• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE MUSIC DRAFT - DRAFTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
4. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

This is partial redemption for myself for not choosing DSOTM in round 1. No way that should've waited to round 3. Same with Daydream Nation.

Cohen.jpg

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Cosmic Bus said:
Round 4:

Leonard Cohen, Death of a Ladies' Man

2qicrvb.jpg

Listen to the whole damn thing here, unwashed heathens.

2 great Leonard Cohen records in one round. I am surprised a Leonard Cohen let alone 2 Leonard Cohen albums were picked up before someone got a Van Morrison record.

Eric WK

AlternativeUlster said:
2 great Leonard Cohen records in one round. I am surprised a Leonard Cohen let alone 2 Leonard Cohen albums were picked up before someone got a Van Morrison record.

Yeah, it's absurd that Astral Weeks is still available. Then again, there's a lot of stuff I can't believe hasn't been taken.

Eric WK

Nihilism said:
Confession: I don't really care for Van Morrison.

I thought everyone liked Van Morrison.

I actually enjoy Moondance quite a bit more than Astral Weeks, but it doesn't quite receive the recognition AW does.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yeah, I've never been too crazy about Morrison, either. And honestly, I like Ladies' Man for Phil Spector as much as I do for Cohen.

AlternativeUlster

Cosmic Bus said:
Yeah, I've never been too crazy about Morrison, either. And honestly, I like Ladies' Man for Phil Spector as much as I do Cohen.

My favorite Cohen record is actually Songs of Love and Hate with Ladies Man and Songs being near tied for me. I just thought that people were going to pick up Moondance or Astral Weeks first.

Eric, I too also like Moondance more than Astral Weeks.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
My pick for #4:

Let it Bleed - The Rolling Stones

With all due respect to Exile on Main Street, THIS is the seminal Stones record, IMO....

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Completely as an aside, I really love the idea of this. I've accumulated over 6000 records and cd's over the years, and it's been fabulous to dig through them daily to find choices I'd know I love but, in the procession of time, I'd not listened to in,maybe, years. LiB by the Stones incredibly, and sadly, was one of those....

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Meliorism

Wes said:
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place

I seriously thought EitS would be ignored in favor of other post-rock stuff (like my own Godspeed pick).

But man, I love that album. And my recent watch of Friday Night Lights, which I know you watch, has also helped to increase my love of the band.

muttyeah416 said:
it'd be cool if we had a lightning double pick round. maybe 7th and 8th

And I like this idea, too.

Kevtones

Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand

SUCH A TOUGH PICK after my mind had been set (someone aleady knows what that was :lol)

Bee Thousand is one of my very favorites. So much goodness.

Meliorism

I Push Fat Kids said:

SUCH A TOUGH PICK after my mind had been set (someone aleady knows what that was :lol)

That was one of the 4 I was thinking about picking tonight. I chose Can, and I'm listening to one of the other 4 I was thinking about right now.

I don't think any of you know my Last.fm.

Kevtones

Nihilism said:
That was one of the 4 I was thinking about picking tonight. I chose Can, and I'm listening to one of the other 4 I was thinking about right now.

I don't think any of you know my Last.fm.

There were 4 I was hinging on - all COMPLETELY different but all from the 90s. It was a TOUGH pick to say the least. Btw, you seem big on post-rock, have you ever checked out Talk Talk - Laughing Stock? If not, do so NOW.

Meliorism

I Push Fat Kids said:
There were 4 I was hinging on - all COMPLETELY different but all from the 90s. It was a TOUGH pick to say the least. Btw, you seem big on post-rock, have you ever checked out Talk Talk - Laughing Stock? If not, do so NOW.

Yeah, I've got it on my computer and Zune.

Haven't listened to Spirit of Eden, though.

I admit that there are a lot of albums posted in this topic that I have not ever listened to, but Laughing Stock is not one of them.

AlternativeUlster

I Push Fat Kids said:

:lol Good choice dude.

Kevtones

AlternativeUlster said:
:lol Good choice dude.

:lol I just read your reply too :lol

GBV was my actually my sixth pick but I listened to some Times New Viking on the way home from a movie just now and had this lo-fi emotional explosion.

Meliorism

I Push Fat Kids said:
:lol I just read your reply too :lol

GBV was my actually my sixth pick but I listened to some Times New Viking on the way home from a movie just now and had this lo-fi emotional explosion.

Rip It Off is so loud. As soon as I start to listen to that on Winamp, I gotta adjust my volume.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
shit shit shit did I make it?

Velvet Underground AND NICO

totally thought vox-pop picked it earlier and was pissed but then realized the VU technically have two self-titled albums.

Kevtones

Nihilism said:
Rip It Off is so loud. As soon as I start to listen to that on Winamp, I gotta adjust my volume.

Yeah, If I ever put it on my shuffle on shuffle it fucks up my ears for about a day :lol

Love the record though, and they're an awesome live act.

AlternativeUlster

Nihilism said:
I seriously thought EitS would be ignored in favor of other post-rock stuff (like my own Godspeed pick).

I was debating on whether or not to get Lift Yr Skinny Fists for that is easily my favorite Godspeed record and post-rock record even (well, there is one other that is probably tied) but I decided to only go with bands that haven't been picked so far I believe.

About the lightning quick rounds, I don't want to screw someone over because of a schedule or anything at least not in the main draft. I am certain just by looking at it now, there are still going to be massive essentials still being picked even by the 9th round. That is why I was hoping to do a fast track draft towards the end. Let's see how people feel about this.

to tek: Yeah, at one point of time I had a little over 5,000 cds and around 2,000 LPs but since I do move around a lot, I pretty much got rid of all my discs and cut my LPs down to about 100 and most of them are stuff that is worth cash or I can't find on the internet.

On my computer, I have 60gb of music, an external filled which is 60gb, and another external that has about 400gb of music on it with 100gb left. What sucks is that on the 400, some of the files are corrupt when they used to not be so I think that drive is already going out. I used to have a 250gb filled of nothing but garagepunk and old punk rock (I used to do a garagepunk radio show) but shortly after I left my show, the hard drive went out and I lose all of it, most of it I will never see again.

AlternativeUlster

Ford Prefect said:

totally thought vox-pop picked it earlier and was pissed but then realized the VU technically have two self-titled albums.

I totally knew you were going to pick this record man (well I had it narrowed down to 3) but I am glad you picked it because then I know what gem to get next round.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Eric WK said:
Television - Marquee Moon
muttyeah416 said:
I was considering these two album for my top ten, but they didn't make it, glad some one chose them.

Ford Prefect said:

Finally. This pick took way--too long. I expected AlternativeUlster to take this pick but another good choice Ford Prefect.

AlternativeUlster

Vox-Pop said:
Finally. This pick took way--too long. I expected AlternativeUlster to take this pick but another good choice Ford Prefect.

White Light / White Heat is my favorite Velvet Underground record and if I can't have what I think the best is, why should I bother with it at all is my mentality.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
AlternativeUlster said:
I totally knew you were going to pick this record man (well I had it narrowed down to 3) but I am glad you picked it because then I know what gem to get next round.
Such a fucking amazing record... I can't believe it was the third-to-last picked VU album!

muttyeah416 said:
Cohen.jpg

amazing

Since I'm drunk right now, let me tell you a story. For a long while, I thought this was the only record Leonard Cohen ever recorded, and it wouldn't have made a goddamn difference because it's so fucking good. It's like an entire career's worth of beauty and everything, and it would've been enough to cement his legacy as one of the most important songwriters of the century. So I've barely begun the rest of his discography, starting with his next one cause I like to do shit chronologically like that.

Flynn said:
I'm the opposite. It's my entire catalog on random -- best surprises that way.

Besides, I'm starting to think of the album as marketing -- it's a happy meal for music, a way to get you to make a bigger buy. Before the album people bought songs one at a time. And before that sheet music for the songs they liked. And before that you paid for music live or learned it. The album could wind up being a footnote in the history of music -- existing maybe only for a century or so compared to millions of years of human expression that (for the most part) came one song at a time.

Of course, musicians found a way to make the format artful, but that's still a bit like saying that filmmakers found a way to make commercials artful.
totally did not get that you were joking til someone pointed it out, lol (like I said, somewhat drunk). I was gonna point out how albums are like today's symphonies since they're about the same length, but whatevs. Really, I just look for something that's a complete statement by the artist, whether the artist works in albums or EPs or singles.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
AlternativeUlster said:
White Light / White Heat is my favorite Velvet Underground record and if I can't have what I think the best is, why should I bother with it at all is my mentality.
Since you posted this:
AlternativeUlster said:
I need a big classic rock record but I don't think this is the round I am going to pick it up. The classic rock record I am courting I think is safe until the 8th round even.
I just assumed you were talking about VU & Nico, I though people forgot about it.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
AlternativeUlster said:
I would've taken either, tbh, though I do prefer Nico. In fact, there's at least 5 Beach Boys albums I would gladly have taken if someone else took Pet Sounds. Fuck, Smiley Smile is the motherfucking shit... even if Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains (no matter how good they are) stick out like sore thumbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom