• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntPork

Banned
Him?
ipjYSV61LfbEk.gif

Or him? (Kudo Tsunoda)
jybO9s5DedKIE.jpg

EDIT: Stealth editing bastard!

Yes, the first guy.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I absolutely loved reading the E3 2008 conference... The reactions were amazing.

Now I'm super pumped for E3 2012. I really want Nintendo to have either a really bad E3 or an awesome E3 (anything in the middle and it'll just be boring). Either way I'll be incredibly entertained. I will sip on the glorious tears of the over-hyped Nintendo fans.

Seriously though, I'm only going Wii U/3DS/Vita next gen so they better have a good E3... Pikmin 3 + Retro's game or bust.

I really doubt they'll have a terrible E3. They'd have to really screw it up. Then again, that's exactly what Sony did in 2006. If anything it will be middle of the road / disappointing to great. I just want some "OH SHIT!" moments.

Linkhero1

I just bought Portal 2 last week. I haven't started but I would definitley rebuy if they release it on the Wii U with Wiimote + Nunchuk setup.

Always found it odd that GAF doesn't like Don Mattrick. He's kind of awkward up there because unlike most of the other suits(Reggie, Kaz), he got to where he is because of being a gaming nerd and not a polished business school type that rose the corporate ladder.

I swear they come out of a douchebag factory or something

If a douche bag factory actually existed, an Ivy League frat guy marketing exec would be their top selling model.

Penguin

3D Dot Game Heroes was so damn good.

Reggie and Tretton are the best. Reggie because he has a strong presence and can be funny in a totally stoic way. Tretton because he is genuinely/sincerely funny and loose in the way he speaks. He can take jokes/make light, and so on.

I know he doesn't work for the Big 3 anymore
But I really miss Peter Moore. He also had a fantastic stage presence, and just had that IT factor.

thank god for the wii u pad. now there's a way to play the game without the portal 2 logo in the middle of the screen at all times.

509.gif

Hm? What do you mean?

In the two-player game, she would function in the controller giving tips, jokes, and hints. For example while in the middle of a stage "she" could flash a hint real quick that you and your friend probably miss due to being focused on the game and when you get to the point where you needed the hint and can't figure it out, you'll get mocked. I don't know how much GLaDOS interacts in the current Co-op in Portal 2, but it could bring a different dynamic.

EDarkness

I just bought Portal 2 last week. I haven't started but I would definitley rebuy if they release it on the Wii U with Wiimote + Nunchuk setup.

Same here. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. Heh, I can see my Wii U game library being pretty extensive if remote and nunchuck are used in a lot of games.

So how long until publishers decide to use the uPad for advertising. You'll be playing Madden or something and seeing commercials for their next game or other games that are out on the screen.

Microsoft would do it :p

Linkhero1

Same here. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. Heh, I can see my Wii U game library being pretty extensive if remote and nunchuck are used in a lot of games.

I'll only accept Wiimote + Nunchuk for certain games. I didn't like the Wiimote setup in DKCR unfortunately.

I'll only accept Wiimote + Nunchuk for certain games. I didn't like the Wiimote setup in DKCR unfortunately.

Yeah, some games really just don't need it.

I do hope that Nintendo (and third parties) offers a good variety of control options when it makes sense, though. Options are king.

Just another reason I hope for a new 'classic controller'.

So how long until publishers decide to use the uPad for advertising. You'll be playing Madden or something and seeing commercials for their next game or other games that are out on the screen.

It would be interesting
(terrible, but interesting)
if the speculated "universal remote" feature meant that the system knew when you, say, had the Superbowl on and sent still pics of the next Madden game to the subscreen. Or noticed that you were watching WWE and had random little amusing 8-bit sprite versions of the guys on TV duking it out on the DRC.

So, let's say Nintendo has 1 1st Party game planned for the Wii U's launch. What game would you expect it to be, and what game do you unrealistically hope it would be?

I expect: NSMB 2

I hope for: A new SSB title

Pikmin 3 Pikmin 3 Pikmin Three

How much would you pay for a "Wii Drive Light" app for the Wii U DRC?
I don't know but I want it! We deserve it since we barely saw it on the Wii. Plus it looks cool.

Edit: Oh how much would I pay? Lol totally misread that. I guess maybe $10 to $15 dollars.

Soooo... any chance of a redesigned 3DS (Lite) being shown at E3?

Nit likely, though to be honest I am kinda expecting another DS redesign, maybe a micro DS. They two redisigns of GBA after the DS came out (GbM, GBASP+) and considering that Pokemon Black & White 2 is coming aswell as Nintendo seemingly wanting to keep the DS on the market for a few more years, I would say another DS redesign might come.

Anywayz: The rumored Ghost Acid (or whatever its called) game seems like a really cool concept. Hope its real.

I don't know but I want it! We deserve it since we barely saw it on the Wii. Plus it looks cool.

Edit: Oh how much would I pay? Lol totally misread that. I guess maybe $10 to $15 dollars.

I'm pretty impressed. I think two people so far would pay double digit dollars for something that could be programmed during a lunch break. Hey, Nintendo, I found your next revenue stream!

sameguy said:
Nit likely, though to be honest I am kinda expecting another DS redesign, maybe a micro DS. They two redisigns of GBA after the DS came out (GbM, GBASP+) and considering that Pokemon Black & White 2 is coming aswell as Nintendo seemingly wanting to keep the DS on the market for a few more years, I would say another DS redesign might come.

Hmmm, a "DS Mini" packaged with "March of the Minis"?

Anyway, I'm not expecting a 3DS redesign yet, either, but I am still hopeful that one will be announced by end of next year. And I'm still hopeful that it has build-in Circle Pad Pro functionality and a larger chassis/screen/battery.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Let's do a head count here.

Nintendo: Reggie, Iwata, Miyamoto appears all the time on stage.
Microsoft: Don Mattrick, Kudo and I think there's another one I'm missing. I don't even remember Kudo appearing last year.
Sony: Kaz and Tretton.

AGITΩ

Microsoft: Don Mattrick, Kudo and I think there's another one I'm missing. I don't even remember Kudo appearing last year.

For microsoft, I think little awkward acting kids should be counted as a head count. I expect it every year now.

What about that Phil Harrison feller? I heard he's at Microsoft now, right? He seems like a personality for some reason, though my memory of his Sony times is hazy.

HylianTom

Banned
AGITΩ;37949974 said:
For microsoft, I think little awkward acting kids should be counted as a head count. I expect it every year now.
The more we talk about comedy from the other conferences (and the more I read of the Sony 2006 conference), the more I wish I had taken off from work on that Monday. Here's hoping that I have a slow morning that day..

Would Kaz still be doing it because of his position, or would his emphasis on the importance of gaming keep him involved?

Bill Trinen (Nintendo Treehouse) shows up a fair bit.

Agreed on both counts. The waggle to roll thing was completely unnecessary, but I'm fighting the good fight for pointer controls. Sin and Punishment was such an amazing experience. I even fell back in love with FPS games because of the pointer (until Modern Warfare 3's maps killed my hype).

There's so much more potential there. This actually reminds me. I should download Nyxquest sometime before E3. Been meaning to get to that one...

Terrell

Amir0x. :lol

The only time I ever got banned on GAF was because of him. Because I disagreed with him and wouldn't drop the topic when he became bored with it, if I recall (it was a LONG time ago, though, at least 5 years ago). After that, any time I saw his name in a thread, I closed it immediately, as his presence always turned the conversation in a foul direction, whether by accident or design.
Needless to say I smiled on the inside the day I saw his name didn't have red in it anymore.

cv0093.jpg

The beast will soon be unleashed. If it is an abomination then so be it but rest assured it will be a glorious HD abomination.

Seriously, WHERE THE FUCK IS OUR CASTLE VIDCONS?! Seriously, Tyler Rhodes, I don't care what you're doing right now, if it means I get more of this series...

9e9.gif

I feel sorry for Cammie. It was clearly the wrong job for her. Nintendo likely hired her to fill their "casual family audience" marketing gap, but it meant she was completely out of her field at stuff like E3. It's no surprise she left after only a short time with the company.

Reggie is all Nintendo needs. He's a smug bastard, but has a stage presence like nobody else.

Reggie's schtick bothers me. Always has and always will. I'd rather have Cammie back.

The problem was that she was trotted out to present casual games to an audience, one that's not receptive to Reggie. But in 2009, she delivered the conference announcement of SMBWii, and a bunch of other titles. She HAD the chops to bridge the gap between casual and hardcore entertainment, but they never let her get there. Shame, really. I wouldn't be surprised if the hardcore gamer bullshit spewed at her is what drove her out, or if she was disappointed about being used as a setpiece.

GDGF

Soothsayer

Gahgadiddy mentioned something like this earlier in the thread. I think it was him, anyway. In his scenario, a Pizza Hut coupon and a portal to their website popped on the subscreen during a game of Madden (or something like that)

Sounds like something that could happen.

methodman

Banned
Gahgadiddy mentioned something like this earlier in the thread. I think it was him, anyway. In his scenario, a Pizza Hut coupon and a portal to their website popped on the subscreen during a game of Madden (or something like that)

Not a bad idea at all, actually.

Izick

Do we know the likely range of the control pad, or how it will be powered? I really hope it is chargeable, like the PS3 controller. Thing would be a battery killing monster.

AGITΩ

Reggie's schtick bothers me. Always has and always will.
I used to like Reggie, his angle, and what he stood for. Then he became President of NOA and it went down hill. When was it, E3 2008? when in a post conference interview he said something along the lines of "You asked me where the core games, and we gave it to you, we showed Animal Crossing". NOA needs a new President. Why cant we get a cool NCL guy like NOE? :c

Terrell

AGITΩ;37950414 said:
I used to like Reggie, his angle, and what he stood for. Then he became President of NOA and it went down hill. When was it, E3 2008? when in a post conference interview he said something along the lines of "You asked me where the core games, and we gave it to you, we showed Animal Crossing". NOA needs a new President. Why cant we get a cool NCL guy like NOE? :c

We had one, his name was Arakawa, he was removed because NoA didn't need a Yamauchi mouthpiece anymore. But I'll be damned if he wasn't an AWESOME Yamauchi mouthpiece.

Do we know the likely range of the control pad, or how it will be powered? I really hope it is chargeable, like the PS3 controller. Thing would be a battery killing monster.

Well, we've seen patent diagrams of a charging dock for the controller. I can't imagine we won't get a charging cable, even if it ends up being from a third party.

Izick

Well, we've seen patent diagrams of a charging dock for the controller. I can't imagine we won't get a charging cable, even if it ends up being from a third party.

They really should pack it in, considering how integral it is to the system. More integral than the Wiimote was to the Wii even, at least it looks that way. Chargers should be packed-in for all three next-gen anyways, but I doubt MS will do it.

They really should pack it in, considering how integral it is to the system. More integral than the Wiimote was to the Wii even, at least it looks that way. Chargers should be packed-in for all three next-gen anyways, but I doubt MS will do it.

Oh, I'm assuming that the dock will come with the system. It's a charging cable that might not.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

You are right! Here is what I said...

Here's an idea...

What if a game used the wuc to periodically display banner advertisements while playing the game on the tv screen. They could be context driven, say, for example, after scoring a hat trick in NHL 2012, an offer from Papa Johns comes up offering you a 3-toppings pizza for $5. Then you get an opportunity to pause the game and pull up the advertiser's website. In return for the banner ads you get to buy the game at a much cheaper rate (think $25-30).

-----

As for the user interface, I predict they will use the "throwing stars" example to slide channels across the wuc and then throw/flick them up onto the main tv screen.
I don't mind the advertising at all as long as people have a choice and it does subsidize both the cost and end price of the game.

Jintor

We had one, his name was Arakawa, he was removed because NoA didn't need a Yamauchi mouthpiece anymore. But I'll be damned if he wasn't an AWESOME Yamauchi mouthpiece.

Aren't he and his wife (Yamauchi's daughter) chilling in Hawaii now? I wonder if they even give a shit about vidya anymore.

I know Arakawa played games, at least.

EDarkness

I'll admit that I hate "waggle". If all they're gonna add is "waggle", then I'd rather they just use buttons. However, if they have any kind of manual aiming, then I want IR. Which was my beef with the Last Story and Little Kings Story. Just no reason for not doing it.

Okay, I guess that's alright then, as long as they're not ridiculously priced.

What's the guesses on price so far?

I've generally maintained a guess of $300, and recently I've been thinking that Nintendo could have a separate, $400 sku with a branded hard drive to help defray initial system losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom