• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE MUSIC DRAFT - DRAFTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux

AlternativeUlster

Karma Kramer said:
meh its impossible to find good streaming songs of my picks on youtube... everything is either live or some shitty quality/music video

You could always upload them to Zshare like CosmicBus and we can stream from there.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Karma Kramer said:
meh its impossible to find good streaming songs of my picks on youtube... everything is either live or some shitty quality/music video

Just upload your own files to Zshare or something. I always have to, too.

Wes

venison crêpe
If anyone goes for my fourth pick I swear I shall retalliate with full virtual and hypothetical force.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
DataStream said:
JESSSSSSS CHHRRRIIIIIIIIST IIII LOOOOOVVEE YOOUU YESS, I DOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOO *byoooooooooooowwwwwww* *crash*

The simple truth is, most of these records if I put them on they are just playing through. Its near impossible for me to really pick a favorite song and not feel like I actually like another song more given a certain circumstance...

Long live the art of the album.
Fuck yeah, dude. I NEVER listen to individual songs. EVER.

Albums forever yo.

AlternativeUlster

I need a big classic rock record but I don't think this is the round I am going to pick it up. The classic rock record I am courting I think is safe until the 8th round even.

Flynn

Ford Prefect said:
Fuck yeah, dude. I NEVER listen to individual songs. EVER.

Albums forever yo.

I'm the opposite. It's my entire catalog on random -- best surprises that way.

Besides, I'm starting to think of the album as marketing -- it's a happy meal for music, a way to get you to make a bigger buy. Before the album people bought songs one at a time. And before that sheet music for the songs they liked. And before that you paid for music live or learned it. The album could wind up being a footnote in the history of music -- existing maybe only for a century or so compared to millions of years of human expression that (for the most part) came one song at a time.

Of course, musicians found a way to make the format artful, but that's still a bit like saying that filmmakers found a way to make commercials artful.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
AlternativeUlster said:
I need a big classic rock record but I don't think this is the round I am going to pick it up. The classic rock record I am courting I think is safe until the 8th round even.
There's one big 60's record I'm surprised no one has taken........

Flynn said:

Besides, I'm starting to think of the album as marketing -- it's a happy meal for music, a way to get you to make a bigger buy. Before the album people bought songs one at a time. And before that sheet music for the songs they liked. And before that you paid for music live or learned it. The album could wind up being a footnote in the history of music -- existing maybe only for a century or so compared to millions of years of human expression that (for the most part) came one song at a time.

Of course, musicians found a way to make the format artful, but that's still a bit like saying that filmmakers found a way to make commercials artful.

edit:

nvm I read the whole post I see its a joke now

AlternativeUlster

Vox-Pop said:
There's one big 60's record I'm surprised no one has taken........

There are four records from the 60s that I am thinking about and I think one of them is going go to be Ford's pick tonight. I am debating about picking one if it doesn't make it to the 5th round. Damn, there is one that I might consider tonight. No no, it will have to wait until tomorrow for I will feel disgraced if I didn't pick up this album tonight.

AlternativeUlster

Flynn said:

:lol This is pretty awesome by the way.

Flynn said:

This is interesting. Because this draft is about records, I've been picking artists that I've experienced through albums. I never thought about picking any Beatles records because I only listened to their records in entirety way later on in life. Mostly, I experienced the Beatles through the radio, singles, parties, etc.

AlternativeUlster

Chamber said:
I've never heard a Beatles song. True story.

Whoa there. Really? That is pretty crazy. I mean it seems like it would be just hard to ever not listen to a Beatles song like even accidentally.

Flynn

AlternativeUlster said:
:lol This is pretty awesome by the way.

Thanks! And Karma, I'm really only half joking. Why revere the packaging of music -- the album as -- as something special. When it's really the stuff inside that counts.

Have you ever seen an old album of music? The reason they're called albums in the first place? It's literally a huge bound book (about as thick as a carpet sample thing). Each thick cardboard page has a sleeve on each side for storing a single 78 rpm disk. It's like an oversized photo album full of individual songs on big wax plates.

The thing that makes albums as a whole interesting is that they are the physical embodiment of a certain period of time in an artists life. Wheras most painters will have a period where they follow a certain style, most musicians will have abrupt changes between records. In many ways this started with jazz in the 50s and was perfected in the 60s by the Beatles.

A good album is a time capsule, ordered song by song to show the thread that connects the tunes. I think its actually a rather magical thing.

Kevtones

I won't have time to update the alphabetical list :(

And I won't be ON THE DOT tonight for the voting. HOPEFULLY mine doesn't get picked :(

Anyone want to volunteer to pick mine for me?

Flynn

DataStream said:
The thing that makes albums as a whole interesting is that they are the physical embodiment of a certain period of time in an artists life. Wheras most painters will have a period where they follow a certain style, most musicians will have abrupt changes between records. In many ways this started with jazz in the 50s and was perfected in the 60s by the Beatles.

A good album is a time capsule, ordered song by song to show the thread that connects the tunes. I think its actually a rather magical thing.

That's a great perspective. Ever read Waxpoetics? They regularly do stories about the recording of certain records. A couple months back there was a story about Elvis in Memphis, which was fascinating -- Presley, essentially, squirmed from under his management for one last time to cut a record with guys from the Sun records school.

AlternativeUlster

Flynn said:
Thanks! And Karma, I'm really only half joking. Why revere the packaging of music -- the album as -- as something special. When it's really the stuff inside that counts.

Have you ever seen an old album of music? The reason they're called albums in the first place? It's literally a huge bound book (about as thick as a carpet sample thing). Each thick cardboard page has a sleeve on each side for storing a single 78 rpm disk. It's like an oversized photo album full of individual songs on big wax plates.

I have seen them before in antique stores and they are a sight to behold. Super heavy too.

My friend Dustin has a couple of old 78 blues records and just seeing them is amazing. Man, if there is a genre that is going to be overlooked during the music draft, I am sure it will be the blues. Maybe I will get a Howling Wolf record in the 10th round if everyone picks any of my other heavy hitters. Or something from Mance Lipscomb. Then again, I expect Robert Johnson – King Of The Delta Blues Singers to be eventually picked up by somebody.

AlternativeUlster

I Push Fat Kids said:
I won't have time to update the alphabetical list :(

And I won't be ON THE DOT tonight for the voting. HOPEFULLY mine doesn't get picked :(

Anyone want to volunteer to pick mine for me?

I have been updating it as we go along. 30 minutes before the start of this round, I will post it just in case people are getting lazy to go to the first post.

Flynn

AlternativeUlster said:
I have seen them before in antique stores and they are a sight to behold. Super heavy too.

My friend Dustin has a couple of old 78 blues records and just seeing them is amazing. Man, if there is a genre that is going to be overlooked during the music draft, I am sure it will be the blues. Maybe I will get a Howling Wolf record in the 10th round if everyone picks any of my other heavy hitters. Or something from Mance Lipscomb. Then again, I expect Robert Johnson – King Of The Delta Blues Singers to be eventually picked up by somebody.

Truth is, though, that much of historic blues output was recorded as singles -- particularly all that Robert Johnson stuff. It wasn't until guys like Muddy Waters in the late sixties and early seventies started cutting the blues equivalence of rock records that you started seeing these guys work in the album form. And you could argue that by then the golden age of blues was long over. These guys were getting a second chance thanks to cats that invited them to Woodstock.

Kevtones

AlternativeUlster said:
I have been updating it as we go along. 30 minutes before the start of this round, I will post it just in case people are getting lazy to go to the first post.

Cool, well if you need someone to take some of the load off, let me know. Also, check your PMs.

AlternativeUlster

Flynn said:
Truth is, though, that much of historic blues output was recorded as singles -- particularly all that Robert Johnson stuff. It wasn't until guys like Muddy Waters in the late sixties and early seventies started cutting the blues equivalence of rock records that you started seeing these guys work in the album form. And you could argue that by then the golden age of blues was long over. These guys were getting a second chance thanks to cats that invited them to Woodstock.

Oh that is true. I forgot that the King of Delta Blues is a comp anyways so no one can pick it regardless. Sigh.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
2. Soundgarden - Superunknown
3. Rush - Moving Pictures

I'll get into the more obscure greats later. I just want to burn up the big classics while they are still available.

AlternativeUlster

The Crimson Kid said:
2. Soundgarden - Superunknown
3. Rush - Moving Pictures

I'll get into the more obscure greats later. I just want to burn up the big classics while they are still available.

Alright, we have our first grunge record. OP will be updated.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
AlternativeUlster said:

It was damn near picked last night ;)

AlternativeUlster

tekumseh said:
It was damn near picked last night ;)

Crappy thing is that something like that is technically a greatest hits and singles comp even though none of it was ever on LPs so it can't be picked. Ah well.

1a54024128a06429605fd010.L.jpg

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu (1970)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom