• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Frame Rate of Fallout 4 in Interiors is horrible [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackEtc

Suppose it's something you'd have to try before knocking

I can imagine games where you don't have to pay much attention or think at all, like Call of Duty multiplayer, being more fun when you're high

Fallout can totally be one of those games where you don't have to pay much attention or think at all, that's whats awesome about it. I played Fallout 3 and NV before I started smoking and even then, they were my go to podcast games because you could just turn on something to listen to, and wander. I've been looking forward to FO4 so much because of that very aspect of Bethesda RPGs. Unfortunately I'm still so early in the game where I can't really just wander off and explore cause I'm still pretty weak, but it's still been awesome to wander around where I know it's safe.

No they're fine.
Huh, I coulda sworn when I looked into getting 3 installed on Bootcamp on my macbook that everyone was saying it was busted on windows 10. Good to know though!

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Really? 20 something seconds every few minutes is going to prevent you from playing an awesome game? Think about what you're saying.

I can't even
KuGsj.gif
have fun watching from the sidelines I guess

Those loading times take you out of the experience. I can see how it might be annoying for some to load a house for 20 seconds, find nothing but random stuff inside its two rooms, load the world for 20 seconds. With how much Ram this gen has compared to the last they should easily be able to preload all buildings in the close vincinity. Bethesda just doesn't care to change their engine. It's just like their animation system, why change what you keep getting away with?

Really, you're gonna keep up the PR shit for everything? These long times are long, Pete.

I didn't say they weren't long load times, Lulubop. I implied that this is one area where the game is basically keeping in with industry standards - and so blowing it out of proportion like it's a trait exclusive to Fallout 4 isn't very grounded or reasonable. It's not as though I take any issue with simply pointing out that the load times are long, or don't you think I would have chimed in before that point? But it also just doesn't make any sense for people who have played games like The Witcher 3, Grand Theft Auto 5, Dragon Age Inquisition, and so on and so forth to act as though long load times are something they've not experienced in a modern open world, or that Fallout 4 somehow stands out for the length of its load times as they were measured here. You don't have to like that I said it, but I'm sure you can come up with a better response than 'lol whatever you say Todd Howard', maybe one that addresses what I was actually saying? After all, tell me, am I wrong?

Hasney

Really, you're gonna keep up the PR shit for everything? These long times are long, Pete.

They seem quicker than Bloodborne at launch, but the thing about the Bloodborne load times were that you only got annoyed by them if you kept dying.

Rudiano

Banned
I had the most annoying frame drops while playing and it happened so frequently within 15 minutes of play that I actually got turned off my PS4. Its a shame because I was liking the game, I will wait and see if new patch is released that fixes this before I jump back on, I really dont want to ruin my play

JackEtc

I remember Bloodborne's loading times being SIGNIFICANTLY longer than what I've experienced in Fallout so far. Same with Witcher 3, those were brutal.

Those loading times take you out of the experience. I can see how it might be annoying for some to load a house for 20 seconds, find nothing but random stuff inside its two rooms, load the world for 20 seconds. With how much Ram this gen has compared to the last they should easily be able to preload all buildings in the close vincinity. Bethesda just doesn't care to change their engine. It's just like their animation system, why change what you keep getting away with?

I understand, I'd of course rather have shorter loading times, but, it is what it is. But if you can't have the experience seamlessly or with near instant loading times you'd rather just not have it at all? That's what I don't get. I want fallout. I'm gonna play fallout. No matter what the loading times or w/e is

Hasney

Solution, git gud.

I'm still not past the second stage of Bloodborne. My TV has close to 80ms of input lag even in Game mode and I only did the first stage at someone elses house. New TV by the end of the year then gitting gud shall happen.

So yes, those load times got to me :(

bombshell

i know bethesda games don't really launch in a great state but i'm surprised it's the PS4 that has issues. if anything i'd say it would be XB1 because it's at 1080p 30fps same as PS4 when most games only manage 900p.

i'll be getting the PC version but if I cant get 60fps or it just runs like shit on my AMD card then I'll be getting it for either XB1/PS4.

It's not just the PS4 version that has issues.

I experienced the same problems in the same building on Xbox One instead of PS4. You can provoke the framedrops by having lots of light sources in your FOV and while the lighting looks awesome it seems to tax the GPU quite a lot. Especially the moving lights in that building. Other buildings and dungeons were flawless though so far. (I'm just 5 hours in)

JackEtc

I'm still not past the second stage of Bloodborne. My TV has close to 80ms of input lag even in Game mode and I only did the first stage at someone elses house. New TV by the end of the year then gitting gud shall happen.

80ms?!?! What are you playing on?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Loading times are half the reason I buy these games on PC. I watched a roommate play through half of F3 on PS3 and the loading was super long.

Yeah, dying and fast traveling in The Witcher 3 wasn't great, but you had way fewer loading screens than Fallout 4.

Solution, git gud.

True, but my point is, it doesn't matter much. Idk. Load times bother me, but whatever, you know? Remember Bloodborne's original load times (idk if they've patched it since)? And that was every time you died, which was a lot.

Edit: oh, everyone's already talking about Bloodborne lol bed time for me. I'm losing it

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I remember Bloodborne's loading times being SIGNIFICANTLY longer than what I've experienced in Fallout so far. Same with Witcher 3, those were brutal.

I understand, I'd of course rather have shorter loading times, but, it is what it is. But if you can't have the experience seamlessly or with near instant loading times you'd rather just not have it at all? That's what I don't get. I want fallout. I'm gonna play fallout. No matter what the loading times or w/e is

Yeah, there I am on the same page as you are.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nothing beats the loading times in Styx: Master of Shadows. Holy hell that was infuriating. I know me being terribad at the game didn't help, but sheesh... super harsh stealth game + long loading times = awful combination :( I liked the game otherwise, and beat it, but I needed a laptop to distract me in-between loading screens or I'd have given up.

In a game like Fallout, that sounds absolutely unbearable, since the point is for the world to be so immersive (instead of more linear missions).

I can't believe we are at 58 pages. The framerate is GOOD guys, I have the game on PS4 and the framerate drops are very very rare (I'm a super sensitive to drops, Bloodborne pissed me off, I have no problems here).

ekim

I can't believe we are at 58 pages. The framerate is GOOD guys, I have the game on PS4 and the framerate drops are very very rare (I'm a super sensitive to drops, Bloodborne pissed me off, I have no problems here).

It's just in the particular building and maybe some other with same setup of light sources.

roytheone

So, how many loading times are there? For example, does entering a shop to sell stuff have a loading screen? That kind of stuff I tend to get annoyed by, even if it is short, because you will be doing it so often.

JackEtc

A 2005 720p Samsung. I've just been hesitant to upgrade it because it works still, but before I finally managed to find someone that tested it, I thought I just sucked at these kind of games.

Damn man, I've NEVER heard of 80ms input lag haha. Happy to hear you're getting rid of it

So, how many loading times are there? For example, does entering a shop to sell stuff have a loading screen? That kind of stuff I tend to get annoyed by, even if it is short, because you will be doing it so often.

You have loadings when you enter in some buildings, big ones (pretty short, 5 secs maybe).

If they're more than 5 seconds on PC I'm calling shenanigans.

You mean on SSD? Yeah, I feel that. Only open world game I've played this gen that doesn't basically load instantly off an SSD would be GTA V, and GTA V's got some real good reasons for that shit.

forms

I have been holding off booking this since I am always so disappointed in the performance in Bethesda games. I guess this is another one for the "perhaps in the future" pile.

ekim

Not that many. Only large buildings have a loading screen. And
Diamond City (a city within a city)
for some reason.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
You mean on SSD? Yeah, I feel that. Only open world game I've played this gen that doesn't basically load instantly off an SSD would be GTA V, and GTA V's got some real good reasons for that shit.

You guys have convinced me to free enough space on my small SSD to fit this on it.

Watched the video from the 1st post expecting it too be really bad, with how the post goes on about massive problems and just noticed a little bit of stutter, so big over reaction and nothing to worry about at all.

ekim

Watched the video from the 1st post expecting it too be really bad, with how the post goes on about massive problems and just noticed a little bit of stutter, so big over reaction and nothing to worry about at all.

Look at the third video or (That walkthrough of the building)

You guys have convinced me to free enough space on my small SSD to fit this on it.

I'm almost positive it'll be worth it. Playing Fallout 3 or New Vegas on an SSD for the first time makes you wonder how you got by before, it's such a huge difference where load times are concerned. Witcher 3 has one of the most profound differences I've seen so far - 20 to 40 second load times became two second load times. It's insanity.

Hasney

I'm almost positive it'll be worth it. Playing Fallout 3 or New Vegas on an SSD for the first time makes you wonder how you got by before, it's such a huge difference where load times are concerned. Witcher 3 has one of the most profound differences I've seen so far - 20 to 40 second load times became two second load times. It's insanity.

Yeah, I need to get a bigger SSD, this 64GB isn't cutting it anymore. Getting the XBox One Elite Bundle and an SSHD for my PS4 as well.

Those loading times take you out of the experience. I can see how it might be annoying for some to load a house for 20 seconds, find nothing but random stuff inside its two rooms, load the world for 20 seconds. With how much Ram this gen has compared to the last they should easily be able to preload all buildings in the close vincinity.

When Fallout 4 was announced I foolishly believed that would be the case, at least for small buildings. Shame really.

SAiLO

Went with PS4 Pip-Boy Edition. Might keep it sealed in the box and go down the PC route instead.

THIS SHIT IS DISAPPOINTING!

King_Moc

Banned

Witcher 3 on an ssd is like some kind of miracle. Unless you're fast travelling to Novigrad it effectively has no load times. The screen just fades for a second and you're there. I can't imagine Bethesda would be able to get a game running like that though.

hesido

A 2005 720p Samsung. I've just been hesitant to upgrade it because it works still, but before I finally managed to find someone that tested it, I thought I just sucked at these kind of games.

My LG is probably somewhere around 60-70 milliseconds (tested on RockBand manually), but indeed, I wasn't able to pass a certain pix-the-cat level, 20 or so times with no results, passed on first try on my brothers TV. That specific level was more twitchy then others apparently, as I was managing further levels without or much less problems.

sirap

Witcher 3 on an ssd is like some kind of miracle. Unless you're fast travelling to Novigrad it effectively has no load times. The screen just fades for a second and you're there. I can't imagine Bethesda would be able to get a game running like that though.

Bruh stop comparing Fallout 4 to Witcher 3. You can't even pick up objects in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom