• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian - new screenshots and footage (IGN preview)

TLG is not a game that I have fervently been looking forward to, but the footage from the IGN interview clip looks really impressive. This really is a game that needs to be seen in motion.

I'm really looking forward to playing this as its a change of pace from the usual shoot bangs. However...

I must admit, I'm...not really blown away, considering how long this game was in development it just doesn't look as good as what I expected it to be.

Don't get me wrong, there's some impressive stuff going on, but I dunno, it just looks kinda 'meh' to me.

A-V-B

I'm really looking forward to playing this as its a change of pace from the usual shoot bangs. However...

I must admit, I'm...not really blown away, considering how long this game was in development it just doesn't look as good as what I expected it to be.

A lot of Ueda's magic tends to come from interaction, and experiencing the whole work as it unfolds. It may not have the same epic in your face adventurism as SotC, but TLG is still in this wonderful artist's universe.

Wait for the word of mouth if nothing else.

A lot of Ueda's magic tends to come from interaction, and experiencing the whole work as it unfolds. It may not have the same epic in your face adventurism as SotC, but TLG is still in this wonderful artist's universe.

Wait for the word of mouth if nothing else.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the movement/animation looks to be top notch.

But for some reason the boy stands out to me. I feel like is model doesn't fit the game. I dunno how to explain it. Maybe it's because I'm watching shitty ign videos on a phone.

Don't get me wrong, there's some impressive stuff going on, but I dunno, it just looks kinda 'meh' to me.
I imagine Ico didn't seem like much from screenshots or short clips, but all its elements coalesced in the end to deliver something special. This has that SOTC-esque factor of a little kid interacting with a massive creature, combined with the intimate friendship aspect of Ico

Crayon

I imagine Ico didn't seem like much from screenshots or short clips, but all its elements coalesced in the end to deliver something special. This has that SOTC-esque factor of a little kid interacting with a massive creature, combined with the intimate friendship aspect of Ico

Neither Ico nor Sotc where great looking in stills at the time but as soon as you played them moving they conveyed the sense of technical achievement before anything even really happens. Very unique looking/moving games and both gave the impression that they where pushing the limits of your ps2 at the time.

For what its worth the game retreads mechanics and design elements from Ico with A.I. Partnership and shadow of the collusus with the giant dog. What we've been shown so far is not as startlingly original as SoTC was or as serence as Ico appeared to be. That said it combines SoTC larger than life ineractions with the puzzles of Ico. The new mechanic appears to be training Trico and that is where the A.I. Comes in. If Ueda can get it down exactly we will have a game where you're having to figure out how to convey and explain puzzles to an A.I. Partner using a limited vocabulary. I think its that space that is intended to set it apart. Also we haven't seen the
open world that both previews alude too
. So what will probably blow me away at least is traversing an entire spoiler possibly metrodvania style by teaching Trico new tricks. I guess my point is the previews so far have been almost intentionally bleak and limited to a really basic area.

Don't know how people were expecting to be 'blown away' in the traditional sense given the widely-known context of this game's development and the last footage we saw. Also, we should know by now that this isn't a game in the mould of SotC where the epicness and scale would blow us away. I think it's also quite clear from what we'd seen up to this point that this game is going more for little touching moments of gameplay, closer to ICO, over the sometimes blockbuster of SotC.

I am personally more than impressed by how its shaping up given I thought it was firmly in development hell.

dmshaposv

... Have you seen Uncharted 4?

The thing with Uncharted 4 is that the modelling/shader details and the general photo-realistic graphic fidelity is sooo god damn high that animations can't match that detail. I still get the uncanny valley effect from Uncharted 4.
When Nate talks - I feel the lipsynching keeps drawing me out of the experience even when the model could be easily mistaken for an actual human in the right lighting conditions.

TLG has this hyper stylized look with handcrafted 'exaggerated' animations that make it look more whimsical and the lower graphic fidelity is raised by the very high quality of animation.

Think of how Ghost Trick oozes personality through its slick stylized animation, even though it is using SPRITES.

jett

D-Member
Just noticed some screens seem to show a cel-shading-like outline around characters or objects. Not sure if that's on purpose or some graphical aberration, but I don't really like how that looks.

level1

I can only assume that those people not 100% hyped for this game because it doesn't look like uncharted 4 have never played Ico or SotC. In that case, you're all in for a treat. That being said, thank god for devs who finally give some importance to AI rather than making their game as shiny as possible

Also, ending spoilers -
you know trico, you really are the lasut guardian

I can only assume that those people not 100% hyped for this game because it doesn't look like uncharted 4 have never played Ico or SotC. In that case, you're all in for a treat. That being said, thank god for devs who finally give some importance to AI rather than making their game as shiny as possible

Also, ending spoilers -

It's an Ueda game. Either the boy or the beast dies at the end. And you will cry. Sorry.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
90% of the posts are about The graphics...

On a Ueda's game thread... Damn...
It's gonna be like this in every TLG thread. Unless we start adding FAQs about why it doesn't look like Uncharted 4 and how it was basically put on hold at some point in its development.

90% of the posts are about The graphics...

On a Ueda's game thread... Damn...

Also, ending spoilers -

Good posts. Ai being as important to gameplay and taking more equal importance over silly high res textures is very refreshing, actually. That is almost never the case.

That's not to say the devs aren't trying to make the game look great. But it looks very good to me nontheless.

ea3a1b62ca835f8bc1a6ee98a6f07a80250f523a3e0af61c57c3315536276de3.gif

The good news from that video to me is Ueda said that he hopes he gets a chance to partner with Sony Japan for the technical side of things in the future.

He's not totally burnt out on game development!

Joqu

Love the concept art in that video, has IGN put up another article? I hope they share images of the art somewhere.

Sounds like Ueda reached the acceptance stage, and his motivation has been rejuvenated. (He makes mention of having a similar development structure with Sony for future titles.) I can understand his frustration with being unable to deliver the game on PS3 since part of his goal was to have a shorter development cycle than his previous two titles, and that didn't exactly pan out. Upon reflection, he's able to see the positives of moving the project over.

J-Skee

Haven't watched any of the IGN stuff yet, but have they spoken to Ueda about what happened with Japan Studio & why he decided to start his own studio, genDesign?

mcz117chief

It's an Ueda game. Either the boy or the beast dies at the end. And you will cry. Sorry.

Um, mate. In neither of Ueda's games does a protagonist or deuteragonist die, actually Deus Ex Machina always makes sure that nobody dies (except the queen but nobody shed a tear for her). I would be extremely surprised if either of them died since it would totally not be Ueda style.

It's meant to be up to the player, but to Ueda it was just a dream.

Wut?

The part starting at around 2:15 is why I have no worries about this game. Ueda talks about how the gameplay design really hasn't changed since the very beginning of the development. So it's not like some long delayed games where they struggle with what the game itself is going to be like and that's constantly changing over time. The issue with TLG has purely been technical.

nbnt

Oh man this is a great video. So Ueda was initially not happy about moving it to the PS4 [3:55], and it was probably Allan Becker's decision, that's the thing Allan was talking about here:
"We're real-time in that process," Becker replied. "And we don't necessarily agree with each other—Fumito Ueda and I—about process. In some sense, I sort of... implemented change, which, I think, is causing some concern and consternation. But, once again, I think the benefit will come through. We're still going through that phase of adjustment and finding the right balance and groove."

"I think," Becker adds, "it's moving along in the right direction."
http://kotaku.com/how-sonys-most-creative-studio-rose-from-the-ashes-1458030068

LordCanti

Oh man this is a great video. So Ueda was initially not happy about moving it to the PS4 [3:55], and it was probably Allan Becker's decision, that's the thing Allan was talking about here:

http://kotaku.com/how-sonys-most-creative-studio-rose-from-the-ashes-1458030068

I couldn't get the sense of whether he was unhappy about having to make the decision, or if the decision was made for him and he was unhappy about it. In any case I'm sure an additional few years of his life spent in dev limbo waiting for the PS4 to come around wasn't the greatest prospect. He made the decision to go from PS1 to PS2 with Ico though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one that made it here.

Anarky

Banned
Either I have seriously low standards or some of you guys have really high standards because I legit can't comprehend how someone thinks that this game looks bad visually at all.

nbnt

I couldn't get the sense of whether he was unhappy about having to make the decision, or if the decision was made for him and he was unhappy about it. In any case I'm sure an additional few years of his life spent in dev limbo waiting for the PS4 to come around wasn't the greatest prospect. He made the decision to go from PS1 to PS2 with Ico though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one that made it here.
Honestly I think the wording clearly suggest it wasn't his decision. "When it was decided" "but when the decision was first made I had some difficulty and I felt a little disappointed because I wanted to release the game earlier"

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I really don't understand the complaints about the graphics, the art is gorgeous.

Animations are incredible like all their games as well.

Top Bottom