• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
A thread of screenshots of a game, and you people lose your minds that people say what they think of the screenshots shown, and then somehow accuse all the on topic posts of being 'shitposting' or 'concern trolling' .
Stating you think something looks stupid or bad or overused is not concern trolling btw, if you're going to use the term to try to shut down discussion (because that's what you're trying to achieve) at least use it right.

What makes you think the motive for criticising or giving an opinion on screenshots in a screenshot thread is 'hate'?
Someone doesn't like chromatic abberation and you dismiss their opinion as 'hating this particular game'
No, they hate CA and dissaprove of its use, learn the difference.

This forum has become so incredibly toxic over the past year or two : every single thread with any differing opinions now has multiple pages dedicated to people trying to shut down discussion in varying ways (as quoted above)
Noone can talk about anything anymore because you have these roaming cliques of posters who get personally offended when someone is not mirroring their own opinion or *gasp* dares to sully the honor of a video game

I would argue the criticism are just as obnoxious. For instance, many of the critics mostly seem to be only capable articulating the negatives, without acknowledging any positives. While proponents focus only on the positives. On the other hand, people will do the opposite with a game they have less enthusiasm for. Apriori preferences are rife, and that is fine to some degree. The problem with the internet is that people make categorical statements and don't tend to justify them in much depth.

Rafterman

Banned
In Motion the games seems to be really blurry, probably because of Motion Blur and DoF? The Film Grain doesn't help either, don't like these effects, seems to destroy the otherwise clean IQ.

That's the entire point, it's not supposed to look "clean".

Freeman

Banned
What makes you think the motive for criticising or giving an opinion on screenshots in a screenshot thread is 'hate'?
Someone doesn't like chromatic abberation and you dismiss their opinion as 'hating this particular game'

This forum has become so incredibly toxic over the past year or two : every single thread with any differing opinions now has multiple pages dedicated to people trying to shut down discussion in varying ways (as quoted above)
Noone can talk about anything anymore because you have these roaming cliques of posters who get personally offended when someone is not mirroring their own opinion or *gasp* dares to sully the honor of a video game

You need to relax.

ShogunX

A thread of screenshots of a game, and you people lose your minds that people say what they think of the screenshots shown, and then somehow accuse all the on topic posts of being 'shitposting' or 'concern trolling' .
Stating you think something looks stupid or bad or overused is not concern trolling btw, if you're going to use the term to try to shut down discussion (because that's what you're trying to achieve) at least use it right.

Sums it up absolutely perfectly.

Personally looking forward to The Order and I'm intrigued to see where the story goes but the take away from this thread is that in stills at least the game has an overload of filters and techniques that not everybody is going to like. The screens remind me of the soft look found in Alien Isolation but that game also looks great in motion.

For me the sooner chromatic aberration dies the better.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Are we sure if this still has chromatic aberration? I can't see it, even when I zoom in. It was quite pronounced before.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Was there ever a game so hated before release? What have this game done to offend people?

The only legitimate complaint of this game has been the slightly concerning hands off ratio of gameplay to cinematic IMO. Hopefully it strikes a good LoU type balance of gameplay and cinematography.

Everything else has been driveby nonsense about next gen gameplay(its a linear third person shooter) and aspect ratio.

As you can see, there isn't really much to talk about until the game actually releases

x-Lundz-x

His reasoning is sound, though.

Aren't you doing the same thing in this one post? If you don't think people are offering anything up ignore them and/or block them. If you think they're a menace maybe alert a mod and let them deal with it if they need to.

I don't see what you mean, I'm not stating that I was referring to someone earlier in the thread saying that.

Seanspeed

Banned
That would be great if someone wants to offer discussion.
"What is this 2006? Why is everything so brown" when that is clearly not the case, is shit posting and does not offer discussion.
Its offering their impression, though. People should be entitled to post their impressions, positive or negative.

Are you equally upset when somebody posts "Looks great!"? Is that also shitposting?

Are we sure if this still has chromatic aberration? I can't see it, even when I zoom in. It was quite pronounced before.
Its absolutely there. Look at the 2nd picture in the OP.

The motion blur means these screenshots are terrible looking. If you are going to provide direct feed screenshots of a game that incorporates motion blur, try and get the characters standing still.

leeh

Game looks stunning, I can understand why people would think the black bars are distracting. Hopefully you get sucked in to the game enough for it not to distract from the experience.

Also don't understand the notation of the colour palette in this game, it matches the era, the theme of the game and isn't necessarily just brown. It'd be off-putting if the game was more vibrant, as it totally doesn't match peoples ideology of that era.

In addition, I really like the use of the post effects here. I'd say the grain is too dialed up, but everything else looks amazing. After playing Ryse and it looking similar to this IQ, it'll look awesome un-compressed on the big TV.

Looking forward to the reviews. I'm expecting that it will fully deliver.

kpaadet

Its offering their impression, though. People should be entitled to post their impressions, positive or negative.

That sounds like a good way to get YouTube quality comments, can't we set the standard a little higher?

Seanspeed

Banned
That sounds like a good way to get YouTube quality comments, can't we set the standard a little higher?
Its always nice if people offer a more thorough response, but it shouldn't be mandatory or else get called a concern troll or accused of shitposting.

viveks86

This made me chuckle

domuom.png

Dinjooh

Who cares about that movie comment. I am more interested in the connection between username and avy pic. Which by the looks of it is awful :(

In my mind, DrakeNathan must be Nathan Drake's nemesis - which, supposedly is Chris Pratt? - I had hoped for something more like.. this:

u7O7uI5.jpg

Freeman

Banned
The only legitimate complaint of this game has been the slightly concerning hands off ratio of gameplay to cinematic IMO. Hopefully it strikes a good LoU type balance of gameplay and cinematography.

Everything else has been driveby nonsense about next gen gameplay(its a linear third person shooter) and aspect ratio.

As you can see, there isn't really much to talk about until the game actually releases
To me it looks like a game heavily influenced by ND with more weapon variety. How successful they are at telling a story is what will make it work or not.

WatchDogs.

But yeah, people are being silly.
Wasn't WD hate after release? I hated it after playing so can relate.

Its always nice if people offer a more thorough response, but it shouldn't be mandatory or else get called a concern troll or accused of shitposting.

I don't see how posting 10 screenshots or a bunch of gifs and nothing else isn't also shit-posting.

It hardly adds to the discussion unless it is being used to justify an accompanying post.

x-Lundz-x

Are you equally upset when somebody posts "Looks great!"? Is that also shitposting?

Intentionally offering a snarky response with the intention to get people riled up is shit posting.

In the real world, no matter the situation when you say you like something you generally are not expected to tell someone why. "This dinner was fantastic" - No one expects you to tell them why you liked it so much. It's nice if you want to but just accepted and appreciated you liked it. "Gee, what is this the 1800's, why is this dinner so tasteless" or "This dinner sucks", I would think people would want to know why you think that way other then allowing you to disparage something and just walk away.

"I really thought the dinner could have been better, and here is why....." I know it's a different example but you hopefully see my point.

Intentionally offering a snarky response with the intention to get people riled up is shit posting.

In the real world, no matter the situation when you say you like something you generally are not expected to tell someone why. "This dinner was fantastic" - No one expects you to tell them why you liked it so much. It's nice if you want to but just accepted and appreciated you liked it. "Gee, what is this the 1800's, why is this dinner so tasteless" or "This dinner sucks", I would think people would want to know why you think that way other then allowing you to disparage something and just walk away.

"I really thought the dinner could have been better, and here is why....." I know it's a different example but you hopefully see my point.

No, you can't complain about one and accept the other. That is just hypocritical.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
zeeodt.png

This shot is particularly cool to me. It shows how the cover peek works as well as the excellent explosion effects and some accompanying destruction.

DrakeNathan

Who cares about that movie comment. I am more interested in the connection between username and avy pic. Which by the looks of it is awful :(

In my mind, DrakeNathan must be Nathan Drake's nemesis - which, supposedly is Chris Pratt? - I had hoped for something more like.. this:

u7O7uI5.jpg
i like the image,kinda like to change my avatar,the username i use because Nathan Drake have been used,so that's let me be Nathan Drake's nemesis hahah

viveks86

zeeodt.png

This shot is particularly cool to me. It shows how the peak works as well as the excellent explosion effects and some accompanying destruction.

Oh yeah that looks great as well. I can only imagine what that would be like in motion. As a still, it look like a screen cap from a movie! Seems to have heavy motion blur.

MDave

If only this was a PC game, we could see what it really looks like under all the filters and motion blur, it's hiding detail that could be there or not really there.

One of many games that aren't given justice in anything but actual gameplay. Screenshots are filled with blur and grain.

I must say, my Crysis joke shots are partially justified. This game has way more CA, grain and depth of field than I really knew about. Then again, I haven't watched any direct feed gameplay before really that wasnt ultra compressed.

EDIT: Btw, no POM on those cobble stones. At least, none visible given these shots.

Cornbread78

Or, we just don't need drive by "$hit-posting" that offer nothing to the discussion. You want to debate the merits of a game and level design and the artistic direction the devs choose, by all means, have at it; that's what the forum is for....

Those posts offer nothing but hit and run comments of crap that do not help are much in discussion and that is what the complaints are about. These comments much more prevelant in threads about games that are console exclusive (PS4/XB1) it's a fact of life. That is what I was agreeing with.

But, by all means, go ahead, debate the merits of the game away...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I must say, my Crysis joke shots are partially justified. This game has way more CA, grain and depth of field than I really knew about. Then again, I haven't watched any direct feed gameplay before really that wasnt ultra compressed.

I think they adjust it depending on the scene. We've seen brighter lit, cleaner areas that weren't so heavily filtered. This is supposed to look like an oppressive atmosphere during a battle, reminds me of KZ2 a bit actually.

To your GF:
"You look beautiful babe."

"You look terrible babe"

Which one do you think warrants an explanation?

There are lots of things I do with my girlfriend that I wouldn't do with a videogame.

Even in that ridiculous scenario you have used, there are times when she might ask why I think she looks beautiful at that particular moment.

If you genuinely want proper discussion, and not just a big circle-jerk hype thread (which I think is what some of you really want) justifying why you think a game looks good isn't too much to ask.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The explosion is really what catches my eye in that shot. sooo... billowy & rich.

The explosion/fire effects have come a long way from the reveal. They looked awful in the first trailer.

I think they adjust it depending on the scene. We've seen brighter lit, cleaner areas that weren't so heavily filtered. This is supposed to look like an oppressive atmosphere during a battle, reminds me of KZ2 a bit actually.

Its totally fine as long as it doesnt get in the wqay of seeing stuff. I just found it funny because I made some crysis shots with a lot of added DOF, CA, and film grain (along with a reinhardt filmic curve) and it actually emulates this looks quite a bit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Its totally fine as long as it doesnt get in the wqay of seeing stuff. I just found it funny because I made some crysis shots with a lot of added DOF, CA, and film grain (along with a reinhardt filmic curve) and it actually emulates this looks quite a bit.

From what I've seen, it seems like the game is using the wide framing to bring your attention to necessary information. The visual composition of this game seems painstakingly thought out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom