• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
If it must be ported, I'd take one of two things: Majora's Mask 3D, as I thought the OoT 3D remake was dope. I feel, with that kind of visual increase, performance and gimmicks, it would be best suited to the 3DS. Alternatively, if it were for the Wii U I'd prefer a total overhaul/remake, including an entirely revised art direction that uses the same dark shadow shading that appeared in the official artwork.

Basically Majora's Mask HD, totally remade to look just like the concept and promotional art, taking advantage of the Wii U's hardware.

That would be awesome, but much more expensive. End of the day for cheapness I'd prefer the former idea.
I'd be giddy with either one, to be honest. After seeing how they handled OoT's conversion, they have my implicit trust.

As of late, I haven't been able to get the idea of a 3D console version of A Link to the Past. Seeing Death Mountain, Zora Falls, the Pegasus Boots, those incredible dungeons, etc etc in 3D space would be incedible to behold.

Izick

You're a bad influence, y'know that? You've inspired me to look-up the "Greatest meltdowns in gaming history" thread. I'll probably be up until 2am, giggling.. and I have to be at work by 7am. Mm mm mmm..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464637

It's funny to go back and see the predictions made. We're all going to look like assholes, five years from now. People from the future are laughing at the rumors and speculation the most, probably. That seems to be the funniest bits for me in reading those threads.

Nobody really has a fucking clue as to what's going to happen. Nobody at all.

Anth0ny

Some of these reactions are priceless:

Wii Music, Wii Sports Resort and Animal Crossing

now this is the best conference. I was waiting for when Nintendo would officially announce they hate hardcore gamers, so that people on GAF could stop pretending they liked the Wii.

thats the way i used to play sax before my parents almost bashed it in with a hammer

Wait, that cant be all.

No. NO!

Where the hell's my PIKMIN 3 kagari?

That thread is gold.

edit: LOL beaten twice picking out posts

BY2K

Membero Americo
nintendoe3hypedanceguuue.gif

Man, Acid Ghost does not sound good to me. I even like the idea of Geist, but just messing with passengers sounds wrong. Oh well.

Am I the only one that likes the sound of this game..?

As long as it has plenty of content I'd be quite happy being a ghost and messing with people lol

If it must be ported, I'd take one of two things: Majora's Mask 3D, as I thought the OoT 3D remake was dope. I feel, with that kind of visual increase, performance and gimmicks, it would be best suited to the 3DS. Alternatively, if it were for the Wii U I'd prefer a total overhaul/remake, including an entirely revised art direction that uses the same dark shadow shading that appeared in the official artwork.

Basically Majora's Mask HD, totally remade to look just like the concept and promotional art, taking advantage of the Wii U's hardware.

That would be awesome, but much more expensive. End of the day for cheapness I'd prefer the former idea.
I honestly don't see how Majoras Mask doesn't become a 3DS remake. Considering they can use a lot of the shit they used in OoT for it :p

HylianTom

Banned
It's funny to go back and see the predictions made. We're all going to look like assholes, five years from now. People from the future are laughing at the rumors and speculation the most, probably. That seems to be the funniest bits for me in reading those threads.

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, too. If the Wii U bombs, if the tablet is a joke, if there really is a huge/dramatic difference in graphics, if the games suck.. I'll gladly eat my words.

Hell, if I enjoy the multiplayer online aspect - something I can be pretty ambivalent about - I'll eat my words.

In the meantime, I'm having a grand amount of fun hanging out in here with you Ninthings. This has been, without a doubt, my favorite time I've spent on GAF.

Seriously? That was it?

Holy fucking shit.

This just in, random webcam man on G4 likes Wii Speak. It's a fucking microphone guys, they've been around for almost 100 years.

PS: 500'd

Well outside of Rhythm Heaven coming to the US (which wasn't in the conference, only the press kit) I can safely just sit back and laugh at the situation.

Nintendo fans need to realize exactly what brought Nintendo back to the top, and how horrible they were when they were at the top before. So none of this should surprise you. I just hope you all learned your lesson and will stop trying to argue with rational legitimate gamers about how much you pretend to like their casualized garbage.

If we can come to that deal, I promise GAF will be so much better for everyone.

Belongs here too...

bondwii.gif

Amazing

Izick

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, too. If the Wii U bombs, if the tablet is a joke, if there really is a huge/dramatic difference in graphics, if the games suck.. I'll gladly eat my words.

Hell, if I enjoy the multiplayer online aspect - something I can be pretty ambivalent about - I'll eat my words.

In the meantime, I'm having a grand amount of fun hanging out in here with you Ninthings. This has been, without a doubt, my favorite time I've spent on GAF.

Same for me, it's just funny to look back in these threads and see how wrong everyone was about stuff.

By the way, on what page does that DQ IX Betrayalton start to get good?

Linkhero1

I honestly don't see how Majoras Mask doesn't become a 3DS remake. Considering they can use a lot of the shit they used in OoT for it :p

Weren't they also interested in doing a 3DS remake too? Grezzo hasn't released a game in a while so I wouldn't be surprised if they began working on the remake.

Edit:

Sorry for the bad quality, but it was the best I could find.

Remember this Reggie fail?
I was so pissed off after this interview.

HylianTom

Banned
Same for me, it's just funny to look back in these threads and see how wrong everyone was about stuff.

By the way, on what page does that DQ IX Betrayalton start to get good?
Not sure yet, to be honest. I'm wading through the Sony 2006 conference, so I haven't gotten there yet. Remarkable how so many folks were claiming that they were not impressed with the next-gen-ness of the PS3's graphics. I foresee the same with the U's conference, or even worse.. and that's okay.

edit: I did some looking.. Page 9 is when things begin to untangle. (100posts per page) Cheers!

We've pretty much proofed these threads from historical rereadings on account of the consistent posting rate. People wouldn't know where to start to find all the juicy bits.

Izick

Not sure yet, to be honest. I'm wading through the Sony 2006 conference, so I haven't gotten there yet. Remarkable how so many folks were claiming that they were not impressed with the next-gen-ness of the PS3's graphics. I foresee the same with the U's conference, or even worse.. and that's okay.

Well, the launch games almost always end up looking like dog-shit compared to the stuff halfway or at the end of the console's life-cycle. It's usually for many, many reasons, and yeah, I'm guessing that it will be the same with Wii U.

So I just hit the part where DQ IX is announced for the DS and wow, it's like two completely different threads. The absolute insanity of it all is like a thing of beauty.

Linkhero1

"How could they feel left out? There was Animal Crossing and uh...DS GTA, how could you feel left out?"

He was much better in last year's interview. Hopefully this year its even better.

I don't think he had any way of talking himself out of that situation. At least last year they showed something worth showing. He dodged the bullets pretty well last year too.

I don't think he had any way of talking himself out of that situation. At least last year they showed something worth showing. He dodged the bullets pretty well last year too.

Kudos to the man for saying that with a straight face.

Say what you want about Reggie, but that man is goddamn professional. Dude could sell shit with a smile and I'd almost buy into it.

I can't believe they replaced him with Cammie on-stage, even temporarily.

Linkhero1

Say what you want about Reggie, but that man is goddamn professional. Dude could sell shit with a smile and I'd almost buy into it.

I can't believe they replaced him with Cammie on-stage, even temporarily.

That's why he deserves to be where he is right now. He knows how to go about doing business. Cammie was fucking awful. Who replaced her anyways? I think they've been keeping that person in the dark.

cv0093.jpg

The beast will soon be unleashed. If it is an abomination then so be it but rest assured it will be a glorious HD abomination.

HylianTom

Banned
That's why he deserves to be where he is right now. He knows how to go about doing business. Cammie was fucking awful. Who replaced her anyways? I think they've been keeping that person in the dark.
Agree about Reggie. Reggie friggin' owns whatever stage he stands upon. He commands your full attention. The other spokespersons seem downright blah compared to him.

I don't agree with everything that he does, and I am sometimes not sure how far his power to make decisions extends here in North America, but at the same time I don't look forward to the day that he leaves.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what ad campaign he and Nintendo management will be choosing. What angle(s) will they work when selling the U to the masses? I didn't pay as much attention to this aspect of the Wii's history, but I'll be paying very close attention this time around.

Izick

So did DQ IX put the DS over-the-top as selling so ridiculously well, or was it already printing money by that point?

cv0093.jpg

The beast will soon be unleashed. If it is an abomination then so be it but rest assured it will be a glorious HD abomination.

But the question you must ask is, who is the witch?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I feel sorry for Cammie. It was clearly the wrong job for her. Nintendo likely hired her to fill their "casual family audience" marketing gap, but it meant she was completely out of her field at stuff like E3. It's no surprise she left after only a short time with the company.

Reggie is all Nintendo needs. He's a smug bastard, but has a stage presence like nobody else.

Linkhero1

Agree about Reggie. Reggie friggin' owns whatever stage he stands upon. He commands your full attention. The other spokespersons seem downright blah compared to him.

I don't agree with everything that he does, and I am sometimes not sure how far his power to make decisions extends here in North America, but at the same time I don't look forward to the day that he leaves.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what ad campaign he and Nintendo management will be choosing. What angle(s) will they work when selling the U to the masses? I didn't pay as much attention to this aspect of the Wii's history, but I'll be paying very close attention this time around.

I think he's been doing a great job aside from a few localization mishaps. I agree with everything you've said.

I'm hoping their ad campaigns for "casual" friendly titles are the same as with the Wii and for more "hardcore" games they do whatever they can to make sure it reaches the right market.

Oddduck

AGITΩ;37947532 said:
Why cant they do both?
Mario on the classic donkey kong stage, the Further up he goes, the closer the download is the completion. If the download fails, he gets hit by a barrel and dies.

That's perfect.

I expect space. And cake. And cake space.
So you're expecting a Portal compilation? I gotta admit, I actually would love that, if only so Nintendo-only gamers can see what they've been missing.

AGITΩ;37947160 said:
Playing 3D Dot Game Heroes did put me in the mood for another Zelda game in this style.
Agreed. I never beat it, but that was a very solid game.

Wound up playing as the old man for no good reason. Made it rather amusing for me to be called a "prince" when I looked like I was old enough to have been king for most of my life.

Heh, thanks for reposting it.

BurntPork

Banned
I feel sorry for Cammie. It was clearly the wrong job for her. Nintendo likely hired her to fill their "casual family audience" marketing gap, but it meant she was completely out of her field at stuff like E3. It's no surprise she left after only a short time with the company.

Reggie is all Nintendo needs. He's a smug bastard, but has a stage presence like nobody else.

He's way better than the Microsoft E3 guy who's name I can never remember.

The Wii wins my contest just because it can play most of my favorite titles going back to the beginning, including the GameCube era. But not counting BC features, I'd have to go with the GameCube as well. Wind Waker remains my favorite Zelda title ever; it's going to be a tough one to beat, as I loved the art style and the really, really open world map.

The Atari VCS 2600 wins it for me, hence my avatar. Asteroids, Space Invaders, Missile Command and Pacman in your own home - in colour!!! Fantastic. And Parker Brothers' Empire Strikes Back has to go down as one of the best games of all-time for me personally.

HylianTom

Banned

She was great for smaller-scale events, and I'm convinced that she knew her stuff and really was/is into gaming. The women whom I worked with back then (my age and somewhat older) - a large part of Nintendo's target for advertising and production back then - found her relateable and trustworthy, but I guess Nintendo didn't find proper places for her. Disappointing.

At this point, I hope she hasn't soured on gaming or gamers. :/

The Atari VCS 2600 wins it for me, hence my avatar. Asteroids, Space Invaders, Missile Command and Pacman in your own home - in colour!!! Fantastic. And Parker Brothers' Empire Strikes Back has to go down as one of the best games of all-time for me personally.
I still have my original 2600 and 43 games in good working condition. Whenever I look at it, I suddenly feel thankful to my dad for getting me into this hobby. Many hours I've spent with that system, even after later systems came and went.

MarkusRJR

I absolutely loved reading the E3 2008 conference... The reactions were amazing.

Now I'm super pumped for E3 2012. I really want Nintendo to have either a really bad E3 or an awesome E3 (anything in the middle and it'll just be boring). Either way I'll be incredibly entertained. I will sip on the glorious tears of the over-hyped Nintendo fans.

Seriously though, I'm only going Wii U/3DS/Vita next gen so they better have a good E3... Pikmin 3 + Retro's game or bust.

3D Dot Game Heroes was so damn good.

Reggie and Tretton are the best. Reggie because he has a strong presence and can be funny in a totally stoic way. Tretton because he is genuinely/sincerely funny and loose in the way he speaks. He can take jokes/make light, and so on.

botty

Banned
As a casual gamer, Cammie spoke directly to me. Cammie's stage presence was warm and welcoming. You could tell that she actually did take her work home, and enjoy Nintendo experiences with her family. It was also a good break, hearing her speak, instead of being hypnotized by Reggie's hands.

antonz

Yeah Cammie was an unfortunate situation. Nintendo didnt know which direction really to go with for E3 and she ended up being the face of their attempt at a mass market casual E3 conference.

They quickly realized they screwed up and she realized it was craziness to join Nintendo heh

I still have my original 2600 and 43 games in good working condition. Whenever I look at it, I suddenly feel thankful to my dad for getting me into this hobby. Many hours I've spent with that system, even after later systems came and went.

Those Atari cartridges will probably last a long time. I mean, they're a lot simpler (with giant honking leads and all), so they are far, far fewer points of failure.

I have two Atari Video Computer Systems (2600s) and a box of games. My dirty secret? I'm pretty sure I have a backlog of unplayed games.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a sec… I loved Pac-man as a tiny kid, but if you go back and pay some attention, you'll find that it's a pretty shitty port. We're talking "Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop" in terms of faithfulness to the original.

HylianTom

Banned
Believe!

Just needed a reason to post it again. :p
I want to believe! I truly do!

Those Atari cartridges will probably last a long time. I mean, they're a lot simpler (with giant honking leads and all), so they are far, far fewer points of failure.

I have two Atari Video Computer Systems (2600s) and a box of games. My dirty secret? I'm pretty sure I have a backlog of unplayed games.
Okay.. I really did say "wow" upon reading that. An Atari backlog! First time I've seen that here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom