• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcrunch

image_the_order_1886-27140-2752_0006.jpg

*20 ft away*
*pulls out sniper rifle*

Sometimes you gotta use the best tool for the job.

The job of killing innocent museum-goers.
I don't know anything about guns.

What boggles my mind is that we have a pinnacle of rendering, technology, and design - and some of you guys aren't excited?

I know a lot of people on GAF have a thing for atmosphere, story telling, and Steam Punk as a genre. This should be right up your alley.

What I don't understand is people prematurely calling the game a failure, a movie, or 5 hours long.

It's like threads to the Order suddenly dissolve into chaos where the relevance of Metacritic scores, sales numbers, and I fucking kid you not - "what defines a game" are argued for page after page.

Both sides are equally bad, and I wish people would offer context to the opinions and not just shit on a thread never to be seen again.

To be honest...

I think that what makes the game looks great are the animations and characters modelisation... but I also suspect that heavy film grain, over use of depth of field and cinematic focus hides a lot of things. Not only accounting the fact that it runs below 1080p.

But it doesnt change much. The result look stunning.

Although, criticism doesnt means something looks bad. Something can look great, yet still perfectible.

Its especially true when it comes to graphics.

Cornbread78

What boggles my mind is that we have a pinnacle of rendering, technology, and design - and some of you guys aren't excited?

I know a lot of people on GAF have a thing for atmosphere, story telling, and Steam Punk as a genre. This should be right up your alley.

What I don't understand is people prematurely calling the game a failure, a movie, or 5 hours long.

It's like threads to the Order suddenly dissolve into chaos where the relevance of Metacritic scores, sales numbers, and I fucking kid you not - "what defines a game" are argued for page after page.

Both sides are equally bad, and I wish people would offer context to the opinions and not just shit on a thread never to be seen again.

You're absolutely right, as has been mentioned earlier, it's been a constant, annoying, varying dull to sharp pain the navigate through The Order threads. I mean, it's like getting a tatoo over and over and over again, but somehow you get addicted and keep going back for more.

The game is lightning rod for attention and the tech involved and look of the game is absolutely stunning, but... it is a Sony exclusive. If it was on all platforms, you would just have the TPS haters out, or the anti-cinematic haters out for the most part, but this game man, it just cannot be celebrated regardless and you will likely see the same mixed scores when the reviews pop up by the gaming media... Just take from it what you want and enjoy it regardless of others...

MrHoot

Do you mind showing me some pre-release trailers for third person shooters you did like so we can compare them to trailers for the order so I can see what was so great about them that you could tell from the trailer itself?? Because I'm not seeing what you are saying about the order looking terrible compared to other games.

IMO, it looks better then any game ever released and has amazing shooting mechanics. If you are a fan of TPS, how could you not be excited for this?

It has shooting mechanism, that's for sure. "Amazing", I don't know, as we haven't seen it put to use other than against grunts or scripted sequences. It does feel good though, for having it tried at gamescom.

The biggest gripe that people and critics had with the game so far is not "lack of innovation", as the defenders would make it to believe. Loosely paraphrasing myself from another thread: the game doesn't seem to trust it's player to play the game at all. Plenty of sections of the game where you think you could have a modicum of control or thought process but it takes it away from you.

Looking through the binoculars, you think you have control on what to look at ? Nope, the game looks for you, there's no actual thought going on here. Identifying rebels and taking them down one by one due to the little patch missing on their shoulder. The game could let you do that yourself because it could be an interesting little section that makes you uses your smarts rather than your reflexes for once. But the game points at them for you as well.

Again, the order as a cinematic shooter looks fine but it could certainly do more in favour of trusting it's players. There's a point where I kinda get annoyed of just sitting there lookign at a screen rather than actually doing something interesting. I didn't mind Last of Us at all, heck Until Dawn looks fun even. But Order seems to favour the vision of it's own creators rather than letting the actual player do stuff like an angry collector who doesn't want the kids touching his limited edition figurine ya know ?

The good points of the Order is that it looks extremely refined and polished, and the guys sure did their artistic research for music, sound and ambiance.

I'm still withholding my final judgement, because there's still tons of interesting stuff they can do with the tech and the halfbreeds and setting and i'm willing to give them a chance, but every single leaked piece so far has been pushing on the other side for me

Dinjooh

*20 ft away*
*pulls out sniper rifle*

Sometimes you gotta use the best tool for the job.

The job of killing innocent museum-goers.
I don't know anything about guns.

You'll see why in the demo - essentially the task it to zoom in on the guards and see who has a badge on and who hasn't, to be able to determine who is rebel and who is a guard, when that is done you're supposed to take the two rebels - and you can kill off one silently on the balcony because of that sniper rifle.

Eggbok

I feel like taking a photo out of my window right now to show some how grey and brown London can look even in 2015.

Reminds me of when people were nitpicking Driveclubs shadows and rushy had to take a picture of his actual car in similar lightning to shut them up lol!

MrHoot

Granted, if i'm proven wrong when the game comes out, i'll gladly eat my shoes (or what was the saying here ?) and play the game because it does look gorgeous as fuck

And i'm a fan of dem mustaches

It has shooting mechanism, that's for sure. "Amazing", I don't know, as we haven't seen it put to use other than against grunts or scripted sequences. It does feel good though, for having it tried at gamescom.

The biggest gripe that people and critics had with the game so far is not "lack of innovation", as the defenders would make it to believe. Loosely paraphrasing myself from another thread: the game doesn't seem to trust it's player to play the game at all. Plenty of sections of the game where you think you could have a modicum of control or thought process but it takes it away from you.

Looking through the binoculars, you think you have control on what to look at ? Nope, the game looks for you, there's no actual thought going on here. Identifying rebels and taking them down one by one due to the little patch missing on their shoulder. The game could let you do that yourself because it could be an interesting little section that makes you uses your smarts rather than your reflexes for once. But the game points at them for you as well.

Again, the order as a cinematic shooter looks fine but it could certainly do more in favour of trusting it's players. There's a point where I kinda get annoyed of just sitting there lookign at a screen rather than actually doing something interesting. I didn't mind Last of Us at all, heck Until Dawn looks fun even. But Order seems to favour the vision of it's own creators rather than letting the actual player do stuff like an angry collector who doesn't want the kids touching his limited edition figurine ya know ?

The good points of the Order is that it looks extremely refined and polished, and the guys sure did their artistic research for music, sound and ambiance.

I'm still withholding my final judgement, because there's still tons of interesting stuff they can do with the tech and the halfbreeds and setting and i'm willing to give them a chance, but every single leaked piece so far has been pushing on the other side for me

This is a very valid criticism and it's refreshing to see someone back up their opinion with actual substance.

I'm confident from what I've seen that there'll be enough combat scenarios where I'm in complete control to prevent it being a problem, but I respect the fact that what you mentioned above may turn some off.

Uhh, you are in control of all the sequences you just mentioned. Its not a cutscene.

See, this is the type of criticism that's great and should be encouraged.

You don't even need to be elaborate in your criticism. But if your post sounds like it could have been lifted directly from GameFAQs, of course your going to be met with resistance.

I don't even agree with the quote.

MrHoot

"Only fans of the console/game/people interested by the game should be allowed to criticise" ?

Is that what I said? My statement goes with what I said just a bit earlier. What I find silly is when some people have so much of a preference that it's easy to predict the kind of comments they'll have in a thread of a game that is not on their preferred console. Doesn't necessarily mean their criticism isn't reasonable, but I often personally found that it's often disingenuous.

But you're right, this is not the point of the thread.

That is fair enough. I usually don't pay attention to forum status. My feeling was that sometimes there's a "If you're not with us you're against us" although I get what you mean, my apologies !

Crow, it's eat crow.

Ooooooh right

Uhh, dude you are in control of all the sequences you just mentioned. Its not a cutscene.

Oh has it changed maybe then ? At gamescom, I didn't have much control over the scoping sequence (i could move about but it didn't actually do anything. After a while the game just pointed at the thing I needed to see, I was a bit confused)

Someone in an another thread (I actually saw that now while rereading myself) told me actually they changed also the rebel segment so I dunno if RAD had some special build for preview builds that had stuff in just to move the story along. But i'm glad if they changed that

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Looks good, but i think the over one year old Ryse still looks better, Crytek power

ryse-image.jpg

I disagree with this but it may be due to personal aesthetic/period/style.

Although, The Order's materials rendering is head and shoulders above CryEngine's glossy, super clean, low budget CGI look.

The Order along with its camera lens effects just manages to look almost real.

Another league for me.

MrHoot

I would say the The Order looks way better than Ryse at least aesthetically. The art direction alone makes it stand out more.

The only game that could come close actually released now is P.T., but that game is kinda cheating as it's just one L corridor, two rooms and a staircase and that fucking spooks that gave me a heart attack

Ricky_R

SON OF A BITCH!!! Clicked on the spoiler thread thinking it was this one.

Fortunately, I realized it before getting spoiled. Dodged a bullet there :D

x-Lundz-x

See. this is how you do valid criticism and prompt discussion. Thank You.

I do see what you are saying, and I am sure the game is very linear without much thought involved but I think the actual shooting mechanics and feedback you get from them will be incredible. I have not played any of the game and you have, so your points about the binoculars and such seem pretty valid. But I don't think RAD had CRYSIS style gameplay in mind here, more of a plot device and move on type of thing.

I think the problem is that RAD simply has not shown off enough of the game so people think there might be this lack in gameplay or it's nothing but some big long cutscene with some button prompts. It's not like RAD has never made a game before and people should give them the beneft of the doubt.

I guess my point is I'm just not seeing the criticism of how dull it looks to some people. Do you like shooting things? Do you like Amazing looking visuals? Do you like a decent story? If those are a yes I really fail to see why this games looks so bad to some.

Genio88

I disagree with this but it may be due to personal aesthetic/period/style.

Although, The Order's materials rendering is head and shoulders above CryEngine's glossy, super clean, low budget CGI look.

The Order along with its camera lens effects just manages to look almost real.

Another league for me.

Yes, i think is personal, i'm not saying that The Order is bad, it's an impressive looking game, as good as Ryse, they're pretty comparable
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ryse-vs-the-order-which-has-the-best-graphics-31764941/

barit

Granted, if i'm proven wrong when the game comes out, i'll gladly eat my shoes (or what was the saying here ?) and play the game because it does look gorgeous as fuck

And i'm a fan of dem mustaches

Crows are the preferred dish around here

eating-crow.jpg

thuway

Because I'm a glutton for punishment:

1. "The game is too brown!" -

The Order: 1886 is what happens when you take Steam Punk, Horror, London, Macabre design, and a sense of urgency - put it onto a blank canvas- and craft a world out of it.

Instead of focusing on the colour, perhaps we should look at games that fell victim to the "Colour" mafia. Killzone 2 during it's Beta stage was absolutely black, brown, grey, and full of soot, rife, and the jaws of death. Upon final release and subsequent iterations in the franchise (Killzone 3/Shadow Fall), they moved far away from that color scheme and what happened was - the subliminal sense of dread, death, and paranoia was nearly elminated.

The Order is trying to frighten and make you feel like the world is ripping itself apart from the seams. The last thing it needs to do is paint the sky blue and dress Galahad in a plumber outfit with a Red Ball Cap.

2. "It looks like a Movie" -

This criticism has me scratching my head. The game is divided into sequences of shoot bang, slow moments of exploring the environment/appreciating the art design, and letting subtle cues (QTEs) let you interact with puzzle elements.

That doesn't sound like a movie, that sounds like a game with a deliberate pace where you aren't shooting things every 4 or 5 sconds. This isn't a Kamiya title, this isn't a COD title, and this isn't Gears of War ad nauseum.

3. "It last's five hours and has no multiplayer!"

First off, it doesn't last five hours. If you want to speed run any game, I'm sure you can easily complete it in Wario64 time, but most sources claims it will last between 10-15 hours.

If you hate the idea of a veteran developer developing a brand new engine from scratch and crafting their first ever AAA Title- than by all means, atleast appreciate the compromises, sacrifice, and the deliberate intention to dedicate to making a cohesive, beautiful, and expansive narrative - as opposed to another Death Match rip off that will eventually be a wasteland in 6 months.

The filmic look is one thing but (if I had a PS4) the main reason I would not touch this with a ten-foot pole is the fact that the gameplay, when there manages to be some amidst all the cut scenes and QTEs, looks incredibly dull.

Oh, I very much am, but this game just looks awful, gameplay-wise. The Order 1886 feels like it's Ryse for the PS4, but even more dull, if that's possible.

Pretty on the outside, empty on the inside seems to be the trend.

You've obviously no interest in the game, seemingly don't care for the TPS genre and I doubt you've even any interest in a PS4. Why are you even in this topic?

Concept17

Why is this game getting so many negative comments before release? The game looks phenomenal. Is it because it's too 'cinematic' ?

viveks86

Guys. Do NOT click that one hour video video if you don't want spoilers. It's not official footage. It's what we saw last night.

Why is this game getting so many negative comments before release? The game looks phenomenal. Is it because it's too 'cinematic' ?

1. Its a Ps4 exclusive.
2. Its from a studio most people know.
3. Its will be the best looking game across all plattform when its out. The No.1 always gets hate.
4. Its focussing on story and presentation which isn't exactly something many selfproclaimed "core gamers" value.
5. No much of the game was shown so far.

Genio88

I guess it's gonna be treated like Ryse, a phenomenal looking game, but with boring linear gameplay, anonymous story and characters, and too short. Though i liked Ryse a lot, so i'm sure The Order will be loved from someone too

Shin-Ra

I suppose the shots are taken with the upcoming photo mode. The film grain in these is way stronger then during gameplay, that makes me think its edited.
It's overcast and grain's more apparent in stills, especially when the videos for comparison are as compressed as they are.

Alo0oy

Banned
I agree, but in this case it's especially bad. The Order is just a bland 3rd person shooter and walking/exploration simulator at the same time. The graphics look too blurry and too clean. We haven't seen enough gameplay (huehuehue) and ads. And we've seen too much.

Holy shit at that Hardcore gamer article.

I've seen people concerned about The Order before, but concerned that "The Order is being advertized too much"? That has to be the most bizarre concern I have ever seen.

Why is Sony paying money to advertize The Order? Those monsters.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If you hate the idea of a veteran developer developing a brand new engine from scratch and crafting their first ever AAA Title- than by all means, atleast appreciate the compromises, sacrifice, and the deliberate intention to dedicate to making a cohesive, beautiful, and expansive narrative - as opposed to another Death Match rip off that will eventually be a wasteland in 6 months.
I've commented a lot of your other points in earlier posts but I want to bring attention to this part particularly. What RaD have done in contructing an engine can't be understated. They basically went through a 2.5 generation jump between Ghost of Sparta and this and did it with all in house tech, something pretty much unheard of in AAA development.

In regards to the second point, lots of people are also using "no replay value" as an argument but as long as this has a proper chapter select I'll be playing the best battles and atmospheric moments over multiple times. That tends lasts me longer than MP since it's not dependent on the community and other playeds.

viveks86

I suppose the shots are taken with the upcoming photo mode. The film grain in these is way stronger then during gameplay, that makes me think its edited.

Nah. It's a screenshot. The film grain is pretty intense if you look at it up close. I had my face so close to the TV at PSX that I found it a bit too much. Looks perfect at reasonable viewing distance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom