• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

Vire

I feel like the problem with the previous demo was that it's essentially a tutorial "forcing" you to use the thermite gun.

The thermite gun just doesn't seem very fun to use and is horribly inaccurate. Maybe that's where a lot of the frustrations with the gunplay in the past came from.

The thermite gun just doesn't seem very fun to use and is horribly inaccurate. Maybe that's where a lot of the frustrations with the gunplay in the past came from.

You know, I would agree with that. I love the chaos and destruction that the Thermite Rifle causes, but I absolutely despised using it myself. I'm very glad to hear the positive reception to this new demo though, it's put the game back on my radar.

Hoje0308

Banned

It's not meant to be an accurate weapon though. You spray the thermite above your enemies, and then fire a flare at the rapidly settling, highly combustible cloud. It's about crowd control, not racking up headshots. And it haslooked boring because journalists seem to be some of the worst gamers out there.

Edit: Or it just isn't fun, even for the people that understand its purpose. The guy above me, for example.

Thermite Rifle is pretty much a 3-step grenade launcher, with a higher degree of inaccuracy.

You have to shoot the dust, let it settle for a bit, and shoot a flare that's somewhat slow. And depending on how the dust disperses or how the enemy moved, there's a chance to both miss or land a poor shot.

It's cool, but it lacks immediate responsiveness. And you don't necessarily get rewarded for it either due to its clunkiness. Can see why it's frustrating.

It's not meant to be an accurate weapon though. You spray the thermite above your enemies, and then fire a flare at the rapidly settling, highly combustible cloud. It's about crowd control, not racking up headshots. And it haslooked boring because journalists seem to be some of the worst gamers out there.

Edit: Or it just isn't fun, even for the people that understand its purpose. The guy above me, for example.

I knew what it was doing when playing an EGX demo (same as E3), but man when the enemies kept on respawning Call of Duty-like, and how much alt fires I had to use got really tedious. Was probably just a bad section, or that this demo has less of the thermite gun.

geordiemp

Well I replayed The Last of Us because of the great story, fun gameplay and collectibles and upgrades (New Game+). That's all it needs really.

TLOU was replay able for me because of the higher difficulty settings and removing the ability to see clickers through walls at 2 highest difficulties.

I wish more single player games did this, on a higher difficulty instead of adding bullet sponges do something that makes it harder - removing map or bullet time, restricting bullets or whatever....making AI better or adding MORE enemies...

as long as its a fun challenge.

Hope order has allot of the higher difficulty boxes checked. I am OK with SP only if I can enjoy 2 play throughs with different experience in each.

Loudninja

The Order 1886

The queue wasn't just long. It was longer than the previous day! It was so long that it wasn't even a line. It wound inside the booth, around the booth, and coiled like a snake all the way to the next hall! My indisputable, totally accurate estimate was close to 250 people! When I joined that line, still processing what that meant, one of the devs walked to us and said the wait time was expected to be 5 hours! They were planning to give out collectible playing cards to those in line so that anyone just looking for those can leave and those who really wanted to play the game can stay. But the estimate was still 5 hours. And I was standing there clueless if I should stay. Thought I'll stick around for 30 minutes and find out more. Fortunately, a LOT of people either chickened out, or left when they got the collectible cards. The 5 hour ETA became 3 hours and then 1.5 hours in a span of 1 hour. After that, nobody left, so my total wait time was 2.5 hours. The booth was modeled like a red brick chapel decorated with ancient lights, real steam rising up from steam pipes, a life size wax model of Galahad, life size thermite rifle and lightning gun - stuff people totally geeked out over. They must have spent quite a bit of money in building this elaborate set. I gradually progressed through the serpentine trail until I was next up for playing the game. Finally!

The different gameplay sections are very well detailed here, so I'll stick to my thoughts on it. Firstly, the game is a thing of beauty. After playing it, I'm certain this is what the ND devs were drooling over. The game does look better than UC4 in its current state. May be not Drake's model per se, but everything else. There is just so much post processing going on that, from a reasonable viewing distance, it is near indistinguishable from CG. Unfortunately, I couldn't appreciate it at the distance I was sitting at. I could see the pixel boundaries on the TV at that distance, so nothing was going to look really good. The game has copious amounts of film grain and at that distance, it looked pretty excessive. So I stepped away from my chair just to see how it held up from a couple of feet away. It looked exponentially better, so I didn't count that as a negative. It really is remarkable that they pulled this off. The IQ is almost flawless with nary a jaggy in sight. The 4x MSAA was working wonders and it held up at extreme close distance.

The gameplay was fun. It wasn't blowing my mind, but it was solid. The weapons packed quite a bit of punch. The cover system was pretty smart. It seemed like a hybrid between TLOU and GoW. There is a button that lets you enter soft cover mode, after which, you move in an out of cover automatically. It worked really well and felt like the character knew when I wanted to go into cover and when I just wanted to skirt around it. The health regen system is a hybrid as well. There are a certain number of hits from which you can recover by simply hiding from sight. But if you cross that threshold, you will go down on all fours. The only way then is to crawl slowly to cover and use backwater, which works like a medkit. You can easily get killed once you have been downed, so you need to crawl to the nearest cover ASAP. There is a QTE to rapidly press X to bring him back up after healing, which also works well, because the situation is tense as it is. It really added that sense of urgency.

Black sight works like bullet time (it has a limit, but I didn't get to push it) and sort of auto locks on to enemies and you flick with the analog stick. But it still gives you freedom to do head shots by aiming post lock-on. Helps conserve bullets, I suppose. From the demo it seemed like it was limited to pistols.

Speaking of bullets, I was able to down almost all enemies with 3 shots to the body with the pistol and auto rifle or 1 headshot with either. Sniper shots were all 1 shot. So they weren't really bullet spongy. Hit reactions have been vastly improved, so enemies do react to every bullet. Their collapsing animations are very believable with appropriate reactions to where they have been shot. Hats do fly off their heads if shot at.

Run and gun is possible so you can strategically use it to rush enemies and melee attack the ones that survived. Melee is super satisfying and it seemed different every single time. There must be a heck of a lot of contextual take down animations.

Throughout these 2 major sections, I was rarely ever pulled out of action, so all those concerns about "shoot, cutscene, shoot" didn't really apply here. It followed the more standard format of a longer cut scene at the end of a skirmish.

The pots and pans section in the kitchen was mighty impressive, with the physics shining quite nicely. Utensils, food, limbs flew around amidst the chaos. Enemy AI was decent. They flanked, moved from cover to cover, lobbed grenades, retreated, charged forward etc. But I didn't come across any noteworthy nuanced behavior.

I liked the cool down section where Galahad looks out from the airship deck and then just walks around, picking up your weapons of choice and talking to Percival. Combo rifle and triple barreled shotguns were my favorite. The alt fire came in handy a couple of times.

Controls were very responsive and the frame rate was smooth. I have no idea why all their videos look so choppy, especially in the combat scenes. Looks just fine while playing it.

So I'm pretty low on complaints, except a MAJOR one. The game suffered from terrible audio sync issues for ALL conversations. The animations always played out 5 to 15 seconds before the audio cut in. This was limited to conversations/commands only in both gameplay and cut scenes. Rest of the in-game sounds were fine. They better sort that out. It completely turned me off and I stopped paying attention to the conversations altogether.

The other complaint was that no Lycans made any appearance. I understand that Ru doesn't want any spoilers, but Lycan combat seems to differentiate this game quite a bit and I'd really like my hands on one of those encounters. Or even hands off would do. And no, that rushed little snippet of melee combat didn't really give me any idea how it worked. They really need to open up a little more and sell us on those mechanics.

This demo has turned me from neutral to positive. I do believe RAD has what it takes to pull off good gameplay with a great story and setting. The visual excellence is just icing on the cake. It was 1:20 PM when I finished my session. Just in time for my Project Morpheus appointment. I got lucky again.

(To be continued.. Because it's 3:20 AM and I have this thing called work on Monday)

pottuvoi

Banned
Pretty sure the current AA solution is not standard 4xMSAA anymore, they seem to have added some significant enchantments to it..
Temporal stability and general Image quality is incredible.

Spineker

Banned
I'm happy to see this game is starting to rebuild its profile. I was getting a bit worried there for Sony after the disaster that was Driveclub.

Cider

Yeah a game like Dragons Age has about 30 hours worth of storyline gameplay and another 200 hours from boring fetch quests and junk like that. Same with Skyrim and such.

Nowadays with my time constraints from life give me 10-20 hours of well built gameplay from the main game so I can move on. 20 hours will last me weeks sometimes
That's exactly how I feel too. Fetchquests are just so damn boring. They might've been fun in high school when I had nothing to do, but now with actual adult responsibilities I'd be lucky to get to play 5 hours of video games a week.
I appreciate a well built, fast paced game with an actual ending much more than "go here kill this guy pick that up go back repeat "

That's exactly how I feel too. Fetchquests are just so damn boring. They might've been fun in high school when I had nothing to do, but now with actual adult responsibilities I'd be lucky to get to play 5 hours of video games a week.
I appreciate a well built, fast paced game with an actual ending much more than "go here kill this guy pick that up go back repeat "
That's my issue with open world games, they are grossly overrated for me, most of them devolve into mindless, boring mundane activities, and narrative structure suffers.

ron_bato

Some more impressions from the demo from thesixthaxis this time, they're overall pretty positive, echoing most of the same sentiments that people have (good gunplay, great visuals, with the lone negative being the insta-fail stealth sections and how it felt 'regressive').

Visuals

The game is gorgeously detailed, as ably demonstrated by the gameplay trailer above. The section that was playable at PlayStation Experience – and at a separate event prior to the show – showed off an aerial infiltration of the airship Agamemnon, to thwart some rebel plot or another. Rappelling down the side of the balloon, the sights below are astonishing, as the alternate reality Victorian London sits in the hazy sunlight below, but there are subtle details on show like the depression of the balloon’s material beneath your feet and the way that parts of the rather ceremonial uniforms flap in motion.

The letterboxing cuts the image down to an aspect ratio more commonly associated with film, and that film-like quality is quite evident elsewhere too, such as with the subtle film grain filter and the quite superb depth of field effects. There’s also not an aliased edge in sight, with some rather impressive anti-aliasing that did quite well during action, but absolutely excelled as soon as I stopped to look at the environment around me.

Combat and weapons

At its heart, this is a third person cover-based shooter and a fairly accomplished on at that. There’s some pleasing invention to the weaponry, which is clearly far more advanced for the times than they should be. One section has you wielding a suppressed rifle, as you hunt through the scope for the tell tale signs of conspirators, but this quickly makes way for full automatic pistols and more.

Admittedly, they’re not the wackiest and most outlandish weapons you’ll see in a shooter, but a number do have a secondary fire, such as a kind of smoke-blast from an under slung shotgun or the previously revealed Thermite rifle. Though anachronistically advanced, representing the leaps and bounds that science can make during protracted periods of war, these do still feel like they’re rather raw and unrefined in the way they sound and the way they handle.

On the stealth sections

Sadly, the stealth sections in particular felt like they were taking a step back to a previous generation. Trying to sneak through an area and killing two guards could end in instant failure and being sent back to a checkpoint before, and very often as a consequence of the stealth kill button prompt. Rather than a simple press of a button when it pops up on screen, I had to time it based on a contracting circle, with success or failure resulting in one of a wide variety rather brutal kill animation. Except that there was no leeway for the player to recover from an errant button press and it would simply resulted in the guard managing to whip out a pistol and gun you down.

This really felt quite regressive to me, in relation to how far QTEs and stealth gameplay have come over the last decade, and we’ll have to see if this is merely an isolated pitfall rather than something more systemic in the final game. Certainly other aspects of the stealth segment felt more progressive and intriguing, as my decision on whether to follow a guard’s patrol route around a corner or wait for him to strike from cover saw him teleported whilst out of sight so that I wouldn’t have to wait umpteen seconds for him to wander down a corridor for my attempt at stabbing him with my ludicrously large knife.

Here's the TLDR (basically the concluding paragraph):

With more nuance throughout the rest of the game than was shown during the stealth section, The Order could be onto a winner though. In aiming for a more cinematic presentation though, they’ve naturally turned to QTEs, but the real heart of the game will surely be with the third person shooting, with some solid gunplay and inventive twists on old weaponry providing the foundations on which the story of mystical beasts, ancient warriors and rebellion can play out. Oh, and let’s not forget it looks bloody gorgeous too.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/12/08/how-the-order-1886s-airship-infiltration-mixes-old-with-new/

Loudninja

Some more impressions from the demo from thesixthaxis this time, they're overall pretty positive, echoing most of the same sentiments that people have (good gunplay, great visuals, with the lone negative being the insta-fail stealth sections and how it felt 'regressive').

Here's the TLDR (basically the concluding paragraph):

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/12/08/how-the-order-1886s-airship-infiltration-mixes-old-with-new/
Man I am happy to see the game in a much more positive light,I was already loving what I was seeing for awhile now.

Loudninja

did the demo allow any exploration segments? Were there any?
The Order quickly develops a rhythm hereafter, however. The zeppelin, named Agamemnon, is vast, and there's a ton of space to explore. Everything is delivered linearly -- there are no alternate routes or choices to be made -- yet I felt a true sense of exploration as I poked my head into rooms and around corners, waiting to see what was next. I especially dug some of the collectible documents strewn about the zeppelin, including a newspaper and a government document. These collectibles are wonderfully detailed and can be fully examined, front-and-back. It was cool to read a piece of the newspaper's front page, and flip over a piece of paper to see a government stamp adorning it. Little touches like these make the world of The Order feel more lived in, more realistic.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/06/psx-2014-attacking-and-crashing-a-zeppelin-in-the-order-1886

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
We keep talking about things turning around but it's like the real first showing of gameplay. Just goes to show you that people love beating annoying memes into the ground after one sticks.

We keep talking about things turning around but it's like the real first showing of gameplay. Just goes to show you that people love beating annoying memes into the ground after one sticks.

Criticism of The Order is a meme now? It's not my fault that this game has already had 3-4 presentations that have consistently failed to impress me for legitimate reasons that would be leveled at any other game. Even the impression from this latest demo aren't doing much to alleviate concerns. The talk of insta-fail stealth sections and ultra-linear level design is only further exacerbating the likelihood that this game is somewhere between David Cage games and typical cover-based shooters in terms of how much actual 'game' is there.

That's not beating an 'annoying meme' into the ground. That's looking at what you're seeing and coming to an informed conclusion.

Okay I'm back on the Order 1886 train. Hope that the exploration does yield some gameplay benefits, like TLoU where you would explore areas to find parts, supplies, story related info and keycodes for safes.

The action from the latest demo certainly looks fun. The length is another thing that I want to know.

Footos22

Pretty much. Same goes for almost anything released these days, its becoming so aggrevating

watchdog

Okay I'm back on the Order 1886 train. Hope that the exploration does yield some gameplay benefits, like TLoU where you would explore areas to find parts, supplies, story related info and keycodes for safes.

The action from the latest demo certainly looks fun. The length is another thing that I want to know.

The length of the game is a concern of mine too. I'm hoping that because it's a single player only game it'll have a fairly long campaign. Maybe around 12 hrs? Depending on difficulty.

I'm probably forgetting the answer to this or overlooking the videos demonstrating this, but does anyone know if we can vault over cover? I really hope the only option isn't to walk/run out of it. Jumping over a kitchen counter into a brutal melee or a visceral shotgun blast is a prerequisite for this game.

Has anyone seen if we can do this? Please say yes.

Everything else looks awesome. Day one, but I hope they are including this gameplay mechanic.

Edit: Going back and seeing the kitchen counters and how there's little overhead room, I'm sure these snippets of gameplay don't have something like this as room to move is a bit constricted. I hope it's possible in the more open areas. Maybe a dev can comment on this for me. Either way, as I said, I'm so hyped for it.

OsirisBlack

Banned
There are two demos. A short one and an extended one. I was at the front of the line when I overheard someone ask how long the demo was. One of the guys at the booth answered thirty minutes, but that the "lucky" ones get to play a 45-minute version. It might be randomized when they boot up the demo.

Unfortunately, I played the shortened version where you start on the second floor of a room.

The graphics are great. Everything looks cohesive, the body and facial animations are well done, and the IQ is superb. The weapon effects from smoke, dust, and debris are fantastic. Material surfaces look amazing and the reflections appear subtle and realistic.

Movement and aiming feels weighty. I'd say it's a cross between TLOU and Gears. The recoil, weapon sounds, and enemy hit reactions makes the shooting feel extremely satisfying. Enemies go down with just the right amount of bullets. They didn't feel too long or too short to take out.

It doesn't present any amazing innovations in the third-person genre, but Ready at Dawn, for me, have always been masters of refinement. The mechanics aren't original, but they're tried and true and feel great.

Well that explains why the demo I played was longer. Also TLOU x Gears was exactly how I worded it also. So glad I am not the only one who felt like that, the game just felt really good. I didn't touch on this last night but the sound direction and score are absolutely amazing.

Edited to add:
Seems everyone is getting a TLOU/Gears vibe reading the other impressions.

It's mindblowing how smooth the game looks despite only being 30fps. Watching from 8-10 feet away, the game almost looks 60fps at times.

Agreed I didn't quite understand why it felt so smooth.

I agree but they didn't do themselves any favors toting that ancient build demo around. Also there seemed to be something else attached to all the hate this game was getting.

Criticism of The Order is a meme now?
Yes. The constant repetition of inane shit like "dat cinematic feel" and "non-game" in The Order threads is basically a meme.

It's not my fault that this game has already had 3-4 presentations that have consistently failed to impress me for legitimate reasons that would be leveled at any other game.
No, it's not your fault. They've definitely made mistakes. However, many made what seemed to be permanent judgements based on little to no info, which is a bit foolish. They hyperbolized what they saw to the point of inaccuracy. More on this in a bit.
Even the impression from this latest demo aren't doing much to alleviate concerns.
That's too bad. Maybe this game isn't for you, or maybe you should just wait for reviews before purchasing. These things can happen.
The talk of insta-fail stealth sections and ultra-linear level design is only further exacerbating the likelihood that this game is somewhere between David Cage games and typical cover-based shooters in terms of how much actual 'game' is there.
And here's where that hyperbole filled bullshit rears its ugly head. A few minor stealth sections means the game is not likely to have much actual game? Give me a goddamn break. This is why people question your intentions, why they think you're a concern troll. It comes off as false and ridiculous, man.

That's not beating an 'annoying meme' into the ground. That's looking at what you're seeing and coming to an informed conclusion.
If that's your "informed" conclusion, it might be best to wait until you get more information.
Replies in bold.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Thanks for replying (not that I share every sentiment). I'm on mobile. The constant Meming and twisting everything Rad has said over the past six months has been unseemly. You can inform your opinions how you like. The "story at the top of the pyramid" freak out stuff is thought-free spewage. The reactions to this game have been extreme and I don't know why. Even the most vicious criticism of the game seems to be that the gameplay is trite and uninspired, so why the vitriol? Just foeget it and move on like I do with anime vita games.

OneLetter

I'm sitting at the Vegas airport, waiting to fly back to the studio, so I'll make this brief (apologies for typos) and come back to answer more questions later.

Above all, thank you to everyone that came to our booth and waited to play. I've only made it through a handful of pages in this thread so far, but it's a great pick me up to read your impressions, especially at 6am in the airport. Thank you also to every fan that spoke with me directly, both before and after playing the demo. Getting to hear more specific feedback is always a great thing.

With regard to the two demos, it was totally random what you landed on. We had hoped to allow more fans to play the long version, but with the line as long as it was, our goal was to get as many people into the booth to play, so the majority had the short demo. Consider this your Vegas moment in our booth, and if you got the long demo, maybe it's a sign to try your new found luck at the tables. ;)

I had a fantastic time at PSX, and I hope all of you did as well. I'd love to see Sony do this again next year. Now I need to get myself one of the PS4 covers with our art on it...

I've always been extremely excited for The Order since it was first revealed. The look and style the game has is just beautiful. Absolutely breathtaking at times. While sure it might be a more conventional third person cover bases shooter, the ideas behind the look and feel of the story just seem extremely top tier. Seeing this new demo just makes me realize that I'm even more excited for this and really my ongoing thoughts for the game seem grounded and the wait for February is a tough one. This releasing on my birthday month is just making me drool and I have the bigger collectors version on reserve. I'm jealous of all those that had the chance to play this, but I'm also appreciative of everyone that posted their experience at PAX. Thank you. Also thanks for RAD for putting up a longer demo and letting folks finally get a chance to sink their teeth into more of the content. Keep up the good work.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I'm sitting at the Vegas airport, waiting to fly back to the studio, so I'll make this brief (apologies for typos) and come back to answer more questions later.

Above all, thank you to everyone that came to our booth and waited to play. I've only made it through a handful of pages in this thread so far, but it's a great pick me up to read your impressions, especially at 6am in the airport. Thank you also to every fan that spoke with me directly, both before and after playing the demo. Getting to hear more specific feedback is always a great thing.

With regard to the two demos, it was totally random what you landed on. We had hoped to allow more fans to play the long version, but with the line as long as it was, our goal was to get as many people into the booth to play, so the majority had the short demo. Consider this your Vegas moment in our booth, and if you got the long demo, maybe it's a sign to try your new found luck at the tables. ;)

I had a fantastic time at PSX, and I hope all of you did as well. I'd love to see Sony do this again next year. Now I need to get myself one of the PS4 covers with our art on it...

Thanks for taking the time to post really enjoyed the demo it was my game of the show with only Drawn to Death being comparable. Cannot wait to play the game in its entirety great job to everyone over at RAD.

ced

Glad you all had a good showing and hopefully most of the nonsense stops now.

Begaria

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

youmeanlikethedruckmannmeme_zps28276df0.jpg

Doing this demo was just about the best thing possible to alleviate some of the concerns some of us had. I was really getting worried, but it sounds like you folks have something special in the works. Thanks!

An Order thread without overreacting to past quotes for the 59th time or the same demo at different expos for the 60th time are so foreign to me.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
loving the feedback on the game. exactly what i am expecting. a visual knockout and punchy weapons.

some of the weapons give me an insomniac type vibe in how their designs are exaggerated. although a bit more grounded in reality, of course.

ron_bato

Feb 20th

I had a lot of Amazon credit and a gift card a while back so I'm getting the $80 CE just for the steelbook and nothing out of pocket :D

Buying the collector's edition for the steelbook too, but also for the soundrack. Aside from the latest gameplay footage we just saw, the vidoc on the score for the order was the other piece of media that got me real hyped.

Ryuuga

Banned
Thanks for replying (not that I share every sentiment). I'm on mobile. The constant Meming and twisting everything Rad has said over the past six months has been unseemly. You can inform your opinions how you like. The "story at the top of the pyramid" freak out stuff is thought-free spewage. The reactions to this game have been extreme and I don't know why. Even the most vicious criticism of the game seems to be that the gameplay is trite and uninspired, so why the vitriol? Just foeget it and move on like I do with anime vita games.

The most harsh criticism can come from an eagerness or want to enjoy the game in the same light others do. Others that had criticism about the gameplay praised it for different reasons like the setting or characters. So it's not as if those that aren't brimming with positivity towards this game are here to bash something they'll likely never play. Hell, we have a dedicated critic in the Destiny community who plays religiously just to tell us how much he hates almost everything about it.

Top Bottom