• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micerider

This thread is seriously getting out of control. What is there with the Order that some are trying so hard to shit on? I mean all criticism are fair bur we are down to incredible level of scrutiny and assumptions from people that did not play it and probably have no intention to.

Chû Totoro;152150840 said:
Maybe it's 5 hours if you skip cutscenes and 12 if you watch everything?

you cant skip them.
I am still betting on 7 hours being a typical experience on normal, longer for hard or completionist. (obviously).

bombshell

I'd probably say 9-10 on Hard on a regular run. Getting into the 12-13 is likely not accounting for pausing, afk, or some serious loitering (easter egg searching namely) and gawking time.

Or simply just enjoying the game.

I'm glad I'm of the type that always seem to take twice as long as everyone else to complete a game and that's not because I'm bad.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I'm glad I'm of the type that always seem to take twice as long as everyone else to complete a game and that's not because I'm bad.

Same here. I savour the experience. If people just want to shoot stuff then they should go play COD.

Alienous

There's a German playthrough that has
323 minutes
worth of footage from the opening to
Chapter 13's end

That's just less than
5 and a half hours, 3-4 chapters unaccounted for.

sam777

well no, how many times did the youtube guy die, and repeat the same sequence, how many times did they take a wrong turn or look around or search for extra items.

Most walkthroughs seem ridiculously fast to me at least, vs discovering it all for the first time.

for example mkfireandice dying light walkthroughs are about 7 hours. But that game is 13+ hours just doing campaign missions.

Even then though if you go in to the other thread 12 hours is still a high number and the expected time to complete this is about 9-10 on hard. Also you need to consider the cutscene to gameplay ratio, as there are a lot of cutscenes in this.

Falls under loitering/gawking lol. But that is all a part of the enjoyment, and not sure what the uproar is over with some people.

Two of them said it I believe and they both played on hard. To be fair Osiris said that we should shave off 2 hours from his time because he took a good amount of time to stop and smell the roses.

I'm gonna play on hard from the get go and I'd expect to at least get 9 hours out of it. I'm not really worried about length though personally because if the game is fun and a good experience, that's all that matters to me.
True. Portal was pretty short.

There's a German playthrough that has
323 minutes
worth of footage from the opening to
Chapter 13's end

That's just less than
5 and a half hours, 3-4 chapters unaccounted for.

I think #26 goes to the end of
14 (very brief if true), but there's no Ch. 15 title to confirm that.

sam777

Same here. I savour the experience. If people just want to shoot stuff then they should go play COD.

What on earth is "enjoying the game" suppose to mean. You two are talking as if you can't enjoy it unless you walk around and inspect every building.

People seem to get too hung up on game time, I for one never really check how long it takes me to go through game. Then I judge game and overall experience through my feelings, 10 h game could still give me more than 20 h game.

Alienous

People seem to get too hung up on game time, I for one never really check how long it takes me to go through game. Then I judge game and overall experience through my feelings, 10 h game could still give me more than 20 h game.

The cutscene-downtime-gameplay ratio isn't looking too sharp, tbh.

nib95

Banned
you cant skip them.
I am still betting on 7 hours being a typical experience on normal, longer for hard or completionist. (obviously).

My money is on 9-10 hours being the average, if the only confirmed times we have so far are 10 and 14 hours. There will always be those who finish it much quicker though, after all you can complete Uncharted and Gears of War in just an hour and an hour and a half respectively.

barit

Probably looking for the collectibles and easter eggs on top of playing on Hard.

I can bust through REmake in easily under 5 hours, but also spend nearly if not over triple that as well depending on how I play. Same goes for things like Uncharted, The Evil Within, and TLOU.

Well, it really depends on if you play it for the first time. Resident Evil has tons of puzzles that could take you 20h+ to complete the game without using any help. And than the game has at least double replay value (Jill/Chris) and that's for the OG, REmake has even more hidden treasures, another difficult and many customes to unlock. I really doubt that The Order has any of these things when I hear that you can easly get the Platinum in 1 or 2 days.

But this must not mean it's a bad game. Infamous:SS was very short too but I enjoyed every minute out of it.

You've got to remember in an age full of cars, getting from a to b is the main objective and strolling through the countryside to enjoy it means inspecting every tree.
Lol. I'm the type of player that will actually examine every building. Shit, I'll probably dedicate an hour to snapping screenshots of cobblestone.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Lol. I'm the type of player that will actually examine every building. Shit, I'll probably dedicate an hour to snapping screenshots of cobblestone.

I don't go as far as that. I tend to look for collectables, examine any information that the devs have placed down, marvel at the scenery to take it in and play strategically rather than go blasting my way through everything.

sam777

Fair enough but the majority of players won't be "enjoying the game" as you call it. And they will just play the game as it is getting from point A to B.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Same here.

It's great, isn't it. Here we have an alternate reality to savour and lose ourselves in. Why on earth would I want to spend all my time in this world just mindlessly shooting things? I focus on EVERY aspect of a game and find it disturbing that some just focus on how well the physics work when you shoot a guy in the face.

the neo is gonna melt when they add photomode
Thats going to be a pretty photomode OT.

I don't go as far as that. I tend to look for collectables, examine any information that the devs have placed down, marvel at the scenery to take it in and play strategically rather than go blasting my way through everything.
I play like that too. Something happened to me while playing Infamous with the photo mode though. I became addicted to snapping screenshots. Then TLoU and Driveclub. I'm glad photomode isn't available at launch as I can't help myself and it really breaks up the pacing. TLoUR took me eons to beat. I still like to look at everything. Sometimes I end up marveling at textures for way too long. I can't help it.

Fair enough but the majority of players won't be "enjoying the game" as you call it. And they will just play the game as it is getting from point A to B.
No need to get defensive. I just said enjoying a game is not rushing through it just to beat it. If getting a game finished as quickly as possible is your idea of enjoying a game, all the power to ya.

Alienous

It's great, isn't it. Here we have an alternate reality to savour and lose ourselves in. Why on earth would I want to spend all my time in this world just mindlessly shooting things? I focus on EVERY aspect of a game and find it disturbing that some just focus on how well the physics work when you shoot a guy in the face.

Playing a game and passively taking in the details, perhaps stopping once in a while to really look closely at something, is probably the most valid way you play the game. Stopping every 10 seconds to admire a texture is quite a bit less valid, IMO.

The game wasn't created to be experienced like that, just as it wasn't created for the player to pan their camera at the ground and look at nothing else other than what they have to shoot for the whole experience.

nib95

Banned

Why would they do that? Id imagine most will take their time with the game, collecting and viewing most of the additional different items and trinkets etc. In fact, out of the 10 or so different streams and play through I've seen snippets of, only a couple didn't play it like that. Pretty sure one of the guys who isn't reading or looking at all the stuff etc is making a point of getting through it pretty fast.

You have beautifully designed little additions to examine and read, that give you a better idea of the world around you, the political situation and that add to the narrative. It wouldn't make sense to ignore them if you're invested in the story, especially when the game is so story focused.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Thats going to be a pretty photomode OT.

I play like that too. Something happened to me while playing Infamous with the photo mode though. I became addicted to snapping screenshots. Then TLoU and Driveclub. I'm glad photomode isn't available at launch as I can't help myself and it really breaks up the pacing. TLoUR took me eons to beat. I still like to look at everything. Sometimes I end up marveling at textures for way too long. I can't help it.

I make a point of avoiding photo mode (or grabbing screenshots) until I've finished a game at least once. When I watch films with my son, he tends to be hitting the space bar every five minutes to discuss that particular part of the film. Whilst I appreciate that he's getting a lot from the film, it still drives me fuckin' nuts.

Yeah i can't stand the "i beat Zelda in 12 hours" threads. Beat? Jesus, it's not a race.
I love messing witj the physics too.
I'll shoot at anything just to see how it reacts and sounds :p

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Playing a game and passively taking in the details, perhaps stopping once in a while to really look closely at something, is probably the most valid way you play the game. Stopping every 10 seconds to admire a texture is quite a bit less valid, IMO.

The game wasn't created to be experienced like that, just as it wasn't created for the player to pan their camera at the ground and look at nothing else other than what they have to shoot for the whole experience.

Totally agree. One is absorption, the other is anal.

Alienous

Why would they do that? Id imagine most will take their time with the game, collecting and viewing most of the different items and trinkets etc. In fact, out of the 10 or so different streams and play through I've seen snippets of, only a couple didn't play it like that. Pretty sure one of the guys who isn't reading or looking at all the stuff etc is making a point of getting through it pretty fast.

You have beautifully designed little additions to examine and read, that give you a better idea of the world around you, the political situation and that add to the narrative. It wouldn't make sense to ignore them if you're invested in the story, especially when the game is so story focused.

It really is the games' responsibility to make you care. If you think that you can bury the lore in collectables and interactable items littered around a level and expect that the average player will care you are probably misguided. There are much better, much more interesting ways of giving insight to things like the political situation of the game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah i can't stand the "i beat Zelda in 12 hours" threads. Beat? Jesus, it's not a race.
I love messing witj the physics too.
I'll shoot at anything just to see how it reacts and sounds :p

That's what has changed. It's a throwback to when games were about getting the high score in my opinion. We moved away from that into 'experiencing' an alternate reality but still that 'beat' mentality exists. Tying to win is the reason I avoid any game that puts that at the heart of its gameplay. I'm not interested in a number. This life is sometimes shit so I want to be a part of another for a while. Isn't that what it's supposed to be about? Isn't that why we watch films or read books?

Holy shit, what happened in here? Any there any legitimate impressions from people playing the game in recent posts? In guessing not.
EDIT: wtf someone is advising a dvd collection as a substitute for this game..

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
no need to insult COD. lot of people loved aw campaign. could very well end up being the same kind of fluff.
For me it was the worst CoD campaign 😔 and there was too much of a difference in cutscenes quality & gameplay

I agree with you there. I wish I wasn't so fascinated with the tiny little details but I am. I don't expect anyone else to play like that. I should be OK without photomode but once it comes, I'll spend hours trying to catch the perfect action shot. It will be fun with this game to take some brutal screens. Theres my replay value right there.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
no need to insult COD. lot of people loved aw campaign. could very well end up being the same kind of fluff.

I'm not insulting COD, I'm just suggesting an alternative for those who like to shoot stuff and climb a leader board ... Oh, and talk about guns.

I don't know if these guys are rushing through the game or doing speedruns but if we're counting those as any indication for the length of the game, here are a few other games.

Here is Tomb Raider being beat in 1 hour and 9 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UrMLnyipEE

Here is MGS being beat in 1 hour and 5 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgeVrNONuYA

And here is Gears being beat in 1 hour and 35 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnN4tjMpMew

So the one saying he or she beat it in 5 hours, I would love to know how they played it.

nib95

Banned
It really is the games' responsibility to make you care. If you think that you can bury the lore in collectables and interactable items littered around a level and expect that the average player will care you are probably misguided. There are much better, much more interesting ways of giving insight to things like the political situation of the game.

These are additional tertiary elements of interest, that help break up pacing, give gamers something else to look forward to, to give one more incentive to explore, that show off the materials and rendering engine more, and for those who want more out of their games than simple mindless a to b. They could have built the game to include all these random quirky news bites and bits of information as part of the main story, but then we'd have a narrative that was unfocused and all over the place. Imo it's much better that they included this random tertiary stuff in this manner.

Out of curiosity, what are these much better and more interesting ways to include this stuff? Id love to hear your ideas on it.

sam777

I don't know if these guys are rushing through the game or doing speedruns but if we're counting those as any indication for the length of the game, here are a few other games.

Here is Tomb Raider being beat in 1 hour and 9 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UrMLnyipEE

Here is MGS being beat in 1 hour and 5 min.
http //www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgeVrNONuYA

And here is Gears being beat in 1 hour and 35 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnN4tjMpMew

So the one saying he or she beat it in 5 hours, I would love to know how they played it.

These type of speed runs only happen when someone has beat the game so many times they know it like the back of their hand. And we both know the play through videos of The Order are first time playthroughs.

That's what has changed. It's a throwback to when games were about getting the high score in my opinion. We moved away from that into 'experiencing' an alternate reality but still that 'beat' mentality exists. Tying to win is the reason I avoid any game that puts that at the heart of its gameplay. I'm not interested in a number. This life is sometimes shit so I want to be a part of another for a while. Isn't that what it's supposed to be about? Isn't that why we watch films or read books?
To be fair, i can enjoy both. And i think i play games for the same reason (being in another world), but not to escape reality. It's just fun (like some drugs).
I will say i'm not the best at competitive games though. I rather play co-op and have fun than play competitiv mp. But i can enjoy it.
But when i play a single player, i'd like to look at every part of the level and see what the devs have made. How lighting reacts, how physics work and how consistent they are. Nowadays there is so much to marvel at in games. It's a shame to take it all for granted.
It's the same when you're traveling to another country. Some people sleep untill they get there. I want to see everything on the way.

These type of speed runs only happen when someone has beat the game so many times they know it like the back of their hand. And we both know the play through videos of The Order are first time playthroughs.

And I'm sure once they know The Order they will shave it down to 1 hour as well. I'm saying if they rush through the game the first time to beat it as fast as possible and clock it at 5 hours, is that the length we should put the game at while others who took their time say they beat it at around 10 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom