• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Legacy demo hits NA eshop on September 22

I liked the demo okay, but hearing that the story is really bare in the final game makes me hesitant. I always liked the odd way SaGa games stories worked, where you didn't have a full picture of stuff until you'd gone through everyone.

Given that this drops around DQH, Disgaea 5, and ToZ, I'm not sure I can justify grabbing it at launch now :(

Yeah, I dunno. I'm absolutely adoring the setting, world, music, etc. And the start of the game does a good job of setting up an intriguing intro. I wanna learn all about the island and it's mysterious forgotten past, and how these group of strangers get their own personal agendas and stories meshed up with the islands and among each other.

Why would they have such a great set up like this and then apparently not do anything with it in terms of plot? What a wasted opportunity.

Huh, while trying to make Liber memorize the Purify charm, he learned a completely new charm called Mystic Spray which lowers the enemies attack. So I guess Whispering Shards aren't the only way to obtain magic. Man this game is gonna eat my hours away.....

Umibozu

I thought learning new skills was based off of the character attack/guard/support levels for the respective weapon, but it seems I was wrong.
While looking at the e-manual it said for awakening skills:
''As characters use an art or charm, they will have a chance of either growing stronger with that skill or even awakening a new, more powerful skill!''

So I guess it is chance based :(

edit:also to clarify support will increase speed if attacking/artes or it will increase magic if using magic

garath

I just downloaded the demo last night and played some on the bus to work today. I'm really kind of digging it. What are the major differences between the main characters? I guess it's kind of a class thing? I was torn between a few. So much so that I almost want to restart to pick another lol.

Full game in October? I may have to preorder this from best buy. 40 is a bit steel but 32 after gcu is better.

I just downloaded the demo last night and played some on the bus to work today. I'm really kind of digging it. What are the major differences between the main characters? I guess it's kind of a class thing? I was torn between a few. So much so that I almost want to restart to pick another lol.

Full game in October? I may have to preorder this from best buy. 40 is a bit steel but 32 after gcu is better.

There is basically no difference between that characters. The start with different equips/skill levels, but you can make anyone do anything really. Each character has preferences, but there doesn't seem to be anything they can't learn from grinding out skills. Go for whoever looks interesting to you, as you will only see their story (whatever there is anyway). You'll be able to recruit everyone else fairly quickly anyway.

Sora_N

The world and characters seem really charming. Great music too. I gotta give the demo a bit more time. I'm pretty torn on whether I'll pick this up.

Seda

Each element also seem to have passive effects, the side with water element gets HP regen, Wind gives SP regen I believe. The passive effect and magic skills ( I think) are also stronger depending how much of that element is on the scale. If you plan to take on the shadow giants, water contract and water shield are your best friends.

Eloise memorized all the charms and Liber got water shield.

Huh, while trying to make Liber memorize the Purify charm, he learned a completely new charm called Mystic Spray which lowers the enemies attack. So I guess Whispering Shards aren't the only way to obtain magic. Man this game is gonna eat my hours away.....

Yep, Water Shield is super duper useful. I also had a character memorize 'Purify' when using the 'Healing Hands' shard. So I guess there's a chance to learn other abilities of the same element when using a whispering shard.

One thing I don't really understand some of the nuances of. So each character has a level gauge for Attack, Support, and Guard. So I suppose these levels reflect that character's effectiveness within those stances. However, each skill also has a level gauge for Attack/Support/Guard. So I guess skill's effectiveness is also powered up through whatever stance it is used in? For example, I've used Water Shield in both Attack and Support formations (Support makes more sense because it'll speed up the casting), and levels up in both. I guess I'm not totally sure... what that means.

Of course, attacking skills should be used in Attack formation, healing/magic in Support, etc. But they can 'level up' in the other stances, too.

EDIT: The encyclopedia within the menu indicates there are other Attack-style, Support-style, and Guard-style stances, but I'm not sure how you unlock them.

Played through the demo. It's ok. I think I'm going to cancel my pre-order and snag Disgaea 5 instead of this though. What's there is good but not enough to make me ignore what else is releasing this fall.

Finished the demo and feeling addicted for more. I never really played a saga game so it was a bit hard to getting started and understanding the nuances of battle system but I feel like I got a good handle on it by the second map. For sure picking up the first day edition.

duckroll

I have 100% on three areas in the Forest Ruins. Is that it? Can I sell the map safely now? Or is there something more I'm missing? Asking just in case.

I have 100% on three areas in the Forest Ruins. Is that it? Can I sell the map safely now? Or is there something more I'm missing? Asking just in case.
There are five areas in the Forest Ruins.
Did you clear the Fallen Cathedral/Altar Room?

When a map is completely done, the Value will be listed as 5 stars.

duckroll

Oh I'm not done then. I'll explore some more. Must have missed something. I've only been the two areas connected to the first area on the top and the right. Thanks for the heads up!

Went to get the demo. 3DS needs to update. Not enough battery for an update. Grrr.

I always liked the saga games, though the only ones I've finished were FF Legend 1 and 2 for the gameboy. True, the story is always sparse, but they present fun systems to mess around with. Remind me a bit of roguelikes.

Beartruck

Well maybe I overgrinded, but the shadow giant went down fairly easily. I just had Filmia blocking with a good shield I got from the port, and with liber casting water shield in addition he could barely hurt us.

Tamanator

Yeah, I dunno. I'm absolutely adoring the setting, world, music, etc. And the start of the game does a good job of setting up an intriguing intro. I wanna learn all about the island and it's mysterious forgotten past, and how these group of strangers get their own personal agendas and stories meshed up with the islands and among each other.

Why would they have such a great set up like this and then apparently not do anything with it in terms of plot? What a wasted opportunity.

Indeed it is such a disappointment. Battle systems and general gameplay is generally not enough for me to enjoy a RPG, I need an interesting plot and storyline to go alongside it, even if it is cliché ridden.

garath

I'm really enjoying it. Haven't found where to recruit any new people though. Only been in the first few areas of the forest ruins though so maybe that comes a bit later. If best buy had a preorder page up I'd preorder it right now.

Umibozu

Oh I'm not done then. I'll explore some more. Must have missed something. I've only been the two areas connected to the first area on the top and the right. Thanks for the heads up!
When you try to sell a map, you will get a completion bonus when you get 100% of the map. So if you don't see it just back out of the screen and continue exploring.

I'm really enjoying it. Haven't found where to recruit any new people though. Only been in the first few areas of the forest ruins though so maybe that comes a bit later. If best buy had a preorder page up I'd preorder it right now.
They show up as townspeople randomly and you recruit them just by talking to them.

duckroll

Okay, I sold complete maps of both the Forest Ruins and the Hidden Forest. Fought 3 bosses in total (all in the Forest Ruins), restored the Forest Ruins, reported to the King of Adventurers, couldn't find anything substantial to do in the Hidden Forest, bought the map for the next area, and got the THANK YOU FOR PLAYING screen when I tried to go there. Am I pretty much done with the demo? Anything else I might be missing?

Umibozu

Okay, I sold complete maps of both the Forest Ruins and the Hidden Forest. Fought 3 bosses in total (all in the Forest Ruins), restored the Forest Ruins, reported to the King of Adventurers, couldn't find anything substantial to do in the Hidden Forest, bought the map for the next area, and got the THANK YOU FOR PLAYING screen when I tried to go there. Am I pretty much done with the demo? Anything else I might be missing?
Did you fight and beat the shadow giant(reaper)? Yes, aside from that sounds like you're done.
edit: also the giant dog (mini boss?) in hidden ruins top left part of the map

duckroll

Did you fight and beat the shadow giant(reaper)? Yes, aside from that sounds like you're done.
edit: also the giant dog (mini boss?) in hidden ruins top left part of the map

Is the giant dog just a normal Shadowbeast encounter? If not I must have missed it. I fought the Shadow Giant once, but got seriously owned and had to escape. Haven't been able to trigger another encounter yet. Is that all that's left? I'm mostly wondering because if there isn't much more, I think I'll just wait for the full game, and prepare the data transfer. :)

What a dumb name.
This is what I thought too. I mean Legend and Legacy are different words I guess but they kinda mean the same thing and they sound so similar that they look like the same word at a glance. I think they were going for alliteration like Final Fantasy or Dragon's Dogma or whatever but this is just horrible.

Is the giant dog just a normal Shadowbeast encounter? If not I must have missed it. I fought the Shadow Giant once, but got seriously owned and had to escape. Haven't been able to trigger another encounter yet. Is that all that's left? I'm mostly wondering because if there isn't much more, I think I'll just wait for the full game, and prepare the data transfer. :)

Giant dog looks like a normal enemy, but way bigger and its red, you can only kill him once so i guess hes a optional mid boss?. Shadow Giants are easy and best place to leaen new moves if you leave someone on water contract/water shield duty and someone else tanking.

garath

They do...

Nice! Yesterday when I looked they had the page but it said "coming soon" awesome :)

When you try to sell a map, you will get a completion bonus when you get 100% of the map. So if you don't see it just back out of the screen and continue exploring.

They show up as townspeople randomly and you recruit them just by talking to them.

Ahh. I haven't talked to any villagers after the first pass. That explains it

I'm really liking this. Been craving a traditional JRPG on the system for ages. I hated Bravely Default so this is scratching the itch nicely, despite the lack of traditional leveling.

Currently finishing up the last bit of the maps in the demo with the Eloise party.

Just beat my first Shadow Giant. Garnet unlocked 11 s-sword skills and Helping Hand, while Eloise learned 2 staff skills, 2 bow skills and Helping Hand. I swear, Eloise is having such a hard time learning any skills. I had Bianca spamming Water Contract this time since I figured she had been learning skills well enough. I'll probably try grinding a few more of them out for Eloise, and I guess put some different weapons on Garnet.

I know I said earlier that I was sold, but now I've kind of cooled off on the game. Its still just as much fun, but the lack of any apparent rhyme or reason for learning skills leaves me feeling indifferent in a bad way. I'll probably still buy it (thank you Amazon E3 deal + other discounts) but it will likely be placed in my backlog.

Not really interested in playing much of the demo, since I know I'm already sold on the game...but can some explain what's the point of picking different characters in the beginning?

TheGrue

Not really interested in playing much of the demo, since I know I'm already sold on the game...but can some explain what's the point of picking different characters in the beginning?
Don't know the answer to your question but wanted to point out your progress for the demo carries over to retail.

It only seems to determine which characters story you get to see. At least, the little there is to show.

It only seems to determine which characters story you get to see. At least, the little there is to show.

Specifically, it only seems to affect the backstory scenes you get, which are really minimal. Other than that the game plays out exactly the same - the same sequence of events on the island, the same locations in the same order, etc.

Does anyone know how long the full game is?

See:

Indeed it is. You basically fight a small set of enemies in each map area over and over again for 30+ hours and that's 99% of the game. I found it to be too repetitious and dull.

Um how do I open the menu? All I can do is take screenshots. I have no idea what's going with the battles.

As Seda indicated, you don't get the menu until you beat the first boss and visit with the King of Adventurers in town.

Bladenic

Only thing that matters when picking is who can learn which skills faster.

According to Gamefaqs, Liber has the worst stats out of the 7, and Bianca starts with the lowest hp (40, IIRC) so she might be the hardest to start with depending on your play style.

Character story is minimal. But they still have they're charm~

oh no Liber is the one I chose. Oh well I guess

Umibozu

So I keep using Water Contract and eventually i'll learn something?
No, use water element to gain the element on your side of the field. Then with a whispering shard, use its respective magic attack for a chance to memorise(learn) different magic.

UCBooties

I have played about 5 hours of the demo and I have done everything except fight the shadow giant. I still haven't seen it so I'm hoping it will pop up soon. Some of the characters seem really slow to learn skills so that can be disheartening. Also, none of the characters have learned any magic yet, can water contract ever be memorized or is that only something a character can use if they have the shard equipped?

Edit: Also, how do you learn the counter attack abilities?

Had a hard time choosing a starting character. Chose the guy with the gigantic sword because that's hilarious, and he was given the frog guy right off the bat which was my second choice. Also got Garnet, which seemed appropriate. I died to one of the bosses and lost two moves I could never get them to learn again. And big sword guy only learned normal sword moves. But that's SaGa for you...

Stances were kinda broken and dumb in Minstrel Song, but I like the concept. I like how defensive stance works in this game. Garnet learned "Arm Lock", a martial arts move that counters and stuns. It looks cool when it works a bunch of times in one round, but the stun effect is pretty silly since the enemy already acted. Didn't get a chance to try it against a boss, but it didn't activate as much as Block anyway.

Edit: @UCBooties, I got Arm Lock just by using Palm Thrust or whatever the basic skill is called. No idea what stance Garnet was in, but she was the one who got attacked.

oh no Liber is the one I chose. Oh well I guess

Still have him in my team and I made him good. He is my offense and backup support. That's the beauty of SaGa games, the system lets you shape the characters and any way you want.....well in most of the games at least.

Vena

Gave this demo a whirl and I really liked it, ended up actually putting in the pre-order for the music bonus that comes along with it even though I'd have preferred a digital version of the game.

I've been rolling with what the game gave me at the start: Bianca, Meurs, and knight-lady-whos-name-I-forgot. I've picked up the others as well but I don't see much reason to use anyone other than the guys I've already used and "leveled".

That said, is there any good way to speed up learning magic? It seems to take forever to proc the acquisition off of the shards.

Top Bottom