• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Greatness of the Star Wars Prequels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

Doug Chiang is a great concept artist and especially in PM got a lot of good designs in there. ILM has always had a Moebius influence, but for this time around they really went wild. For instance, Gungan stuff had a better sense of alt-tech than, say, Ewoks.

tumblr_lsqz6yKiUv1qg10guo1_1280.jpg

Glad he's still around for the new stuff.
Absolutely gorgeous.

When I was a kid I read that Lucas had originally envisioned 12 episodes, later cut down to nine, and always assumed that last set would come sometime after the prequels. It wasn't until maybe 2008 that I gave up on the new films, when Lucas started talking about how ROJ was the end of the story, not to mention the original cast was starting to get up there in years.

I learned about this last week, and part of me still thinks it was made up by PR.

The moment we realized that parentage had anything to do with Force sensitivity (i.e. literally the first time we're told about the Force in the movies) was the minute a non-biological explanation went out the window.

Tom_Cody

Maybe it was my teenage self but I loved the battles. I think the large scale battles really made it to be Star WARS. Emphasis on the word "Wars". It made me feel there really was a large scale galactic war happening on multiple planets. We got to see so much more of Lucas' universe thanks to the prequels and regardless of whether you cry CGI we got to see these worlds thanks to CGI. Bespin was CGI too. And yes I saw the OT first, hell I rewatched all of them before each movie. I like them both but I like the battles of two large armies in the galaxy rather than the empire vs a rag tag band of rebels. Sorry for the gifs

xzUlFFT.gif

wFnu1en.gif

zU1wWZy.gif

UUC7Y7M.gif

10x37uo.gif

OyD0oXH.gif

vgbLkf5.gif

xheRcjK.gif

Fuck yes.

This. The CG in the prequels is flawed, but it served its purpose as a tool to present Lucas's vision of the Star Wars universe. I love the scale and scope of these sequences.

Ishida

Banned
Man, I cheered out loud during this scene in the theater. I unabashedly love this.

Me too! The whole theater was cheering during this scene.

You know, the funny thing about prequel haters is that they always rant about the "flashy lightsaber duels with backflips and jumps" and that they are "too fast instead of the amazing slowness of the OT trilogy".

And those are the same people who jack off to the Clone Wars CGI cartoon.

tumblr_mlhdghuVKg1s60gaio1_500.gif

You know... Just like the OT! :D

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm convinced that anyone who hates the Yoda saber fight is just trying to find things to hate for the sake of hating them because they're PT.

Hey, we're all welcome to have our own opinions, no matter how laughably bad they are!

Likewise to all of you!

Ishida

Banned
I'm convinced that anyone who hates the Yoda saber fight is just trying to find things to hate for the sake of hating them because they're PT

The Headcanon is strong with them. That scene was great. My jaw was on the floor and I had goosebumps during the whole scene. The very instant Yoda enters the room I knew shit was about to get real.

Ray Wonder

The Headcanon is strong with them. That scene was great. My jaw was on the floor and I had goosebumps during the whole scene. The very instant Yoda enters the room I knew shit was about to get real.

He's supposedly one of the best to ever do it, and this scene definitely demonstrates that. I would expect nothing less from Yoda.

Ishida

Banned
He's supposedly one of the best to ever do it, and this scene definitely demonstrates that. I would expect nothing less from Yoda.

And besides, it's not like he just used his lightsaber. The first part of the fight was just by using the Force. Hell, he deflected and absorbed Force Lightning without much effort.

munchie64

You know, the funny thing about prequel haters is that they always rant about the "flashy lightsaber duels with backflips and jumps" and that they are "too fast instead of the amazing slowness of the OT trilogy".

And those are the same people who jack off to the Clone Wars CGI cartoon.

tumblr_mlhdghuVKg1s60gaio1_500.gif

You know... Just like the OT! :D
That's because they actually have good stories and characters to back them up and give them impact. So yeah... just like the OT.
This just shows that you truly have no idea what you're even arguing against. No one cares about how slow and fast any of it is. I don't think there's a single post in this thread or the other few that have popped up recently.

Ishida

Banned
That's because they actually have good stories and characters to back them up and give them impact. So yeah... just like the OT.
This just shows that you truly have no idea what you're even arguing against. No one cares about how slow and fast any of it is. I don't think there's a single post in this thread or the other few that have popped up recently.

Yeah sure, whatever you say. What I say is the usual bitching.

And about the bolded. I lol'd.

aeolist

Banned
I'm convinced that anyone who hates the Yoda saber fight is just trying to find things to hate for the sake of hating them because they're PT.

i'm convinced that anyone who doesn't believe someone else's personal reasons for liking or disliking things is kind of a jerk

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
All of them?
star-wars-gif.gif

I don't know why this scene gets mocked so much, the later parts of this duel cross into the realm of unnecessarily over the top, but this was during the meatiest part of the duel. It's a 1 second part where after they are each trading blows and clashing perfectly they clearly try to both surprise the other but also end up clashing.

It was to show how evenly matched they were.

If people wanted to make fun of a scene in that duel that deserves to be made fun of it should be the part where they are swinging from cables wildly slashing at each other pointlessly.

It's the fact that if you watch the phantom menace and the clone wars, the duels feel way too rehearsed and very unnatural, there is no emotion behind them, they're over produced and super robotic. It isn't the flashy jump stuff that should be under criticism, it's the fact that they don't feel tense or exciting to watch. The duels in episode 3 are a bit better in that regard, the early parts of vader vs obiwan's duel before they get into the whole lava thing are flashy sure, but they are shot and directed better so they really feel like two guys giving it their all.

munchie64

I like Clone Wars (With the exception of Ahsoka....).
What was lol worthy then? I mean I presented what the argument actually and you completely ignored it so you could keep pulling out excuses like there's some kind of conspiracy for prequel bashing.

Ishida

Banned
What was lol worthy then? I mean I presented what the argument actually and you completely ignored it so you could keep pulling out excuses like there's some kind of conspiracy for prequel bashing.

Never said there was any "conspiracy".

I just said that the Clone Wars cartoon feels NOTHING like the OT.

I don't know why this scene gets mocked so much, the later parts of this duel cross into the realm of unnecessarily over the top, but this was during the meatiest part of the duel. It's a 1 second part where after they are each trading blows and clashing perfectly they clearly try to both surprise the other but also end up clashing.

It was to show how evenly matched they were.

If people wanted to make fun of a scene in that duel that deserves to be made fun of it should be the part where they are swinging from cables wildly slashing at each other pointlessly.

I agree with this. But it seems people believe they are incredibly funny by taking a scene that lasts for about one second and a half, making a looping GIF out of it and presenting it as something that ruined the franchise.

Ray Wonder

Why would people lie about something so stupid, though? And why would that be the go-to for someone in response to discovering someone doesn't like a movie you like?

Because it's Star Wars

Also, I wasn't 100% steadfast serious about what I said. I was just saying it's an awesome scene basically.

munchie64

Never said there was any "conspiracy".

I just said that the Clone Wars cartoon feels NOTHING like the OT.
Maybe I read the first post I responded to wrong, but it sure sounded like you were saying people were hypocrites for liking CW fights over PT fights and that they like OT fights cause of "slowness" or whatever. I pointed out a common element between the OT and CW to argue against both of those things, but perhaps I misunderstood?

sphagnum

Banned

On the other hand, this is my absolute favorite part of the duel because it is the essence of swashbuckling.

Ray Wonder

assuming that everyone is lying about this isn't conducive to good conversation

No it's not. I can believe what I want outside of conversation. I can have a discussion about the scene separate from those feelings. Which is something I frequently do.

Like I mention above though, I wasn't serious about it. I didn't think people would take me literally because it seems slightly absurd that no one has ever disliked the Yoda scene for legitimate reasons.

I'm going to stop you right there. It's all just retconning George bullshit. The guy lost the plot when he started the midichlorians crap and he's been piling it on ever since. Fuck me it's bad.

Yea. It seems he tried to cram everything into the last 5 min.

Yoda saying: "failed I have, to exile I must go" is so unbelievably out of character for him. The yoda we've been made to believe would try to gather the rest of the Jedis and try to save the rest of the Jedi order - not go into hiding and let all remaining Jedis be killed.

Now, if they explained that he foresaw the future and that a young jedi will restore balance 20 years from now, even if it means the death of the Jedis, then maybe it would make sense - because it's the same speech he gave to Luke before he left Dagobah to save Leia and Han. That's the sacrifice Yoda had to make.

But Lucas, completely without a writer to tell him his story was crap would not have seen that angle.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Lol. I'm not saying there was.

What I am saying is that for years I was pretty much the lone voice, on this site and others, arguing that it was fact that there would be a new trilogy, that it would involve Luke (not some EU crap) and stating when it would be announced and released. The chorus against me consisted of insults, 'Lucas said 6 was the end,' 'it'll ruin Vader's sacrifice,' and 'there's no way to continue the story.' Each of those more laughable than the previous.

I don't know you or your post history (although your avatar cracks me up), but I am fairly certain that you never echoed any of my posts, nor ate any crow on the day of the great serving. If I am mistaken, blame it on the PTSD. Sorry if there has been any confusion.

One thing I very clearly recall is arguing with you about Palpatine appearing in the new trilogy either as a force ghost, as a clone, or as some other construction that ultimately accomplishes the same thing. At the time it seemed like the worst possible idea to me, but in hindsight I was too emotionally invested in my own interpretation of the saga, which is why I brought it up in this thread to say I'd eat any crow you wish to serve if it ends up happening.
I'm not really strongly against the idea anymore but I do think these kinds of bets are fun.

Another, entirely unrelated occasion I recall, is when you made a short film titled "M is for Mario" which I really enjoyed and shared on facebook :)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The moment we realized that parentage had anything to do with Force sensitivity (i.e. literally the first time we're told about the Force in the movies) was the minute a non-biological explanation went out the window.

true. The bigger issue I was discussing with Ushojax was "even if it follows logically from the OT, why spell it out in the prequels? What purpose does it serve to go into those details?"

Sulik2

What the hell is this?! What's going on here?

The last thing they need to do is keep discovering new powers... like Luke in the EU could transport objects... or use force powers on a black hole?

Gah Fate of the Jedi has so much stupid crap in it.

One thing I very clearly recall is arguing with you about Palpatine appearing in the new trilogy either as a force ghost, as a clone, or as some other construction that ultimately accomplishes the same thing. At the time it seemed like the worst possible idea to me, but in hindsight I was too emotionally invested in my own interpretation of the saga, which is why I brought it up in this thread to say I'd eat any crow you wish to serve if it ends up happening.
I'm not really strongly against the idea anymore but I do think these kinds of bets are fun.

Another, entirely unrelated occasion I recall, is when you made a short film titled "M is for Mario" which I really enjoyed and shared on facebook :)

We are bros now.

Fj0823

Ok no. Sorry but no. I am the biggest Clone Wars/Prequel/OT fanboy there is but If you truly believe ANYONE was emotionally invested in Savage Opress then you're out of it.

Savage was just a brute killing characterd left and right because crazy. Pretty much a non character. Just a plot device to get to Maul

Then Sidious randomly shows up and shit goes down because reasons.

That fight stands entirely on rule of cool. And we love it that way.

https://youtu.be/ORWPCCzSgu0?list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D&t=359

Mr Plinkett's (Red Letter Media's) Star Wars reviews are so spot on, specifically the critique of the light saber fights contrasted to the emotional content of the original movies. It shows how vapid, empty, meaningless the prequel fights are. No matter how much more flashy the fights were in the prequels, they lack any emotional impact.

This fight had a lot of good elements in it. this gif is not really a fair representation of the entirety of it.

Also, putting the original as some emotional rollercoaster- is exaggerated greatly. the choreography was nothing amazing. nostalgia blinds you from the parts of that which was objectively shitty.

I think there was a lot of really cool elements with the lightsaber battles in the prequels.

Maul vs Obi and Qui-Gon Jinn, for all that films problem still enlisted in a really great fight that had interesting movement, choreography, music and composition. the way the camera tracks was also the highlight of the film. Arguable the only point in the entire film were you had a real sense of space and the actors running through it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Problem with all the prequel fights, beyond the Plinket review points about the character conflict, is almost never are the combatants fighting to hit each other, they're fighting to hit their marks. With the OT fights, especially in Empire and Jedi, you felt the fights were two guys trying to harm each other. The prequels feel exactly the opposite. They're fighting like they're afraid to hurt each other, because that's not what the dance coach told them to do.

Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson were the best parts of prequel trilogy. BUT I don't blame the actors as script was just bad. I mean come on GL succeed in making Natalie Portman look like a bad actress.

I think it's unfair to lump episode 3 together with the other two.
Regardless, it still blows my mind how one of the biggest, most iconic franchises in the history of cinema spawned such terrible movies.
I mean, how did that happen? How did those scripts get approved? How was such terrible acting deemed acceptable? Was the person in charge of casting drunk?
It failed so hard on so many levels that it almost feels like it was on purpose because I can't wrap my head around such a monumental fuck up actually happening.

With the new movie looking so promissing it hurts even more.
They should make new ones so we can pretend those abominations never happened.
They really drag the experience of watching the saga down.

I think it's unfair to lump episode 3 together with the other two.
Regardless, it still blows my mind how one of the biggest, most iconic franchises in the history of cinema spawned such terrible movies.
I mean, how did that happen? How did those scripts get approved? How was such terrible acting deemed acceptable? Was the person in charge of casting drunk?
It failed so hard on so many levels that it almost feels like it was on purpose because I can't wrap my head around such a monumental fuck up actually happening.

George Lucas had been retired for decades, and rode on the success as the creator of Star Wars, but remember- He didn't direct ESB or ROTJ. There is also some who say that he got massive help for the first film and that the 1AD did a lot of the directive. I don't know if that is true.

But what happens is that George Lucas become known as one of the most legendary directors. Yes, American Grafitti and HTX gave him credit, but he did not have the legacy that of his ULCA colleagues had. George Lucas empire grows with the franchise. He was very smart by not giving all the toy endorsement away.

So when Star Wars returned, he was in a position of being able to do completely, fucking what he wanted, in a field he had not engaged in since 83. Nobody could say things to him. No executive producers who come in worried and demands all these press screenings. You're surrounded by "yes, people".

IMO that was the difference between peter jackson doing the LOTR and the Hobbit. People were pissed when he got LOTR. People said he would fail, he was abysmal, he could do nothing but special effects, he would crack under such a large production, only spielberg or cameron could handle such a big production.
And that questioning, that doubt, that desire to prove himself must have done a hell of a lot for LOTR to be as amazing as it was.
For the Hobbit its the opposite. nobody says anything. sure, dailies are shit and production is chaos, but its peter- he knows what he is doing! we're not gonna doubt the guy who made one of the biggest miracles of cinema.

So in my mind- This is all just the failures of not having coworkers around you who dare tell you when you're stuff is shit. When you only hang around "yes, your awesome" type people, you yourself begin to change, and your entitlements and your own picture of your self changes. And a lot of the time, what emerges on the other side, has a unrealistic unhinged attitude towards one own work.
That is basically what I think happened.

George Lucas needed a big dedicated bright team of writers. But it was his baby. He had these darlings that needed to be slayed. He needed someone else to tell him what star wars meant to the public. I promise you that something like midiclorians would have gotten slayed in the writers meeting on day 2 or 3. There was nothing- Absolutely nothing sound about that choice.

Lastly, timing. All late 90s movies completely (save the matrix) underestimated the value of CGI. Had the prequels been released in 2015, and had another franchise taken star wars place to show the problems of a 90% CGI fest, I don't think Lucas would have made that mistake. But then again. Gollum in TTT was the best realization of a CGI character, and Jackson and friends completely forgot the lessons learned with the hobbit.
I feel that the Hobbit trilogy is a much large offense. It's a much worse realization. You can see what George Lucas went for. He failed on a lot of that execution, but the Hobbit is just small. It has nothing to say. It's like Robin Hood. It's completely formless.

munchie64

Ok no. Sorry but no. I am the biggest Clone Wars/Prequel/OT fanboy there is but If you truly believe ANYONE was emotionally invested in Savage Opress then you're out of it.

Savage was just a brute killing characterd left and right because crazy. Pretty much a non character. Just a plot device to get to Maul

Then Sidious randomly shows up and shit goes down because reasons.

That fight stands entirely on rule of cool. And we love it that way.
I assumed that was just an example gif that I wasn't responding to directly.
And tbf like I said, that storyline was engaging even if the characters weren't. They devoted some good screen time to those guys before all that happened. Why do you think people were so hungry to find out what happened next?

Gravidee

I did a test once where I pitched his lines lower, to give him a more "adult" sounding voice.

... It did sound a lot better.

Normal Anakin voice sounds pretty similar to Darth Vader before being dubbed by James Earl Jones though.

Whenever I think of the positive aspects of Anakin, I always think of his TCW self now. His voice in that show has much more vocal and emotional range than Hayden ever could in the movies. I almost wish Matt Lanter could redub all of Hayden's lines in the prequels.

George Lucas had been retired for decades, and rode on the success as the creator of Star Wars, but remember- He didn't direct ESB or ROTJ. There is also some who say that he got massive help for the first film and that the 1AD did a lot of the directive. I don't know if that is true.

But what happens is that George Lucas become known as one of the most legendary directors. Yes, American Grafitti and HTX gave him credit, but he did not have the legacy that of his ULCA colleagues had. George Lucas empire grows with the franchise. He was very smart by not giving all the toy endorsement away.

So when Star Wars returned, he was in a position of being able to do completely, fucking what he wanted, in a field he had not engaged in since 83. Nobody could say things to him. No executive producers who come in worried and demands all these press screenings. You're surrounded by "yes, people".

IMO that was the difference between peter jackson doing the LOTR and the Hobbit. People were pissed when he got LOTR. People said he would fail, he was abysmal, he could do nothing but special effects, he would crack under such a large production, only spielberg or cameron could handle such a big production.
And that questioning, that doubt, that desire to prove himself must have done a hell of a lot for LOTR to be as amazing as it was.
For the Hobbit its the opposite. nobody says anything. sure, dailies are shit and production is chaos, but its peter- he knows what he is doing! we're not gonna doubt the guy who made one of the biggest miracles of cinema.

So in my mind- This is all just the failures of not having coworkers around you who dare tell you when you're stuff is shit. When you only hang around "yes, your awesome" type people, you yourself begin to change, and your entitlements and your own picture of your self changes. And a lot of the time, what emerges on the other side, has a unrealistic unhinged attitude towards one own work.
That is basically what I think happened.

George Lucas needed a big dedicated bright team of writers. But it was his baby. He had these darlings that needed to be slayed. He needed someone else to tell him what star wars meant to the public. I promise you that something like midiclorians would have gotten slayed in the writers meeting on day 2 or 3. There was nothing- Absolutely nothing sound about that choice.

Lastly, timing. All late 90s movies completely (save the matrix) underestimated the value of CGI. Had the prequels been released in 2015, and had another franchise taken star wars place to show the problems of a 90% CGI fest, I don't think Lucas would have made that mistake. But then again. Gollum in TTT was the best realization of a CGI character, and Jackson and friends completely forgot the lessons learned with the hobbit.
I feel that the Hobbit trilogy is a much large offense. It's a much worse realization. You can see what George Lucas went for. He failed on a lot of that execution, but the Hobbit is just small. It has nothing to say. It's like Robin Hood. It's completely formless.

Interesting.
Also reminds me that I still haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies.

tbd

Theres lots of great Star wars in the prequels, to say it isn't while in the same breath proclaiming the originals are fine pieces of film is being dishonest.

Story was superior in the original of course, but I did love the following from prequels

- Pod race, thrilling stuff
- John Williams soundtrack
- Qui Gon
- Darth Maul, best villian since Darth Vader
- Light saber battles
- Yoda/Dooku fight
- Ewan as Obi (Amazingly cast)
- Anakin handling of his mothers death
- Padme/Anakin looking at each other from Jedi temple to his home
- Dooku executed by Anakin
- Palatine teasing of the Dark side with Anakin
- Sidious reveal to order 66
- Obi/Anakin fight
- Darth Vader operating table and assembly
- Darth becoming Emperors apprentice

Lots of highlights, and some classic, memorable moments. I can see why people resent parts of it, but I can't agree with those that say its all bad. It's not. EP 3 is one of the best SW movies in the saga. Ive witnessed non star wars fans turn into fans because of ep3.

No Mace Windu/Sheev scene? It's easily the most thrilling and tragic scene of the whole series in my book.

Yeah, can't really take people blindly hating the prequels seriously because of all those reasons and more. Partially enjoyed them more than the original movies and think they're also way more complex. To be fair I must say that I never watched them without dub so that's probably why I never noticed any offensively bad acting.

Maledict

Likewise to all of you!

I hated the Yoda Lightsaber duels as I watched them, on-screen, at the opening night of Attack of the Clones. They are utterly dreadful. They completely undermine the entire point and character of Yoda from the original trilogy, the CGI is bad on them (even for the time), and they turned Yoda into a hyperactive Pokemon.

I've never watched Clone Wars so can't comment on that, but I absolutely think the Yoda fights are one of the worse part of the prequels. They look freaking ridiculous. They take the flaw in all of the prequels fights, where the fights look weightless and too choreographed, and amp that up a thousand. The final fight in Phantom was the best of a bad bunch, but all of them look bad compared to the raw slog we saw in Empire, or even the throne room fight in Return of the Jedi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom