• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Greatness of the Star Wars Prequels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

Whats with the love for Darth Maul? The dude only had like one line in the whole movie. Is it just the double edged light saber because aside from that he's a lame villain.

He's a villain with a cool look, cool lightsaber, AND he's spared from saying George Lucas's shoddy dialogue. These are all pluses.

Besides, the Star Wars fanbase loves their villains... even if some of the most popular villains barely do anything and get taken out in the lamest ways.

At least Darth Maul wasn't killed by a stumbling blind guy...
686ac075524461c2f1b972c032de0a08.gif

MBison

I'm rewatching these with my 11 year old daughter in prep of E7.

Yes they aren't as good as the originals blah blah blah but sorry, I don't hate or despise them. I know that's fashionable as an old school Star Wars fan (I'm 43!) but I just don't. Their execution isn't perfect and there's plenty of stuff I would change but if you told me the stories, I'd think they're cool. On paper, it works, just the execution has flaws.

- I love the art design of episode 1. Naboo is cool, the costumes and ships. Awesome work.
- I like the relationship between Anakin and his mom. When she's looking on in worry, I feel it. Eavesdropping on Qui Gon when he's talking about Anakin being powerful in the force. Loved it.
- pod race, awesome.
- maul is cool and I don't care if he's not some uber villain they should have kept alive for more films. I see him as just a pawn in Palp's game. He doesn't care about maul living or dying. He wants Anakin.
- I've seen a lot of complaints about why is Palp so incompetent in assassination attempts on Padme. He doesn't want her to die, again just a ruse to get Anakin close to her.

There's tons more good and bad. I can see all the criticisms and I agree with many of them but just am not on the fashionable bandwagon of bashing them. Childhood ruined! Etc.

but just am not on the fashionable bandwagon of bashing them.

That doesn't exist. The idea of there being a bandwagon, the concept of criticism being equivalent to "bashing," or that arguing about the prequels even 5 years after their release (much less 16) is in any way "fashioniable"

Dai101

Banned
He's a villain with a cool look, cool lightsaber, AND he's spared from saying George Lucas's shoddy dialogue. These are all pluses.

Besides, the Star Wars fanbase loves their villains... even if some of the most popular villains barely do anything and get taken out in the lamest ways.

And fans like this guy because.............................?

Dead

well not really...yet
Obi-Wan vs Maul, after Qui Gon's death is probably my favorite saber battle in the entire series. McGregor really sells that shit, and the choreo is aces.

JSevere

The films themselves were questionable, but I think the Prequels had some legit good ideas that could've resulted in great movies. If they cut out TPM and made the whole trilogy about Anakin, Padme, and Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars and gave it a greater sense of adventure, they would've turned out a lot better. But even as they are they're definitely not the scourge of film history; there are some cool fight scenes and generally solid cinematography. Not to mention John Williams' score, which no one can complain about -- Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars are absolutely wonderful.

Plus they gave us Tartakovsky Clone Wars and CGI The Clone Wars (seriously, bless this show), the latter of which also gave us one of the best SW characters in general in Ahsoka.

Oersted

The same could easily be said for Boba Fett, lol.

I agree about him not being the greatest villain in the series. I can understand his popularity though.

Well, the greatest is obviously Vader. Who the prequels tried to ruin, but in their defense, they actually made the Emperor meaningful. He was a scrub in OT, in the PT he got shit done. The empire in general, like a poster previously pointed out with his Stormtrooper/Clone Trooper comparison. OT troopers were a buttjoke, in the PT they killed almost all Jedis, destroyed the robots (why not take them over though), destroyed most of the seperatists.

Best thing the Empire achieved in OT was capturing Han Solo, and that was done by a gun for hire lol.

That reminds me, who the fuck is Tarkin?

farisr

It gave us this guy. He's pretty cool.

Darth_Maul.png

He made me and my friends crack up during Insidious. So much so that we had to pause the movie for a good 3 minutes because we were laughing so hard when he showed up. And even rewound to see him again.

but seriously he was cool, and I look forward to getting to the Clone Wars episodes where he returns. Sucks that he had such little screentime in Ep 1.

Fj0823

The fact that Lucas was able to return Darth Maul from death without it being stupid as fuck speaks volumes of his ability as an idea guy with a decent director translating those ideas.

BFIB

The fact that Lucas was able to return Darth Maul from death without it being stupid as fuck speaks volumes of his ability as an idea guy with a decent director translating those ideas.
Filoni pretty much handled the Clone Wars arcs I believe.

Fj0823

Filoni pretty much handled the Clone Wars arcs I believe.

Almost all outlines for the episodes came from Lucas himself. He explained his ideas and the basic plot to the team and the team produced a script for Filoni to direct.

Also Filoni really was Lucas's padawan, Im hearing a podcast from him and he talks about him with so much love and respect. Kinda sweet

ROMAD

Banned
The films themselves were questionable, but I think the Prequels had some legit good ideas that could've resulted in great movies. If they cut out TPM and made the whole trilogy about Anakin, Padme, and Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars and gave it a greater sense of adventure, they would've turned out a lot better. But even as they are they're definitely not the scourge of film history; there are some cool fight scenes and generally solid cinematography. Not to mention John Williams' score, which no one can complain about -- Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars are absolutely wonderful.

Plus they gave us Tartakovsky Clone Wars and CGI The Clone Wars (seriously, bless this show), the latter of which also gave us one of the best SW characters in general in Ahsoka.

WTF A BLACK LIGHT SABER!?

Gravidee

WTF A BLACK LIGHT SABER!?

Apparently it's one of a kind and was originally stolen from the jedi temple by Mandalorians during the time of the old republic.

A lightsaber stolen and modified by Mandalorians into a "Dark Saber", yes.

There's nothing to indicate that it was modified in any way. I think we're to assume that it always looked the way that it did and was simply passed down from one generation to the next.

Fj0823

Apparently it's one of a kind and was originally stolen from the jedi temple by Mandalorians during the time of the old republic.

There's nothing to indicate that it was modified in any way. I think we're to assume that it always looked the way that it did and was simply passed down from one generation to the next.

Really? My memory on the show is fuzzy then. I could've sworn Viszla said they took it and tinkered with it.

Oh well, My mistake

Doug Chiang is a great concept artist and especially in PM got a lot of good designs in there. ILM has always had a Moebius influence, but for this time around they really went wild. For instance, Gungan stuff had a better sense of alt-tech than, say, Ewoks.

Glad he's still around for the new stuff.

Tizoc

The 3d Clone wars cartoon made Jar Jar better and imho likable after a few episodes.
Were he portrayed as the Gungan who went against the norms of his caste, and by being banished fell into depression, I think he would've been better received.
...but that's just me.

I'd say the last 1 hour of Attack of the Clones is the best in the 3 movies.

There are beings with the force that are above the use of a lightsaber, but they are not even human and exist on a different plane of existence.

Neither Yoda nor the Emperor would be able to do this, for instance:

4390105-4775811071-43305.gif
The Son... to think we were so close to getting a version of Revan into canon, lol.

Though it could still happen. It's amusing how he was dismissed based on a technicality.

Randam

LOL that is how all the lightsaber fights in Star Wars movies are choreographed.

That is how Hollywood sword fights in general are choreographed.

The trick is how well movies hide it.

You missed Obi-Wan's sweet 360 degree spin.

Anyone talking about how the OT lightsaber battles were realistic sword fights has a terrible memory.
the fight is fine.
imo it looks good.
and it looks like, how some old dudes should fight.
Are you saying he shouldn't fight... or he should be beyond the lightsaber and be fighting in another way? Sorry just trying to get a better understanding.

Also, we wouldn't have gotten the most badass reaching for a lightsaber moment ever:

giphy.gif

To me, he strikes me as a elderly person that uses the force for all that agility (he doesn't when he's normal because I don't think he's the type that believes in excess, at least his character isn't).
YES.
joda fighting like that is the biggest abomination of the prequels.

Tizoc

Boba Fett laughs at all your feeble attempts to diminish his badassness.

He was never a badass;
he didn't do shit in Empire Strikes Back, for all I can remember he was just a delivery boy for Jabba.
In Return of the Jedi he gets tripped and ends up falling into the mouth of a desert monster.

He's Yamcha before Yamcha became a meme.

keuja

He looks cool and have his awesome dual light Saber but he has absolutely no character development whatsoever.
His death scene is also ridiculous. Honestly struggling to find anything good about those movies and I'm generally not very picky...

He was never a badass;
he didn't do shit in Empire Strikes Back, for all I can remember he was just a delivery boy for Jabba.
In Return of the Jedi he gets tripped and ends up falling into the mouth of a desert monster.

He's Yamcha before Yamcha became a meme.
Thank you!

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
As much as I fucking hate Attack of the Clones with a burning rage, the death of Anakin's mom was a pretty good character moment

Garlador

As much as I fucking hate Attack of the Clones with a burning rage, the death of Anakin's mom was a pretty good character moment

Yeah. John Williams' score, acting and emoting without Lucas's dialogue (at least for a bit), lightning and atmosphere...

It's a legitimately great scene.

Granted, Padme should've freaked the hell out once he went on his rant about killing Sand People indiscriminately, including women and children....

Yeah. John Williams' score, acting and emoting without Lucas's dialogue (at least for a bit), lightning and atmosphere...

It's a legitimately great scene.

Granted, Padme should've freaked the hell out once he went on his rant about killing Sand People indiscriminately, including women and children....

The defense prequel apologists give for Padme's indifference "But they're just mindless savages, who cares?" has always unnerved me since that was the exact same reasoning Europeans gave for exterminating American natives.

Eidan

Why do people complain about yoda using a lightsaber , how else is he gonna fight?

Honestly, complaints about Yoda using a lightsaber never really resonated with me. The prequels had a lot of problems. Yoda having a sword isn't one of them.

R-User!

Maybe he wielded it when he was younger, but you'd think Yoda and his understanding of the force is so beyond that kind of shit. Hell, all the training Yoda puts Luke through is never about his lightsaber.

After seeing how he fails to stop Sidious, I'm inclined to think that mayyybe Yoda doesn't know as much about the Force as we project onto him post-viewing what he does in ESB; remember, RotS happens before ESB, and in RotS during Yodas meditation scene he learns that Qui-Gon has discovered something that he did not know about the Force: that you can live on in corporeal form if you become one with the Force through selfless devoted sacrifice for the greater good.

I think. Correct me on that last part if that's getting it not fully right.

Also, it is established that the sabers can help in deflecting Force lightning, so maybe he uses a saber because it's a practical and logical to do so as a physical form of defense as opposed to his only defense being his ability to concentrate and use the Force. That concentration takes time and isn't as quick of an option in some cases as igniting and using a saber is. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom