• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Expecting some auto 10/10 because Naughty Dog and all that. I'm sure the game is a cracker though, let's do this!

jpd1408

Banned
This game is going to get a lot of criticism on how hard it is by some game journalist. It may have 10/10 story but survival games are not for everyone.

Picking up day one

21/20 like Uncharted 2 or no buy.

z1KGrgH.jpg

I wish there was an optional training level in every game where you can get a sense of the difficulty before playing.

I don't want an overly frustrating first play through so I think I'm going normal first with listening mode off. Hopefully its still challenging.

I guess there is still question on that. If you complete a campaign on say hard, will it unlock Survivor+? And will that stack with non-NG+ trophies?

Good point. I assumed you'd have to complete the game on Survivor before being able to play Survivor+, but that might not be the case. I hope that's not the case. Don't mind multiple-playthroughs, but that's a bit much.

ZeroRay

About the whole 2 teams thing: keep in mind that one of the people credited as the lead designer of UC3 is also the lead designer in tLOU.

I found UC3 a disappointment, but looking back, all of the game's issues were there because of a lack of proper dev time. Apart from gameplay/story issues, they shipped the game with busted controls and motion blur not working properly.

About the whole 2 teams thing: keep in mind that one of the people credited as the lead designer of UC3 is also the lead designer in tLOU.

Well the 2 teams don't necessarily have to be completely alternated from each other. You can have bi-partisan game designer but can have 2 different artistic & sound teams. The fact that ND has 2 teams working shows how one area of the development could be completely idle once he/she/they are done. Efficacy really is the important issue here as they can save valuable time during mid-development and such especially when related team members have finished touching up their duties.

what do you mean new game+?

whats survivor with listen mode off? - what is listen mode guys? :D

New game+ is just when you complete the game and start a new game, stuff caries over from the completed game to the new game.
Survivor is the highest difficulty availabe. It unlocks once you beat the game on any difficulty.
Listen mode is a feature that you can use in the game by holding down R2 to view outlines of enemies around you.

ZeroRay

Well the 2 teams don't necessarily have to be completely alternated from each other. You can have bi-partisan game designer but can have 2 different artistic & sound teams. The fact that ND has 2 teams working shows how one area of the development could be completely idle once he/she/they are done. Efficacy really is the important issue here as they can save valuable time during mid-development and such especially when related team members have finished touching up their duties.

Yep. From what I've read, while they do two projects simultaneously, the structure of the studio isn't really different than it was before. All artists, animators, modelers, programmers, etc. still work together in the same space. So it's not two studios separated across the building.

New game+ is just when you complete the game and start a new game, stuff caries over from the completed game to the new game.
Survivor is the highest difficulty availabe. It unlocks once you beat the game on any difficulty.
Listen mode is a feature that you can use in the game by holding down R2 to view outlines of enemies around you.
Do we know that for sure? In the Uncharted games it was not enough to play on normal to unlock crushing.

Thinking about investing in a 5.1 headset for this. I need one in general anyway but this is provoking the purchase like nothing else. Dunno if I want the Pulse Elite or a universal headset.

Andrew.

Banned
Hard and Survivor+ w/ Listen mode. Especially since Im gonna be OCD'ing with collectibles.

Headsets should practically be mandatory for this experience. I couldnt imagine playing something like this through regular television speakers. It's like doing the sound production team a massive disservice.

Ohwiseone

God Damnit.

I didn't know this game was coming out next week. I am gonna have to scrape up money to buy it now, aren't I?

I totally forgot this game existed until this thread, and if it is as good as the reviews are saying it is, I need to play it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So whats the over/under on the inevitable GAF backlash. Since Derrick is still banned last I checked, maybe an extra week?

antitrop

My PS3 has mostly been a $600 BluRay player this generation, but this game alone almost single-handedly justifies my purchase 7 years ago.

Andrew.

Banned
My PS3 has mostly been a $600 BluRay player this generation, but this game alone almost single-handedly justifies my purchase 7 years ago.

Yeah and once you finally log onto that bad boy, accept my damn friend request thats been pending since Infinite =P

Pachimari

I'm getting my copy tomorrow - excited!!!

And I almost know nothing of the game. I have seen the official trailers and 2 parts of gameplay and read a little bit of info and that's it.

zma1013

wtf thats dumb

kneeing a guy in the face and a huge chunk falls off and completely deforms the guy?

cmon

I think that's a zombie monster thing and one could make the case that if it's decayed, then his head could fall apart more easily than a regular person. Then again, I've purposely been blocking myself from seeing too much media for the game so I don't even know if the monsters are zombies. We all know the real answer is just that we like seeing exploding heads for some morbid reason.

antitrop

Guys tell me. Does this actually have a chance to *whispered voice* dethrone Uncharted 2?
I was bored to death with Uncharted 2 by a few hours in, but this has been my most anticipated game for over a year.

That had more to do with the circumstances surrounding the launch of U2 more than the game itself, I was invested in a lot of other games at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom