• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

hesido

No , you're right , Sony should absolutely have their flagship studio doing ports.

Don't be so dramatic. This is not like porting Crash Bandicoot.

They are porting their engine over which they need to anyway, their assets are ready and already in higher than PS3 quality. We don't know what percentage of the team is fully dedicated to this but it's probably not like a full-on production, I'm sure the art guys are already working on the next project, while programmers are using TLoU as a test bed, doing optimizations and all sorts of sweet stuff. Also, it's much easier for a team at ND doing the port compared to 3rd party who'll spend a heck lot of time porting the code over and trying to understand it, and it's not like anybody else would use that 3rd party ported code for future projects, it's wasted man hours and money.

Same thing in bullet points:
  • ND already needs to port their codebase to PS4. They said they wouldn't start from scratch and it makes perfect sense.
  • Work on TLoU just finished, and they aren't even returning to unused old code for a 10 year old game, everything about their codebase to be ported is fresh to them.
  • Any third party who'd do a port would take several times that of what ND would spend on, and ND would probably need to be consulted for that anyway.
  • Any third party work relating to porting the codebase would go to waste, it would only be used for that TLOU PS4. ND's port will be used for future ND games.
  • While they are porting things, it makes sense for them to cash in on TLOU. Not only from double dippers but newcomers to Playstation.

satori

I have a feeling this is going to be yet another game that receives an update a week after it's out for a "locked 30fps" option so that people who can't stomach framerate fluctuations can enjoy it :p

Hopefully it will be in there at the start. Luckily I am not one of those person that let fluctuations bother me, but my buddy can bitch about it to no end.

meanspartan

Don't screw me over Sony, give us an upgrade path.

Dude, come on. You played one of the best games of Gen 7 last year, and now you have the option of replaying a better version of it for the new console. I don't think Sony owes any of us anything in that regard- while a $40 price point would have been nice, I don't feel in the least "screwed" by deciding for myself if this game warrants a double-dip (it does to me).

Eusis

They are porting their engine over which they need to anyway, their assets are ready and already in higher than PS3 quality. We don't know what percentage of the team is fully dedicated to this but it's probably not like a full-on production, I'm sure the art guys are already working on the next project, while programmers are using TLoU as a test bed, doing optimizations and all sorts of sweet stuff. Also, it's much easier for a team at ND doing the port compared to 3rd party who'll spend a heck lot of time porting the code over and trying to understand it, and it's not like anybody else would use that 3rd party ported code for future projects, it's wasted man hours and money.

• ND already needs to port their codebase to PS4. They said they wouldn't start from scratch and it makes perfect sense.
  • Work on TLoU just finished, and they aren't even returning to unused old code for a 10 year old game, everything about their codebase to be ported is fresh to them.
  • Any third party who'd do a port would take several times that of what ND would spend on, and ND would probably need to be consulted for that anyway.
  • Any third party work relating to porting the codebase would go to waste, it would only be used for that TLOU PS4. ND's port will be used for future ND games.
  • While they are porting things, it makes sense for them to cash in on TLOU. Not only from double dippers but newcomers to Playstation.
I figured, one of the better reasons to port other than getting extra revenue is that I imagined it'd be a good excuse to get familiar with a new platform and to get work done there to make later efforts go easier and more smoothly, and it seems that's in full force here. Wonder what it could mean if they port the Uncharted games later though, would that be handled by someone else with what Naughty Dog did here, or what?
At some price point an update option makes financial sense, even if its like 40$.
Yeah, people need to think of this as a balancing act to get as much money as you can, and just telling people "fuck you pay $60" isn't going to magically make everyone that'd only be willing to pay $30 or $40 buy in, they'll just wait on a sale or price drop. Maybe they're ok with that and so it's like trying to call someone's bluff, but if enough of those people do go "fuck you" it can be better financially and for consumer good will to offer an upgrade path at the right cost to please most of them while getting you more money.

As in, more than the $60 physical release?

With a physical release you can dump it in the used market (decreasing new sales) and with digital all the money goes to Sony and the studio, not to distributors, retailers, and disc pressers.

$60 spent on digital is better money for Sony than $60 spent on a disc.

We have upgrade pricing on 'remastered' tables for Pinball Arcade.

Shin-Ra

Is there a wallpaper version of that box art?
Here's the PS3 XMB art until they upload new wallpaper:

ibcJVFe1WwT2qZ.png

More supersampled PS3 shots showing detail missed on PS3:

13746638754_609b6da0f3_o.png

13746638594_230179227d_o.png

13746638394_392f3214bc_o.png

I just noticed the finger wipe marks on Joel's right knee.

13746638124_ed428b05e0_o.png

Hopefully NPCs'll see a nice texture boost.

13746242955_b5b1c3e96e_o.png

Always loved the environment detail in this shot.

13746243885_91a4916e61_o.png

Hopefully it will be released in Europe soon, and remote play on Vita?

I'm thinking the reason this is only listing on the US store is because the EU version will likely have the same censorship as the PS3 version. Better to garner all that goodwill now with a general release announcement than splitting your fanbase at the onset with a haves & have-nots debate.

yurinka

Yep and I'm pretty sure they would port anyways their engine / base code to PS4 for Uncharted 4 so this work now won't be needed to be included in U4 budget.

And well, a lot of people didn't want to buy a PS3 or wanted BC basically just for this game to will make a lot of people happy having it here and improved.

So people were expecting to pay $40 for a game (that released less than a year ago and is still $60) with major graphical upgrades AND all of its DLC? Yeah, I think you were setting yourselves up for disappointment, there.

Day one.

"Upgrade path" doesn't make sense. If you bought the game on PS3 again you would be paying another $60. Why should you be able to get an upgraded version for cheaper?

Freeman

Banned
"Upgrade path" doesn't make sense. If you bought the game on PS3 again you would be paying another $60. Why should you be able to get an upgraded version for cheaper?
It would make financial sense to Sony at some point to offer this option for digital sales. It would create a good precedent and as a result increase the perceived value of digital sales, therefore moving more people into digital purchases where Sony has more control than retail.

I think the solution would be to offer a temporary(or not) discount based on a fixed percentage.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
60 bucks....

Thank you SO much for rewarding my purchase of the full game + left behind with an immediate upgraded re-release of the same game that will cost me full price again to enjoy...that's so very swell of you to do, ND.

Freeman

Banned
60 bucks....

Thank you SO much for rewarding my purchase of the full game + left behind with an immediate upgraded re-release of the same game that will cost me full price again to enjoy...that's so very swell of you to do, ND.
How much do you think they should charge?

60 bucks....

Lord this crap annoys me just as much as people bitching about a console dropping in price months after they bought the day one edition.

60 bucks....

i guess its up to you to decide if the value is there for the price. If not you could always wait for a pricecut, shouldn't be too hard since you already played the game. If you still want it day 1, then i'd say the value is there.

also, "technically" not full price since you're getting all DLC added at no extra.

Jesus Christ, I've never been so fucking excited for a game I've played already.

I'm not ashamed to platinum this for a second time. I wonder if they'll mix up the trophies this time around?

Dysun

Time to get rid of my PS3 version and recoup something at least. Will double dip for sure, and glad I held off on the DLC

lantus

As someone who bought the original game and the season pass, I will be buying this day one. The best game released last year, with all dlc, remastered, and it has vita remotely play? That's a done deal.

Nafai1123

Banned
60 bucks....

So don't buy it for $60? No ones forcing you to. Do you get mad when publishers release GOTY editions too?

Jesus Christ, I've never been so fucking excited for a game I've played already.

I'm not ashamed to platinum this for a second time. I wonder if they'll mix up the trophies this time around?

That would be cool. Honestly, I'd prefer it didn't have multiplayer Trophies this time.

There is something off about this picture (particularly Ellie), but I don't know what it is. It's driving me nuts.
Anyway, when I get the second, cheaper version of the PS4, I'll definitely get this along with it.

Its the size of her face. She seems to have a face thats more porportional to an adult than a kid. Thats whats probably off about the pic.

test_account

XP-39C²
60 bucks....

Dont you feel that you got your money worth with the PS3 version? They dont need to reward anyone outside of that. Personally i think that the game on PS3 was great and i feel that i definitelly got my moneys worth.

The game is also "old" now, so its not an immediate upgraded re-release. If you just bought the PS3 version, it might be that for you though and it might kinda sucks a bit, i can see that. But that blame cant be put on Naughty Dog when the game is "old".

If you dont want to buy the PS4 version for 60 dollars, you can always wait or buy it used.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Double dip, glad the gods did it makes sense to prove engine is up and running on ps4. But means that this game gets to be enjoyed by more gamers, some who where 360 players that bought a ps4. Oh and don't underestimate how good online is on this game, a solid multiplayer game on ps4

Hoo-doo

Banned
60 bucks....

Did the reveal of the remastered edition suddenly devalue your game or something? Get a grip.

You paid 60 bucks for the PS3 game, which is what you got. You are not somehow entitled to getting every other version of the game for cheap.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Dont you feel that you got your money worth with the PS3 version? Personally i think that the game on PS3 was great and i feel that i definitelly got my moneys worth. The game is also "old" now, so its not an immediate upgraded re-release. If you just bought the PS3 version, it might be that for you though, but that blame cant be put on Naughty Dog when the game is "old".

If you dont want to buy the PS4 version for 60 dollars, you can always wait or buy it used.
Don't buy it?

Top Bottom