• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The thirst is real: a Destiny TTK quest is exclusive to Red Bull (Until Jan 1, 2016)

Afrocious

Awesome. You now get to sip on Red Bull while fighting hordes of the same enemies as you protect your Ghost who's opening a door.

The words "PR disaster" aren't even close to what is being discussed internally. They are making a ton of money off the game, who gives a fuck if people talk shit about it online?

Maybe so, but they could be making much more.

With the amount of people pissed off who won't be purchasing Destiny content from now on, wil they still make their projected profits?

That's what matters ultimately, not us.

Regardless, If this doesn't constitute a PR disaster, what does?

Assassin's Creed is still alive and kicking, so it's possible

In fairness, Assassins Creed when launched was amazing. ACII was awesome, then it went downhill, Black flag was amazing.

border

At this point it i would be amazed if Bungie and Activision were not having discussions right now.

This is nothing short of a PR disaster for the developer, the publisher and their game.

Destiny is the laughing stock of video games.

How are you going to make a franchise last 10 years while being publicly ridiculed at every corner, deservingly so?

Bungie just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about PR culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it!

Lothars

With the amount of people pissed off who won't be purchasing Destiny content from now on, wil they still make their projected profits?

That's what matters ultimately, not us
do you really think they cannot turn this around? This is a terrible PR week and deservingly so for how it's been handled but it can easily be turned around.

I would say 95% of the people saying they are not buying it would depending on what happens in the next couple months.

OldRoutes

y8W5bwW.png

The thing is, nobody is 'really' upset. It's just clearly dumb, but it's offering a quest for $2.50...

I dunno, I get the outrage, but this is so going to be a non-story in 2 months because, in the end, who gives a shit?

XP grinds increase playtime, which means fewer games sold back to retailers which means more sales of new copies.

I'm relatively tired of all the singleplayer games with an XP grind or massive skill tree. Why can't I just get new abilities as I need them? Or have them all unlocked from the start?

We need Mario 64 2.0, stat!

rezn0r

How much is it for the game plus all DLC's compared to a year subscription to either of those MMOs you mentioned?

Typed this up as a reply a bit ago and then got dragged AFK. It's probably been covered and in a better post already.

Disclaimer: I play both Destiny & FF14 an awful lot, by far more than anything else in the past year. I haven't touched WoW in a decade, so I don't know about that.

9/14 to 9/15, Destiny vs FF14

PRICES FOR SOFTWARE AT TIME OF LAUNCH
Destiny
Destiny Digital Guardian Edition PS4 $89.99 + The Taken King $39.99 = $130
Didn't include PSN's price for TKK CE because I can't purchase it...

FF14
month-to-month cost (but you're a fool if you play it and pay this)
($14.99 x 12) = $180 + Heavensward Collector's Edition $59.99 = $240
90-day sub pricing
($13.99 x 12) = ~$170 + Heavensward Collector's Edition $59.99 = $230
180-day sub pricing
($12.99 x 12) = ~$160 + Heavensward Collector's Edition $59.99 = $220
legacy account pricing (what I and a lot of other people around here pay)
($9.99 x 12) = $120 + Heavensward Collector's Edition $59.99 = $180

Drop $20 off of it if you don't care about the CE, which was early access, a mount, and some vanity gear.

You could count the cost of FF14's client, but I didn't, because the game has technically been alive since 2010, I'm just looking at the cost of each game September to September FOR ME

FWIW, IMO even the $110 difference at the "no one pays this tier" of FF14, FF14 is still a far better value. Nevermind what I actually pay, $50 more for FF14, which isn't even a question as far as the amount of content goes. In my opinion of course.

After getting everything besides burn primaries in HoW in less than a month Destiny is back to being a weekly Nightfallx3 run with my friends and I. I have too many lights and cores I have no use for, and I'm not worried about the new primary burn weapons because I have my VoG & Crota guns upgraded. Sure I could try to 'catch them all' but we aren't given enough storage to do that anyway...

Destiny vs MMOs = apples & oranges, though

Destiny is the laughing stock of video games.

Not at all.

Wow. What's next? Nintendo selling toys with exclusive content for a $60 game?

Another reason not to buy Destiny. Gonna save that money for The Handsome Collection.

That's what matters ultimately, not us.

Regardless, If this doesn't constitute a PR disaster, what does?

In fairness, Assassins Creed when launched was amazing. ACII was awesome, then it went downhill, Black flag was amazing.

Indeed they could be making so much more, but that's the state of the AAA gaming industry right now. You have hires from other industries that don't know any better and are good at what they do which doesn't translate to being good for the consumer. Take a look at how Batman on PC is being handled. An investment into making the game at least standard to what people expect on PC would have made the game a huge hit, but some exec decided against it because numbers and $. At the end of the day, they look good, they spin the results, money is still made. And Activision owes it all to it's loyal cash machines.

Yet Mobas and CS manage to be competitive without pre-built teams and win streak rewards thanks to things like skill ratings. Also I'd argue that the trials weapons would be no more easy/hard to get than the PvE ones with matchmaking. As a solo player it's easy to get teams together that can finish all the PvE content that's up for one week, in trials you need to get a much more skilled group together to get a shot at the weapons because you liable to come up against teams who play together all the time or teams being carried by a ridiculously good player. Match-making would make the loot acquisition much more similar to what it is in PvE.

Because Skill Ratings don't at all lead to drama and controversy beyond the game itself. As it is, PvE primary players are claiming the Weapons and Gear are easier to get in Trials than they are in Prison of Elders due to the relative difficulty and drop rate differences. Add in the fact that a 3v3 with all players being matchmade means less likelihood of facing a cohesive team with complimentary strengths.. or even a team with one amazing player carrying the other and yes.. Trials loot would become the defacto path to get the best gear.

Not all that significant given I was doing fine with my level 28 last IB.

Anecdotal. Fact is the stats matter much more. Have lower Defense and lower Attack then the guy you're in a firefight against? You're much less likely to win that firefight than you would be in normal Control.

RK128

So more content is being pulled from the game into other means :l? Makes since, considering how many deals they have with Sony for the game.

Just hope that people can get this through other means (like that bundle that includes the original game alongside the DLC's and the new expansion pack).

Trup1aya

I'm so dissapointed in Bungie... So after Marketing a game, boasting of an expansive universe, they sell for $60... completely devoid of content...

Then they ask you to buy multiple DLC packs or season passes in order to FINALLY give the game the kind of substance it needed all along...

Then they trip over themselves to try and make sense of forcing their Most loyal fans to repurchase everything they already own by locking exclusive collectors content into a complete bundle...

Now, in order to get full access to the latest DLC content, you have to buy a god awful drink, as part of a ridiculous cross-marketing program...

Are we sure Activision didn't hold Bungie at gunpoint to get them to make this game?... This isn't the same company that made Halo... Can't be...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I don't think many people are outright defending Bungie but some people, myself included, don't really think this is a huge deal.
The problem with it is that it sets (well reinforces) a precedence of screwing over fans of the game. We already have exclusive platform owner content, we also have features locked behind a collectors edition of the game (which screws over the loyal fanbase), and now we have a quest likely already made for the taken king locked behind a beverage. As someone said earlier it feels like bungies marketing team is developing the game more than actually game designers. It's just hard to trust a company and their product when they do stuff like this. I play destiny as my go to game so of course I'm gonna buy a red bull for the quest, but even so it shows a complete lack of ethics and destroys all rapport with their fanbase

Caja 117

I'm so dissapointed in Bungie... So after releasing a marketing a game, boasting of an expansive universe, they sell for $60 completely devoid of content...

Then they as you to buy multiple DLC packs or season passes, to FINALLY give the game the kind of substance it needed all along...

Then they trip over themselves to try and make sense of forcing their Most loyal fans to repurchase everything they already own, by locking exclusive collectors content into a complete bundle...

Now, in order to get full access to the latest DLC content, you have to buy a god awful drink, as part of a ridiculous cross-marketing program...

Are we sure Activision didn't hold Bungie at gunpoint to get them to make this game... This isn't the same company that made Halo... Can't be...

Is a timed content, it will be out for everyone by January I believe someone said. Not to mention that one part of the client base has always been locked out from content thanks to the Sony marketing agreement

urge26

Bahahaha at the game is a scam, you have to be fucking kidding me. For the cumulative price of $95.00, I've played a game that's brought me countless amazing hours of game play with some of my best friends, and been able to make lots of new friends from my clan. You're Damn right I'll play into corporate commanders $40.00 DLC pillage of the gamers.

Fucking drama Queens.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Is a timed content, it will be out for everyone by January I believe someone said. Not to mention that one part of the client base has always been locked out from content thanks to the Sony marketing agreement
The problem people have are things like this shouldn't happen timed or not. It's a completely shitty practice by everyone involved and we only lose when publishers take advantage of us. People being okay with this is the reason DLC is the way it is in 2015. We've got people like the person right above me basically slopping up bungies knob because he played the game for 500hrs and is essentially drooling for new content. 1 dollar doesnt matter to the guy who plays this game all the time because they were going to continue playing it anyways.

I'm so dissapointed in Bungie... So after Marketing a game, boasting of an expansive universe, they sell for $60... completely devoid of content...

Then they ask you to buy multiple DLC packs or season passes in order to FINALLY give the game the kind of substance it needed all along...

Then they trip over themselves to try and make sense of forcing their Most loyal fans to repurchase everything they already own by locking exclusive collectors content into a complete bundle...

Are we sure Activision didn't hold Bungie at gunpoint to get them to make this game?... This isn't the same company that made Halo... Can't be...

The problem this gaming forum has is how people don't realize that a company goes through many, many personnel/management/etc changes throughout it's lifetime. Saying "Bungie" as if it's the same "Bungie" from any given time doesn't make sense.

Bahahaha at the game is a scam, you have to be fucking kidding me. For the cumulative price of $95.00, I've played a game that's brought me countless amazing hours of game play with some of my best friends, and been able to make lots of new friends from my clan. You're Damn right I'll play into corporate commanders $40.00 DLC pillage of the gamers.

Fucking drama Queens.
Keep fighting the good fight.

Caja 117

The problem people have are things like this shouldn't happen timed or not. It's a completely shitty practice by everyone involved and we only lose when publishers take advantage of us. People being okay with this is the reason DLC is the way it is in 2015

Ideally timed content based on partnership shouldn't happen with Video Games, but I doubt that this will ever stop.

nel e nel

I got a 7-11 across the street from my work, and I'm taking Redbull orders. If anyone is interested, I'll PM you my paypal account info.

Warewolf

Honestly this seems like a better solution than locking it behind an expensive limited edition that contains something you already have.

The problem with it is that it sets (well reinforces) a precedence of screwing over fans of the game. We already have exclusive platform owner content, we also have features locked behind a collectors edition of the game (which screws over the loyal fanbase), and now we have a quest likely already made for the taken king locked behind a beverage. As someone said earlier it feels like bungies marketing team is developing the game more than actually game designers. It's just hard to trust a company and their product when they do stuff like this. I play destiny as my go to game so of course I'm gonna buy a red bull for the quest, but even so it shows a complete lack of ethics and destroys all rapport with their fanbase

The argument for what I bolded above is really hard to say with any certainty. I highly, highly doubt that they've taken out a chunk of the Taken King DLC and then locked it behind a Red Bull can. More than likely they had a few level designers spend a weekend throwing a mission together that was budgeted outside the scope of the DLC to fulfill their contract obligations between Red Bull and Activision. Is it kinda shitty? Yeah I'd prefer it didn't exist, but more than likely its a mission that has little impact to anything.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The argument for what I bolded above is really hard to say with any certainty. I highly, highly doubt that they've taken out a chunk of the Taken King DLC and then locked it behind a Red Bull can. More than likely they had a few level designers spend a weekend throwing a mission together that was budgeted outside the scope of the DLC to fulfill their contract obligations between Red Bull and Activision. Is it kinda shitty? Yeah I'd prefer it didn't exist, but more than likely its a mission that has little impact to anything.
Dude, how long have you been playing destiny? You know that's not likely at all. How many house of wolves missions were broken into at launch?

someday

Banned
I find it really irritating that I'm not only expected to buy Red Bull, something I don't drink, but I also have to pay a premium and get it from 7-11? Jesus christ.

do you really think they cannot turn this around? This is a terrible PR week and deservingly so for how it's been handled but it can easily be turned around.

I would say 95% of the people saying they are not buying it would depending on what happens in the next couple months.

I didn't say that.

I hope they DO sort it out as i really enjoy Destiny. I do not however enjoy getting treated like a POS.

Bungie just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about PR culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it!

It's about maximising profits.

Pissing people off does not maximise profits.

Not at all.

It's far from that but yes I wouldn't be surprised if they are having discussions on what to do better with how this and the interview was handled.

When it gets to the point that other developers are ripping you to shreds then yes. Yes it is.

When news articles are going up all around the net about it, when even Buissness Insider is picking up on it, when you literally cannot enter a gaming side Destiny thread where there is mostly positive discussions, then there is an issue.

Bedlam

Honestly this seems like a better solution than locking it behind an expensive limited edition that contains something you already have.
This sad realization demonstrates just how much is wrong with AAA gaming nowadays. It's kinda shocking and eye-opening.

Dude, how long have you been playing destiny? You know that's not likely at all. How many house of wolves missions were broken into at launch?

I've been playing since day one, and the existence of any of the HoW stuff was mostly a hollowed, partially finished shell of what they eventually put there. Just finding assets for stuff that eventually comes out means nothing.

Typed this up as a reply a bit ago and then got dragged AFK. It's probably been covered and in a better post already.

Disclaimer: I play both Destiny & FF14 an awful lot, by far more than anything else in the past year. I haven't touched WoW in a decade, so I don't know about that.

Destiny

FF14
90-day sub pricing
180-day sub pricing

Drop $20 off of it if you don't care about the CE, which was early access, a mount, and some vanity gear.

You could count the cost of FF14's client, but I didn't, because the game has technically been alive since 2010, I'm just looking at the cost of each game September to September FOR ME

FWIW, IMO even the $110 difference at the "no one pays this tier" of FF14, FF14 is still a far better value. Nevermind what I actually pay, $50 more for FF14, which isn't even a question as far as the amount of content goes. In my opinion of course.

After getting everything besides burn primaries in HoW in less than a month Destiny is back to being a weekly Nightfallx3 run with my friends and I. I have too many lights and cores I have no use for, and I'm not worried about the new primary burn weapons because I have my VoG & Crota guns upgraded. Sure I could try to 'catch them all' but we aren't given enough storage to do that anyway...

Not at all.

Thanks for this breakdown, I was just curious as I commonly see people compare Destiny to other MMOs since it kinda sorta fits into that category.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The first Destiny-branded cans will be available exclusively across 7-Eleven stores in July with a full retail roll-out in August. Closer to the launch of The Taken King, special Destiny-branded 4-packs of Red Bull will be available exclusively at Walmart that contain a Mega XP Accelerator, giving Destiny players an even greater advantage leading up to the launch.

So there's both a 7-11 and a Walmart exclusive as well.

TrutaS

I wonder how this deal compares with Dark Below on a money/playtime ratio.

It's the most ridiculous deal ever made in gaming though, even if it's affordable.

jax

Banned

Destiny

FF14
90-day sub pricing
180-day sub pricing

Not at all.

You forgot $15/month for PSN which is required to play Destiny.

"300+ opinion leader kits seeded"

I think they're going to have a bit of trouble astroturfing for this...

Eh, not really. Think about how many random YouTube celebs/Twitch personalities there are out there who would be psyched to play the game early/get free Red Bull stuff. Probably easier to find 300 people than you might think.

Top Bottom