• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE MUSIC DRAFT - DRAFTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Vox-Pop said:
Since you posted this:
I just assumed you were talking about VU & Nico, I though people forgot about it.

Nope, it isn't that one. There is however a classic rock record from the 60s I might try and get tomorrow unless it gets in this round. Then there is another one I might try and get in Round 8 to have a diverse list. Then one hip-hop record and one jazz record which I might forego one of them so I can at least have my all time favorite record on this list.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
AlternativeUlster said:
Nope, it isn't that one. There is however a classic rock record from the 60s I might try and get tomorrow unless it gets in this round. Then there is another one I might try and get in Round 8 to have a diverse list. Then one hip-hop record and one jazz record which I might forego one of them so I can at least have my all time favorite record on this list.
ha, I think I know what that all time favorite is.

I should pick it just to be a dick.

AlternativeUlster

Ford Prefect said:
I would've taken either, tbh, though I do prefer Nico. In fact, there's at least 5 Beach Boys albums I would gladly have taken if someone else took Pet Sounds. Fuck, Smiley Smile is the motherfucking shit... even if Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains (no matter how good they are) stick out like sore thumbs.

At least 5 eh? Does this mean if people picked the 6 best Beach Boys records, you would pick Still Cruisin' and then when you try to hype up your record, you send link to a YouTube video of the cast of Full House dancing to Kokomo? :lol

AlternativeUlster

Ford Prefect said:
ha, I think I know what that all time favorite is.

I should pick it just to be a dick.

:lol Whatever man. They are my all time favorite band and have been since I was like 3. I guess they would be the only exception if someone picked my favorite album, I would pick another by them.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
AlternativeUlster said:
At least 5 eh? Does this mean if people picked the 6 best Beach Boys records, you would pick Still Cruisin' and then when you try to hype up your record, you send link to a YouTube video of the cast of Full House dancing to Kokomo? :lol
bitch pls

Beach Boys had like 15 great albums pre-70s ALONE. and that still leaves like another 7(?) great albums to choose from. Like Beach Boys Party? I would totally pick Beach Boys Party, that's how good it is. Not sure if it counts as a live album or not, though...

AlternativeUlster said:
:lol Whatever man. They are my all time favorite band and have been since I was like 3. I guess they would be the only exception if someone picked my favorite album, I would pick another by them.
nope, your wording confirmed I don't know who you're talking about. you're safe!

AlternativeUlster

Ford Prefect said:
bitch pls

Beach Boys had like 15 great albums pre-70s ALONE. and that still leaves like another 7(?) great albums to choose from. Like Beach Boys Party? I would totally pick Beach Boys Party, that's how good it is. Not sure if it counts as a live album or not, though...

nope, your wording confirmed I don't know who you're talking about. you're safe!

Oh, I am totally joking about Still Cruisin' but since you are a fan and all, how do you feel about that record? Also, you remind me of my friend Peter who did a 24 hour radio show of nothing but the Beach Boys and yes by the end of it, he was playing Kokomo even though he vowed not to.

Metal Machine Music is my 2nd favorite record of all time if that is what you are referring to. Well, I think that is where I stand on it today. But yeah, I don't think I am going to win anyone over with that one. :lol

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
AlternativeUlster said:
Oh, I am totally joking about Still Cruisin' but since you are a fan and all, how do you feel about that record? Also, you remind me of my friend Peter who did a 24 hour radio show of nothing but the Beach Boys and yes by the end of it, he was playing Kokomo even though he vowed not to.

Metal Machine Music is my 2nd favorite record of all time if that is what you are referring to. Well, I think that is where I stand on it today. But yeah, I don't think I am going to win anyone over with that one. :lol
yeah, MMM is what I was thinking of.

You know, Kokomo is one of the first Beach Boys songs I liked, and I still stand by it today, even if hardly a Wilson boy had a goddamn thing to do with its creation. As for the entire album, I haven't even bothered with it yet. Hell, I just barely started listening to MIU a couple months ago and realized how awesome IT was, BW was still on board at that point. I was always too swamped with bootlegs of Smile and studio sessions to venture out much further than Love You.

Same with Pink Floyd. Even when I was a huge fan of theirs, I still haven't really listened to any of the post-Waters records.

AlternativeUlster

Ford Prefect said:
yeah, MMM is what I was thinking of.

You know, Kokomo is one of the first Beach Boys songs I liked, and I still stand by it today, even if hardly a Wilson boy had a goddamn thing to do with its creation. As for the entire album, I haven't even bothered with it yet. Hell, I just barely started listening to MIU a couple months ago and realized how awesome IT was, BW was still on board at that point. I was always too swamped with bootlegs of Smile and studio sessions to venture out much further than Love You.

I too usually go chronologically with stuff too. Especially ever since I was 15 and heard how awesome the Happy Mondays and Gang of Four was from my godfather and then I picked up Yes Please and Shrinkwrapped respectively. :lol It wasn't until like 3 years later until I heard either Pills N Thrills or Entertainment just because of how much I hated those other albums.

The first artist I went chronologically with (well other than my favorite band) was with Tom Waits when I was 16 after someone telling me that I would like him a lot. It took like 9 records and a year or so before I got to Swordfishtrombones which exploded to me so I had to immediately buy Rain Dogs and Frank's Wild Years. I can't even think of an artist whose best album is his 10th record. Hell, I can't even think of an artist whose 5th album is their best. Oh wait, I think Trans-Europe is Kraftwerk's 6th or 7th, I can't remember. Still impressive though.

AlternativeUlster

Vox-Pop said:
Metal Machine Music....may I ask why you like it?

I'm sure you know the story, but either way you might enjoy this article: http://parttimepunks.com/static/pdfs/ISSUE97-The_Bins.pdf

It is the album that got really got me into noise and proved that some of the greatest things in life are completely accidentally. It was one of the few times I have had a religious experience while listening to a record. Hell, the only other record that gives me an emotional experience is while listening to my favorite record which gives me pure happiness.

The suspense for AlternativeUlster's all time favorite record is growing!

I am having trouble opening that PDF. I might have to update my Acrobat.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
AlternativeUlster said:
I can't even think of an artist whose best album is his 10th record. Hell, I can't even think of an artist whose 5th album is their best. Oh wait, I think Trans-Europe is Kraftwerk's 6th or 7th, I can't remember. Still impressive though.
It all comes back to the Boys... Pet Sounds was their 11th or so :lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Painkiller is Judas Priest's 12th. I think it is their best but I could see that argument being made for Stained Glass or Sad Wings of Destiny.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Speaking of which, AU, you'd be surprised how much good music I've yet to get into. Is Tom Waites not a good person to get into chronologically? What album should I start with?

P.S.- did you get that last PM I sent you a few weeks late?

AlternativeUlster

Vox-Pop said:
Here's a better link:
http://www.parttimepunks.com/bins/6/

If anyone here is a fan of punk or post-punk listen to the part time punks' podcast (It's also a weekly radio program in LA): http://www.parttimepunks.com/podcasts/part-time-punks-kxlu/
Great music available each week.

Oh yeah, it is always up in the air on what Lou Reed really thought of Metal Machine. He has been quoted that he originally wanted it to be released on RCA Victor, RCA's classical label. I completely agree about it what he says how noise music is the conclusion of heavy metal though. Things don't get heavier than screeching noise even though Metal Machine isn't harsh noise by any means and I think is incredibly beautiful. Have you listened to it before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr0KkzbbqPI

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
AlternativeUlster said:
Oh yeah, it is always up in the air on what Lou Reed really thought of Metal Machine. He has been quoted that he originally wanted it to be released on RCA Victor, RCA's classical label. I completely agree about it what he says how noise music is the conclusion of heavy metal though. Things don't get heavier than screeching noise even though Metal Machine isn't harsh noise by any means and I think is incredibly beautiful. Have you listened to it before?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr0KkzbbqPI

Not completely but I have it stored on my computer. I'm a huge-HUGE Lou Reed fan, I even like his 80-90's work, but I've never been able to sit down and listen to MMM all the way through. I might have to give it another go--one of my upcoming picks is a Reed album, I doubt anyone will pick it, so I'm not worried.

AlternativeUlster

Ford Prefect said:
Speaking of which, AU, you'd be surprised how much good music I've yet to get into. Is Tom Waites not a good person to get into chronologically? What album should I start with?

P.S.- did you get that last PM I sent you a few weeks late?

Oh yeah, I got your PM. I logged off for almost a month to get some work done. I did write down on my list of stuff to do today to send you a PM either today or tomorrow. I promise. :lol

But yeah, it depends on what type of Waits you want to get into. He basically has 2 periods. The Crooner piano ballad period which starts with Closing Time and goes for 10 albums or so. Either way, there are still good records in there. Then there is his 2nd period which starts with his album Swordfishtrombones which is his theatrical boogey-man / bad ass troubadour period. Rain Dogs was his 2nd album of this period which was better realized and he started to work with his wife Kathleen Brennen on this record (just for one track though). They now usually co-write everything.

Here are some highlights from that record:
Jockey Full of Bourbon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYJZY_wWOz0
Tango Until they Are Soar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Tn8w1w2_Y

My favorite track from the record Hang Down Your Head can't be found on YouTube that isn't a live version but that is the first song he wrote with his wife.

AlternativeUlster

Vox-Pop said:
Not completely but I have it stored on my computer. I'm a huge-HUGE Lou Reed fan, I even like his 80-90's work, but I've never been able to sit down and listen to MMM all the way through. I might have to give it another go--one of my upcoming picks is a Reed album, I doubt anyone will pick it, so I'm not worried.

Man, I wonder what Lou Reed record it could be. Most people who aren't way into Lou Reed would pick Transformer but it seems like alot of the Lou Reed fanbase is all about Berlin. I am not a true Lou Reed fan (well, I have listened to the three records that have been mention so far, all the Velvet Underground records, and the Raven because I was a huge Antony fan) but that is what my guess would be.

Here is a good example of Tom Waits boogey-man syndrome for those who would like to know:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9mhsW5aWJM

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
AlternativeUlster said:
Man, I wonder what Lou Reed record it could be. Most people who aren't way into Lou Reed would pick Transformer but it seems like alot of the Lou Reed fanbase is all about Berlin. I am not a true Lou Reed fan (well, I have listened to the three records that have been mention so far, all the Velvet Underground records, and the Raven because I was a huge Antony fan) but that is what my guess would be.

Here is a good example of Tom Waits boogey-man syndrome for those who would like to know:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9mhsW5aWJM
Lou's last albums have been pretty good as well, Raven, Ecstasy, and Magic and Loss have remain as some of his better darker works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ZfLXN3c_I

AlternativeUlster

Squirrel Killer said:
Bad Religion - No Control

Have you ever listened to the Into the Unknown? It's up there with Neil Young's Trans for biggest bands "where the fuck did that come from" albums.

I wish I was asleep right now

swoon

Flynn said:
Truth is, though, that much of historic blues output was recorded as singles -- particularly all that Robert Johnson stuff. It wasn't until guys like Muddy Waters in the late sixties and early seventies started cutting the blues equivalence of rock records that you started seeing these guys work in the album form. And you could argue that by then the golden age of blues was long over. These guys were getting a second chance thanks to cats that invited them to Woodstock.

blues albums came after jazz and vocal albums, but were present in the late 50's early 60's on delmark/chess before muddy waters. and if you stretch the idea of album a little bit the alan lomax recordings were collected and published pretty soon after they were recorded in the post-war era.

of course labels would collection hit sides together thematically sometimes in the big 78 albums, but that doesn't really count.

the "golden age" of blues should at least count post-war blues and r'n'b until at least electric mud which ruined everything.

my pick

f13149fh4da.jpg

as i'm guessing the complete disco won't count? anyway 8 perfect songs.

minor threat - out of step

AlternativeUlster said:
Have you ever listened to the Into the Unknown? It's up there with Neil Young's Trans for biggest bands "where the fuck did that come from" albums.
No, I haven't. When I was heavily into Bad Religion it was B.I. (Before Internet) so the limit of my knowledge was word of mouth and my local head shop/record store. I assume the usual P2P sources are going to be the only way to get it now, right?

AlternativeUlster

swoon said:
blues albums came after jazz and vocal albums, but were present in the late 50's early 60's on delmark/chess before muddy waters. and if you stretch the idea of album a little bit the alan lomax recordings were collected and published pretty soon after they were recorded in the post-war era.

of course labels would collection hit sides together thematically sometimes in the big 78 albums, but that doesn't really count.

the "golden age" of blues should at least count post-war blues and r'n'b until at least electric mud which ruined everything.

my pick

f13149fh4da.jpg

as i'm guessing the complete disco won't count? anyway 8 perfect songs.

minor threat - out of step

Oh Minor Threat. I had a friend who had like 7 cd-rs of the Complete Discography but each one was scratched beyond oblivion. This reminds me, when is the first Fugazi record going down?

AlternativeUlster

Squirrel Killer said:
No, I haven't. When I was heavily into Bad Religion it was B.I. (Before Internet) so the limit of my knowledge was word of mouth and my local head shop/record store. I assume the usual P2P sources are going to be the only way to get it now, right?

Oh yeah but no worries. Epitaph only did one issue of it on LP and swore never to press it again. It is a bizarro new wave prog record about gnomes.

Here it is if you want it:
http://bruunski.blogspot.com/2007/04/bad-religion-into-unknown-1983.html

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
AlternativeUlster said:
This reminds me, when is the first Fugazi record going down?
I've been thinking about it. I've been looking through my collection for my picks, so it's hard not to have Fugazi cross my mind when I have all of their records.

AlternativeUlster

Fugazi just never came across my mind until Swoon posted that Minor Threat album. I am still surprised by the lack of Pavement and Cocteau Twins also.

swoon

i'm surprised that like most all the classic indie rock albums are left. like everything in our band is still around which just sad.

Meliorism

I've thought about The Argument (not 13 Songs) and I've thought about Wowee Zowee (not Slanted).

But I don't know. I know for sure which album I'm grabbing tonight, unless some person that hasn't voted yet takes it before I can.

AlternativeUlster

Nihilism said:
I've thought about The Argument (not 13 Songs) and I've thought about Wowee Zowee (not Slanted).

But I don't know. I know for sure which album I'm grabbing tonight, unless some person that hasn't voted yet takes it before I can.

13 Songs is a comp anyways. Granted it is an EP comp but meh, whatever. I always liked Red Medicine the most for Fugazi and for Pavement it is usally either Crooke Rain Crooked Rain or Wowee Zowee.

AlternativeUlster

The Monks - Black Monk Time
d987136oue1.jpg

Jullian Cope of the Teardrop Explodes said:
... NO-ONE ever came up with a whole album of such dementia. The Monks' Black Monk Time is a gem born of isolation and the horrible deep-down knowledge that no-one is really listening to what your [sic] saying. And the Monks took full artistic advantage of their lucky/unlucky position as American rockers in a country that was desperate for the real thing. They wrote songs that would have been horribly mutilated by arrangers and producers had they been back in America. But there was no need for them to clean up their act, as the Beatles and others had had to do on returning home, for there were no artistic constraints in a country that liked the sound of beat music but had no idea about its lyric content (Krautrocksampler: One Head's Guide to the Great Kosmische Musik - 1968 Onwards. 3rd ed. Head Heritage, 1996. p. 7).
Song Sample: Black Monk Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOLS8NeGL4U

Shudder to Think - Pony Express Record
d126395k921.jpg

Greg Prato of Allmusic said:
Shudder to Think's major-label debut, Pony Express Record, boasted a better sound/production than past releases (courtesy of producer Ted Nicely and mixer Andy Wallace), and signaled more focused songwriting on the group's part. It was by no means a sellout, because even on earlier releases the group's ambitious songwriting was in full effect. And "focused" songwriting from Shudder to Think does not mean three-chord, predictable verse-chorus-verse compositions, either. Pony Express Record challenges the listener in many ways: stop/start riffing ("X-French Tee Shirt"), oblique lyrics ("Earthquakes Come Home"), often dramatic, Freddie Mercury-like vocals ("Gang of $"), and everything-but-the-kitchen-sink song structures ("No Rm. 9, Kentucky"). The music is consistently unpredictable, mixing jazz, metal, art rock, folk, experimental, and alternative in the band's melting pot. And all of the songs boast strong melodies, which initially draw the listener in until you realize that there's more than meets the ear. Pony Express Record also marked the studio debut of guitar whiz Nathan Larson and drummer Adam Wade (Larson became an integral member of the group, helping to write five tracks, while Wade left after the supporting tour). One of the most underrated rock records of the '90s.
Song Sample: X-French T Shirt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbGJy2EHCMQ

Aphrodite's Child - 666
d98824ys8ps.jpg

Wikipedia said:
The band began to record their crowning achievement late in 1970: a musical adaptation of the biblical Book of Revelation, entitled 666. Silver Koulouris, having finished his Greek army duty rejoined the band. However, relations between all the band members were not good at the time, and continued to worsen during the album's creation.

Essentially, 666 was Vangelis' concept, created with an outside lyricist, Costas Ferris. The music that Vangelis was creating for 666 was much more psychedelic and progressive rock oriented than anything the band had done before. This did not sit well with the other band members, who wished to continue in the pop direction that had brought them success.

By the time the double LP 666 finally came out in early 1972, and having sold over 20 million albums[1], the band had already split
Song Sample: The Four Horsemen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=selfqEH-JnY

Comus - First Utterence
f87595op4o1.jpg

Richie Unterberger of Allmusic said:
Comus' first album contains an imaginative if elusive brand of experimental folk-rock, with a tense and sometimes distressed vibe. Although there are elements of traditional British folk music, there's an edginess to the songwriting and arrangements that would be entirely alien in a Fairport Convention or Pentangle disc. At times, this straddles the border between folk-rock and the kind of songs you'd expect to be sung at a witches' brew fest, the haunting supernatural atmosphere enhanced by bursts of what sound like a theramin-like violin, hand drums, flute, oboe, ghostly female backup vocals, and detours into almost tribal rhythms. All of this might be making the album sound more attractive than it is; the songs are extremely elongated and fragmented, and the male vocals often have a grating munchkin-like quality, sometimes sounding like a wizened Marc Bolan. The lyrics are impenetrable musings, mixing pastoral scenes of nature with images of gore, torture, madness, and even rape, like particularly disturbing myths being set to music
Song Sample: Diana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9rN6YF5J_o

David Axelrod - Song of Innocence
e19068ubbno.jpg

Thom Jurek of Allmusic said:
Producer, arranger, and engineer David Axelrod made his mark with Cannonball Adderley, Lou Rawls, and the Electric Prunes. He created recording dates — both live and in the studio — with crisp innovative production, forward-looking arrangements, and killer sound effects (the Prunes' weird "Mass in F Minor" is a case in point). No one, however, expected him to make his own records. Nonetheless, in 1968 his first concept work was issued under the EMI imprint. His inspiration was Songs of Innocence, English poet William Blake's watershed collection of poems; Axelrod set seven of them to music using a bevy of studio musicians and a lot of clout at the label. Using a rock orchestra, Axelrod created a suite that blended pop, rock, jazz, theater music, and R&B that has withstood the test of time, and has been revisited and sampled by electronica pioneers such as DJ Shadow and DJ Cam. Perhaps the best known tune of this mystical mixture is the jazzed out, slow groove of "Holy Thursday," with its bluesy bop piano lines and huger than huge string section playing a vamp from a Count Basie tune. Meanwhile, the rhythm section floats a steady, swinging rhythm to the guitars and brass who answer with dramatic harmonics centered around a complex yet elegant melodic, and the guitar itself screams overhead. It's a jazz boogaloo with classical overtones. And yes, it, and the rest of the album, sound as if it would be excessive and awful. This was visionary work in 1968, and, to commit heresy, withstands the test of time better than the Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album that allegedly inspired it. Axelrod's psychedelia is implied; its compositional form and feeling that drive him to celebrate the wildness and folly of youth with celebration and verve. And as a result, the music here sounds fresh, free of cynicism and hipper-than-thou posturing, remaining new each time it is heard. Song of Innocence made critics turn their heads in its day, regarding it as a visionary curiosity piece; today it's simply a great, timeless work of pop art that continues to inspire over three decades after its initial release.
Song Sample: Holy Thursday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h04Tc-WzvUk

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Swoon, Minor Threat Complete Discography was one of the first punk albums I've ever owned, good choice, played it constantly throughout high school.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Nihilism said:
I've never heard of any of those.

Oh well.
I own a copy of Black Monk Time, but I've never heard of the other albums on that list. I've heard most of the stuff or know the band that been picked, except for Cosmic Bus' picks, that's some stuff from left field.

Fugazi: I gave them a try because Ian McKaye was in the band, it just didn't click.

I'm thinking of picking a Hip Hop albums this time or perhaps a classic 70's album....choices-choices.

AlternativeUlster said:
13 Songs is a comp anyways. Granted it is an EP comp but meh, whatever. I always liked Red Medicine the most for Fugazi and for Pavement it is usally either Crooke Rain Crooked Rain or Wowee Zowee.

I would go for In on the Kill Taker and Brighten the Corners.

I'm goin back to the 60s this round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom