• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Legacy demo hits NA eshop on September 22

Kazerei

Banned
I'm impressed with how polished this game looks. The models, environments, aesthetics, interface are all very nice. I got kinda bored of the battles though, so hopefully the combat possibilities get more interesting. Could be alright for a classic JRPG romp.

Vamphuntr

Nope, they all just pop up in town, and join you without saying much at all. If you're looking for story or character interaction, this is not the game for you.

Indeed it is. You basically fight a small set of enemies in each map area over and over again for 30+ hours and that's 99% of the game. I found it to be too repetitious and dull.

Wow. That's disappointing. What were they thinking :(

duckroll

Wow. That's disappointing. What were they thinking :(

I think the game was always envisioned as more of a dungeon crawling game with a SaGa battle system and character selection format. Not sure if that's a great choice, but it is what it is. That's why Masato Kato is credited for "text direction" rather than "scenario" because there isn't really a linear story narrative.

Thanks. Surprised it wasn't in their new or demoes list.

The eShop UI just sucks balls. :(

Grabbed the demo and played a bit of it. I'm enjoying it enough to pick up the full game next month, but some of the implementation in the game is pretty iffy. Not having save points in the dungeon areas is a pretty ballsy decision for a modern RPG, especially when you can run into boss battles via singing stones without knowing it, and getting stuck in a battle you can't win without being able to escape. The battle system definitely feels like a SaGa game in several ways, but am I missing something or are there no items? How do you heal in battle?

There are items; you find some by searching in the field and can buy others at the shop in town. You can't open the menu to use or equip anything until you get back to town and speak with the King of Adventurers for the first time, which is a bit of a baffling decision but whatever. One of my starting party members came with a Medicine Box which you can use to heal in battles, and I assume that's usable by anyone.

So far I've found two other party members in the town, do more pop up as I progress in the game normally, or are the others found in specific areas later on? The scenario is definitely much more barebones than a typical SaGa game. I was hoping that you would actually cross paths with the other characters in actual story events, but it doesn't seem to be the case?

The thing I'm most disappointed in is that, comparing my playthrough of the demo and Atlus' stream of the game's opening a bit ago, your initial choice of character makes almost no difference in the scenario - just some minor dialogue differences and otherwise everything plays out exactly the same. Why even bother with giving you so many characters to choose from if you're not going to make them play out in different ways? It's so pointless.

As for your specific question, what the Atlus employees said during the stream is that more party members will pop up naturally as you play through the game until you've collected everybody.

LMN

After meeting with the King of Adventure, the game become a lot harder since there is a increase in number of enemies in each battle. I also like how we can create our own formation, add more in depth in term of tactic and strategy.
For the healing, just like what hosannainexcelsis said but I just want to add that the medicine box is an equipment, so the only team member that equip it can use heal. Same with shield and blocking.

Has there been news regarding a release in AUS/EU? I was in Japan at the beginning of the year when it was being advertised on the trains and have been eagerly anticipating its release since. I know from reviews and word of mouth it didn't quite hit the mark, but I still want it.

Umibozu

Finished the demo, some of the best music I've heard in a while.

When I was moving back and forth between areas I ran into a shadow zone area where the map wasn't being filled in and some reaper enemy was one-hit koing my party. Luckily I escaped, but haven't activated the zone again.

Also the formations are important as the attack, guard or support icons will give different stat boosts to the characters.

Edit: and looking through the menus it seems more formation stances will be unlocked later

Seda

Cleared the demo. Not sure I fully grasp the elemental nuances, but some of that might become clearer at points later in the game. There are definitely several options open to tweaking your party composition and battle strategy, which is nice, but I can definitely see how the larger structure of the game might get mundane.

And yes, sometimes a zone will be covered in shadow with a 'reaper' hanging around which I still need to try to beat. There's also a mutated cat(?) in one of the zones I haven't gotten around to besting yet.

The minimal narrative doesn't bother me though.

Has there been news regarding a release in AUS/EU? I was in Japan at the beginning of the year when it was being advertised on the trains and have been eagerly anticipating its release since. I know from reviews and word of mouth it didn't quite hit the mark, but I still want it.

NISA is releasing it in Europe next year.

Indeed it is. You basically fight a small set of enemies in each map area over and over again for 30+ hours and that's 99% of the game. I found it to be too repetitious and dull.

Woah, thanks for the heads up. *crosses this off list of games to potentially buy*

RM8

Awesome music, charming characters, fun traditional battle system, frog is adorable. This is a buy for me.

Picked Eloise, making her a fist fighter, took a damn long while to learn a single skill, but as soon as she did, other skills came faster, blocking and countering attacks for the whole party with bare fists feels good.

I found all the characters rather quick.

I thought I 100% the first area (dint know or see the water temple....) and accidentally sold the map, hope that dosent screw me over later.

There are "some" story elements, every now and then sleep at the inn and you might sometimes trigger a scene/dream involving the character you picked starting the game. Just small glimpses of their past it seems.

I did almost everything possible in like 4-5 hours and enjoyed every bit of it! Cured my Saga itch. Only thing left to do is either continue grinding my main party that I started with (hard to do since I wreck everything in 1-2 turns) or train the other characters. Would also like to see if I can get that dark zone to trigger again.

Anyone know if you can learn magic without having to equip the shards?

Wingus

Everything about this game screams 'SaGa' and I really like it. The battle U.I where you switch between weapons/skills/magic and items, in particular, reminds me of the Romancing SaGa trio.

Day 1 purchase.

Umibozu

Anyone know if you can learn magic without having to equip the shards?
Depends on what you mean.
If you mean will they learn magic without ever equiping the shards, probably not.
I've gotten owen to memorise/learn a magic spell after equipping and casting it the first time. It allowed him to continue using the spell even without the corresponding shard equipped.

Depends on what you mean.
If you mean will they learn magic without ever equiping the shards, probably not.
I've gotten owen to memorise/learn a magic spell after equipping and casting it the first time. It allowed him to continue using the spell even without the corresponding shard equipped.

.....you would think Eloise would have the easiest time to learn them. Guess ill add that to the "to do till game is released" list. Thanks for the heads up.

It seems im unlucky when it comes to learning attacks, my friend learned 4 new attacks in the first boss fight while I only got 1 much later after the boss. So far Owen has not learned anything, Eloise has learn 5 bare hand attacks and Liber only 1 bow attack........

Cleared the demo. Not sure I fully grasp the elemental nuances, but some of that might become clearer at points later in the game. There are definitely several options open to tweaking your party composition and battle strategy, which is nice, but I can definitely see how the larger structure of the game might get mundane.

And yes, sometimes a zone will be covered in shadow with a 'reaper' hanging around which I still need to try to beat. There's also a mutated cat(?) in one of the zones I haven't gotten around to besting yet.

The minimal narrative doesn't bother me though.

NISA is releasing it in Europe next year.

Thank you! I must have missed this announcement. :)

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to play for about 15 min. I liked the pop up effect more than I thought I would. Maybe the larger N3DS XL screen helped. From the earlier videos it felt like things were popping on and off the screen too quickly but I don't feel that way anymore. The game is also quite pretty.

poncle

Even less narrative than the average SaGa? Is it even possible?

Really looking forward to this one, even if the battle effects seem very shy. Replaying SaGa Frontier right now, and oh god I love those crazy, kitch, over the top, visual effects.

I asked before, but anyone know what roles Cattle Call did in the game alongside Grezzo, but more specifically any SaGa/Square history with Cattle Call? Grezzo has numerous Square/SaGa and Mana folks there.

Wingus

Really looking forward to this one, even if the battle effects seem very shy. Replaying SaGa Frontier right now, and oh god I love those crazy, kitch, over the top, visual effects.

Yep, the flashiest game in the series, but pulling off those 5-people combos created a wonderful spectacle :D. SaGa Frontier 2's special effects were more subdued in comparison.

duckroll

I'm not really sure what this means. While SaGa games have always been pretty untraditional and sometimes downright obtuse when it comes to gameplay mechanics and narrative progression, they always have -tons- of story. There are tons of character-centric stuff, multiple storylines that cross with each other, etc.

Wingus

I was just wondering how weapon skills were acquired, when froggy went into 'Awakened!' and learned Double Thrust.

Looks like the good old 'sparking' (lightbulb) moment of SaGa is in (to some degree) :)

Liking it so far.
I just dont know how learning new skills and more importantly magic is handled.
Contracts or whatever.
Must keep shards on?

Sinople

So, does anyone know what's been improved from the JP version?
I asked before, but anyone know what roles Cattle Call did in the game alongside Grezzo, but more specifically any SaGa/Square history with Cattle Call? Grezzo has numerous Square/SaGa and Mana folks there.
Cattle Call is the developer. It's been founded by ex-Data East staff and has no relation with Square-Enix AFAIK, apart from working on the programming part of the DQIV DS port. They're mainly known for the Metal Max series.
I believe Grezzo is not involved other than Kyoji Koizumi doing the game design.

It could be past my bedtime but if yesterday was the 22nd and I'm in North America......why don't I see this demo on the 3ds eshop?

Illucio

Banned
I have no need to play the demo I already have the game pre-ordered due to the sheer awesome of the game alone.

(I don't need any more distractions.... But that game transfer... D:)

ss-hikaru

Has a dumb name like Bravely Default
Has chibi style like Bravely Default
I think I will like this game but maybe not as much as Bravely Default :p

The thing I'm most disappointed in is that, comparing my playthrough of the demo and Atlus' stream of the game's opening a bit ago, your initial choice of character makes almost no difference in the scenario - just some minor dialogue differences and otherwise everything plays out exactly the same. Why even bother with giving you so many characters to choose from if you're not going to make them play out in different ways? It's so pointless.

Oh...when I read there were different endings for each character I got excited. Then i read your quoted post and got disappointed...for like 1 second before realising that I probably wouldn't be assed replaying the game 6 more times even if there were substantial plot/dialogue differences!

poncle

I'm not really sure what this means. While SaGa games have always been pretty untraditional and sometimes downright obtuse when it comes to gameplay mechanics and narrative progression, they always have -tons- of story. There are tons of character-centric stuff, multiple storylines that cross with each other, etc.

Aside from Frontier 2, I can't think of a SaGa game with a lot of story content (I have skipped Romancing 2 only)

Dialogues are just a few, very short, and go straight to the point.
Storylines cross with each other in pretty much a random way, most of the times is just a main character joining the party of another main character.
The world is not described thoroughly, very little of it is explained, stuff simply happens and is up to the player to deduct what-means-what through scarce hints put in random dialogues.

It's absolutely fine and I love it all, but I think we mean different things when talking about narrative.

Honestly, if you were to throw a few kanji together and make up a title, it would likely sound quite horrible to japanese ears, too.

I agree, that's why if it were me you bet your ass I'd make damn sure to ask a Japanese person's opinion to save myself from the embarrassment!

Seriously, I can never get used to seeing this title and I'm baffled they wouldn't alter it for the West, almost anything, anything would make it better. Even calling it The Fantastic Legend would sound more inspired...

zadig

Neo Member
I agree, that's why if it were me you bet your ass I'd make damn sure to ask a Japanese person's opinion to save myself from the embarrassment!

Seriously, I can never get used to seeing this title and I'm baffled they wouldn't alter it for the West, almost anything, anything would make it better. Even calling it The Fantastic Legend would sound more inspired...

What about The Legacy of Legend? :p

ys45

Oh I was not aware there would be a demo for that.
Already preordered this but I'm curious, I will try it tonight .

Is this releasing soon ?

So the more I use a certain weapon the more I learn skills in a specific weapon(?) class?

Yup, use fist attacks get fist skills, spear attacks get spear skills, etc.

I'm pretty sure the characters have specific affinities for different weapons, which I assume includes the ability for them to learn skills of that weapon a little easier probably. So that is probably something to be aware of as well

Edit: Questions

1. Do you need to be in defense mode for a character to spark defensive skills for weapons? Like some kind of sword counter move or whatever? Or can you spark it at any time but it just has extra benefits for using it in defense mode?

2. Anyone spark any Greatsword skills with Owen yet (or anyone if they equipped one on them)? I have yet to see a new greatsword skill

3. Can someone explain magic and how to learn it? I have the water accessory equipped to the Frog, but all I can do is make a contract, how do you start learning spells?

4. Is there any information at all on this game from the Japanese release? Because I can't find anything (tips, strategies, character strengths/weaknesses, etc.)

Kouriozan

Oh I remember, this one is the true SaGa game (= made by the same devs as the previous ones).
Hope it'll hit the EU eShop.

Yup, use fist attacks get fist skills, spear attacks get spear skills, etc.

I'm pretty sure the characters have specific affinities for different weapons, which I assume includes the ability for them to learn skills of that weapon a little easier probably. So that is probably something to be aware of as well

Edit: Questions

1. Do you need to be in defense mode for a character to spark defensive skills for weapons? Like some kind of sword counter move or whatever? Or can you spark it at any time but it just has extra benefits for using it in defense mode?

2. Anyone spark any Greatsword skills with Owen yet (or anyone if they equipped one on them)? I have yet to see a new greatsword skill

3. Can someone explain magic and how to learn it? I have the water accessory equipped to the Frog, but all I can do is make a contract, how do you start learning spells?

4. Is there any information at all on this game from the Japanese release? Because I can't find anything (tips, strategies, character strengths/weaknesses, etc.)

1.not sure but there HAS to be some benefit, most times I attack with owen in guard stance his sword skills guard kevel increases.

2. Owen has yet to learn anything.....my friend got him to learn ricochet with shield somehow.

3. A few minutes ago I managed to make Eloise memorize bubble blaster, water contract is the first magic shard you find (Liber refuses to memorize that one....). Just keep finding singing stones to find more magic spells then spam them until the character learns to use it without having the shard equipped.

4. Yeah guides/tips seem scarce.......

I wasn't sure if I would buy this game, but the demo pretty much sold me. Its oddly fun, though it kills my October (Disgaea 5, Yoshi's Wooly World, and I still have EOU2 post game to finish). If you are looking for info on the game, the GameFAQS community actually has a lot of it. I've been looking there to get a idea of how these things work
Read: Grinding and RNG

Jhoan

Waiting to download the demo but it's been stuck at 1% so I had to stop it and redownload it. I'm very much looking forward to it since I'm a sucker for JRPGs. This might be one of those games I end up getting during B1G1 free sale that ends up surprising me.

The demo was enjoyable.

Still no word on the changes for the western release?

Kind of strange that they are waiting till the last minute to talk about it. Maybe they are expecting some kind of backlash when they finally do?

Top Bottom