• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

It's ultimately a cool idea that benefits a future me, theoretically, but I can't help but be wary of a 1 year old game getting a the remaster treatment. I hope that this isn't a trend but more of a way to fill out a newer system's game library.

I think a lot more folks would be crying foul if it weren't TLOU and instead something with a more mixed reception, like, for example: Assassin's Creed 3: Remastered Edition.

Still, as somebody that never had a PS3 I'll put this on my list of things to pick up once I get a PS4.

Its one of the most requested remaster. I don't understand the hate. Wait for a price drop, people!

Evo X

Already spent $85 on the PS3 version +DLC. It was a great game, but I'm not spending another $60 on this unless there is an upgrade promotion.

Amir0x

Banned
I thought about that the other day. There was something about someone spending half an hour looking at a pile of bricks in Rage in VR, then I couldn't escape the image of your avatar spending hours staring point blank at some random cafe counter in TLoU.

I don't know why every game I get with beautiful art direction turns into a virtual museum tour, but I find it kind of cathartic. Since I never go after trophies/achievements, I guess that's my way of getting my money's worth or something :p

On the up side, it means I usually never miss little environmental clues!

Loudninja

May:MLB 13
Summer:The Last of Us
Fall:The Order 1886

TBA: Drive Club

Still several games without dates, not to mention 3rd party games, looking very good.

Newboi

I borrowed TLOU from a friend and beat it once. I'd be down for a replay, especially with all of the new graphical enhancements, and the Left behind DLC.

I wondering what Gameplay tweaks will be implemented? Probably Dualshock 4 specific additions?

I'm wonder since they do have a tone of animation data, with the number of blended animation being limited by memory, if the PS4 version will have better, more varied, and more detailed animations during gameplay due to having more memory?

StuBurns

Banned
I don't know why every game I get with beautiful art direction turns into a virtual museum tour, but I find it kind of cathartic. Since I never go after trophies/achievements, I guess that's my way of getting my money's worth or something :p

On the up side, it means I usually never miss little environmental clues!
You'll be the world's greatest Witness player.

I think there is some significance to this beyond TLOU. If they're targeting 60fps, they must either be:

a) doing Uncharted 4 at 60 too

b) doing Uncharted 4 at 30 but are supremely confident that its visuals are good enough to justify the step back down in framerate, easily trumping TLOU@60.

Either way, it's great news.

Loudninja

+ Eric Monacelli on April 9th, 2014 at 12:41 pm said:

We’re putting a lot of effort into this to make it really a remastered version. We have found that working on the PS4 has allowed us to evolve and upgrade the visuals and a multitude of technical aspects of the game. We love setting challenging technical hurdles at every step – and this is no different.
+ Eric Monacelli on April 9th, 2014 at 12:43 pm said:

The new difficulty will be included.

thefit

Wow its real but what happens to the streaming version they have been showing off with the Playstation now service beta? Is that going to also be release this summer as a cheaper alternative or is it canned?

EDIT: preordered I mean it was a given I don't have a PS3 :p

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Will double dip. Glad I didn't play that SP DLC.

Wish it was Project Morpheus enabled though, sigh.

I bet they get this on shelves before the end of August.

From the interview Evan gave to Access Playstation it seemed like a small body of work started on this shortly after they shipped the PS3 version. Then when they saw the interest they put some more resources behind it. Give that I think a year is very kind for a small development team to get this released by July/August. Especially considering ND as a whole was probably already doing the heavy lifting of getting the engine over to PS4 anyway.

JP

I'm sure it's only me but I'm slight;y concerned by the possible 60fps refresh rate. More often than not that would be a clear improvement but changing the frame rate can also change how the controls feel and the feel of the controls were a major part of the enjoyment for me. Hopefully it'll be fine though whatever the frame rate is

jayu26

Wow its real but what happens to the streaming version they have been showing off with the Playstation now service beta? Is that going to also be release this summer as a cheaper alternative or is it canned?

PlayStation Now is not just a PS4 service. It is available on other devices too. So no, that version is still going to come...

Its one of the most requested remaster. I don't understand the hate. Wait for a price drop, people!

Haha its amusing nonetheless. But honestly, if people think its too expensive then just don't buy it. If you don't want remasters of great games, don't but them. To me personally, I think they have been a great idea ever since I purchased the God of War Collection for PS3 four years ago. It allows you to enjoy great titles on a new system.

Man

S¡mon;107564219 said:
NxhsrMk.png
If there ever was a videogame boxart that produces sales recently then surely this is it.

I'm sure it's only me but I'm slight;y concerned by the possible 60fps refresh rate. More often than not that would be a clear improvement but changing the frame rate can also change how the controls feel and the feel of the controls were a major part of the enjoyment for me. Hopefully it'll be fine though whatever the frame rate is

I'm not sure a game going to 60 fps ever made a game controls worse. Unless 'more responsive controls' sounds like a bad thing to you.

Hell yeah. I'm so in for this. I wonder what the gameplay/technical additions are.

They really should at least offer a $20 discount for season pass buyers of the ps3 version..

I want to support naughty dog but $60 is too high when I just bought the season pass a few months ago.

Same here. I agree. They would know who the season pass owners are.

RulkezX

Haha its amusing nonetheless. But honestly, if people think its too expensive then just don't buy it. If you don't want remasters of great games, don't but them. To me personally, I think they have been a great idea ever since I purchased the God of War Collection for PS3 four years ago. It allows you to enjoy great titles on a new system.

Remaster are usually done by contractors though, right ?

This has been what ND has been working on for a year on a new console that's first party line up is barren.

I'd have saved the best part of £1000 last November if I had known that the titles I am meant to be getting excited about are the ones I have already played but now in 1080p.

hesido

Remaster are usually done by contractors though, right ?

This has been what ND has been working on for a year on a new console that's first party line up is barren.

I'd have saved the best part of £1000 last November if I had known that the titles I am meant to be getting excited about are the ones I have already played but now in 1080p.

They are getting warmed up! This is good..

Dead

well not really...yet
Sounds amazing.

Bought the game full price AND the season pass. Will gladly double dip at full price.

Vire

Naughty Dog, I have a special request.

Please get rid of the silly flashlight shaking mechanic for the remastered edition or give us an option to use a button instead.

Ninja Dom

I really enjoyed this game (single player) even though the actual gameplay element was a little basic. I only played through it last month for the first time.

Top Bottom