• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
surrealist said:
He's still on it.
You do realize EVERY fighter is tested by the state's athletic commission... right? He's been tested in every stage of his career from High school, to college to professional football even WWE did drug tests. Guess what? All clean. Every time.

If he's some big roid head like you seem to think... he would have gotten caught. It hangs in your system.

Does he supplement? I'm sure of it... but it's LEGAL stuff.

The guy is NATURALLY big. He's a strong as hell farm boy with an insane workout routine and work ethic. Why is it so hard for people to admit someone's physically gifted?

This is a guy who does 2 things and only 2 things.. train.. and work out. That's his life now. Nothing else. Hell, that's part of why he hated WWE ... he had no time for anything else but WWE.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
if Fedor signs with the UFC he will beat Brock Lesner. Fedor is amazing. He is not a one trick pony, he is not just size. Fedor will beat Lesner.

mujun

otake said:
if Fedor signs with the UFC he will beat Brock Lesner. Fedor is amazing. He is not a one trick pony, he is not just size. Fedor will beat Lesner.

He'll also lose some of his magic because he'll finally fight more consistent competition more consistently.

Then Pride nuthuggers will have to find some new darling.

Zeke

Just saw the ppv Belcher vs. Akiyama was a real close one good fight none the less and holy shit Hendo's KO on Bisping was fuckin brutal! So glad Dan got the W over him, I can't believe Bisping kept circling to Hendo's strong side. Can't say much about GSP guys a freak and has the division by the balls. I still hate Lesnar with a passion and his post fight douchebaggery only cemented it. Mir talked loud shit during the countdown and payed big time. I'm pretty psyched about the next ppv Silva is going to wreck Griffin.
benita316 said:
As the first MMA event i've paid attention to, Brock was pretty entertaining even though i'm sure he got reamed for burying a sponsor.

However that flying elbow was disgusting and completely turned me off.

Unless that guy gets banned then I guess MMA just isn't for me.
then MMA isn't for you, that elbow was clean. Its not like Hendo Kept bashing him in face with the ref trying to pull him off.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Outcast2004 said:
You do realize EVERY fighter is tested by the state's athletic commission... right? He's been tested in every stage of his career from High school, to college to professional football even WWE did drug tests. Guess what? All clean. Every time.

Yea. Ok.

Fuzyfrog

Just saw it.

Go Brock :lol

The more smack he talks now the better.

Best part of the night was GSP's trainer telling him to use his groin to attack. I dont think ive laughed that hard at the TV in along time.

iddqd

Jacksons way of talking to his fighters is always awesome.

I also liked the fact that Hendo told his corner that Bispin "hits like a bitch".

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Mr. Sam said:

It's funny how you skipped over this part.

While a Louisville detective told TSG that the material was some kind of growth hormone, Lesnar's defense attorney, Scott Cox, characterized the confiscated pills as a "vitamin type of thing."

Outcast2004 said:

The following comment has nothing to do with Brock Lesnar:

This is a naive statement. Yes the fighters are randomly tested. That does not mean that some of them are not cycling in the time that they are not fighting. I am not trying to be cynical and say that some large number of fighters are using steroids, but it is naive to say that just because there is testing that every UFC fighter is clean.

Zeliard

prodystopian said:

This is a naive statement. Yes the fighters are randomly tested. That does not mean that some of them are not cycling in the time that they are not fighting. I am not trying to be cynical and say that some large number of fighters are using steroids, but it is naive to say that just because there is testing that every UFC fighter is clean.

I don't think there's a single person who has said that "every UFC fighter is clean". The whole point is that when you have absolutely nothing to go on, don't start name-dropping. There's no more reason at this stage to bring up Brock Lesnar and steroids in the same sentence than there is Thiago Alves, or any other guy who's big and strong for their weight class.

Brock has the size, athleticism and musculature of your typical NFL linebacker. What makes him special is that he is using all of those attributes to beat the shit out of people, which isn't very common. The reason that the heavyweight division has always been shallow in MMA is that the biggest, strongest guys go off to the NFL or somewhere that will allow them to make significantly more money (and much more consistently) than fighting. As MMA gets bigger and can afford to pay guys more and more often, that'll change, and you'll see more guys like Lesnar.

Sinatar said:

Wow... you really can't read.

The guy was EXONERATED. It was a bogus charge.

Mr. Sam said:
Also when you get big guys that are crap at football. Like Lesnar.
I wouldn't say he was "crap" at football.

He hadn't played a snap of football since high school 10 years previous. He WALKED on and got a spot on the Vikings. He didn't play at all in college, he was just that naturally gifted. If it weren't for his attitude, he would have made the team.

prodystopian said:

I'm not naive about it. Just stating a point in this one particular case. The guy has been tested quite a bit since high school at every stage of his career and every time it's come back clean. He's going to get more looks and accusations because of his freakish size. He's naturally big, has an insane work ethic and makes the most out of his physical traits. Yay for him.

Hell, I'm a bit of a natural freak myself. I'm 6' 8", 285lbs, naturally strong, etc... my dad is 5' 6" 180lbs. I just don't have the same sort insane nature to be constantly in the gym.

Mr. Sam

Outcast2004 said:
I wouldn't say he was "crap" at football.

He hadn't played a snap of football since high school 10 years previous. He WALKED on and got a spot on the Vikings. He didn't play at all in college, he was just that naturally gifted. If it weren't for his attitude, he would have made the team.

I make out as if I know anything about football. I don't. I was operating on the presumption that if he was good he would have been successful.

Mr. Sam said:
I make out as if I know anything about football. I don't. I was operating on the presumption that if he was good he would have been successful.
He was really good, but not playing for 10 years and attitude ended his run early. He at least made a Madden game!

karasu

Zeliard said:
What makes him special is that he is using all of those attributes to beat the shit out of people, which isn't very common. The reason that the heavyweight division has always been shallow in MMA is that the biggest, strongest guys go off to the NFL or somewhere that will allow them to make significantly more money (and much more consistently) than fighting. As MMA gets bigger and can afford to pay guys more and more often, that'll change, and you'll see more guys like Lesnar.

Those giant dudes with the mighty fists were all over boxing. Lennox Lewis was 6' 5" and then there are the Klitschko brothers.

As far as 'natural', ehh bullshit. No one is natural.

karasu said:
Those giant dudes with the mighty fists were all over boxing. Lennox Lewis was 6' 5" and then there are the Klitschko brothers.

As far as 'natural', ehh bullshit. No one is natural.

Even without supplements, he'd still be a naturally gifted athlete. Once again, why is it so hard for people to acknowledge that he's a great athlete?

pr0cs

Pretty good night of fights, nice to see Sexyama get the win though I could see how it could go either way, he's going to need to work on his conditioning if he hopes to move up the foodchain though.

Hendo looked great, probably his best performance in the UFC since he moved over, he looked lean, sharp and that KO was insane, I thought he killed Bisping to be honest.

GSP looked awesome and Alves gained a lot of props from that fight, I expected by RD4 or further Alves would have been gassed but he hung on to the end. Alves being so young I am scared to see how good he'll be in 2-3 years. GSP didn't seem like he wanted to move to 185 for a superfight, which I'm okay with.. he'd need too much time to bulk up leaving the 170 belt in disarray.

Lesnar is a dink, a giant asshole. But damn if he didn't tool Mir. I think Lesnar is going to enjoy playing the heel and that's fine since Ortiz is gone. People will pay to watch someone try and beat Lesnar, even just to hope he gets beat. Velasquez vs Carwin will be epic and the winner of that vs Lesnar will be really good. Carwin vs Lesnar would be nearly 600 lbs in the cage, the earth would move.. Even better when Carwin has already called Lesnar a dick for his antics with the fans.

Can't wait for 101, hope Florian beats Penn.

nightez

Banned
prodystopian said:

I heard some take designer steroids which can't be detected as of yet because they are always new ones being made. And apparently they also take masking agents which makes detection very difficult. So no drug testing is 100% infallible. But even without steroids Brock is a natural freak of nature.

Zeliard

pr0cs said:
Lesnar is a dink, a giant asshole. But damn if he didn't tool Mir. I think Lesnar is going to enjoy playing the heel and that's fine since Ortiz is gone. People will pay to watch someone try and beat Lesnar, even just to hope he gets beat. Velasquez vs Carwin will be epic and the winner of that vs Lesnar will be really good. Carwin vs Lesnar would be nearly 600 lbs in the cage, the earth would move.. Even better when Carwin has already called Lesnar a dick for his antics with the fans.

Anyone can beat anyone, but I don't know how much of a chance Cain stands vs Carwin. Carwin is a guy who hits hard, and unlike Kongo, he isn't completely useless on the ground (in fact, Carwin was a decorated college wrestler). Cain was getting hammered in that Kongo fight every single time they stood up, but Kongo's complete ineptness on the ground and insistance on clinching was the difference in that fight. It's also pretty crazy how none of Carwin's 11 fights have gone past 2:30 in the first round, even with the relative lack of competition so far (save for Gonzaga). That guy ends things quickly.

Carwin vs Brock will be good if that's what it ends up being, which I think is very likely. They're very similar fighters. The only thing is that Brock seems to have a significant quickness advantage, and Carwin's fights have been so short that we still don't fully know what he's all about. That fight would certainly tell us a lot about both fighters.

karasu

Outcast2004 said:
Even without supplements, he'd still be a naturally gifted athlete. Once again, why is it so hard for people to acknowledge that he's a great athlete?

What does that even mean? I see him as a champ who has beaten four guys, but I haven't seen anything great yet.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
karasu said:
What does that even mean? I see him as a champ who has beaten four guys, but I haven't seen anything great yet.

Is "great athlete" like a french term or something?

He was NCAA wrestling champion.
He did pro wrestling.
He's UFC heavyweight champion.
He nearly played in the NFL after not having played any football since high school.

He's a great athlete.

Borman

Im just waiting for people for people to jump on Lesnar's balls when he does lose a second fight. I can see it now "OMG CAREER OVARR". Such crap :lol

karasu

Timedog said:
Is "great athlete" like a french term or something?

He was NCAA wrestling champion.

Oh come on. That was ten years ago, nobody saw that shit. That's not what comes to my mind when someone mentions Lesnar as a competitor today. Maybe he was a kickass collegiate wrestler, but I don't know because I don't know anything about his career or the competition that he faced. Maybe he has the agility of the fucking mongoose, but I don't know because I haven't seen it.

'Great athlete' is a little nebulous, yes. Especially in the fight game. For example, Nobody is in a rush to acknowledge Matt Serra as a 'great athlete' because he was a UFC champ at some point. And I don't even know why you mention pro wrestling. It can be entertaining as fuck, but who considers Hulk Hogan a "great athlete"?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Since im a UFC ignorant... could anyone teach me about this Fedor guy ?
I could use google but we wouldnt have this conversation ^__^

karasu said:
Oh come on. That was ten years ago, nobody saw that shit. That's not what comes to my mind when someone mentions Lesnar as a competitor today. Maybe he was a kickass collegiate wrestler, but I don't know because I don't know anything about his career or the competition that he faced. Maybe he has the agility of the fucking mongoose, but I don't know because I haven't seen it.

'Great athlete' is a little nebulous, yes. Especially in the fight game. For example, Nobody is in a rush to acknowledge Matt Serra as a 'great athlete' because he was a UFC champ at some point. And I don't even know why you mention pro wrestling. It can be entertaining as fuck, but who considers Hulk Hogan a "great athlete"?

So just because YOU haven't seen his previous work, it completely negates his prowess as an athlete? His background as a collegiate wrestler SHOULD be what comes to mind... the guy's a fucking national champion! He won it in 200 and placed second in 99. That's nothing to sneeze at ad it's not something many in the UFC have accomplished. He's a 2 time all american with a record of 106-5.... that's a GREAT record.

He had the choice between the olympics and WWE's money... he took the quick money and regretted it.

You need to be an athlete to handle WWE's schedule and intense ring work. Just because it's predetermined doesn't dismiss the amount of ability it takes to actually do it at a high level without KILLING yourself or the other guy you're working with.

Before you damn someone, try to do a little research first.

bigosc2k

Banned
I still can't believe that I missed a really good UFC pay per view, if only that grill and bar would of showed the fight on the tvs outside dining area.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
EviLore said:

if Brock beat Fedor, people would be screaming it's all Brock's size advantage, and there should be a cruiserweight division. Just like people call for superheavy on boxing due to the Klenchskos and Snorlax Lewis. I do think the gap between 205 and 265 is too big, there should be a cruiserweight at 235 and move heavyweight to 280.

(seriously, Lennox was really good and skilled- but people hated his style)

Brock really has his haters, hopefully they make him rich paying to see him lose.

arstal said:
if Brock beat Fedor, people would be screaming it's all Brock's size advantage, and there should be a cruiserweight division. Just like people call for superheavy on boxing due to the Klenchskos and Snorlax Lewis. I do think the gap between 205 and 265 is too big, there should be a cruiserweight at 235 and move heavyweight to 280.

(seriously, Lennox was really good and skilled- but people hated his style)

Brock really has his haters, hopefully they make him rich paying to see him lose.
This would make sense if there was a plethora of talent inhabiting that sixty pound gap. There isn't.

Slizz

i dont understand the arguments in here anymore. the thinnest division boxing and mma is the heavyweight division. even if fedor and brock fight and either one of them wins, whose next after that? not cain velazquez hes no where near ready.

Zeliard

I can't believe Fedor is still not the consensus #1 p4p. The guy never loses (legitimately), while GSP and Silva both have legit losses on their records. The "lack of competition" argument is BS as well. He's destroyed Nogueira twice, giving him 2 of his 5 total losses. He destroyed Cro Cop when the latter was a beast (Fedor even outstruck him standing up). He has successful title defenses, and two different heavyweight championships.

Fedor should be #1 p4p until he's shown any evidence that he's even capable of losing at this stage. Nearly all of his fights are completely one-sided. The only fight that's ever been remotely close is probably that early Ricardo Arona fight, which was only Fedor's 4th MMA fight (and had those shitty Rings rules which greatly limited ground striking).

I can't dispute the "great athlete" thing after the quick as shit running knee and bull charge Lesnar did in the Herring fight. It's really easy to forget how giant the guy is when you watch on TV, and he just moves so fucking fast when he wants to.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
fedorrandlemanfinish.gif

How the hell is that legal ? He could broke the guys arm.
·____·

EDIT:Its broke or brake? Broken English FTL!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I can't dispute the "great athlete" thing after the quick as shit running knee and bull charge Lesnar did in the Herring fight. It's really easy to forget how giant the guy is when you watch on TV, and he just moves so fucking fast when he wants to.

Once Brock gets completely comfortable with MMA, that pro wrestling background is going to help him tremendously. If he can employ some of the stuff he learned in WWE into MMA as a heavyweight, he take it to the next level.

Zeke

Fersis said:
Kimura gif
·____·

any submission can seriously harm someone. Frank Mir broke Tim Sylvia's arm with an armbar. Theres no rule against using submission moves its up to fighter to tap out suffer a broken limb.

Fersis said:
fedorrandlemanfinish.gif

How the hell is that legal ? He could broke the guys arm.
·____·

That's why you tap, so your Arm/Ankle/Knee/Shoulder etc. doesn't get totally fucked.

Welcome to the world of submission's

in the grappling world we call that a "Kimura"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom