you willing to train with me during SFV? I'm going to try to train with as many people as possible. I really hope SFV has an online training mode like Ultra.

Posting the C-Ryod 3S hit confirm tutorial video again :p.
cr.LP into cr.MK is not a link and what you did was not a hit confirm. More about that later on.

Usually the force standing attribute is a testing thing. You put the dummy on crouch and see how it reacts on hit. You can do that even right now with USFIV.

Combo testing is just simply trying to see what links into each other. There is a lot of testing to be done without frame data. You go through each move with a 1-2, i.e. Chun Li as an examle: cr.LP into st.MP, cr.LP into cr.MK, and so on with each button that would make sense.
Buttons with long animations like st.HP or st.HK for example do not make sense to use mid combo, because they can't be cancelled and lead to nothing else.

If you do not know frame data and need to know whether you are in advantage or not. You can use dummy record function, use the button you want you want to test and press and hold up. You block the attack and hold up too, the timing difference of the jumps will tell you.

After knowing what can combo, you try and see what is practical.
In fighting games nobody is going to try and confirm off each button, because the time period is too short. This is why you use hit confirms.

Hit confirms are a sequence of buttons that combo into each other and increases the time you can react and are part of your BnB reportoire. As in the posted tutorial video you only watch for the first attack to hit. Because if your first attack hits your other attacks are guaranteed to hit too. In a sense you can call a Hit Confirm a choreography.

SFV Chun Li's BnB is st./cr.LP, st.MP, cr.MK into legs.
Whether you can confirm on the second part which is the st.MP or not is another question and needs to be tested with a dummy put on random guard. But in general case you check the first hit, whether you hit or not is irrelevant you still follow up with st.MP. Having executed cr.LP, st.MP should have given you enough time to react whether you managed to get a hit or not. If you manged to get a hit you continue into cr.MK into legs. If your first attack got blocked then you need to decide what to do next after the st.MP, which gives you frame advantage.

Now as mentioned in the frame data post there are different types of Hit Confirms.

1. Slow attacks that leaves you enough time to react
  2. A Block String which is 100% safe on block
  3. A Frame Trap that can be broken through with armor or invincibility

Ryu f.HP or b.HK would be type 1.
Cammy doing cr.LP chain cancelling into cr.LP and special cancel into Spiral Arrow would be type 2.
The above mentioned Chun Li BnB is type 3.

If you want to try the USFIV equivalent out here are examples:
Important note: In USFIV you cannot special cancel chain cancelled normals. Chain cancels are normals cancelling into itself, which is usually only possible for lights. EDIT: It is also possible to cancel into other lights like cr.LK into cr.LP.

1. Ryu: f.HP into DP or advanced f.HP, cr.HP, DP
  2. Ken: cr.LP chain cancel into cr.LP, cr.LP into HP.DP. Possibly also Chun: cr.LK chain cancel cr.LK, cr.LK into EX Legs.
  3. Ryu: cr.MP, cr.MP, cr.HK

I hope this helps you understand Hit Confirms a little bit better.

Whether I am going to train with you or not is probably more of a question of connection quality, since I'm from the EU. If it is not laggy then sure.

FADC on pad is actually really easy. Only mash and charge things like Chun Li's legs, Juri's projectiles and Fuertes Quesadilla might prove a challenge. Which probably requires either button config change or change in how you hold the pad.

Posting the C-Ryod 3S hit confirm tutorial video again :p.
cr.LP into cr.MK is not a link and what you did was not a hit confirm. More about that later on.

Usually the force standing attribute is a testing thing. You put the dummy on crouch and see how it reacts on hit. You can do that even right now with USFIV.

Combo testing is just simply trying to see what links into each other. There is a lot of testing to be done without frame data. You go through each move with a 1-2, i.e. Chun Li as an examle: cr.LP into st.MP, cr.LP into cr.MK, and so on with each button that would make sense.
Buttons with long animations like st.HP or st.HK for example do not make sense to use mid combo, because they can't be cancelled and lead to nothing else.

If you do not know frame data and need to know whether you are in advantage or not. You can use dummy record function, use the button you want you want to test and press and hold up. You block the attack and hold up too, the timing difference of the jumps will tell you.

After knowing what can combo, you try and see what is practical.
In fighting games nobody is going to try and confirm off each button, because the time period is too short. This is why you use hit confirms.

Hit confirms are a sequence of buttons that combo into each other and increases the time you can react and are part of your BnB reportoire. As in the posted tutorial video you only watch for the first attack to hit. Because if your first attack hits your other attacks are guaranteed to hit too. In a sense you can call a Hit Confirm a choreography.

SFV Chun Li's BnB is st./cr.LP, st.MP, cr.MK into legs.
Whether you can confirm on the second part which is the st.MP or not is another question and needs to be tested with a dummy put on random guard. But in general case you check the first hit, whether you hit or not is irrelevant you still follow up with st.MP. Having executed cr.LP, st.MP should have given you enough time to react whether you managed to get a hit or not. If you manged to get a hit you continue into cr.MK into legs. If your first attack got blocked then you need to decide what to do next after the st.MP, which gives you frame advantage.

Now as mentioned in the frame data post there are different types of Hit Confirms.

1. Slow attacks that leaves you enough time to react
  2. A Block String which is 100% safe on block
  3. A Frame Trap that can be broken through with armor or invincibility

Ryu f.HP or b.HK would be type 1.
Cammy doing cr.LP chain cancelling into cr.LP and special cancel into Spiral Arrow would be type 2.
The above mentioned Chun Li BnB is type 3.

If you want to try the USFIV equivalent out here are examples:
Important note: In USFIV you cannot special cancel chain cancelled normals. Chain cancels are normals cancelling into itself, which is usually only possible for lights.

1. Ryu: f.HP into DP or advanced f.HP, cr.HP, DP
  2. Ken: cr.LP chain cancel into cr.LP, cr.LP into HP.DP. Possibly also Chun: cr.LK chain cancel cr.LK, cr.LK into EX Legs.
  3. Ryu: cr.MP, cr.MP, cr.HK

I hope this helps you understand Hit Confirms a little bit better.

Whether I am going to train with you or not is probably more of a question of connection quality, since I'm from the EU. If it is not laggy then sure.

<3 Love you!!!

Btw you mentioned pad is easy for anything but mash moves and charge characters lol. I guess my opinion is tempered by the fact I main Chun Li. :p

Rean

For example SFV Ryu has 4 different tatsus.
LK Tatsu pushes opponent away to corner and can lead to follow up super
MK Tatsu moves yourself and your opponent to corner
HK Tatsu switches sides but keeps you at point blank of your opponent and ignores the back roll, because the opponent will roll "into you".
EX Tatsu does max damage out of all Tatsus and blows opponent full screen and can combo into EX DP in corner.
Is it possible to punish someone as their still recovering from a back roll since he's that close, or can you just do something meaty instead?

DunpealD

<3 Love you!!!

Btw you mentioned pad is easy for anything but mash moves and charge characters lol. I guess my opinion is tempered by the fact I main Chun Li. :p

A little addendum. Chain cancel in USFIV is also possible going from light into another light like cr.LK into cr.LP. The restriction of not being able to cancel off chain cancels has been removed in SFV.

Is it possible to punish someone as their still recovering from a back roll since he's that close, or can you just do something meaty instead?

From what I have seen they have 100% invincibility. Whether it is possible to punish with a throw or not like the roll in SFxT, I haven't tested, but I doubt it. So meaty is a good option to go to and mix it up with throw, because if you only go meaties you become predictable and they will just block your stuff. For meaties you usually use attacks with long active frames so b.HK would be a prime example. If you can time shorter ones correctly then more power to you, but at like 3 active frames with st.MP, that might be a tough one without a frame of reference like whiffing two st.LPs or something. Which is what people did in USFIV to time safe jumps and other things like unblockables.

A little addendum. Chain cancel in USFIV is also possible going from light into another light like cr.LK into cr.LP. The restriction of not being able to cancel off chain cancels has been removed in SFV.

Okay. I'll wrap my head around all you've taught me. I won't fail you!

Back when I first started taking fighting games more seriously, I belonged in the camp where button inputs were more difficult to pull off on a standard gamepad when holding it normally, with shoulder button / trigger presses further adding to the inconsistency. This continues to be the case even after playing SFIV and other fighting games on one for several years. Trying to play claw style was also rather cumbersome for obvious reasons. That said, basic movement came more natural to me from the get-go, but I'm also a weirdo who plays on analog stick since I dislike how the D-Pad feels on any controller. Bit of a moot point, since it's already been established it's up to one's personal preferences.

After the SF V beta however, I think I ultimately prefer arcade stick. I just have to end up inside the comfort zone because currently I have that cliché problem of my one side being more accurate than the other, but it's something that'll pass I'm sure.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Anyways it's pretty clear SFV is made for pad in mind. Whether or not we find tech that makes it not so pad friendly is up in the air.

what

SF has always been made for 6 button arcade stick first - even moreso since EX moves were introduced.

You can play 100% fine with a pad, but SF as a series is not 'made for pad in mind.'

what

SF has always been made for 6 button arcade stick first - even moreso since EX moves were introduced.

You can play 100% fine with a pad, but SF as a series is not 'made for pad in mind.'

When I said it is being made for pad in mind, I did not mean it wasn't also made for stick in mind. It can be both, you know.

Dremark

Banned
T

I have read people are plinking to do the just frame on Karin's EWGF (Tenko iirc). In general it should be a lot more pad friendly and the Hori and Madcatz pads both look really nice too.

markwaters

Neo Member
I have read people are plinking to do the just frame on Karin's EWGF (Tenko iirc). In general it should be a lot more pad friendly and the Hori and Madcatz pads both look really nice too.

They are, but you can do this on pad with ease too as the timing isn't particularly strict in my experience. As long as you can perform a HP~MP press relatively quickly when you perform Tenko, you'll get the just frame version. It's probably easier to squeeze R1 (HP) and then quickly press Triangle (MP) on, say, a DS4 with shoulder buttons than it is to do the presses on a 6-button Saturn-style pad.

The Hori Fighting Commander 4 is great because it has both the six face buttons and the shoulder buttons for good measure. My friend uses one and I even though I've only ever played on stick since the late 90s, I can still use his FC4 pretty comfortably in most games.

Speaking of sticks, does anyone know where the best place to get one of the new Hori RAPV PS4 sticks with Xinput is? Play-Asia has them sometimes, but the shipping is like $80. Amazon has them, but the they are always from weird re-sellers and it's hard to tell if you're getting the new Xinput model or the old one -- or the shipping time is outrageous. I'm willing to spend about $160 on one, but they're usually around $200. I e-mailed Hori USA and the rep told me they have no plans to bring the new Xinput models to America, which is a bummer, but I'll import if I can get a decent price and can guarantee I'll get it in less than a month.

I have a Qanba Q4 that I love already and I play primarily on PC, but I want a PS4 stick so I can go to more sessions/tournaments this year and not have to bum a PS4 stick every time. It'd also be nice to have a second stick for friends/training sessions at my place.

DunpealD

Also for anybody who has interest in frame data and wants to see the difference of a "late active frame hit/block" in person and on the screen in numbers. I suggest booting up DoA5LR/CF go to free training, activate the data display, use Ayane and put the dummy on block.
Then use the QCF+K drill attack at different distances. You will see that the further away she is the less negative it will be.

what

i still don't get it

i blame the fever

She is talking about SFV not about the whole franchise. All SF prior to SFV have been made for arcade. Since post SFIV this is no longer the case.

Just like SFxT, SFV has been designed with pad in consideration. Which is probably why no "mash to special" character has appeared yet. Also Chun Li and her Lightning Legs, as the poster girl for this kind of special move, got changed to command in both games.

Little brain exercise again, this time with Birdie in Street Fighter V. Some general notes throughout four matches in a different format:

vs M. Bison

- Not gonna lie: straight-up flustered the first round. Didn't remember much of Bison's spacing so I kept pressing buttons willy-nilly as a result, didn't react to or punish much of his neutral jumping at all, didn't use V-Reversal to create distance when (easily) pressed to the corner, best reaction I could muster up for his unsafe sweep was a super late throw, didn't pop my V-Trigger regardless of trying to save it for a combo extension of sorts and so forth. Flatout messy. Should've arguably also wasted his time some more to give myself more breathing room to formulate a plan.

- Come round 2 though (1:12) I changed gears. Realized he liked to press buttons since I didn't deter him AT ALL previously, so I yanked him with the EX Chain. Admittedly risky because he could've jumped over it at the start of the round through a 'lucky' guess, so not the best of openings even if it did work. I started using Birdie's V-Skill to give myself some room to work with, with jump-ins and attempted combos at a safe-ish distance. Little late with my reflexes on the air grab set-up after that one can though. More variety in my buttons presses and utilizing quicker moves to attempt punishes compared to none at all previously. Could've maybe snuck in some more donuts to encourage Bison to run up to me a bit more since it builds V-Meter, but other than that I'm moderately content at how I adapted to my opponent.

- Final round at 2:07. Realizes what I said about the donuts, so I tried to manipulate his behaviour with this initially. Knew I could score anti-airs off of him if he tried neutral jumping a lot again if my reactions were there
(they weren't)
and it helped get him closer for my own neutral jumps or a command grab. I respected his space a little more, reacted (or tried) to his usual 'dash teleport forward into throw' shtick and started utilizing using Birdie's leap grab after all this time (deliberately keeping it in my backpocket) at specific timings to catch the Bison off-guard. I had some lacklustre hit confirms though and I started backing off at around 2:40. In hindsight, there was no logical reason for me to do the latter! I had a significant health lead, I was close to pushing Bison into the corner and... I cut him some slack. He regained composure, got to press his buttons once more, I didn't anti-air, didn't use V-Skills nor V-Trigger, some honest mistakes due to inexperience occurred like thinking the EX Bull Head had armor for the fireball and it quickly became a wrap. Flushed my advantage down the toilet like it was nothing.​

vs R. Mika

- Carried over some lessons here from the Bison fight. Made a more conscious effort to push Mika back when it seemed like the right time for it, and using more low attacks at various ranges to utilize Birdie's longer normals. More V-Skill usage early on too. Defense and anti-airing still on the rather lousy side, and arguably I should've used V-Reversal when being pinned down at approximately 4:05, but I kept (perhaps foolishly?) the meter to try and land either a V-Trigger combo or a safe activation given the length of its animation. A successful combo didn't transpire and the EX Bull Head might've gotten me in trouble here because of its recovery, since I had hoped she would stick out a limb with the armor on start-up (which it receives through V-Trigger) would soak it up. That said, at least V-Trigger gave me more mobility for weaving in and out of ranges, never mind the threat of Birdie's overall damage increase. Glad I tried to hold my ground when Mika got herself near the corner, but this too could've been handled better with less careless moves.

- From 4:55 onward, it was "pressing buttons: the round" for me. Didn't punish her unsafe attacks accordingly and I played it near her space where she shined, rather than taking advantage of Birdie's own tools. Never mind that my execution wasn't quite there yet, so it was a lose-lose proposition. My defensive ability still at a low.

- Round 3 at 5:33. Landed a big punish on one of her unsafe attacks (which she liked to throw out quite often) and I could've actually the stun here after two correct reads. If I had performed the MP Bull Head rather than the jab version, this round would've practically been in the bag right then and there. Didn't stay composed after she knocked me back a bit because I smelled blood; only raising this as an issue because she kept being unsafe, but in the end I'd like to think I wrapped this up relatively nicely. Outside of totally misgauging when to fish for a command throw.​

vs Ryu

- I view the first round as a good example of how misconceptions got me in trouble here. Didn't start out too bad initially, but the further the round advanced, the more dumb mistakes I made because the way other Ryu's played. Carelessly jumping in, frequently using the leap grab when incorrectly predicting fireballs, the works. Neglected my V-Skill usage once more, but I blame that on me not having a clear train of thought with this Ryu falling outside of my comfort zone. Pretty happy about how I'm intimidating the Ryu just by walking post V-Trigger at 7:20 however, which netted me combo pressure and good damage after my jump-in reaction. Could've been a KO right there if I used MP Bull Head instead of the jab variety, but I handled the situation well afterwards by shimmying out of his ranges.

- Round 2 (7:36) was me destroying myself, essentially. Repeated mistakes from the above, defense being my downfall once more and some errors in judgement like not punishing a badly timed Tatsu with Birdie's crouching HP + EX or fierce kick chain grab combo and disrespecting this player's ability to anti-air me. Held my own in the corner starting from the 7:50 mark, but that's about the only positive feedback I can muster up here.

- Last round commences at 8:19. Started using some tools again to control areas I've left ignored, with moderate success. Honest mistake at 8:35 though: I had no idea Ryu's Critical Art could punish jab Bull Head on reversal, but you could make the case I may have been too close for my own good anyways. I didn't sufficiently stop Ryu from controlling the pace of the match efficiently afterwards for a while, but I reacted appropriately to his screw-up later. I am also glad I exhibited patience at the 9 minute mark, because Ryu in his haste wasted all of his V-Trigger meter for very little gains once I gave him some breathing room to be on the safe side. And I didn't fall for the trap of trying to leap grab him during the fireball zoning, because competent Ryu's tend to be erratic with their timing in this context.​

vs Zangief

- Because of my experience against Zangief in the older Street Fighter games, I felt pretty confident in how to approach this match-up. I began the round fine, but dropping that easy combo at 10:04 after setting it up with the chain grab flustered me long enough for Zangief to get some solid damage in. Need to look into what to do to escape command grab situations like that. Tried to apply corner pressure later, but it went poorly since I was pressing the wrong buttons and wasn't forcing a reaction via V-Skill. Last standing kick was supposed to fierce kick for the overhead, too.

- Round 2 @ 10:52. Trying to play the footsie game, not handling it correctly. Did notice some gaps in his offense however (after being lucky that he didn't walk up close enough for the his Critical Art) and landed some sizeable punishes on him, though I messed up buffering my own Critical Art extension three times over. Honest mistake again trying to punish Zangief's V-Trigger; EX Chain would've been more ideal. Also capitalized on the observation that this player liking to stay grounded, albeit by the skin of my teeth.

- Improving my footsie game once round 3 starts (11:58), but the Zangief player is still head and shoulders above me in this regard. He's patiently whiff punishing me too and not going crazy on closing the gap; what I should've done here is chug donuts to make him want to approach me, since with the way he's been playing, I don't think he would've fallen for the usual can / banana traps much. Gained some mileage out of irregular leap grabs, but unfamiliarity was showing at 12:37 + 13:10, in the sense I missed opportunities for damage. I think I generally made the right type of calls, but refinement (or the lack thereof) almost did me in. Definitely needs to be worked on.​

I really liked the Zangief match, personally. The enemy player did a good job of indirectly teaching me what to look out for and facing the slow grappler archetype always makes for an impromptu crash course on fundamentals.

Dremark

Banned
Speaking of sticks, does anyone know where the best place to get one of the new Hori RAPV PS4 sticks with Xinput is? Play-Asia has them sometimes, but the shipping is like $80. Amazon has them, but the they are always from weird re-sellers and it's hard to tell if you're getting the new Xinput model or the old one -- or the shipping time is outrageous. I'm willing to spend about $160 on one, but they're usually around $200. I e-mailed Hori USA and the rep told me they have no plans to bring the new Xinput models to America, which is a bummer, but I'll import if I can get a decent price and can guarantee I'll get it in less than a month.

I have a Qanba Q4 that I love already and I play primarily on PC, but I want a PS4 stick so I can go to more sessions/tournaments this year and not have to bum a PS4 stick every time. It'd also be nice to have a second stick for friends/training sessions at my place.

I'm not sure if it's exactly the one you're looking for or if the shipping would make it cost prohibitive but NinNinGame has this: http://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/ps4-...yabusa-ps3ps4-brand-new-en-4961818025547.html which I *think* would likely fit the bill and is on sale. It looks like it came out 12/15 so I think it's the new one.

ShinMaruku

With regards to frame data and just training mode, doa5 is simply the best. It and skull girl's take in training mode should be standard.

With regards to frame data and just training mode, doa5 is simply the best. It and skull girl's take in training mode should be standard.
For modern games, sure. Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution though kicked it up a notch in several ways and it was disappointing to see how 5 scratched most of these features.

Warxard

Banned

KI has frame data and you can play arcade/story mode with the frame data still enabled whew

--

Alright, my Sadira is getting much better. Recluse and Spider Jumping seem to be my go-to to start conmbos. Got a decent 1-bar air combo and the manual setups are fine.

Just have difficulty against Shadow Jago now. :(

markwaters

Neo Member
I'm not sure if it's exactly the one you're looking for or if the shipping would make it cost prohibitive but NinNinGame has this: http://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/ps4-...yabusa-ps3ps4-brand-new-en-4961818025547.html which I *think* would likely fit the bill and is on sale. It looks like it came out 12/15 so I think it's the new one.

Nice! Yeah, that's the Xinput model. Shipping puts it pretty close to $180US for me; I might be willing to pay that just for the convenience. Awesome! Thanks for this!

https://youtu.be/IzXabmKkEkc

The third of four fights against a VSav Sasquatch player. I managed to stop his five win streak, but those ES ice towers and his standing normals that make for stupid good AAs were too strong. I got a lot more twitchy in this fight because I tried to play footsies, but with Hsien-Ko's walk speed it sort of ends up being a jumping battle for the neutral combined with ground teleports. I still had fun overall, but I can see that my cr.HK needs to be followed up with Tenrai-Ha more often whether it's on block or after a successful knockdown.
No, I mean Alex standing fierce punch, the one that looks like this:
colorswap.php

Glad I could help though.
I always thought it looked like an overhead. I used it a day ago and I can confirm it works. Now if only he could combo into Boomerang Raid with it.
This is an overhead whaaaaaa http://i.imgur.com/rfFWukr.gif[img] as an Alex main i never fucking knew this[/QUOTE]
It looks like one, but the SRK wiki didn't explain that, so it's easy to miss.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Great thread! Subbed.

I'm making a effort to get back into fighting games. Haven't really been much into them since the SNES (SF2 SSF2, MK1-3) and a little on PS1 and Dreamcast (Tekken 3, Soul Calibur).

I've had MKX for a while, enjoyed the last SFV beta, and just grabbed USFVI to learn more of the fundamentals before SFV is out.

I just got my first fightstick, the Chun Li TE2. I'd wanted to grab the TES+, but with Amazon saying those won't ship until April if you didn't preorder before Jan 26, I opted to just get the Chun Li stick now since I don't really care about the touchpad or L3/R3 since those are just for shortcuts (if anything) in most fighters.

I put in a few hours of practice last night, and adjusted to stick quicker than I expected. I still a bit to go to where I was on pad (which was pretty sucky anyway!), but by the end of the night I was having few issues with Ryu specials in USIV or Scorpion specials and fatalities in MKX.

I grabbed the Gootecks SF ebook on Amazon since it's on Kindle Unlimited and have been mostly reading through that while practicing the stuff he suggests. Very helpful since it's set up to learn the fundamentals with Ryu in that game and then transfer them to SFV. Does a good job of noting which things are gone in SFV so you don't waste time learning stuff that won't matter in two weeks.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread for tips as I dig deeper into fighting games. I hope to play a lot this weekend if this cold I came down with doesn't wipe me out.

Me reading through this thread:
48yRdm2.gif

I thought this was supposed to be for scrubs/noobs like me who just want to start getting into fighting games.... what's with all these difficult terms and whatnot? Did I miss a FAQ about them or something? Or am I just too far gone that I can't even understand half of the stuff that you guys are talking about?

fader

48yRdm2.gif

I thought this was supposed to be for scrubs/noobs like me who just want to start getting into fighting games.... what's with all these difficult terms and whatnot? Did I miss a FAQ about them or something? Or am I just too far gone that I can't even understand more than half of the stuff that you guys are talking about?

i don't blame you. people seem to forget not everyone knows what most of this stuff means.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I thought this was supposed to be for scrubs/noobs like me who just want to start getting into fighting games.... what's with all these difficult terms and whatnot? Did I miss a FAQ about them or something? Or am I just too far gone that I can't even understand half of the stuff that you guys are talking about?

Maybe check out the Gootecks book I mentioned. If you happen to have Kindle Unlimited, it's included. Otherwise it's $5. It does a decent job of explaining most of the terminology. Though I'd still like a better guide/dictionary if anyone has a link to share.

Maybe check out the Gootecks book I mentioned. If you happen to have Kindle Unlimited, it's included. Otherwise it's $5. It does a decent job of explaining most of the terminology. Though I'd still like a better guide/dictionary if anyone has a link to share.

I'm in middle east, can't buy from Amazon or any other major online shop :(

LakeEarth

I always thought it looked like an overhead. I used it a day ago and I can confirm it works. Now if only he could combo into Boomerang Raid with it.
Does a decent chunk and good stun too.

Landing super with Alex is low on his priority list. If opportunity knocks sure, but he does so much damage already, and his EX moves are really good.

LakeEarth

I'm stubborn and like to try and nail people with Hyper Bomb.

"YOU CAN'T ESCAPE!"

Opponent holds up. Escapes.

I do pick Hyperbomb from time to time because yes, landing it is oh so satisfying. You can make it inescapable by activating it just as your airborne opponent lands (great for people who empty jump to parry your anti-air).

Top Bottom