• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
What Peter means is that... Kinect is better than Wii U.

So wait, if Molyneux says it's bad, then the LAW OF MOLYNEUX means that the exact opposite is true, so...if my calculations are correct...carry the five...it will be good!
I thought that was the rule for Pachter?

With Molyneux it just means that what he is saying is a lie!

Izick

What if you can trap Milo inside your Wii U pad, and then you interact with him through the camera, and then you plant an acorn in the game and it grows into a full tree!

I thought that was the rule for Pachter?

With Molyneux it just means that what he is saying is a lie!

But if it being bad is a lie, then it has to be good! Can't beat that logic! Wii U as console of the ages basically confirmed.

Could it be different shape and/or number of LEDs?

Just a very raw guess, I haven't read the patent yet. :-\

…right, read the patent!

Okay, I'm on it now. :D

edit: Okay, looks like when you calibrate, it sets "reference attitudes" for the TV screen, so then it knows which direction (based on gyro/compass) the TV's sensor bar is, so any other sensor bar or strip would just be assumed to be the one on the DRC. So more or lesswhat Disorientor said.

You know, it's kinda hard not to think you're trolling when you do that...
Burnpork you should learn to tolerate people that think different than you :¬D

It wasn't trolling, is just that the UE4 demo is not the type of thing you just judge by some select pictures. It needs to be seen in motion and with a complementary explanation of feature set to properly appreciate.

Don't you think?

Portugeezer

Gold Member
But if it being bad is a lie, then it has to be good! Can't beat that logic! Wii U as console of the ages basically confirmed.

Dat logic.

D3lON.gif

If that Unreal 4 screen is legit?

Stop freaking BurntPork. WiiU will be able to run UE4 maybe without the fancy lighting techniques. Other than that? Huge jump it is not.

IIRC, the sensor bar is something like this (where the "O" is a LED):

--O-O------------O-O--

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to have a slightly different array on the padlet to distinguish the two?

EDIT:

Aah - so it may be using the Remote Plus gyro data primarily, with the LED/camera acting as a kind of backup - that is, the position of the Remote in 3D space will tell it whether it's on one screen or the other, and the LED signal will reinforce that and "tie" the pointer to whichever screen it's aimed at.
When you say "led/camera" are you asuming the camera is used to aid to pin point absolute positioning. What part of the Wii remote the camera would be tracking exactly?
Like with multiple computer screens and mouses, maybe the game can tell when the edge of the screen has been reached, so it moves the cursor to the other screen, and switches to the Pad sensor.

That would probably mean there are specific schemes that you have to place the pad relative to the TV (right next to it, just below, etc.). Or they can be placed anywhere, once you calibrate them.
I think it recognizes to which one is pointing simply because the LED set up in the subscreen and sensor bar is different.

Nibel

Too bad. This is Nintendo. You're getting interactive Mario. He'll have his face and hands pressed up against the inside of the subscreen, and he'll be shouting "Help me, I'm-a stuck inside-a this controller… woohoo!"

Another Mario game? Is it like the 1000th already? Don't they have more idead than Mario?

Sigh, Nintendo.. this fucking company will NEVER learn.

z0m3le

Banned
But that's assuming Nintendo took the necessary steps for compatibility for what UE4 might require.

The latter part isn't really confirmed from what I know. We know CE3 runs on Wii U, but not CE 3.4 unless I missed something.

The rumor of crysis 3 level running on Wii U, isn't it built around CE 3.4?

UE3 btw runs on AMD E350, an 80 shader, 80GFLOPs 1.6ghz dual core APU, on top of Windows 7, so why Wii U with 5x to 10x that power couldn't run UE4, but hey lets continue to speculate about an engine that is still simply in development.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
?..
I think it recognizes to which one is pointing simply because the LED set up in the subscreen and sensor bar is different.

I dont think that's the case because, afaik, the camera in those old wiimotes uses firmware to track the lights. I don't think they can retroactively set a new pattern of IR lights to track. Besides, I think the lights on each end bleed together as one.. If that wii senitivity settings page is anything to go by.

If that Unreal 4 screen is legit?

Stop freaking BurntPork. WiiU will be able to run UE4 maybe without the fancy lighting techniques. Other than that? Huge jump it is not.

Except for the fact that much of what UE4 brings to the table isn't going to be seen from screenshots but rather how things are processed in real time.

Epic is being dumb. Like do they not live on this planet? Do they not understand how business works? I understand they want more power but are they not able to see things from other perspectives? This industry would be dead in no time if they all did what they wanted. Before you give them OMGWTFAMAZING graphics you gotta put their asses in the seats, and you're not gonna do that with 500+ dollar consoles, and I doubt either of them want to sell at a loss at this point.

I dont think that's the case because, afaik, the camera in those old wiimotes uses firmware to track the lights. I don't think they can retroactively set a new pattern of IR lights to track. Besides, I think the lights on each end bleed together as one.. If that wii senitivity settings page is anything to go by.

Yeah, the patent is rather obvious about it being a matter of "Have user point at TV, remember where that is, any sensor bar/strip found when not pointing in the remembered TV direction must be the subscreen".

lednerg

When you say "led/camera" are you asuming the camera is used to aid to pin point absolute positioning. What part of the Wii remote the camera would be tracking exactly?
He's referring to the camera in the Wiimote itself, the thing that sees the sensor bar LED's.
The Wiimote simply sees the sensor bar as being two IR "dots" with varying degrees of intensity (the size of each IR dot). It can track up to four of these dots at a time. They could simply strobe the sensor bar and Wii U controller IR LEDs to differentiate which is which. Combined with the gyro sensor, the resulting motion should be fine.

Nibel

Epic is being dumb. Like do they not live on this planet? Do they not understand how business works? I understand they want more power but are they not able to see things from other perspectives? This industry would be dead in no time if they all did what they wanted. Before you give them OMGWTFAMAZING graphics you gotta put their asses in the seats, and you're not gonna do that with 500+ dollar consoles, and I doubt either of them want to sell at a loss at this point.

But Avatar-like graphics

HylianTom

Banned
It's almost as though they weren't paying attention to the last six years or so. Remarkable.

I'm meaning the LEDs I'm assuming are on the padlet - to let it act as a mini TV/sensor bar combo for the Remote - and the camera in the nose of the Wii Remote.

As I see it, it works something like this:

-- You set up the padlet in a particular location.

-- You calibrate by pointing to the centre of each screen and pressing a button. You've now set the gyro data that says where the Remote/TV/padlet are in rough relation to each other.

-- Now, when you move the pointer off one screen and aim it the other the pointer should appear when the Remote is in the correct position, and the camera recognising the LEDs "reinforces" that.

-- Now the pointer is locked to the other screen, the Remote works in the same way as always.

I'd imagine there might be the potential for a lot of drift with this, but I'm sure you could come up with a clever way of recalibrating on the fly to counter that.

EDIT:

Although GameplayWhore is probably correct here. It's a simpler solution, though still using the gyro data but with only one calibration point.

Nibel

In terms of hardware power, next gen won't be the same as this gen

In terms of bullshit talk, it will be the same but this time on steroids

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Epic made a killing doing just this for the entire current generation. It's a business model that, for them, is tried and true. It's their bread and butter. They're also pushing the mobile market.

Epic is the leading company when it comes to middleware. They're doing it right where everybody else is doing it wrong. They're far from 'dumb'.

I think they're still willing to sell at an initial loss, albeit not as large as this generation's (which left Sony's game division eight billion in the hole and only led to profit in Microsoft's six years after launch). What they need to do is apply the "Razor and Blades Business Model". People have been confusing what they've been doing with this model, but there's a substantial difference, which is that the model involves taking a loss on the razor to make a profit after the blades are figured in, whereas the "HD Console Model" is more akin to taking a loss on both the razor and the blades in order to gain mindshare for profit at a future time.

This is actually good news for Wii U. If MS and Sony aren't jumping into the power game, we'll likely see similar graphic capabilities on all 3 consoles next gen.
once again, I doubt that. They'll be in the same ball park, but the other 2 will likely be quite a bit more powerful than wiiU. BG already posted the target specs for the PS4 and alone would be plenty stronger, but it doesn't put wiiU out of the realm of downports, so that's the positive.

Won't really be similar though.

Didn't know that. Probably that's the case since some people were succesful using the 2 candle method to traingulate position and the Wii Remote functioned normally.
He's referring to the camera in the Wiimote itself, the thing that sees the sensor bar LED's.

The Wiimote simply sees the sensor bar as being two IR "dots" with varying degrees of intensity (the size of each IR dot). It can track up to four of these dots at a time. They could simply strobe the sensor bar and Wii U controller IR LEDs to differentiate which is which. Combined with the gyro sensor, the resulting motion should be fine.
Thanks for the in depth explanation.

Epic made a killing doing just this for the entire current generation. It's a business model that, for them, is tried and true. It's their bread and butter. They're also pushing the mobile market.

Epic is the leading company when it comes to middleware. They're doing it right where everybody else is doing it wrong. They're far from 'dumb'.
Unfortunate truth.

They are doing it right.

Discomurf

once again, I doubt that. They'll be in the same ball park, but the other 2 will likely be quite a bit more powerful than wiiU. BG already posted the target specs for the PS4 and alone would be plenty stronger, but it doesn't put wiiU out of the realm of downports, so that's the positive.

Maybe not totally similar, but no where near the gap there was this gen.

console industry is going to an opposite place compared to the mobile industry

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
It's math time, k ?

Demonstration 1

Molyneux: Wii U = "Slightly lackluster"
Molyneux knowledge = at best relevant in a previous dev kit that the newest ones context (because they just arrived or are currently supplied to big third-parties)

IdeaMan & other sources: newest dev kits = slight increase compare to the context of Molyneux words.

"Slightly lackluster" + slightly increase = lackluster neutered = Wii U not lackluster

Demonstration 2

Molyneux: Wii U = "Slightly lackluster" = not impressed
Forbes: Wii U = "frankenstein monstrosity called Wii U"

Slightly lackluster (= not impressed) + frankeinstein monstrosity = lackluster neutered = Wii U not lackluster nor a frankenstein monstrosity.

Those kind of interviews in regard to Wii U these last months were so informative :D

BurntPork

Banned

Where did he post them?

-- You calibrate by pointing to the centre of each screen and pressing a button. You've now set the gyro data that says where the Remote/TV/padlet are in rough relation to each other.

Although GameplayWhore is probably correct here. It's a simpler solution, though still using the gyro data but with only one calibration point.

I also considered the option of calibrating to each screen (as it would allow for a plurality of subscreens, which would), but Nintendo would perhaps recognize that this could lead to a little bit of user frustration. That and it would be really annoying to compensate for things like the DRC being moved for some reason (like, mum takes it off the nice glass table to avoid scratches and puts it on the floor while Junior is playing). Linear motion is still hard to properly track, so that would be difficult to work out.

Izick

iWabKzG4LecPQ.gif

Epic raised the bar for the 360, and I have nothing against them trying to raise the bar again. Like I said, I'd rather pay an extra 100$ on launch day so that the console is 5 times more future proof.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
console industry is going to an opposite place compared to the mobile industry

Right. There's a lot of shit that is currently bad, and could get worse for the console industry. But Epic is not 'dumb'. Every single business move they've made regarding engine production and middleware for an entire generation has been the exact opposite of 'dumb'. They've had a generation worth of developers abide by the rules of UE3, and built UE3 to the strengths and weaknesses of consoles, PC and now mobile. There is literally nobody in the entire industry as business savvy and intelligent with middleware than Epic currently is.

Whether or not they fuck it up with UE4 remains to be seen, especially when it comes to their requests regarding hardware and what that means for the industry. But until that happens it's extremely premature to call them 'dumb'.

KageMaru

Is there anything else to talk about? When specialguy, Heavy, and Van Owen get on, the thread will be derailed to this topic anyway so we might as well talk about something else. At the very least, we should speculate about whether or not this increases the chances of the other consoles being announced at E3 and stealing Wii U's thunder.

I think some games or demos will be presented behind closed doors, but we won't see any console reveals.

This post is hilarious on multiple levels.

You want Epic to downplay graphics when that is a large part of their business. You think graphics alone are the prime factor towards rising development costs. Last, you think MS and Sony aren't going to sell at a loss next gen.

I think it's fine if you wish to live in your little box, but it's wrong to assume the rest of the industry should.

I think they're still willing to sell at an initial loss, albeit not as large as this generation's (which left Sony's game division eight billion in the hole and only led to profit in Microsoft's six years after launch). What they need to do is apply the "Razor and Blades Business Model". People have been confusing what they've been doing with this model, but there's a substantial difference, which is that the model involves taking a loss on the razor to make a profit after the blades are figured in, whereas the "HD Console Model" is more akin to taking a loss on both the razor and the blade in order to gain mindshare for profit at a future time.

MS has been profitable for years, they didn't just start profiting off the 360 last year.

Also, you have the whole razor and blades business model wrong. You really think they plan to lose money on the games they release? It's sell X amount of software to make up for X amount lost on hardware. This is what they do and have been doing for generations.

BurntPork

Banned
Burnpork you should learn to tolerate people that think different than you :¬D

It wasn't trolling, is just that the UE4 demo is not the type of thing you just judge by some select pictures. It needs to be seen in motion and with a complementary explanation of feature set to properly appreciate.

Don't you think?
I'm talking about in general, since that's not the first time you've done that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom