• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread - *NO. SPOILERS. PERIOD.*

What will TLOU 2 average score be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GooseMan69

I have no problem with SkillUp, but salty FUD merchants are pushing his review HARD and it’s fucking hilarious to me. Dude didn’t even really like the first game from what I remember. FUDers are grasping at straws so hard at this point lmao

Polygon, Kotaku, and Waypoint are the holy trio of trash gaming sites. Predictably, they’re so fucking fragile and weak that they got legit triggered by a fictional work of art lol. The fact that they didn’t speak highly of it is ENCOURAGING to me.

Other than that, it’s 10s across the board. Unbelievable what they accomplished.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Everyone just says it's bleak and violent and that's ok but how is that a 10?
Again “10” doesn’t mean perfection, it just means that reviewer enjoy the game enough to give that score. Stop focusing so much on the score, read/watch actual reviews. Do you like or dislike what hear? Make decision based on that, it’s really that simple. Do you agree what SkillUP says? If so then you have your answer.

Seriously, why people make this so much more complicated than it actually is.

Last edited:
The reviewers I trust, especially Skillup, made the game sound like a hard pass to me. He was right when he said the first game was an average game but had fantastic plot and characters. To hear him saying TLoU 2 plot and characters as disappointing is more than enough to make me just avoid buying the game right now. Think I'll just wait for Ghost of Tsushima. I can't wait for his spoiler review.
That is a poor decision of you.No matter how much you trust someone even if it’s your brothers your tastes are unique and different.You can’t judge like that.You have to play the game for a longer time and get a feeling of it to know if you like it or not,if it’s good or not..If your are negative towards the game from the beginning for whatever reasons,then you make an actual good game a bad game and don’t even want to play it anymore.And to the people who say tlou 2 brings nothing new so I pass,what a poor and nonsense thing to say.Every call of duty is the same,nearly every Mario game is same Mario kart is the same,metal gear the same, forza fifa too and so on.So what,you won’t play a great game because they are similar to others.Then you should look for another hobby with this kind of mindset..They don’t need to change a lot because the gameplay is already great,they improved on it which is good.They have to be consistent with the first game.Its not like final fantasy where every game is in its own universe.

GooseMan69

And yes, the Angry Joe/Jim Sterling crowd will most likely shriek like wild banshees when the game comes out. The game has been controversial since its announcement, and they jump at any controversy. I fully expect them to incite their small but vocal armies. Hell, Angry Joe already did, based on fake 4chan leaks.

GooseMan69

GooseMan69 GooseMan69

So basically you are saying whoever didn't give the game a 10/10 they are haters or offended or anti SJW?

Its called difference of opinion. I like to read both sides and then find my own decisions somewhere in the middle. 10/10 is equally BS to me when they spent 4 paragraphs talking about its faults. But somehow it ended with a 10/10 :messenger_expressionless:.

No. In fact, the three sites who were the most critical are literally the most SJW sites there are.

That is a poor decision of you.No matter how much you trust someone even if it’s your brothers your tastes are unique and different.You can’t judge like that.You have to play the game for a longer time and get a feeling of it to know if you like it or not,if it’s good or not..If your are negative towards the game from the beginning for whatever reasons,then you make an actual good game a bad game and don’t even want to play it anymore.And to the people who say tlou 2 brings nothing new so I pass,what a poor and nonsense thing to say.Every call of duty is the same,nearly every Mario game is same Mario kart is the same,metal gear the same, forza fifa too and so on.So what,you won’t play a great game because they are similar to others.Then you should look for another hobby with this kind of mindset..They don’t need to change a lot because the gameplay is already great,they improved on it which is good.They have to be consistent with the first game.Its not like final fantasy where every game is in its own universe.
Yeah I don’t see how a single review can actually convince you not to at least give it a shot - especially when otherwise it’s the highest rated game of the year. There’s gotta be at least something to that.

Valentino

What is the actual point of '10' existing then if it should be unobtainable? I don't need to be told "nothings perfect" either. If a game had, lets say, 2 texture pop ins throughout the entire playthrough, does that take the score lower? .......Sometimes you finish a game with such satisfaction, and feelings, and sadness it's over, in the moment, the experience, that's what should be accounted for. Scores aren't timeless. If the pros massively outweigh the minor cons of a game, their should be every right to score it a 10. In a year or two, people will be doing videos on youtube "a year later.....my new thoughts", then people will be saying "did it deserve 10s? And in years to come we'll still be talking about it. Just like the original was talked about even before part 2 was revealed.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What is the actual point of '10' existing then if it should be unobtainable? I don't need to be told "nothings perfect" either. If a game had, lets say, 2 texture pop ins throughout the entire playthrough, does that take the score lower? .......Sometimes you finish a game with such satisfaction, and feelings, and sadness it's over, in the moment, the experience, that's what should be accounted for. Scores aren't timeless. If the pros massively outweigh the minor cons of a game, their should be every right to score it a 10. In a year or two, people will be doing videos on youtube "a year later.....my new thoughts", then people will be saying "did it deserve 10s? And in years to come we'll still be talking about it. Just like the original was talked about even before part 2 was revealed.
The problem is most people here treat score as some kind of math and game should lose points based on how many "flaws" it has but the reality is that the score is nothing more than overall feeling of the person who reviewed the game. Also sometimes a reviewer might consider something as "flaw" but it might be positive points for you.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I have no problem with SkillUp, but salty FUD merchants are pushing his review HARD and it’s fucking hilarious to me. Dude didn’t even really like the first game from what I remember. FUDers are grasping at straws so hard at this point lmao

Polygon, Kotaku, and Waypoint are the holy trio of trash gaming sites. Predictably, they’re so fucking fragile and weak that they got legit triggered by a fictional work of art lol. The fact that they didn’t speak highly of it is ENCOURAGING to me.

Other than that, it’s 10s across the board. Unbelievable what they accomplished.
It's a sight to behold. I've never seen SkillUp propped up so much until now

Whatever helps people feel better lol

Xeaker

pwTRkdr.jpg

source.gif

Yeah sure, doesn't this make it the best rated game ever in videogame history?

MayauMiao

That is a poor decision of you.No matter how much you trust someone even if it’s your brothers your tastes are unique and different.You can’t judge like that.
You have to play the game for a longer time and get a feeling of it to know if you like it or not,if it’s good or not..If your are negative towards the game from the beginning for whatever reasons,then you make an actual good game a bad game and don’t even want to play it anymore.And to the people who say tlou 2 brings nothing new so I pass,what a poor and nonsense thing to say.Every call of duty is the same,nearly every Mario game is same Mario kart is the same,metal gear the same, forza fifa too and so on.So what,you won’t play a great game because they are similar to others.Then you should look for another hobby with this kind of mindset..They don’t need to change a lot because the gameplay is already great,they improved on it which is good.They have to be consistent with the first game.Its not like final fantasy where every game is in its own universe.

Who are you to say I made "a poor decision"? At the end of the day its my decision and a big middle finger to you if you think you can shamed me for my decision because I don't follow what the mainstream shill media tells me. Also if I can't rely on my favorite reviewers that I trust over the years, not even if it is my "brothers", then why the hell should I even be listening to you? Unlike you, the reviewers I trust have played the game and gave the game a fair assessment. Based on that and everything that I have seen, I rather just wait for the game to hit the bargain bin, or watch it on Let's Plays. My money probably better spents to some new IP that I may enjoy, like Ghost of Tsushima.

Also, its downright ridiculous that you insist that I have to play the game to "get a feeling of it", but you seem to forgot that I have to spend MONEY to do that. Again a giant middle finger to you for telling me to look for another hobby because I don't agree with your opinion. I enjoy video games on my own terms, not yours, not anyone else.

Last edited:
Who are you to say I made "a poor decision"? At the end of the day its my decision and a big middle finger to you if you think you can shamed me for my decision because I don't follow what the mainstream shill media tells me. Also if I can't rely on my favorite reviewers that I trust over the years, not even if it is my "brothers", then why the hell should I even be listening to you? Unlike you, the reviewers I trust have played the game and gave the game a fair assessment. Based on that and everything that I have seen, I rather just wait for the game to hit the bargain bin, or watch it on Let's Plays. My money probably better spents to some new IP that I may enjoy, like Ghost of Tsushima.

Also, its downright ridiculous that you insist that I have to play the game to "get a feeling of it", but you seem to forgot that I have to spend MONEY to do that. Again a giant middle finger to you for telling me to look for another hobby because I don't agree with your opinion. I enjoy video games on my own terms, not yours, not anyone else.
images

Last edited:

Hey sorry you took my Massage the wrong way.I didn’t wanted to insult you over 100 reviews say the game is great if it was a bad game you wouldn’t have 100 reviews who all say the same.The first game is equally acclaimed with reviews and millions of gamers who played the game.Again the game can’t be bad fact!But maybe the game is not for you because of different reasons maybe to brutal or whatever and that is ok.With poor decision I meant If you hating on the game because of one reviewer or what some others think because they don’t like the hair of Druckmann or his thinking you are missing out on a great game that is all I wanted to say.You should get the game a chance maybe you can play it at a friend who bought it or in some game store a bit to see how the gameplay is if you like it or not.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
How does the preload work? Do you download it and then it's activated on the day of release?
Correct. You load a substantial amount of the game. Granted sometimes there can be day 1 patches, but this will get you started once the time goes to 0. Once you buy it from the PSN store it will start downloading if you go through the prompt to download it. You can also select the game in your library once you buy it to “auto-load” once the pre-load is available.

EP’s review basically praised it for so many things (TWD and Lost vibes). He played it for 8 hour stretches at a time and had weird dreams afterwards. Sweet :messenger_grinning: I’m reading where it’s between22-25 hours long, so shorter than KH3 and RDR2?

Last edited:
Reviewer is not certain whether he'd recommend TLoU2 or not.
Praises graphics, sound and gameplay. Criticizes character development. Prefers TLoU1's story over TLoU2's.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Gold Member
It seems like for the most part many of the people who disliked this game also did not like the first one. Gamespot gave the first one an 8/10 and Polygon did not like it. Nothing wrong with that opinion but if I loved the first game it might not be the first reviewers I listen to.

Eiknarf

I asked this in the other thread about the contrast between user reviews and pro critic reviews. Pardon my ignorance, but it’s a legit question that’s been in my mind

If pro game reviewers are just gamers who grew up playing and enjoying the same games as us, why would they love a game that gamers hate? What I’m asking is, why would our user reviews of TLOU2 be drastically lower or different than the professional critic reviews? They’re just gamers that happen to get a job playing video games and reviewing them, right?
Why are people saying the user reviews will be more true to how bad/good the game really is?

Are the critics lying? Why would they?

Last edited:
I asked this in the other thread about the contrast between user reviews and pro critic reviews. Pardon my ignorance.
If pro game reviewers are just gamers who grew up playing and enjoying the same games as us, why would they love a game that gamers hate? What I’m asking is, why would our user reviews of TLOU2 be drastically different than professional critic reviews? They’re just gamers that happen to get a job playing video games and reviewing them, right?
Its simple.

In the game's and movie industry, once you become part of the borg, the moment you incite against your masters they will cut you off.

No more early access. No more invites to the studio for interviews or previews. No more goodie bags. No more release party invites.

The system is inherently designed to make reviewers conform to the wishes of the publishers.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Its simple.

In the game's and movie industry, once you become part of the borg, the moment you incite against your masters they will cut you off.

No more early access. No more invites to the studio for interviews or previews. No more goodie bags. No more release party invites.

The system is inherently designed to make reviewers conform to the wishes of the publishers.

I couldn't argue against "all those good reviews are paid by Sony".
But this argument doesnt work nowadays. With every little development/critical statement/misbehaviour being shared via SM in an instant, especially the big media outlets would write a critical article or statement if a bad review of a game would change their relationship with a publisher.

If - let us say IGN.com - was invited to all prior Sony events and suddenly aren't on the guest lists after publishing a bad reviews, the backlash would be gigantic. No publisher would risk that.

Would seem wise to wait for reviews that aren't so restricted as these early ones. :lollipop_grinning::lollipop_grinning::lollipop_grinning:

Well, they weren't allowed to talk specifics, but still were allowed to talk about their thoughts of the overall plot and could present their final verdict. It's not like ND will patch the last chapter in one day prior to the release, THAT would have been problematic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom