• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The thirst is real: a Destiny TTK quest is exclusive to Red Bull (Until Jan 1, 2016)

Warewolf

Alternately, make it part of the expansion that everyone buys and gets to play by buying the expansion.

I think we can all agree that although that would be the literally ideal situation, Activision/Bungie are past trying to provide that sort of value.

At least we got the Techland joke out of it,

rezn0r

You forgot $15/month for PSN which is required to play Destiny.

I sure did, thanks. I'm an ass and paid off both PSN+ & XBLG up to 2017 at one point, I totally forget about them.

Can't bring that up since it's required for FFXIV on PS4 as well.

I had to Google around but I don't think it is, I don't think Gold was required for XI on 360 either. I could be wrong, I play FF on the PC.

Caja 117

Can't bring that up since it's required for FFXIV on PS4 as well.

Im prety sure FF14 doesnt require plus in ps4.

You forgot $15/month for PSN which is required to play Destiny.

Not really, unless you pay this amount only to play Destiny, the PLUS/XBL subscription cant be included as is a service that encapsulate every MP game under the console (aside from the value added on discounts and "free" games), not just Destiny. if so, we might as well start adding Cable internet monthly bill, How much you pay for the Electricity, etc.

rezn0r

Not really, unless you pay this amount only to play Destiny, the PLUS/XBL subscription cant be included as is a service that encapsulate every MP game under the console, not just Destiny. if so, we might as well start adding Cable internet monthly bill, How much you pay for the Electricity, etc.

I have to agree, I totally didn't think of adding in the PSN/XBL price because I never think of it as needed for a single game. I do just consider them as a utility I basically always want :)

I just don't get why it had to go as far as quests. Like, co-marketing crap is just reality for giant games these days and has been for ages; I mean hell, I think Bungie has been involved (or at least made to be involved by Microsoft/Activision) with soft drink marketing since Halo 2? Halo 3 at least. It's stupid, but it is what it is and it's generally inoffensive. Call of Duty has been doing the XP boost crap with Doritos and Dew and that's at least easy to ignore for people who don't like (or can't even buy) those products.

But like... quests? Why actual honest to god game content? Why specifically the thing that nearly 100% of the user base, even the people that still play and really enjoy Destiny, agree there isn't enough of in the base game?

They seriously could have just offered up, like, double vanguard marks per can and a blue and silver shader for a four pack and have been done with it. People would have rightfully poked fun at it, but it wouldn't have touched on quite such an open wound for the game's community right now.

Does Bungie even have a PR department? I'm starting to wonder.

GhaleonEB

I just don't get why it had to go as far as quests. Like, co-marketing crap is just reality for giant games these days and has been for ages; I mean hell, I think Bungie has been involved (or at least made to be involved by Microsoft/Activision) with soft drink marketing since Halo 2? Halo 3 at least. It's stupid, but it is what it is and it's generally inoffensive. Call of Duty has been doing the XP boost crap with Doritos and Dew and that's at least easy to ignore for people who don't like (or can't even buy) those products.

But like... quests? Why actual honest to god game content? Why specifically the thing that nearly 100% of the user base, even the people that still play and really enjoy Destiny, agree there isn't enough of in the base game?

They seriously could have just offered up, like, double vanguard marks per can and a blue and silver shader for a four pack and have been done with it. People would have rightfully poked fun at it, but it wouldn't have touched on quite such an open wound for the game's community right now.

The answer to this is, because it would probably sell a lot of Red Bull. Which is utterly the wrong answer from the standpoint of the user base, who are rightly up in arms about it, but if you are looking to make lots of money from a marketing deal, putting that on the table probably netted a big paycheck. It screams marketing over ruling game designers.

It's mind-boggling to me how badly the PR for the Taken King is being handled. Like you said, just about anything else would have been typical. But actual content tied to a beverage? Good lord.

NastyBook

Qbbz4XE.png

First thing I thought of.
Reads like something right out of "The Diamond Age."

These kind of things happen only because it is profitable. Best way to shut down these practices is to not pay for them, making them a financial disaster. But I suspect this promotion will be profitable for both Red Bull and Bungie.

XenoRaven

It certainly raises questions in my mind about the nature of the content. Was this content planned for TTK and then locked behind a uh...drinkwall? Was it going to be cut but they put it in as part of a marketing deal? Was this "quest" developed with the Red Bull partnership in mind from the beginning?

I can't blame people for being upset over this. Destiny has done itself no favors over the course of its very short lifespan to alleviate this type of criticism. As a fan of the game, it seems like they go out of their way to make me feel like a sucker for spending money on it. It's not a great feeling.

It certainly raises questions in my mind about the nature of the content. Was this content planned for TTK and then locked behind a uh...drinkwall? Was it going to be cut but they put it in as part of a marketing deal? Was this "quest" developed with the Red Bull partnership in mind from the beginning?

I can't blame people for being upset over this. Destiny has done itself no favors over the course of its very short lifespan to alleviate this type of criticism. As a fan of the game, it seems like they go out of their way to make me feel like a sucker for spending money on it. It's not a great feeling.

Looks like they have big plans for "Quests" in TTK. A whole new menu screen with 32 slots and multiple pages? There's like... maybe 3 "Quests" (not the same as missions) in the game right now. Eris Mourn urn, and one or two Queen's Wrath ones for the story, one time things.

Gsnap

Well what is the quest? If you're just walking down another hallway in order to shoot people in another uninspired arena while something unlock then.... Are you really missing out on anything?

At this point I'm less disappointed in the people making these deals than I am in the people buying it. Bungie has been brain dead since the launch of destiny because it's making them money. The people who put up with it are the real problem now.

Wizman23

Banned

Agreed. I still think after all the dust settles, the worst thing to come about anything Destiny related this past year is how Xbox Players continue, and will continue to get screwed. Call of Duty Maps coming out a few weeks early on Xbox sucks indeed, but whatever its a few weeks. Holding back content that Xbox users paid the SAME price for as PS4 for a year or more is an unacceptable low of shitty business practices.

JDSN

Banned
Meh, they are taking this things only as far as the fanbase have allowed them to, go get your money Activision, you've earned it.

The answer to this is, because it would probably sell a lot of Red Bull. Which is utterly the wrong answer from the standpoint of the user base, who are rightly up in arms about it, but if you are looking to make lots of money from a marketing deal, putting that on the table probably netted a big paycheck. It screams marketing over ruling game designers.

It's mind-boggling to me how badly the PR for the Taken King is being handled. Like you said, just about anything else would have been typical. But actual content tied to a beverage? Good lord.

Its unfortunate because things had been going so well lately. Despite not having a Raid, House of Wolves was largely well received and many game systems were over hauled for the better. They are burning goodwill faster than they can garner it.

Well what is the quest? If you're just walking down another hallway in order to shoot people in another uninspired arena while something unlock then.... Are you really missing out on anything?

At this point I'm less disappointed in the people making these deals than I am in the people buying it. Bungie has been brain dead since the launch of destiny because it's making them money. The people who put up with it are the real problem now.

"quests" in destiny are basically multi step bounties.

ie:
-Go shoot 25 Cabal with Void
-turn in for next step
-Go melee 25 cursed thrall without dying
-turn in for next step
-Go do this public event and kill this miniboss
-turn in for next step
-Do a little battle in a story mode area with slightly different/new mechanic
-Get reward

They aren't the same as "missions", which are single levels and larger and have a story/voice acting, etc. WE don't really know what this redbull thing is going to be because there's only like 3 "quests" in destiny right now. They've barely used them yet.

Bergerac

Shame E3 hadn't seen the debut of Mr Energy Drink. Megaton right there. Sony conference deseves to lose two grades for not having such a man onstage during Destiny segment.

JB1981

Looks like they have big plans for "Quests" in TTK. A whole new menu screen with 32 slots and multiple pages? There's like... maybe 3 "Quests" (not the same as missions) in the game right now. Eris Mourn urn, and one or two Queen's Wrath ones for the story, one time things.

Hmm. What is the source for this menu screen?

Guys Red Bull payed to make these quests possible!!!

Its hard for a game like Destiny and a company like Activision to make money and fund this, so without Red Bull these missions could not have even been created!!

Thanks Red Bull!!

*chugs Red Bull Vodka till my heart explodes*

Top Bottom