• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread - *NO. SPOILERS. PERIOD.*

What will TLOU 2 average score be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jon Neu

Banned
Red dead is a joke because of its controls which is what the primary focus of a game is because you play it. Should have never have reached a 97, and people wana talk about sony buying reviews....

Well, I’m playing the first The Last Of Us and it’s controls aren’t exactly much better.

Just trying to run it’s already a nightmare.

Jon Neu

Banned
Doing anything in red dead is a nighmare, dude cant even pick up canned peaches without what feels lile the characters suffering a hernia and moving as slow as my great grandfather

But you can get used to the RDR2 controls by adjusting to their slow response.

So far trying to run in TLOU it’s extremely frustrating, because you don’t know when it’s going to work or not.

The mele combat is better in TLOU also, but the shooting is more satisfying in RDR2.

And so far, the AI of the enemies in TLOU doesn’t seem the greatest ever (playing in hard mode).

REE Machine

Banned

So far trying to run in TLOU it’s extremely frustrating, because you don’t know when it’s going to work or not.

The mele combat is better in TLOU also, but the shooting is more satisfying in RDR2.

And so far, the AI of the enemies in TLOU doesn’t seem the greatest ever (playing in hard mode).
Play on grounded you cuck, also for a game to work well i shouldnt have to youtube a proper control scheme to somewhat play decent, also when in fps there are no real issues when compared to third person

Jon Neu

Banned
Play on grounded you cuck

Supposedly the game was difficult even in normal mode.

I see that was a lie too.

lso for a game to work well i shouldnt have to youtube a proper control scheme to somewhat play decent

It’s easy if you have a three digit IQ at least.

TLOU on the other hand it’s just random sloppiness and corridor like. I prefer predictable slopiness that you can work around, especially when you travel vast open environments that allow you to have less prone to sloppiness obstacles like in TLOU.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
TLOU on the other hand it’s just random sloppiness and corridor like. I prefer predictable slopiness that you can work around, especially when you travel vast open environments that allow you to have less prone to sloppiness obstacles like in TLOU.
???? I’m currently replaying TLOU on survival difficulty and have not experienced any “sloppiness” you speak of.

Jayjayhd34

While i myself had no issues with either controls on RDR2 and tlou its not fair to downplay it as a lack of intelligence. Controls where big problem with RDR2 for lot of people.

Jon Neu

Banned
???? I’m currently replaying TLOU on survival difficulty and have not experienced any “sloppiness” you speak of.

I made a quick google search to see if I was the only one, but no, plenty of people have the same grievances as me regarding the controls.

Danjin44

I made a quick google search to see if I was the only one, but no, plenty of people have the same grievances as me regarding the controls.
I personally I had no issue with it, I was able control my character smoothly, there is no over animation when picking up items. Can you explain to me what part of it is "sloppy" exactly?

Jon Neu

Banned
I personally I had no issue with it, I was able control my character smoothly, there is no over animation when picking up items. Can you explain to me what part of it is "sloppy" exactly?

The gameplay is clunky and sluggish, the collection of items is a chore as is trying to run through it’s corridor like scenarios without getting constantly stopped for some reason.

The gameplay just feels half baked and not as important to the game as is the story.

REE Machine

Banned
Supposedly the game was difficult even in normal mode.

I see that was a lie too.

It’s easy if you have a three digit IQ at least.

Yes because all of Red dead isn't sloppiness...
Nothing about IQ what a idiotic comment, i said i shouldnt have to look up a video for a controller scheme to make the game feel the character went from walking in slug to then wet mud, trash.
Also red dead has a game open world mission structure, mission are linear as fuck

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The gameplay is clunky and sluggish, the collection of items is a chore as is trying to run through it’s corridor like scenarios without getting constantly stopped for some reason.

The gameplay just feels half baked and not as important to the game as is the story.

This is weird. I never found it clunky. Collecting items is easy, unless you don't know you can hold triangle to pick everything up, and I never ever got constantly stopped for no reason. How the hell are you playing this? lol

JTCx

"but but you get used to it!"

nah man it dont work like that, when its crap, its crap.

Danjin44

I guess people experience different depending on what difficulty they play. In survival difficulty I always short on resources so I explored and searched every where to find sobering I can use, and that to me it was incredibly satisfying. This also true during battles, I have no near enough bullets to start all fire fights so I have use everything anything I get my hands to survive, which makes the game really fun.

Not in TLOU.

In Uncharted 4, sure.
I personally find controls in TLOU much smoother, especially how smooth is take cover compare to sticky cover in Uncharted series.

In fact I would say Uncharted games become less fun when play in higher difficulty but TLOU becomes much more fun.

Umbral

From what I’ve seen and read, this game is nihilistic, deconstructionist trash.

That says nothing of the technical skills of Naughty Dog though.

Mechanically, their games are mediocre. Narratively, they used to be good. Technically, they’re a cut above.

Jon Neu

Banned
This is weird. I never found it clunky. Collecting items is easy, unless you don't know you can hold triangle to pick everything up, and I never ever got constantly stopped for no reason. How the hell are you playing this? lol

Well, that’s weird, because the more I look in the internet, the more people I find that had the exact same reactions regarding the gameplay.

Nobody said collecting wasn’t easy, it’s just a chore to have to press the triangle till the game decides to actually collect the item, which normally isn’t neither fast or accurate. It’s responsiveness is really bad and it’s boring as fuck.

I guess people experience different depending on what difficulty they play. In survival difficulty I always short on resources so I explored and searched every where to find sobering I can use, and that to me it was incredibly satisfying. This also true during battles, I have no near enough bullets to start all fire fights so I have use everything anything I get my hands to survive, which makes the game really fun.

I personally find controls in TLOU much smoother, especially how smooth is take cover compare to sticky cover in Uncharted series.

In fact I would say Uncharted games become less fun when play in higher difficulty but TLOU becomes much more fun.

You get out of ammo super quick in hard mode too. Still is super easy to just grab people from behind and choke them. The IA it’s just plain bad.

And I don’t know how anyone can say the game is smooth when the controls are so clunky and the corridors like scenarios stop you from moving freely by constantly make you bump into things (invisible walls too).

Uncharted 4 controls and gameplay is simply on another level.

And yes, Uncharted 4 is frustrating in it’s hardest modes. But that’s because they are hard for real. TLOU so far has been a walk in the park, for some parts literally a walk in the park.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Well, that’s weird, because the more I look in the internet, the more people I find that had the exact same reactions regarding the gameplay.
this my own experience playing the game myself, I don’t care what internet says.

You get out of ammo super quick in hard mode too. Still is super easy to just grab people from behind and choke them. The IA it’s just plain bad.
Play the game on survival or grounded and will see what I’m talking about. In normal and hard difficulty the game gives you way too much resource.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
And by the way, the graphics look obviously dated as fuck, but I found the artistic direction of the game ugly as sin. The washed up colors and the blurry and messy cartoony look doesn’t make the visuals any favour.

Uncharted 4 artistic direction and looks is much better for my taste.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Critics jizzing

Now I wait for actual humans response. I don't think it will be anywhere near as high

This is my problem right now: I'm pretty sure it'll be hard to really trust any user score (positive or negative), for example the one at Metacritic.
The hardcore lovers or haters will give their 0/10 or 10/10 rating before they even played the game, because they are so stuck on their narrative/pre-opinion, admiting they were wrong isn't an option.

I see only one option honestly: If you like ND games and played/liked/loved part 1, you have to at least give part 2 a chance in order to really get your own picture and form your own opinion.

Jayjayhd34

This is my problem right now: I'm pretty sure it'll be hard to really trust any user score (positive or negative), for example the one at Metacritic.
The hardcore lovers or haters will give their 0/10 or 10/10 rating before they even played the game, because they are so stuck on their narrative/pre-opinion, admiting they were wrong isn't an option.

I see only one option honestly: If you like ND games and played/liked/loved part 1, you have to at least give part 2 a chance in order to really get your own picture and form your own opinion.

Or just watch hour of the game being played on YouTube, thats what I do when unsure about a game.

Valentino

And by the way, the graphics look obviously dated as fuck, but I found the artistic direction of the game ugly as sin. The washed up colors and the blurry and messy cartoony look doesn’t make the visuals any favour.

For a last gen game? I honestly see it always used as one of the top best looking games of that generation. From what I've seen over the past few weeks, your actually in here to play a trigger game, and it's amused me that people in here react to you. Some things you say don't really ring right to me. But you have every right to use "i'm entitled to my opinionnnn" (everyone loves that line) you never liked the first game, you never will, you have some honest deep hate and irksome behaviour for some pixels and polygons and a game which just isn't for you. A sequel to a game you full on hate, and yet i'm sure i've seen you say your going to get it when it's "in the bargain bin" ....... yawn. Who does that? Slag a game off so much yet your still gonna wait till the games on sale because you think ND will take a hit to sales because you didn't buy it? You definitely don't want to play the sequel but today your saying your playing the original again and you LOAATHHHH it....... colour me very confused. Time to move on?

Gamernyc78

Banned
Doing anything in red dead is a nighmare, dude cant even pick up canned peaches without what feels lile the characters suffering a hernia and moving as slow as my great grandfather
Put that shit down after four hours I could not force myself to play a game that felt like a chore and swimming in quick sand.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I wasn't going to get this since I didn't really like the first one, but I did preorder recently. The Skill Ups review really resonated with me since he had all the same gripes with the first one I had. I'm still going to grab it to playthrough it with everyone but I'm not expecting much. I don't trust a game getting almost all 10/10 reviews after RDR2. Maybe I'll be suprised though.

Last edited:

Ristifer

I have to agree. I still like RDR2, but it is a chore sometimes. Go into a cabin to try and steal some stuff out of some drawers, and opening every drawer becomes a mini game of frustrating proportions.

Sometimes I’ll see stuff I want to pick up in the middle of a mission, but just forget about it because I want to actually do the mission and not bend over slowly fifty times.

I get the realism of it. But damn. It really can test patience.

Business

Why are you still playing? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I played hundreds of hours of TLOU MP and the controls are fine, precise and it's not too slow to collect and craft items, believe me in the MP you have to do it quick.

It's funny the other day I decided to give Days Gone another chance and as I still couldn't get into it, I fired up RDR2 to see if it was me not in the mood for open world or Days Gone was actually mediocre. As I suspected it was Days Gone problem because RDR2 was as amazing as ever and just riding around is a joy. I will say tho that I was reminded and almost shocked at how bad the shooting in this game is, to the point dead eye is an absolute necessity to mask the disaster the shooting and cover mechanics are.

Funny and expected. The idea that you can force people to like something or "convince them" when they already made up their minds about it from an argumentative standpoint... lol please. Why try?
Game is showered in praise yet the detractors trust no "reviewers" except of course the statistically irrelevant one that dislikes the game, to use it to form the whole basis of their bad faifth argumentation - in other circles, trolling. At the end of the day, after all the theatrics, haters took a hard L, and it wasn't novel to predict. Doesn't really matter if they double down to drag it out - the illusion of pride.

I'm actually more interested in seeing all the little details and improvements in gameplay than in the story. TLOU factions gameplay was already addicting. Adding so many new layers to it is only a plus. Improved AI also goes a long way in making sandbox encounters feel dynamic, and alive. And for all intent and purposes they've achieved that here reading the reviews.

Yes, they mentioned the new 'Bloater' and then said there were other infected 'type(s)', so I'm expecting at least 3 new types of infected.

I want to go blind on that. Don't dig on it. You'll be surprised more when you see them in game. Only a week out.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Ok so I'm not the only one who was wondering what in the f**k is going on in his play session lol I've never had those issues in TLOU even on my 1st time playing it

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ok so I'm not the only one who was wondering what in the f**k is going on in his play session lol I've never had those issues in TLOU even on my 1st time playing it

I don't think he's being completely honest ... I also think a lot of people don't realise it's a stealth game at its heart and just go running and gunning into scenarios.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Why are you still playing? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I played hundreds of hours of TLOU MP and the controls are fine, precise and it's not too slow to collect and craft items, believe me in the MP you have to do it quick.

It's funny the other day I decided to give Days Gone another chance and as I still couldn't get into it, I fired up RDR2 to see if it was me not in the mood for open world or Days Gone was actually mediocre. As I suspected it was Days Gone problem because RDR2 was as amazing as ever and just riding around is a joy. I will say tho that I was reminded and almost shocked at how bad the shooting in this game is, to the point dead eye is an absolute necessity to mask the disaster the shooting and cover mechanics are.

Lol it's definitely up to the persons taste. Ever since I bought Days Gone few months ago I loved it. I am one trophy away from the Plat. Tried to get back into RDR2 after buying it day one, playing for four hours and I can't. I rate Days Gone higher than RDR2 due to controls, combat, fun factor and atlhough RDR 2's world might be graphically better Days Gone is no slouch and tht dynamic weather was done so so good.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
I wasn't going to get this since I didn't really like the first one, but I did preorder recently. The Skill Ups review really resonated with me since he had all the same gripes with the first one I had. I'm still going to grab it to playthrough it with everyone but I'm not expecting much. I don't trust a game getting almost all 10/10 reviews after RDR2. Maybe I'll be suprised though.
Another gripe I've read about part II is that the game preaches that things are bad, what you're doing is bad but the game only lets you do bad things and then the game preaches some more about doing bad things where the first one at least had some glimmers of hope sprinkled through the story.

Top Bottom