• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian - new screenshots and footage (IGN preview)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Behold, the games that blew everyone away:

TLG definitely doesn't look any better than these.

Those are two of the best looking games of the gen along with God of War 3, made by some of the best teams Sony has

Without even taking into the account the fact that those games had obvious limitations at the time if you look closely(LOU's textures looked like shit up close in the worst times),

I don't think that comparing those titles to a developer with lower staff count(this game is being made by only a segment portion of Sony Japan with a super low staff count) lesser budget and those otherworldly technical chops makes much sense to begin with.

Chiggs

Gold Member
This quote from an IGN poster is among the worst things I've read all year:

quark3000 said:
The sheer number of brainless, ignorant, and moronic comments that have appeared in response to this game is very saddening. I'm sorry to say, but most of you are simply incapable of appreciating a game such as this. Those who have experienced and loved Ico / Shadow of the Colossus are likely to understand. These games are magical masterpieces. They were crafted with a level of passion and skill that is becoming increasingly rare. Unfortunately, people are becoming increasingly stupid, and I expect many gamers will not have the requisite level of consciousness to understand a game such as The Last Guardian. This game will be far greater than the sum of its parts, just like its predecessors. To the gamers who feel the need to incessantly bash the game; you're the reason that we see a steady decline in creativity and innovation in games. Your comments and opinions are completely worthless and insignificant.

Ico and SotC fans pretentious?

Inuhanyou

This quote from an IGN poster is among the worst things I've read all year:

Ico and SotC fans pretentious?

Let's not bring IGN quotes here, that's like derailing a thread over youtube comments.

People will dislike games all they want, but ICO and SOTC have a large fanbase, and if those people are fans, that should be all they need to have validation

Inuhanyou

The way some of em go about it being art...

That was because ICO was the earliest 'mainstream' first party title to really push atmospherics, art deco and a cryptic setting on such a unique level design all at once complete with beautiful music, and SOTC followed it up even better than before.

When people think of indie titles that do that today, its usually traced back to either ICO or SOTC as one of the originators in the modern era

That was because ICO was the earliest 'mainstream' first party title to really push atmospherics, art deco and a cryptic setting on such a unique level design all at once complete with beautiful music, and SOTC followed it up even better than before.

When people think of indie titles that do that today, its usually traced back to either ICO or SOTC as one of the originators in the modern era

Yes, even legends like Warren Spector remarked on how the camera design was a flaw but was later impressed to discover to be non intrusive waypoint upon studying it on his 2nd play though. These are games that has many layers under the hood that it is so easy to miss the first time playing. There's reason why ND and Miyazaki have been very inspired by it.

And that Sumerian inspired atmospherics. God, we really need more of those in video games. Love it, LOOOOOOVVVEE IT. From the architecture right down to the Tower of Babel and Nimrod references. Fuck. This universe would be amazing under the VR headset!!!!

gamerMan

The game looks like a last gen game and is very dated by today's standards, but I am interested in playing it because it's such an interesting gameplay idea. It is easy to see the game was developed for a generation a decade ago. I will just wear sunglasses while playing so that last gen visuals don't annoy me.

If your metric is realism and graphical fidelity, then yeah those games look better. But I think many would argue that in terms of art direction and art style, TLG does look better. And animations are part of the visuals, so arguably TLG is more advanced than those games in the realm of animations

Inuhanyou

Why the fuck does it still look the same? Isn't it on PS4 now? Couldn't have used all those years to at least make the game look better?

They actually improved a lot of the earlier version's rough spots.

And as has been said a million times, the original version of the game was too advanced to be run on PS3, that is one reason it went into development hell, they could not run it without significantly downgrading, which was off the table.

So now they are able to properly render it with more powerful hardware along with modern visual effects and a higher res.

The game looks like a last gen game and is very dated by today's standards, but I am interested in playing it because it's such an interesting gameplay idea. It is easy to see the game was developed for a generation a decade ago. I will just wear sunglasses while playing so that last gen visuals don't annoy me.

I think most of the people saying it 'looks like a last gen game' would not be saying it if we had not gotten trailers for the PS3 version and this game was just announced out of the blue last year

Shin-Ra

I recommend watching the TGS 2009 behind the scenes trailer, especially the off-screen footage for a better idea how the game performed.

https://youtu.be/lKtaZNScpCY

But even the direct-feed footage and E3 trailer, there's been an obvious improvement in overall resolution, sharper, much denser and better animated foliage, shadow quality (feathers especially had bad shadow acne on PS3), feathers are more varied and animate individually instead of in groups, less obvious A2C transparency, the demo area had a flat rock background with 2D trees replace with geometrically intricate towers.

The game's lacking in two main areas, anti-aliasing and sometimes textures.

If your metric is realism and graphical fidelity, then yeah those games look better. But I think many argue that in terms of art direction and art style, TLG does look better

I think it's unfair to compare considering Team ICO/Gen studios have a monochrome style aesthetics. Even if they did push the graphics bar to Star Citizen status, it's not like you can compare to the varied urban environment of TLOU.

prwxv3

Why the fuck does it still look the same? Isn't it on PS4 now? Couldn't have used all those years to at least make the game look better?

This game has not been in active development all these years it'd be said multiple times. They spent all these years waiting for ps4 hardware then porting the complicated PS3 engine to ps4

Shin-Ra

Spot the difference, in a shitty low-res GIF!

PS3ivy.gif

PS4ivy.gif

Zukkoyaki

Kind of makes you realize how lucky we are to live in a world where some people think TLG is an ugly game. My how far we've come!

Trico's natural and animal-like animations never ceases to impress. They really did a fantastic job at making it feel like a living breathing animal

I've found that it's rare for games to nail that. A lot of times, ecosystems seem kind of robotic and artificial, and the animal animations never feel fluid or animalistic enough

The only other game I think really nails it is Rain World. Makes sense why Ueda is excited for the game

Shin-Ra

I think the boy's clothing now has a fleece finish, perhaps using the shell-layered fur technique (Starfox Adventures-SotC-Uncharted4). It's hard to be sure without an even closer look on PS4.

SomTervo

The lighting alone looks substantially better than any of your examples.

image.php

edit: oh, oh i hope sarcasm

who the fuck knows on the internet anymore

I think the boy's clothing now has a fleece finish, perhaps using the shell-layered fur technique (Starfox Adventures-SotC-Uncharted4). It's hard to be sure without an even closer look on PS4.

I like how the boy has a somewhat cell-shaded style that composites to the more realized environment and Toriko itself.

]The game looks like a last gen game and is very dated by today's standards[/B], but I am interested in playing it because it's such an interesting gameplay idea. It is easy to see the game was developed for a generation a decade ago. I will just wear sunglasses while playing so that last gen visuals don't annoy me.

Umm no, the animation in motion looks amazing, sorry. Nothing about this looks last gen.

People need to stop comparing the recent footage to the PS3 trailers. The game never looked or ran like that on PS3. Everyone who saw gameplay of it said it ran like crap, including Ueda.

Anarky

Banned
Kind of makes you realize how lucky we are to live in a world where some people think TLG is an ugly game. My how far we've come!

Imagine going back in time to like 2004 and showing TLG footage to gamers and telling them that this is one of the 'ugly' games of the future. Their minds would be fucking blown.

CHC

I'm just not getting the hype and never have around this game. I like some atmospheric games like anyone else but mechanically this feels like a downloadable title.

That's understandable based just on what they've shown. Most of us are big fans of Ueda's other games (SotC and Ico) because they have a really intriguing dream like quality, lots of heart, and the ability to evoke emotion really well.

Definitely play those two if you get a chance. Mechanically they're a bit dated but maybe you'll see part of what makes Last Guardian exciting.

Mediking

Should've shot for the timeless and awesome cel-shaded look that Wind Waker and Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 has.

The game doesn't look awful.

Wow,ive just woken up and missed the whole new footage/thread.The thread seems a cluster bomb of wildly different opinions...and I mean wildly.

The graphics are not BAD,neither are they the best Ps4 has to offer,which I suspect given the time people have waited for the game may be the problem.

Some of the animation though is absolutely top notch.Im looking forward to much deeper analysis at E3.

Let's hope it delivers

TheRatedD

Can't wait to finally play this. It's kinda shocking to think that we're getting proper previews now, and that the game is so close to release.

Top Bottom