• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

I haven't really posted since I moved away from Japan ('cause I don't see gunpla on a weekly basis, watch Gundam on TV, and visit Gundam Front, etc, anymore). I was wondering, what are the best Gundam manga? English or Japanese is okay. I always thought about picking up Thunderbolt when I saw it in the bookstores in Japan.

It's The Origin. Easy. Art is absolutely stunning. Some of the best manga art I've seen, period and it turns 0079 into the series it was always meant to be. Tweaks the pacing, adds a lot of Zeon side and back stories and just irons out of a lot Tomino's weirder choices. A+ work there.

As for others, I've heard Thudnerbolt is weird, but decent. Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz Glory of the Losers is a really good reimagining of the Wing stuff. Much much better than the original, even if it's still no where near as good as The Orgin. Crossbone is pretty good as well.

Acid08

Banned
I haven't really posted since I moved away from Japan ('cause I don't see gunpla on a weekly basis, watch Gundam on TV, and visit Gundam Front, etc, anymore). I was wondering, what are the best Gundam manga? English or Japanese is okay. I always thought about picking up Thunderbolt when I saw it in the bookstores in Japan.

Crossbone will entertain the fuck out of you. I've read all that's been translated of Thunderbolt and that's really good. Haven't started Origin yet.

Acid08

Banned
Domon's feelings for Rain were made clear super early in the series. Allenby is an expertly done plot device.

Stay losing Allenby fans.

RangerBAD

Have I mentioned recently how much I love the US opening to MSG?

Because I love it.

I remember this because I was laid up from a broken knee cap. I prefer the original though.

Was Wing really on Toonami in 2000? Seemed like it was a few years earlier. G Gundam didn't seem like 2002 either. That was the year SEED aired and I was watching the fansubs.

rrvv

11081500_636028833166055_1049443523170837895_n.jpg

Surprised we dont get regular Fenice first.

really want MG X Maoh

Wubby

I'm a bit shocked by this one...

HG Crossbone X2 will also be P-Bandai exclusive! I thought for sure since the MG's were exclusives that the HG would be regular release. More than likely this also means the X-3 whenever it comes out will also be exclusive.

I like Allenby too, but Rain's the one that goes better with Domon. Best girl bro.
Raine orgasming in Shining Gundam is one of those moments that shows Raine really does love Domon. Raine is definitely better looking, Allenby is just the better fighter and appeals to Domon's fighting spirit. I like them both though.

Enron

Banned
I remember this because I was laid up from a broken knee cap. I prefer the original though.

Was Wing really on Toonami in 2000? Seemed like it was a few years earlier. G Gundam didn't seem like 2002 either. That was the year SEED aired and I was watching the fansubs.

Yep. Gundam Wing was 99 or 2000, and then they tried to air old school 0079 after it.

Aizo

Banned
Gundam The Origin episode 1
It's all right. I have the same gripes I have with a lot of anime adaptations; it's too... anime-y. I don't like how they make Ramba act, and the fluffy cat sound effects/annoying young Artesia kinda bug me. Looking forward to the next one, though. The 3d is awkward when it's only some stuff on screen.
It's The Origin. Easy. Art is absolutely stunning. Some of the best manga art I've seen, period and it turns 0079 into the series it was always meant to be. Tweaks the pacing, adds a lot of Zeon side and back stories and just irons out of a lot Tomino's weirder choices. A+ work there.

As for others, I've heard Thudnerbolt is weird, but decent. Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz Glory of the Losers is a really good reimagining of the Wing stuff. Much much better than the original, even if it's still no where near as good as The Orgin. Crossbone is pretty good as well.
I own The Origin. It is so damn good.
Crossbone will entertain the fuck out of you. I've read all that's been translated of Thunderbolt and that's really good. Haven't started Origin yet.
I gotta get around to crossbone... should I read F91, or was seeing the movie enough to get me into Crossbone?

Gundam The Origin episode 1
It's all right. I have the same gripes I have with a lot of anime adaptations; it's too... anime-y. I don't like how they make Ramba act, and the fluffy cat sound effects/annoying young Artesia kinda bug me. Looking forward to the next one, though. The 3d is awkward when it's only some stuff on screen.

I own The Origin. It is so damn good.
I had no problem with Artesia, since I always thought she was supposed to be the more innocent Deikun, because she doesn't even remember all of that stuff in the show. I had more of a problem with Casval since he had the same brooding face on for most of the episode. Favorite character for me was Kycilia, seeing her and her inflated ego pomp about was fun. Though I get what you mean with the "anime-y" comment since I thought Dozle got a lot of those moments.

yami4ct

Had to ship my Lightning Gundam and BWS MK I a few weeks back because I ran to the end of my Private Warehouse hold limit. Got them from SAL today and built them.

The Lightning Gundam itself I love. It has so much variability and charm. It can hold pretty much any pose I want to put it into and the build is fantastically fun. The only part I dislike is it has kind of poor color separation, but I've seen worse on HGs.

The BWS, on the other hand, sort of sucks. It's thin and flimsy as hell. It adds almost nothing to the robot mode and even detracts as the shield can no longer acts as a stand. The flight mode doesn't look great either. I know the BWS MK.II is seen as a lame upgrade in the show, but seeing what that looks like compared to the one I got really shows it's a much larger upgrade than I gave it credit for. It makes the Lightning Gundam more space focused, provides a better looking flight mode than the BWS MK I and gives the rifle a nice upgrade. Overall, I can't wait to get that in my next shipment so I can throw the MK I in a drawer and forget about it.

Back in LA for a couple weeks and bought Exia Dark Matter and Kämpfer Amazing to fill out my Meijin collection. After getting home, I found 3 MGs that I partially built years ago (probably got frustrated with the Zetas, heh). Hope I have enough room in my bag to fit them all!

CA_vV2nUgAAC7-A.jpg

Ken

Oh man I still have that MG Zeta Plus C1 box.

Had to ship my Lightning Gundam and BWS MK I a few weeks back because I ran to the end of my Private Warehouse hold limit. Got them from SAL today and built them.

The Lightning Gundam itself I love. It has so much variability and charm. It can hold pretty much any pose I want to put it into and the build is fantastically fun. The only part I dislike is it has kind of poor color separation, but I've seen worse on HGs.

The BWS, on the other hand, sort of sucks. It's thin and flimsy as hell. It adds almost nothing to the robot mode and even detracts as the shield can no longer acts as a stand. The flight mode doesn't look great either. I know the BWS MK.II is seen as a lame upgrade in the show, but seeing what that looks like compared to the one I got really shows it's a much larger upgrade than I gave it credit for. It makes the Lightning Gundam more space focused, provides a better looking flight mode than the BWS MK I and gives the rifle a nice upgrade. Overall, I can't wait to get that in my next shipment so I can throw the MK I in a drawer and forget about it.

I waited weeks for Lightning and Mk II BWS to be in stock at the same time. Got them weeks ago but haven't gotten around to making them. Maybe this weekend for the last ep of GBFT!

54-46!

I just received MS ERA 0099, absolutely love it. It's a great coffee table book for anyone who likes the OYW setting.

IfIcmKz.jpg

(Not my photo)

yami4ct

Wings of Light for the HG V2 Assault Buster are Premium Bandai exclusive. Damn it Bandai! You won't get me this time, but if you ever do a MG version, I'll pay a stupid premium for that.

Gundam Reconguista in G Episode 6

Comedy keeps ruining everything but I cant keep myself from chuckling over some of the random stuff, like Bell's comment when the genius lieutenant Kilm was decapitated, or the silliness surrounding getting the cockpit back into the suit mid airfight.

I loved the water ball thing, really creative as well as the beam sabers that expand out. G-Self has some nice accessories.

Bells outfit this episode was lovely, hope he could wear that more, than their random bulky suits.

---
Is there no BD of this anime coming?!

Ken

Do you guys prefer panel lining with the new or old Gundam markers: the ones that leak out ink to fill the lines or the traditional pen types?

Acid08

Banned
Do you guys prefer panel lining with the new or old Gundam markers: the ones that leak out ink to fill the lines or the traditional pen types?

It depends on the part I'm lining but I vastly prefer the pour type markers in most situations.

Post G-Reco thoughts.

When this show was first announced something like 3 years ago, I was pretty excited. To me, Tomino IS gundam.

This series had cool things going for it. Great Mecha designs. Quality animation and fight choreography. Music was good too. The setting had potential too. But the whole thing was too as ambitious to say the least. Too many factions, with no visual cues to easily identify one another, or clear ideology. So everything just sort off seemed to happen.

Mask was a poor char clone. There was potential there, with his kuntala backstory. But it never really resonated just like a lot of stuff in the show.

Tomino shows usually are great with their pathos. This show felt oddly detached. Certainly his worst entry, but I'd still place it above some of the worst shows in the franchise.

NEO0MJ

I found this funny and this is the only place I could possibly share this...

I spent part of today going around to different bookstores looking for a manga/comic made for 9-14 year old girls. In the end I found two at different book shops (the last one they had at each shop).

What does it have to do with Gunpla...

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/03/...zines-new-issue-and-for-an-unexpected-reason/

That does look pretty cool.

Tomino shows usually are great with their pathos. This show felt oddly detached. Certainly his worst entry, but I'd still place it above some of the worst shows in the franchise.

The great mecha designs and nice action make me put it above some of my bottom ranked shows like 00 and Seed Destiny.

Turn A Gundam Ep 39:

This OP isn't Turn A Turn!!! I'm sure I'll get used to it though. Why do I get the feeling Gym just wants to rape Kihel?

Ep 40:

Gym must like toying around with people. Harry isn't that bad of a character, I've been waiting for him to go evil like most Char clones do, but here is still being a good guy.

yami4ct

Dalong's review just confirmed the panels on Double X's forearms and legs actually are gold metallic plastic and not just yellow. Really excited about that. I could have painted them anyway if they weren't, but glad Bandai went that extra mile with this kit. It was definitely up in the air there as it seemed like every other PR shot shifted between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom