• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

People have reasonably critiqued this game as well. Lack of player agency, quick cinematic cuts to QTE sequences, too many cutscenes etc are all legitimate criticisms. Do you feel any of these complaints are bordering on the irrational?

Considering the game was designed to be a linear cinematic experience, yes.

Vire

Even if this game is the fucking business, it'll still get panned by critics for offering limited value.

It's going to be what, a 6-8 hour single player game, with no competitive multiplayer, no co-op and no additional features? It's going to be an uphill battle for this game to score well.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Buying The Order: 1886 on release day no matter what but I really wish Sony would have someone from Ready At Dawn play the 30 minute demo and post it so we can watch it. I think that would help the game a lot since it's gotten mostly positive reviews.

Then, in February, they should release a demo of the melee fight but in-game so we can also see what that's going to be like when we play the game.

Grisby

Finally, they showed some real gameplay. Looked competent and the graphics are great. Nothing too mind blowing but i hope it has some replay value.

Even if this game is the fucking business, it'll still get panned by critics for offering limited value.

It's going to be what, a 6-8 hour single player game, with no competitive multiplayer, no co-op and no additional features? It's going to be an uphill battle for this game to score well.
If a developer is coming out with a brand new AAA IP, I want to cut them some slack. I'm gonna support the dev and have a blast out of those singleplayer hours. Hopefully the sequel will have the multiplayer, like Uncharted 2 and GoW 3.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Do we need to see every little thing before a game releases?

Judging by responses it seems so when it comes to this game.

With the hate it's been getting it would help to see a bit more of it.

Shin-Ra

xdsqwe.gif

Oh snap, you're there?! Please post impressions. :D
This and the kitchen with all the copper pans and polished metals looks really striking. The weapons seem to pack a nice meaty punch too.

Wish we could get PNG's of the screenshots. Even the PS Blog screenshots have heavy artefacting.

People have reasonably critiqued this game as well. Lack of player agency, quick cinematic cuts to QTE sequences, too many cutscenes etc are all legitimate criticisms. Do you feel any of these complaints are bordering on the irrational?

I think its fine to rationally critique a game from previews since that is really all we have to go by. But how we define a legit critique vs an irrational critique is something we may have to agree to disagree on.

I don't see "too many cut scenes" as a rational critique at this stage since we don't yet know what the actual % breakdown on gameplay vs cut scenes is going to look like. RAD wouldn't be the first company to be guilty of showing spiffy looking CGI or in-game cut scenes to generate a little "oooooh look at the pretty graphics" hype. And who can blame them? Although that doesn't generally fly on GAF, the truth is most mainstream gamers are graphics whores to various degrees. Pretty graphics sells games. So, my response to this critique is take a wait and see.

The QTE complaint is legitimate if it is truly overdone, but at this point we don't know how that's going to play out in final gameplay. Ryse justifiably got destroyed for this in early impressions but the final product was much better and much more fun than many give it credit for. From what I understand, a lot of the early negative feedback helped the devs modify the gameplay. And thats why I actually think rational critiques are a good thing because that early feedback can sometimes help devs come out with a better final product.

You'll have to define "lack of player agency" since I'm not sure what you're referring to.

In any case, even if for the sake of reasoned debate I were to agree with you that all 3 of your listed critiques are legitimate, none of them individually or together justify the over-the-top hate this game seems to be getting. So far it looks like a beautiful Gears clone with some fun couch co-op. I have the Special Edition on pre-order thru Best Buy at the moment (took advantage of a price mistake to get it for $48) and so far don't see any reason to cancel it. It might not be a 10/10 and it may not be worth full price for many frugal buyers...but so far it looks like a fun game and a worthy addition to any gamer's library at a post-release discount price of $30-$40 or so. The way many people are reacting is like its shovel-ware that isn't going to be worth more than $5 in the bargain bin, which is straight ridiculous. There is nothing so far which indicates this game is going to be a "disaster", even if it doesn't live up to people's expectations.

viveks86

I'm playing the game tomorrow as the queue for this game was painfully long. But I did take a peek at the gameplay within their booth and it looked REALLY smooth. Can't wait to try it out

Purest 78

Looks great day one, I'm not sure what others are seeing. It's a cover shooter, what is the order doing wrong? Story seems good, the setting is fantastic. All shooters your goal is to shoot people, I just don't get the hate.

The IGN video was great. The game looked fantastic in that and the gun shooting along with the enemy reactions to getting hit were fantastic as well.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I think its fine to rationally critique a game from previews since that is really all we have to go by. But how we define a legit critique vs an irrational critique is something we may have to agree to disagree on.

I don't see "too many cut scenes" as a rational critique at this stage since we don't yet know what the actual % breakdown on gameplay vs cut scenes is going to look like. RAD wouldn't be the first company to be guilty of showing spiffy looking CGI or in-game cut scenes to generate a little "oooooh look at the pretty graphics" hype. And who can blame them? Although that doesn't generally fly on GAF, the truth is most mainstream gamers are graphics whores to various degrees. Pretty graphics sells games. So, my response to this critique is take a wait and see.

The QTE complaint is legitimate if it is truly overdone, but at this point we don't know how that's going to play out in final gameplay. Ryse justifiably got destroyed for this in early impressions but the final product was much better and much more fun than many give it credit for. From what I understand, a lot of the early negative feedback helped the devs modify the gameplay. And thats why I actually think rational critiques are a good thing because that early feedback can sometimes help devs come out with a better final product.

You'll have to define "lack of player agency" since I'm not sure what you're referring to.

In any case, even if for the sake of reasoned debate I were to agree with you that all 3 of your listed critiques are legitimate, none of them individually or together justify the over-the-top hate this game seems to be getting. So far it looks like a beautiful Gears clone with some fun couch co-op. I have the Special Edition on pre-order thru Best Buy at the moment (took advantage of a price mistake to get it for $48) and so far don't see any reason to cancel it. It might not be a 10/10 and it may not be worth full price for many frugal buyers...but so far it looks like a fun game and a worthy addition to any gamer's library at a post-release discount price of $30-$40 or so. The way many people are reacting is like its shovel-ware that isn't going to be worth more than $5 in the bargain bin, which is straight ridiculous. There is nothing so far which indicates this game is going to be a "disaster", even if it doesn't live up to people's expectations.

There is no Co-Op,

It's the best looking of this gen imo

I agree and thanks for the response. It does make me wonder if they will hit the wall a lot faster this gen.

Just wanted to point out this game has no co-op.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Why the do they think it's OK to change camera twice during a melee attack? It severely breaks the flow of action. They should take notes from TLoU, UC and Batman where the camera shakes and smoothly moves to accentuate the hits and the angle only changes to signify the finishing of the enemy.

Robot Pants

Yea the PSX trailer left me kinda eh and I had been previously pumped for it.

Then the ign video stuff reaffirmed what I thought. It looks great, RAD are just bad at showcasing it.

Top Bottom