• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam777

No need to get defensive. I just said enjoying a game is not rushing through it just to beat it. If getting a game finished as quickly as possible is your idea of enjoying a game, all the power to ya.

My enjoyment of a game isn't finishing it asap but it isn't like yours where I inspect everything.

But like I said most people will take it at face value and go from point A to B. And it isn't like they are trying finish it asap but they will just follow the objectives as they appear.

campaign duration is what is keeping me from pre-ordering it...
no multiplayer, no co-op, I need some more impression, before putting my money on that.

only graphics is not enough...

Toxi

Banned
And I'm sure once they know The Order they will shave it down to 1 hour as well. I'm saying if they rush through the game the first time to beat it as fast as possible and clock it at 5 hours, is that the length we should put the game at while others who took their time say they beat it at around 10 hours?
From my impressions, this is not a game you can exactly get lost in. Taking your time here would be based more on what difficulty you choose than how much you focus on goals.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
To be fair, i can enjoy both. And i think i play games for the same reason (being in another world), but not to escape reality. It's just fun (like some drugs).
I will say i'm not the best at competitive games though. I rather play co-op and have fun.
But when i play a single player, i'd like to look at every part of the level and see what the devs have made. How lighting reacts, how physics work and how consistent they are. Nowadays there is so much to marvel at in games. It's a shame to take it all for granted.
It's the same when you're traveling to another country. Some people sleep untill they get there. I want to see everything on the way.

You understand the 'context' though, otherwise you'd also be hung up on time. Perhaps my comment about escaping reality says more about my current reality than a general interpretation of why people play games. :)

Some people travel to distant countries and spend the whole 2 weeks laying around a pool on a sun bed!

MADNESS.

sam777

And I'm sure once they know The Order they will shave it down to 1 hour as well. I'm saying if they rush through the game the first time to beat it as fast as possible and clock it at 5 hours, is that the length we should put the game at while others who took their time say they beat it at around 10 hours?

I know hence why I said later the average time seems to be 9-10 hours on hard but you probably missed that post.

well i can spend ten hours playing through Modern Warfare 2's campaign, but it will always be known as having a four hour story.

My enjoyment of a game isn't finishing it asap but it isn't like yours where I inspect everything.

But like I said most people will take it at face value and go from point A to B. And it isn't like they are trying finish it asap but they will just follow the objectives as they appear.
Ya, I think a lot of people will. I also think a lot of people like to find all the little collectables and stuff. I hope there is a decent amount of little side things to do. I know lots of people play games like Far Cry and Dragon Age just doing the main campaign missions, then you got the people that do everything else before you even start the campaign. Lots of both types of gamers out there. A lot of people like to squeeze every bit they can out of their games, especially shorter games like The Order.

Some people travel to distant countries and spend the whole 2 weeks laying around a pool on a sun bed!

MADNESS.
Haha, that boggles my mind too. I can barely do that for half a day. When people i travel with decide to do that i'll just go for a walk with my camera.
Some people even travel to countries they've never been in, book in some resort where there are mostly people from their own country, never leave the resort and sit out their vacation just getting a tan and a belly from eating the same food they eat at home.

To each their own. But it reflects a mindset i think.

nib95

Banned
well i can spend ten hours playing through Modern Warfare 2's campaign, but it will always be known as having a four hour story.

Except Modern Warfare 2 doesn't have a 4 hour campaign. Closer to 6-7 actually. There are other Call of Duty games that have been closer to 5 hours, but this isn't one of them. Remember, so far the only confirmed GAF completion times we have for The Order are 10 hours and 14 hours. Everything else is picking apart YouTube videos with missing chapters, and with play through ignoring exposition, analysing all additional collectibles etc. I'm scratching my head as to why people would value the latter over the former. It's a very unorthodox way of judging gameplay quantity and play time.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Haha, that boggles my mind too. I can barely do that for half a day. When people i travel with decide to do that i'll just go for a walk with my camera.
Some people even travel to countries they've never been in, book in some resort where there are mostly people from their own country, never leave the resort and sit out their vacation just getting a tan and a belly from eating the same food they eat at home.

To each their own. But it reflects a mindset i think.

Ah, so you're a photographer. I used to be a keen birdwatcher but eventually realised it wasn't the birds I was looking for, it was peace.

DevilFox

Holy shit, what happened in here? Any there any legitimate impressions from people playing the game in recent posts? In guessing not.
EDIT: wtf someone is advising a dvd collection as a substitute for this game..

Welcome to The Order threads. I knew it was going to shit as soon as I've seen the YT walkthrough linked here. I hoped they put it down but it seems it will stay there and it will damage the game like a final blow after months during which wasn't possible to talk good about this game. RAD wasted their time trying to not spoiler, lol.
The comments 'm reading in the web are just sad, seems like there's no place for single player experiences anymore and it's totally useless to put effort in designing and modeling very detailed and fascinating locations or to put collectibles that are anything more than things to pick up for a trophy because people don't give a shit.

Welcome to The Order threads. I knew it was going to shit as soon as I've seen the YT walkthrough linked here. I hoped they put it down but it seems it will stay there and it will damage the game like a final blow after months during which wasn't possible to talk good about this game. RAD wasted their time trying to not spoiler, lol.
The comments 'm reading in the web are just sad, seems like there's no place for single player experiences anymore and it's totally useless to put effort in designing and modeling very detailed and fascinating locations or to put collectibles that are anything more than things to pick up for a trophy because people don't give a shit.

I agree, its really sad to see people doing this and they don't even see how much effort developers put into this. They just care about only gameplay with action (and multiplayer) all the time than everything else which is also important for a game to provide the immersion which is possible with the hardware we got this generation. These people are killing Single player games and we have to suffer with online only and F2P games as future if this trend continues.

sam777

Ya, I think a lot of people will. I also think a lot of people like to find all the little collectables and stuff. I hope there is a decent amount of little side things to do. I know lots of people play games like Far Cry and Dragon Age just doing the main campaign missions, then you got the people that do everything else before you even start the campaign. Lots of both types of gamers out there. A lot of people like to squeeze every bit they can out of their games, especially shorter games like The Order.

Yeah true, when I play COD, I do try and finish it asap but currently I am playing Tomb Raider and I search everything to find every salvagable part as possible, which takes up a lot of time.

I genuinely hope this game turns out good as I will buy it down the line just not now due to backlog.

Except Modern Warfare 2 doesn't have a 4 hour campaign. Closer to 6-7 actually. There are other Call of Duty games that have been closer to 5 hours, but this isn't one of them. Remember, so far the only confirmed GAF completion times we have for The Order are 10 hours and 14 hours. Everything else is picking apart YouTube videos with missing chapters, and with play through ignoring exposition, analysing all additional collectibles etc. I'm scratching my head as to why people would value the latter over the former. It's a very unorthodox way of judging gameplay quantity and play time.
So now it's unorthodox to trust video evidence over hearsay?

nib95

Banned
From the youtube playthrough there are 2 chapters and an epilogue missing. The rest of the chapters clock in under 5 hours.

There are 4 chapters including the epilogue missing. And so far it clocks in at 5 hours not including the collectibles and additional viewable items, or the exposition involved in looking for them.

-MD-

Chapter
is up. It's 10 minutes long.

Was referring to chapters 5 and 16. Did we get a time for chapter 5?

There are 4 chapters including the epilogue missing. And so far it clocks in at 5 hours not including the collectibles and additional viewable items, or the exposition involved in looking for them.

Only chapters 5, 16 and the epilogue are missing.

Alienous

Was referring to chapters 5 and 16. Did we get a time for chapter 5?

Only chapters 5, 16 and the epilogue are missing.

There's another playthrough. Chapter
is about
35 minutes long
. Chapter
16 is just the final boss battle, and that's uploaded, it's about 10 minutes long

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I hope the game sells gangbusters just to spite the haters.

Some people don't seem to understand that not every game can be aligned to their tastes.

I can completely understand about taste. I do believe it is a fine line tho with what gets greenlit nowadays. We could have potential classics canned to let a 5 hour motion captured QTE fest get greenlit becuase it sold loads (and traded in the next day) type affair.

I think it will sell fine tho. Deffo looks like the ps4's ryse to me from watching it. IE very cutscene heavy (look at these faces lol) short but some people will enjoy it. I liked ryse when i picked it up for cheap. Ill give the order a go one day

-MD-

There's another playthrough. Chapter
is about
35 minutes long
. Chapter
16 is just the final boss battle, and that's uploaded, it's about 10 minutes long

Ah good call, that's every chapter then. The uploader's times all add up pretty close to what he originally said in the comments.

HfMmJYT.png

I'd bet an average run with some searching and/or a higher difficulty will be 6-7 hours.

GHG

I can completely understand about taste. I do believe it is a fine line tho with what gets greenlit nowadays. We could have potential classics canned to let a 5 hour motion captured QTE fest get greenlit becuase it sold loads (and traded in the next day) type affair.

I think it will sell fine tho. Deffo looks like the ps4's ryse to me from watching it. IE very cutscene heavy (look at these faces lol) short but some people will enjoy it. I liked ryse when i picked it up for cheap. Ill give the order a go one day

I think you need to accept the following:

- Its not up to you what gets greenlit and what doesn't

- Some of the games that get greenlit you wont like

- Some of the games that you don't like will be liked/loved by other people

- People have different tastes

- Some game developers are more proficient in developing certain types of games, some of which you wont like

- A game you dislike being greenlit does not necessarily mean one less potential game that you would like.

Taking all of this into account, why are you complaining? Why not just accept this game isn't for you, it isn't what you want it to be and move on?

Tycho_b

If it takes quickest guys 5-6 hours to get through, it will take me 12-15. Which is fine to me despite no MP (which I usually skip for the past 5 years, with exception of racers and Battlefield)

Sid

Am going to play this game on normal at my regular pace,going by the above impressions it's probably going to be 5-6 hours isn't it?

Alienous

So now that you have established it took this person roughly 5 hours, what does that mean for the gaffers that said 10 plus for them? Are you saying I should Expect 5 hrs or 10 or somewhere in between?

I think you can trust the footage, which makes the game seem to be closer to a 6 hour game than a 10 hour one.

nib95

Banned
Ah good call, that's every chapter then. The uploader's times all add up pretty close to what he originally said in the comments.

HfMmJYT.png

I'd bet an average run with some searching and/or a higher difficulty will be 6-7 hours.

Based on all the times clocked in the videos, it'd be closer to 6 hours. So he undercooked his estimate somewhat. Bare in mind this is a pretty rushed play through with none of the extra stuff discussed earlier.

My guess for average play times would be 7-12 hours depending on amount of exploration, collecting and exposition, and also the difficulty level. GAF average as it stands is 11+ hours.

I think you can trust the footage, which makes the game seem to be closer to a 6 hour game than a 10 hour one.
I also trust the gaffers that gave their impressions though. If they are'nt lying thats 4 people on a gaming forum that took 10 plus. Why does their experience not count?
Im not ignoring the footage which is why I would guess 8 to 10. Ill eat crow if everybody is doing it in 6 come friday.

With that its been a slice its 430 am and way past my bed time.

hydruxo

It's not a QTE fest. Jesus.

Sometimes I think people hate on games just for the sake of it.

Give it a rest mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom