• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian - new screenshots and footage (IGN preview)

I really don't understand the complaints about the graphics, the art is gorgeous.

Animations are incredible like all their games as well.

I agree, the art and visual style is unique as hell. It seems like it's trying to maintain the same ambiance of Ueda's last 2 titles, which is totally fine by me. I like that Sony exclusives have some diversity in visuals and art. (U4 and Horizon's near photo-realistic visuals and then you have TLG and Gravity Rush 2's heavy art visuals.)

synce

Hmm, I was expecting at least a slight visual bump from the switch to PS4. Still looking forward to it though

Hmm, I was expecting at least a slight visual bump from the switch to PS4. Still looking forward to it though

18940356522_11720d2072_o.jpg

2015/16
18940356682_dd053916e3_o.jpg

bonus:2015/16 it's an actual playable game :p

I really don't understand the complaints about the graphics, the art is gorgeous.

Animations are incredible like all their games as well.

Absolutely! The art direction is superb, and the animation on Trico (and the boy) is so goddamn good. Trico has such a believability in its weight and movement, and they've clearly spent a lot of time animating simulated reactivity and sentience. I love watching Trico's ears, they're always doing something interesting! Just animating weighted movement realistically is hard enough, let alone giving it a personality on top of this. The poor animators must have spent a lot of time watching cats/dogs, there are so many familiar little movement characteristics.

In the clips we've seen, there hasn't been a moment where there has been any strobing, or even a hint of idling between one lot of animation (ie. walking) to another (ie. interacting.) It's all so seamless and fluid. It might not hold up for the entire game, but it's extremely impressive thus far.

ugggggggggh so freakin' good

orochi91

From the IGN interview:

"For Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian we tried to create graphics that are not determined by the hardware specifications. In other words, the art does not really try to place a burden on the machine, or it doesn’t try to max it out. From that perspective, PS4 allows you to get to your goal much faster."

Hopefully this minimizes the concerns-trolling about TLG's graphics.

mcz117chief

Ico's beach sequence isn't real to Ueda. So to him Yorda really is dead.

yeah no.
He said himself that he believes they actually met but if somebody wants to interpret the ending as a dream then they can. He said "ただでも本当の意味ハ, 本当にで合っているんですかね 。", which means something like "but I guess that really, they really did meet."

The reason why both his games are Deus Ex Machina endings where nobody dies is because he said:

"In Japan there's this saying, 'when it ends well everything's well'. My theory was to already in the beginning of the game make the player understand how important the ending would be. Then the player would strive to reach it, it would keep up motivation the game through. Because I believe that the only purpose that games have is to enrich the hard life we live. And that's why ICO got a happy ending." It also explains why Ueda is baffled by people who expect The Last Guardian to have a bad ending when both his games have good endings.

yeah no.
He said himself that he believes they actually met but if somebody wants to interpret the ending as a dream then they can. He said "ただでも本当の意味ハ, 本当にで合っているんですかね 。", which means something like "but I guess that really, they really did meet."

The reason why both his games are Deus Ex Machina endings where nobody dies is because he said:

"In Japan there's this saying, 'when it ends well everything's well'. My theory was to already in the beginning of the game make the player understand how important the ending would be. Then the player would strive to reach it, it would keep up motivation the game through. Because I believe that the only purpose that games have is to enrich the hard life we live. And that's why ICO got a happy ending." It also explains why Ueda is baffled by people who expect The Last Guardian to have a bad ending when both his games have good endings.

But does sotc have a good ending? I mean surely it's not a bad ending but in my opinion is one of the saddest endings in video games... And i love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMlXOPrlGuM

T-T

labx

Banned
I swear that if this game does not come out in 2016, my faith about humankind will be lost. 10 years. The poor man is suffering (just watched the IGN video), let Trico be. #FreeTricoThisYear

mcz117chief

But does sotc have a good ending? I mean surely it's not a bad ending but in my opinion is one of the saddest endings in video games... And i love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMlXOPrlGuM

T-T

Sure does, I love it, it made me shed tears of happiness, and to drive that point home the name of the song you linked is also called "In the Land of Happiness". It is a very happy ending since everyone got what they wanted, maybe not the way they imagined it but it worked.
Wander is reborn, Mono is revived, Agro is still kicking and the shaman king is convinced that Wander and Dormin are gone and he can't come back to check later since the bridge is gone allowing Mono and Wander to live happily ever after.

Sure does, I love it, it made me shed tears of happiness, and to drive that point home the name of the song you linked is also called "In the Land of Happiness". It is a very happy ending since everyone got what they wanted, maybe not the way they imagined it but it worked.
Wander is reborn, Mono is revived, Agro is still kicking and the shaman king is convinced that Wander and Dormin are gone and he can't come back to check later since the bridge is gone allowing Mono and Wander to live happily ever after.

Maybe it's a bitter-sweet ending i guess, not really a sad one :p
It's good that everyone got what they wanted, but Wander is revived as a new person and i don't know if Mono really knows what happened. I mean, they had a second chance but nothing is gonna be like it was before...

There's one with them?

2408813-6497602437-13694.gif

It doesn't really get used anymore as a sign of respect for Iwata. It was a fun gif before but it feels wierd using it now.

Yes, the game definitely looks like a ps4 game no doubt. For starters i would say the lighting is very good although kind of unnatural. There is translucency in the wings
vlcsnap-2016-05-29-12i7srw.png

Arctic_Tern_(Sterna_paradisaea),_Ward_of_Clugan_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1357999.jpg

The feathers are detailed and each and every one of them moves individually, right down to the hair on the talons.
vlcsnap-2016-05-29-12p2s7s.png

vlcsnap-2016-05-29-12v4sww.png

There is motion blur in this game, and it doesn't look like a cheap implementation.
vlcsnap-2016-05-29-12w9s2z.png

Most importantly, there is no LOD change on trico from a distance.

However this was all captured from last years e3. I would've hoped for the game to look a little better considering it's a year later. But as it stands, it a very good looking ps4 game.

Hopefully this minimizes the concerns-trolling about TLG's graphics.

Let them waste their time posting rubbish, the fact is they are wrong and they don't even post anything to back up their comments. TLG looks fantastic.

I've seen people say it looks like a PS2 game but they are just idiots and the people who say it looks like it did on PS3, well it's not exactly the same, there are definitely improvements over the early footage and the fact we never really saw it running on PS3 (with all the demos running on higher spec dev kits and sped up footage to hide it's bad performance) says it all really.

The art direction, design and animation are just excellent, textures look fine, it has some nice lighting and they have put a lot of effort into making Trico's AI feel alive. I'm really not seeing anything bad at all.

dan2026

"For Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian we tried to create graphics that are not determined by the hardware specifications. In other words, the art does not really try to place a burden on the machine, or it doesn’t try to max it out. From that perspective, PS4 allows you to get to your goal much faster."

What dream world is this guy living in?

I remember Shadow of the Colossus running like dogshit on the PS2.
And Ico was running at some tiny resolution.

What dream world is this guy living in?

I remember Shadow of the Colossus running like dogshit on the PS2.
And Ico was running at some tiny resolution.

ICO's resolution was actually completely intentional

OPS2: Are there any technologies or graphic techniques in the game that you’re particularly proud of?

FU: It’s kind of hard for our team to compete with, say, Square or Namco in terms of realism, so we used different techniques to make big contrasts within the environment. When you look at the castle, for instance, there are shadowy places and bright, sunlit areas for a more dramatic expression. Of course, you could present a colourful, vibrant world, but ICO has a subtle and reserved style. Take movies as an example: even with modern technology available, some movies opt for a grainy effect for the visuals as a means of expression. ICO is lo-fi (running at 30 frames) and the modeling is in low-resolution. The team intentionally avoided using the maximum graphic specs in order to give the game something different and make it stand out.

http://catsunderatree.wordpress.com...iew-with-fumito-ueda-about-ico-february-2002/

raviolico

Sorry, i`m late to this thread but is the music in the clip from the game aka part of the OST?
Any info/confirmation? Sounds absolute fantastic.

Now that i think about it, the only thing that i didn't like from the e3 demo, were the kid movements. Like he could just walk really slow or run really fast, and i hope they fix that.

wtd2009

Yes, the game definitely looks like a ps4 game no doubt. For starters i would say the lighting is very good although kind of unnatural. There is translucency in the wings

The feathers are detailed and each and every one of them moves individually, right down to the hair on the talons.

There is motion blur in this game, and it doesn't look like a cheap implementation.

Most importantly, there is no LOD change on trico from a distance.

However this was all captured from last years e3. I would've hoped for the game to look a little better considering it's a year later. But as it stands, it a very good looking ps4 game.
Agreed, theres absolutely no way this thing could run on ps3. Im not sure where people are getting that impression unless its still not widely known at this point that the thing ran terribly on the ps3.

G-Bus

Banned
Like the fact we're still seeing the same environment. Hopefully there's some diversity.

Totally seems like he's blended ico with sotc for this. Communicating and leading trico around while simultaneously climbing and interacting with him.

People are definitely underestimating this game in motion.

Nailing the animal feeling like an animal or pet is where the work went in. Feather movement, animations to look completely natural, A.I to make the animal look natural...all of that sounds very hard.

I'm imagining the PS3 version where they would probably sacrifice feathers for a basic, textured 2D fur that a lot of animals had in PS3 games... It wouldn't be the same.

I really like the boy in this game too. The way he climbs down the stairs, the gibberish language he uses to communicate with the animal, right down to the really dramatic way he jumps those long jumps and you hear him echo his grunt.

mcz117chief

Now that i think about it, the only thing that i didn't like from the e3 demo, were the kid movements. Like he could just walk really slow or run really fast, and i hope they fix that.

I'm pretty sure it is going to be pressure sensitive like always, tilt the stick a tiny bit and you will sneak, tilt the stick all the way to run and everything in between.

You guys are forgetting what the game actually liked like when it was"re-revealed" in 2011 on ps3. It was a blurry mess and a big downgrade from the 2009 (or 2010? Can't remember tbh) trailer.

I'll post some pics if you guys want when I get home. Definitely sub 720p.

Love how there's a Bastion and Transistor thread where people are shitting on the games for being too focused on visuals and yet in this thread we have people shitting on Last Guardian for not looking good enough.

Shin-Ra

I was digging through my old screenshots this morning and came across a few 4K PS3 shots with locations we've seen very little of.

5492472436_b3b91afbeb_o.jpg

Small texture streaming issue there!

5491879305_a3b23125c3_o.jpg

5492475952_746b3bae0d_o.jpg

5492479074_fe672e8790_o.jpg

5491918497_13b34ee541_o.jpg

5491918803_cedf2fb02c_o.jpg

Top Bottom