• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Frame Rate of Fallout 4 in Interiors is horrible [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
CTWcz7dXIAA4IgY

Guy streaming on ps4 right now. I haven't noticed any significant drops, certainly nothing "horrible." And I saw him play an interior section at the car factory during combat and the frame rate looked stable. Watching the stream kind of alleviated some concerns, but only really when you play it yourself can you pick up on these things so either way we'll see. If true, then disappointing. This game doesn't even look all that visually taxing.

The stream is titled Fallout 4 early. Check it out yourself and cone to your own conclusions.

Edit: Actually I don't know if he's playing on pc or ps4. It has PlayStation button prompts. When asked about frame rate, streamer says it's fine.

sdornan

I picture a broken, ugly mess of a game in my head reading some of these comments. Then I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see a new screenshot or video.

JackEtc

I see a lot of people freaking out in here so I thought I'd post.

FWIW, I've been playing on PS4 since Thursday, about 12 hours played. I'm generally pretty keen to technical hiccups and frame rate issues, but in the entire time I've played, nothing has ever stuck out of me enough to make note of. Games been perfectly playable and enjoyable.

A lot of you guys are freaking out over the littlest shit. Watching one animation of walking backwards looping over and over and over and over in a shitty compressed gif? Are you guys kidding? Of course you're gonna think it's bad. Guess what, you'll see it ONCE playing the game and thats IT, never again. It's like 1/100000th of the game. Ya'll gotta chill. Game looks great IMO, way more colorful than 3 and NV with an amazingly realized aesthetic and art style. Compressed web videos don't do it justice.

Mastperf

FWIW, I've been playing on PS4 since Thursday, about 12 hours played. I'm generally pretty keen to technical hiccups and frame rate issues, but in the entire time I've played, nothing has ever stuck out of me enough to make note of. Games been perfectly playable and enjoyable.
Get'em!

A lot of you guysl are freaking out over the littlest shit. Watching one animation of walking backwards looping over and over and over and over in a shitty compressed gif? Of course you're gonna think it's bad. You'll see it ONCE playing the game and thats IT, never again. Ya'll gotta chill. Game looks great IMO, way more colorful than 3 and NV with an amazingly realized aesthetic and art style. Compressed web videos don't do it justice.

Wow - that all sounds amazing. How is the loading, in your opinion? Particularly compared to Fallout 3 and Skyrim? That was one of the biggest negative to me in those games. Made me want to avoid going into little houses, even.

DOWN

Banned
If it truly does run worse on the PS4, then bethesda are completely incompetent or just simply did not put any effort into the PS4 version. There's no excuse for it either way. None. The PS4 has a more powerful GPU from the same vendor with the same architecture, the exact same CPU with a minor difference in clock speed, and faster, simpler memory setup. The systems are so similar in architecture that you'd practically have to try to make the game run worse on PS4.
For real. AC Unity having visual parity and running worse on PS4 was nuts (and somehow the parity has remained but performance issues swapped for Syndicate). Somehow Bethesda has managed to do it too? Despite almost every game from third parties having some sort of ps4 advantage?

JackEtc

Wow - that all sounds amazing. How is the loading, in your opinion? Particularly compared to Fallout 3 and Skyrim? That was one of the biggest negative to me in those games. Made me want to avoid going into little houses, even.

Like 10, maybe 20 seconds? Fast travel times a little longer than that maybe? It's a big open world, I understand why they need to be there. Not a big deal IMO, it never once has been so long that it's bothered me.

DOWN

Banned
Why? Not like it would be the first time.
There is no situation in which the games should be almost identical, but worse on PS4

Almost all third party games have some advantage on PS4 at least graphically (even when performance is a different story)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

A lot of you guys are freaking out over the littlest shit. Watching one animation of walking backwards looping over and over and over and over in a shitty compressed gif? Are you guys kidding? Of course you're gonna think it's bad. Guess what, you'll see it ONCE playing the game and thats IT, never again. It's like 1/100000th of the game. Ya'll gotta chill. Game looks great IMO, way more colorful than 3 and NV with an amazingly realized aesthetic and art style. Compressed web videos don't do it justice.

We need some more voices of comparison/reason like this: the freaking out in this thread is pretty hearty. I know someone playing the X1 version and hasn't had a noticable problem either which I was glad to hear.

Ambitious open world games of this scope will always have a few dips on console unless they go the Halo route with adaptive rez and such; actually... that would be a pretty awesome patch if they could implement optional adaptive resolution for the console versions (not sure if even possible, totally just guessing) :)

Like 10, maybe 20 seconds? Fast travel times a little longer than that maybe? It's a big open world, I understand why they need to be there. Not a big deal IMO, it never once has been so long that it's bothered me.

That's good - doesn't sound too bad. Is that going into little houses and shops too? Or just to go into larger structures? Was kinda hoping the smaller stuff might have no loading similar to Witcher 3. Also, have you played Fallout 3 and Skyrim/able to compare how it feels to those?

Now that I mention it, how would you say it compares to Fallout 3 in overall quality too?

JackEtc

We need some more voices of comparison/reason like this: the freaking out in this thread is pretty hearty. I know someone playing the X1 version and hasn't had a noticable problem either which I was glad to hear.

Ambitious open world games of this scope will always have a few dips on console unless they go the Halo route with adaptive rez and such; actually... that would be a pretty awesome patch if they could implement optional adaptive resolution for the console versions (not sure if even possible, totally just guessing) :)

Like I said, videos won't do it justice. Just buy it and play it. It's good. If there are really people out there that will let a shitty animation or 5 seconds too much of loading time or a shitty rock texture make them refuse to play the game, then they can go cry in their corner and be salty, because those are ridiculous reasons to miss out on a GREAT game.

That's good - doesn't sound too bad. Is that going into little houses and shops too? Or just to go into larger structures? Was kinda hoping the smaller stuff might have no loading similar to Witcher 3. Also, have you played Fallout 3 and Skyrim/able to compare how it feels to those?

Smaller structures still have the loading time. It's no big deal though.

I played 3 NV and Skyrim on PC, and am playing this on PS4.Controls feel good, and shooting feels great. I've definitely leaned around a corner, lined up the sights, and popped a dude in the head from far away when the vats percentage wasn't cutting it. It's not like call of duty or battlefield tight, but it's exponentially better than 3 and NV.

Holy shit, I've only seen okayish looking screenshots of the game so far but, boy, that is one UGLY game in motion.

I've seen worse in the framerate department. especially from Bethesda on ps3

Shaanyboi

Banned
Bethesda putting out a buggy game? Whaaaaaat?!

Seriously, this is entirely expected. Not excusable, but no one should be surprised.

JackEtc

Holy shit, I've only seen okayish looking screenshots of the game so far but, boy, that is one UGLY game in motion.

I've seen worse in the framerate department. especially from Bethesda on ps3

lmao. see what I mean. what's the point of even trying to help anymore

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Like I said, videos won't do it justice. Just buy it and play it. It's good. If there are really people out there that will let a shitty animation or 5 seconds too much of loading time or a shitty rock texture, then they can go cry in their corner and be salty, because those are ridiculous reasons to miss out on a GREAT game.

I agree 100%.

It's all about character development, immersion and adventure with Bethesda games, a true adventurer doesn't let the odd stumble get in the way of an amazing journey :)

Like I said, videos won't do it justice. Just buy it and play it. It's good. If there are really people out there that will let a shitty animation or 5 seconds too much of loading time or a shitty rock texture, then they can go cry in their corner and be salty, because those are ridiculous reasons to miss out on a GREAT game.

HdrvNFOn_400x400.jpg

JackEtc

So I made a video of the loading times in->out and out->in

Last video for today.

https://vid.me/5kSk

Fast traveling can take up to one minute.

IDK if this has been said, but it's worth noting that the building OP is loading in and out of is absolutely MASSIVE. I had to go in and clear raiders out of it and got completely lost, and it took me over an hour and a half to find them all. Multiple giant rooms, 3 stories, underground tunnels leading to entirely new wings just as big as the main section, long corridors, etc.

Trace

Banned
IDK if this has been said, but it's worth noting that the building OP is loading in and out of is absolutely MASSIVE. I had to go in and clear raiders out of it and got completely lost, and it took me over an hour and a half to find them all. Multiple giant rooms, 3 stories, underground tunnels leading to entirely new wings just as big as the main section, long corridors, etc.

And he said it was a medium/small building.

Heh, and this is why trusting one person is not always the most realistic picture.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
For real. AC Unity having visual parity and running worse on PS4 was nuts (and somehow the parity has remained but performance issues swapped for Syndicate). Somehow Bethesda has managed to do it too? Despite almost every game from third parties having some sort of ps4 advantage?

Bethesda games always are more CPU-restricted than GPU because of all the simulations for NPCs and items going on even when youre not there. We know Xbox CPU is faster than PS4 CPU while PS4 GPU is faster than Xbox GPU. Also they started development on Xbox.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

F.uck, god damn.

JackEtc

And he said it was a medium/small building.

Heh, and this is why trusting one person is not always the most realistic picture.

Off the top of my head it's the biggest singular building I've been into so far in 12 hours of playing.

EDIT: No it definitely is. The place is gigantic.

Like I said, videos won't do it justice. Just buy it and play it. It's good. If there are really people out there that will let a shitty animation or 5 seconds too much of loading time or a shitty rock texture make them refuse to play the game, then they can go cry in their corner and be salty, because those are ridiculous reasons to miss out on a GREAT game.

Smaller structures still have the loading time. It's no big deal though.

I played 3 NV and Skyrim on PC, and am playing this on PS4.Controls feel good, and shooting feels great. I've definitely leaned around a corner, lined up the sights, and popped a dude in the head from far away when the vats percentage wasn't cutting it. It's not like call of duty or battlefield tight, but it's exponentially better than 3 and NV.

I really appreciate your responses. They have gotten me more excited overall. The loading stuff is disappointing though. Maybe Witcher 3 just spoiled me, but I don't see why loading should be necessary for small houses and structures. Curious how long the loading times actually were in Skyrim and Fallout 3 (15 seconds? 30?); they felt pretty long and intrusive in those games.

Auctopus

The amount of double standards in this thread compared to some of the reactions to other AAA releases this year is embarassing.

Wait a minute, you don't understand, we already had a poster explain to us days ago in the Ultra screenshot thread that that building is basically a tiny room that only barely approximates the vast size of a car factory, from his experience watching someone else play the game. He even supplied an image as proof, one that clearly wasn't cherrypicked and did a fantastic job of illustrating the true(ly limited) scope of the area. Trust me, GAF's pre-release analysis game is through the roof, so you might want to re-evaluate your personal experience with the game JUST to make sure.

Can't really say. let's say small-middle sized.

hmm.

well now I'm confused

JackEtc

Yea actually, here's the exact quote on that. So you're saying he's just BSing?

lmao yeah, BS

It's 2:30 here and I should be sleeping but im kinda too zooted rn for that so Im just gonna fire up the game and head over to the building. I'll post some screens in a few

lmao yeah, BS

It's 2:30 here and I should be sleeping but im kinda too zooted rn for that so Im just gonna fire up the game and head over to the building. I'll post some screens in a few

Are you sure your zootedness had no effect on the way you perceived the game?

roytheone

I really appreciate your responses. They have gotten me more excited overall. The loading stuff is disappointing though. Maybe Witcher 3 just spoiled me, but I don't see why loading should be necessary for small houses and structures. Curious how long the loading times actually were in Skyrim and Fallout 3 (15 seconds? 30?); they felt pretty long and intrusive in those games.

Same. Having no loading screens in the Witcher for buildings just made the world feel that more as one big whole instead of separate levels. Disappointed that fallout still has them, even if they are relatively short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom