• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE MUSIC DRAFT - DRAFTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meliorism

Part of me thought about picking Sgt. Pepper's, but I just decided to go with Abbey Road instead.

I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to make the picks I want for the rest of this draft.

swoon

the only record that really matters. my other 9 picks i'm going to have trouble accounting for.

otis redding - live at the whiskey gogo

otisreddingwhiskey.jpg

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Flynn said:
So great.

Golden Lady is on 10 girl's mixtapes that I made from 1999 to 2002. God, I was a loser. :lol

To VoxPop:
I am glad someone picked it up. I love that record to death and its rotations for me are up in the 100s for that beast.

AlternativeUlster

swoon said:
the only record that really matters. my other 9 picks i'm going to have trouble accounting for.

otis redding - live at the whiskey gogo

otisreddingwhiskey.jpg

I am sorry dude. Before the draft, we decided on no live albums unless that was supposed to just the way they recorded the album like all new songs only on this live record like MC5's Kick Out the Jams or Chestnut Station's In Your Living Room. I think maybe a Make-Up album is like that. Either that or they have more live albums than studio albums. I can't remember.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
AlternativeUlster said:
To VoxPop:
I am glad someone picked it up. I love that record to death and its rotations for me are up in the 100s for that beast.

I discovered Taking Tiger Mountain (They were playing entire albums that day) by chance on some college radio program a year ago, I fell in love automatically. I don't know how, being a big VU / Bowie fan, both of which share some musical similarities, this record escaped my ears for so long. I guess Brian Eno's ambient career kinda overshadows or is remembered more than his older work, even though it's not as good. I also have to agree, Taking Tiger Mountain > Here Come the Warm Jets.

swoon

that doesn't make any sense, and i know what those words mean. those songs were new if like you were at the show and then came home and tried to buy the single of them but couldn't because they only existed in that moment. it's just happenstance they y'know he wasn't famous until a year later when aretha had already made respect a big hit for herself and the longhairs finally saw the light. then his plane crashed and the studio cashed in, but this isn't like kicking televisions or whatever else you'd be familiar with.

AlternativeUlster

swoon said:
that doesn't make any sense, and i know what those words mean. those songs were new if like you were at the show and then came home and tried to buy the single of them but couldn't because they only existed in that moment. it's just happenstance they y'know he wasn't famous until a year later when aretha had already made respect a big hit for herself and the longhairs finally saw the light. then his plane crashed and the studio cashed in, but this isn't like kicking televisions or whatever else you'd be familiar with.

In the thread when we were coming up with the rules, we wanted people to pick albums that weren't greatest hits albums and then the topic arose of live records since they were pretty much just greatest hits live even though many times the songs were the definitive versions. How much of the songs that appeared on the record were released post-humous and not before that record? Or at least on LP form. I am going through his discog and he has a couple of LPs before that live record.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I'd like to play, if it's not too late. If it is, fuck me, I guess...:lol

Pick 1 - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco
Pick 2 - Smile by Brian Wilson

n0b

AlternativeUlster said:
In the thread when we were coming up with the rules, we wanted people to pick albums that weren't greatest hits albums and then the topic arose of live records since they were pretty much just greatest hits live even though many times the songs were the definitive versions. How much of the songs that appeared on the record were released post-humous and not before that record? Or at least on LP form. I am going through his discog and he has a couple of LPs before that live record.

I looked through and of the 10 songs there were only two that I couldn't find on an earlier record. I don't see how that can really count; its a live performance, not a new live album. For live stuff I still think that existing content should be half of the album at most.

swoon

at the time of recording only otis blue and ...sings sould ballads had come out. two songs appear from those albums. a third song, the rolling stones cover had be released as a single as well.

i though in the thread their were exceptions to the live rule for important live albums like this one, the one i'm going to pick next, cheap tricks', hendrix, live at harlem square, frampton, at leeds, some of the unplugged albums, folsom prison and like a shit ton of jazz albums.

AlternativeUlster

swoon said:
at the time of recording only otis blue and ...sings sould ballads had come out. two songs appear from those albums. a third song, the rolling stones cover had be released as a single as well.

i though in the thread their were exceptions to the live rule for important live albums like this one, the one i'm going to pick next, cheap tricks', hendrix, live at harlem square, frampton, at leeds, some of the unplugged albums, folsom prison and like a shit ton of jazz albums.

Sorry swoon. I was using this as a reference point to see what tracks were released when. Yeah, there are a bunch of important live albums but the consensus from the other thread was not to include them. Here is a great top 50 of stuff not being able to get included:

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/artic...-magazines-top-50-live-albums-of-all-time.htm

swoon

AlternativeUlster said:
Sorry swoon. I was using this as a reference point to see what tracks were released when. Yeah, there are a bunch of important live albums but the consensus from the other thread was not to include them. Here is a great top 50 of stuff not being able to get included:

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/artic...-magazines-top-50-live-albums-of-all-time.htm

are you missing a link there? show recorded early 66 most the song were released on album afterwards notably the two albums released later that year.

AlternativeUlster

Cosmic Bus said:
I was surprised Kevtones hadn't taken it (or Spirit of Eden) already.

I am sure he will get Spirit of Eden next round or the one after that if he thinks Deerhunter is going to be taken next round.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Goddamn it, Eric WK. Rumours was my next pick and I didn't think anyone else here would choose a Fleetwood album in a million years.

Karakand

Cyan said:
BioHazard and Kara are both looking pretty good.
Unlike sports fantasy I actually have thought about this a decent amount. Going to make my second round scrub out all the more painful. :lol

NameGenerated said:
I already know I probably won't pass the first round. Most people are picking shit that "everyone likes".
Yeah most of these records have been absolutely atrocious. What are they thinking?

Cosmic Bus said:
Goddamn it, Eric WK. Rumours was my next pick and I didn't think anyone else here would choose a Fleetwood album in a million years.
It was on my list. Everyone loves the Mac.

swoon

it was recorded in 66 which is the point. it wasn't released at the time because he wasn't popular enough, but that doesn't change the intention behind recording the show.

Eric WK

Cosmic Bus said:

I was surprised to see it was still available, actually.

swoon said:
it was recorded in 66 which is the point. it wasn't released at the time because he wasn't popular enough, but that doesn't change the intention behind recording the show.
I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but from what I've seen, out of ten songs, four were on studio albums released before the live set was recorded, two were on a studio album released the same year as the live set was recorded, two were covers, one was on a previously released live album, and one appears to be wholly new to the album.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Karakand said:
Yeah most of these records have been absolutely atrocious. What are they thinking
I never said they were bad, but a lot are really well known and almost universally loved. They are going to get a lot of votes.
Karakand said:
It was on my list. Everyone loves the Mac.
See.

Kevtones

Cosmic Bus said:
Round 2:

Talk Talk, Laughing Stock

15wgo3k.jpg

Still my favorite record ever. I was going to take this seventh but I'm taking a business approach to this draft, and considered ignoring because it doesn't have the notoriety/popular it deserves. It seems I might have been wrong about that though...

Also, I never thanked you for your other movie suggestions (aside from Pin). I zoned typing a thank you one day and closed the wrong window... Thanks :D

n0b

Squirrel Killer said:
I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but from what I've seen, out of ten songs, four were on studio albums released before the live set was recorded, two were on a studio album released the same year as the live set was recorded, two were covers, one was on a previously released live album, and one appears to be wholly new to the album.
That's what I found too.

* "I Can't Turn You Loose" - first recording
"Pain in My Heart" - Pain in My Heart (1964)
"Just One More Day" - The Soul Album (1966, recorded before this album)
"Mr. Pitiful" - The Great Otis Redding Sings Soul Ballads (1965)
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul (1965), also Rolling Stones (1965)
"I'm Depending On You" - I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now) [1965 single]
"Any Ole Way" - The Soul Album (1966, recorded before this album)
"These Arms of Mine" - on the album Pain in My Heart (1964)
"Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" - James Brown (1965)
"Respect" - Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul (1965)

Yes, I am bored.

AlternativeUlster

Squirrel Killer said:

Why repick another U2 album? War is their best in my opinion. Well, I like Boy a lot though too.

But yeah, I don't think we should allow it just because in the rules it says no live albums unless that was meant to be the way the songs were supposed to be released (like instead of recording them in a studio) and then if we allow this, some others might want to change their picks and then it will get messy. Pick another Otis Redding record.

Karakand

NameGenerated said:
I never said they were bad, but a lot are really well known and almost universally loved. They are going to get a lot of votes.
You called it "shit," that's a negative descriptor if there ever was one.

AU should rig the seeding so we can square off. :)

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
I love how an entire, page-spanning discussion of Eno took place and no one mentioned Another Green World (likely for fear of giving away a future pick).

Well suck it, bitches!

Brian Eno - Another Green World

Ford Prefect said:
I love how an entire, page-spanning discussion of Eno took place and no one mentioned Another Green World (likely for fear of giving away a future pick).

Well suck it, bitches!

I hate your soul.

AlternativeUlster

Ford Prefect said:

Well suck it, bitches!

:lol

AlternativeUlster

Wes said:
Second Pick:
Justice - Cross

(damn the fact these picks happen at 5am local time for me)

Sorry about that dude. I had the United States completely on my mind while this so that people on the east coast could vote right before sleeping unless they were night hawks like me and while the west coast, it would only be 8pm.

Meliorism

Yeah, someone's always bound to lose when it comes to time zones.

But eh, you're still gonna get to make some solid picks so there's not too much to sweat.

Ford Prefect said:

Well suck it, bitches!

booooooooooooooooo

AlternativeUlster

Vox-Pop said:
Oh c'mon dude, Closer was next pick and my favorite JD album. Decades has to be one of the greatest closing songs ever.

Yeah, I was in debate on whether to pick up Closer or Discovery for this round but decided the rest of my picks are pretty gloom so went with Discovery.

have you guys heard Les Bains Douches? I prefer the live versions to most of the recorded versions.

I have a feeling this next round is going to end with alot of crushed dreams.

AlternativeUlster

DataStream said:
have you guys heard Les Bains Douches? I prefer the live versions to most of the recorded versions.

I have a feeling this next round is going to end with alot of crushed dreams.

Yeah that is a great live record even though all songs weren't recorded at the Les Bains Douches.

The next round is going to be super crazy. I imagine a lot of punk, post-punk, and classic rock staples to be picked up for sure next round.

AlternativeUlster

Karakand said:
I was thinking we were gonna get our first rap stuff, myself.

edit: This is really fun, BTW. Glad I decided to play.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. We only really have had someone pick Nas and the Beastie Boys so far. I would have thought the Chronic would be picked within the first round. We did get a couple of big jazz records this round though which I didn't expect.

The drafting part was actually more fun than the tournament part when I played this on another forum. I still need to figure out a better course of action on how to pull this off perhaps.

AlternativeUlster said:
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. We only really have had someone pick Nas and the Beastie Boys so far. I would have thought the Chronic would be picked within the first round. We did get a couple of big jazz records this round though which I didn't expect.

The drafting part was actually more fun than the tournament part when I played this on another forum. I still need to figure out a better course of action on how to pull this off perhaps.
So is this going be an elimination bracket through voting? I can't wait for the arguments that will ensue with polarizing artists i.e. Oasis vs. Blur.

The drafting so far has been really fun, but I do wish it went quicker, and we should've had a randomized draft order like fantasy sports. This first come first serve mentality is pretty cutthroat, but it's not a big deal. You stole my pick with your first round GRR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom