• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

Something other than cramped environments with cover and enemies that just stand up and shoot.

We've also seen impressive weapon variety, enemy variety, a unique setting, and a distinct cinematic approach.

It's easy to be reductive, but there are really interesting things about this game in my opinion.

I-hate-u

I am sold on the fact that I want to play the game, but, I don't see the reason why I would drop the full price ($70) if I was going to play a 8hr campaign a couple of times.

Unless, the SP game play time is longer. Do we know any info on that?

I don't know what to think the game looks like your typical fun weekend rental with awesome graphics. Though it could be a fun game, I will have to try it and see for myself.

FATALITY

Banned
Ok you know what? This shit is starting to piss me off. People are actively hating on this game for I don't know why. I have NEVER seen this kind of shit with any other game on Gaf that wasn't straight up shovelware level bad. The gameplay may not appear as great as other games but there is FUCKING NOTHING about this game that makes it deserve the amount of shitpost comments like this. The only other game I can think of is Ryse which got shit on for appearing to be straight up QTE exclusive gameplay.

Seriously what the fuck? Generic and unrealistic? Give me a fucking break. I'm fine with criticism but the shitposting has to stop.

revenge buahahahahahaha

There's almost zero chance of that happening. Most of this years GOTY contenders didn't break that barrier.

we shall see.

i can very easily see it doing that. all it has to do is have good characters and story. Everything else looks on point so far

actually the no MP might hold it back, dumb decision

Nibel

Until Dawn looks to be doing the same thing as 1886 with the branching QTE gameplay, except that's the whole gameplay for that game.

I agree that Until Dawn's gameplay is sparse at best, but at least it seems much more honest about itself than The Order 1886 and I thought the presented scenes this weekend were intriguing. I think there is a place for these Cage-esque games and this looks like a cool game to play with some friends in front of a single TV and deciding stuff together.

Visually this looks much better than Uncharted to me--cannot even see where people are coming from when they claim Uncharted 4 as the best looking PS4 title.

And was I missing something? I did not see any lycan battles in the gameplay video, unless people are commenting on that hand-to-hand cut scene, in which I guess the enemy is actually a lycan in human form?

During the keynote they showed the lycan thing as a seperate video after the kitchen demo to sate the crowds appetite. Try to find a cap from the stream.

Wow, I just saw the offscreen footage and it is safe to say this game literally has the best graphics of any game on any platform up to this point (including Ryse).

lindseybp

Man I hope this doesn't suck. If I remember IGN or someone got some hands on time a few weeks or months ago and they did not have flattering things to say about it.

Game4life

Banned
can't wait for this game to get 90+ on metacritic to see all that crow eaten

Almost unlikely. There are only three games that I think that remotely have a chance of crossing that barrier next year. Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and Batman Arkham Knight. In my opinion even MGS5 wont even though it will be awesome as hell. Order 1886 should count itself lucky if it gets above an 80 at metacritic considering the way it has been received by places like Gamespot and Videogamer. I will gladly eat crow if it turns out good though. I want it to be good but I just dont see it.

game looks fucking amazing. blows the shit out of uncharted 4

too bad sony isn't ignoring it and the pr campaign has been a disaster

OsirisBlack

Banned
Visually this looks much better than Uncharted to me--cannot even see where people are coming from when they claim Uncharted 4 as the best looking PS4 title.

And was I missing something? I did not see any lycan battles in the gameplay video, unless people are commenting on that hand-to-hand cut scene, in which I guess the enemy is actually a lycan in human form?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9MBIyaAC2k

Ru said its gameplay and not a cutscene.

Edited

I think this looks better as well and we werent the only ones.

Hydrargyrus

Yes, I couldn't see anything special in the gameplay. Nothing new, there's no hook and a rope, you can't hide yourself in the foliage... but come on, the game looks fun to play!!!

The graphics are certainly awesome, one of the best things I've ever seen but the gameplay doesn't looks that bad to get all this hate.

What's wrong with you guys. It's only a TPS with covers, but the gameplay it's ok. It's not the Deadly Premonition gunplay or something like that.

Did people expect this to be the greatest game of all times and seeing that they could achieve that frustrates them to the point that ended hating the game?

Shredderi

How else are we supposed to be judging it? Every damn time they show this game and there are negative comments, people say, "well, we don't have enough footage to judge", yet that is never said to the people who say that it looks great. I wonder why that is.

Exactly. We make judgements and form opinions based on what they show us. If a negative opinion formed from the footage shown to us is "premature" then so is a positive opinion. So we can't know enough to say the game will be disappointing? Then why can we say it's looking good etc. if they haven't shown enough to form a valid opinion on? It really has to go both ways. I think we can form both negative and positive opinion based on what we've seen. I'm still cautiously optimistic myself.

Game4life

Banned
game looks fucking amazing. blows the shit out of uncharted 4

too bad sony isn't ignoring it and the pr campaign has been a disaster

Surely you mean graphically because gameplay wise it is not even a contest. UC4 shits on whatever RAD has shown from a great height.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
yGbZAvb.jpg

gBGdrI8.jpg

Cu3Y48J.jpg

wQYLHzY.jpg

UbMzhB8.jpg
Godammmn

Played the demo (~25 minutes) and I have to say, I was very pleased with how the gunplay feels...the gunplay is solid, the enemy AI is surprisingly good (lots of flanking, blind firing, etc), and of course, it looks gorgeous. I didn't get a chance to play MK X, so this feels like Game of the Show for me.

Thanks for this. I'm inclined to trust impressions from people who have actually played the game vs. the vast majority of critics who haven't. How something looks vs. how it feels can sometimes be very different.

Whether or not someone likes a game is largely subjective. My visual impression is good simply because I loved Gears and am Ok with this being a beautiful, updated, spiritual Gears sequel in terms of gameplay. Assuming local co-op is done well I think its going to be a blast to play through alone and with a buddy.

A couple quick questions for u or anyone else who is in the know: 1) Are there any RPG or progression elements? 2) Is there online multi-player?

Edit: A quick scan of the thread indicates there is no MP or co-op horde mode. I'm disappointed in that decision, but its not a deal killer for me. The SP and co-op campaign looks like fun.

Smokey

xdsqwe.gif

Shame that they aren't releasing the rest of the demo to the public. I think the rest of the air ship stuff looks spectacular. Instead we get to see the inside of a kitchen.

oh boy.

Do we need to see every little thing before a game releases?

Judging by responses it seems so when it comes to this game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Goodness, I'm not talking about the demo, I'm talking about the footage they choose to show to everyone who doesn't attend events.
RaD is purposefully keeping lots of things close to their chest on this game, which I'm usually a fan of, but I think they've gone a bit overboard on it. Even just a trailer clip that shows Galahad walking down a street with NPCs for a couple seconds would go a long way. They probably want moments like that to be saved for the full game but I think it would do a lot lf good to just give a glimpse of something like that if it is in the final game.

Almost unlikely. There are only three games that I think that remotely have a chance of crossing that barrier next year. Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and Batman Arkham Knight. In my opinion even MGS5 wont even though it will be awesome as hell. Order 1886 should count itself lucky if it gets above an 80 at metacritic considering the way it has been received by places like Gamespot and Videogamer. I will gladly eat crow if it turns out good though. I want it to be good but I just dont see it.

I think Zelda and The Witcher 3 are also contenders.

OsirisBlack

Banned
And yet, they continue to show the same thing over and over again. I'll believe that these things exist when I see them myself.

Andrea is not prone to lying and is a very straight up no bullshit type of guy. They have kept a lot of this game under wraps and will be revealing more as it gets closer to release.

As far as Metacritic scores are concerned I can see this getting mid to low 80's and higher depending on how good whatever it is they are hiding is. I can see them maybe adding Horde mode as DLC later on and more than likely Multiplayer or Co Op in a sequel.

I would wager some of your team (if not all of them) will die as the story progresses which could largely fuck up co op.

Yoday

Ok you know what? This shit is starting to piss me off. People are actively hating on this game for I don't know why. I have NEVER seen this kind of shit with any other game on Gaf that wasn't straight up shovelware level bad. The gameplay may not appear as great as other games but there is FUCKING NOTHING about this game that makes it deserve the amount of shitpost comments like this. The only other game I can think of is Ryse which got shit on for appearing to be straight up QTE exclusive gameplay.

Seriously what the fuck? Generic and unrealistic? Give me a fucking break. I'm fine with criticism but the shitposting has to stop.
Sadly there are just some games that people just love to hate regardless of what the game is actually like, and this along with anything Ubisoft is among them. It's not going to change until the OT, and even that could see the same bullshit for a number of days. I don't even bother entering most threads about The Order for this reason even though I am really excited for it, as it's just not worth putting up with all of the shit posts. I came in here hoping for an improvement after what I thought was a pretty damn good looking demo, but sadly the bullshit continues. I will never understand why some people are so obsessed with talking about and bashing games they aren't interested in.

Game4life

Banned
I think Zelda and The Witcher 3 are also contenders.

Shit. Forgot Zelda was releasing next year. Yeah Zelda absolutely has a strong chance. Witcher 3 on the other hand does not have a chance I think. Something about that game screams over promising and under delivering. I hope I am wrong though.

The hate for this game seems to border on the irrational for some reason. Did someone at RAD kick a puppy on Youtube or something?

Vire

Not every little thing, just something that will make me feel inclined to purchase this game.

I feel like some studios can hold back on the goods more than others, RAD has a lot to prove with this being a new IP, the first attempt at a third person shooter for the studio, and the first AAA console release they have ever made.

Show me something that really blows me away. Usually, most studios show their most impressive work during press conferences, (the whole gaming world is watching, why wouldn't you?). RAD has yet to impress me with any of their live conference demos.

StuBurns

Banned
The MC score means nothing, moreover, people aren't saying the game will be shit, they're saying RaD have shown nothing to suggest it isn't.

Game4life

Banned
The hate for this game seems to border on the irrational for some reason. Did someone at RAD kick a puppy on Youtube or something?

People have reasonably critiqued this game as well. Lack of player agency, quick cinematic cuts to QTE sequences, too many cutscenes etc are all legitimate criticisms. Do you feel any of these complaints are bordering on the irrational?

Top Bottom