• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

About expectations...

I think I have mine in order and they aren't out of this world.

I expect and require:

1. Online network at worst on par with current Xbox Live or PS3 levels

2. Real fun ideas with new control mechanism in addition to motion controls

3. Consistent flow of games from Nintendo 1st and 2nd party for the duration of the console life cycle

4. Major third party support via ports for all the big games which are developed usually for MS and Sony only; some exclusives (even if only timed), and 1-2 major 3rd party games at launch

5. 1-2 Nintendo "AAA" launch titles (pick any franchise not named Pikmin since that's confirmed)

6. Price below or no more than $400

7. Some improvement over current gen HD consoles in terms of graphics (has to be noticeable) and major improvement in development ease

Is that too much to ask?

Sendou

smh.

Lets start talking about Square bringing FF7 remake to the Wii U too.

Just enjoy what is already being talked about. Stop hoping for miracles that aren't happening.

I seriously don't consider a Diablo III port to 360, PS3 and Wii U a miracle at this point.

DrWong

Ok guys, sorry but I have to repeat it:

It's also what I thought but it seems it's more than just "looking into" as in this interview published today by Gameblog, Alex Mayberry, producer of the game, said: "Nous avons bien sûr le PVP qui va arriver mais nous travaillons aussi sur un développement consoles. / We're also working on a consoles development".
Hype?

This quote from the interview basically confirms there's a Diablo III consoles version in the work. I insist on the "s" (I missed it in my first post and just realised after) as it means, without even taking in account the previous Blizzard rumor, that there's a good chance we'll have a Wii U version.

Thanks for your attention.

I'm pretty sure there won't ever be a need for 50GB discs. Only a small percentage of 360 games have come on more than one DVD this gen, and very few PS3 games use most of the blu ray (usually data is repeated to speed up load times I believe). Don't forget that many first-party Wii games were no more than a couple of gigs in size, I don't think the jump to HD will mean they will suddenly be filling up 25GB discs!

snesfreak

Banned
When studios mention future consoles they could mean the Splorgenborg
Wii U IS the Splorgenborg.
I'm pretty sure there won't ever be a need for 50GB discs. Only a small percentage of 360 games have come on more than one DVD this gen, and very few PS3 games use most of the blu ray (usually data is repeated to speed up load times I believe). Don't forget that many first-party Wii games were no more than a couple of gigs in size, I don't think the jump to HD will mean they will suddenly be filling up 25GB discs!
Don't underestimate the ability of third-parties to use up space.
More prerendered videos for everyone!

Sendou

More space for on-dics DLC.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm gonna be a shit-disturber with this but here goes:

Hypothetically: Wii U is on par with current gen and this is made perfectly clear at E3.

Reaction?

Is this a trick question? Generation isn't defined by power after all.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I'm gonna be a shit-disturber with this but here goes:

Hypothetically: Wii U is on par with current gen and this is made perfectly clear at E3.

Reaction?

Improbable.

But if it were to happen, hypothetically, I would go berserk and set out on an xbox console murder spree.

I won't happen, though. So everyone can take it easy.

I expect the Wii U to be a bit more impressive than this gen and then be significantly less impressive compared to the PS4/Nextbox. I could basically see the Wii U putting out Vita type visuals when one takes into consideration of what the Vita can show on the small screen.

Bookmarked. See you next decade, Mr. Gates!

Donnie

I expect the Wii U to be a bit more impressive than this gen and then be significantly less impressive compared to the PS4/Nextbox. I could basically see the Wii U putting out Vita type visuals when one takes into consideration of what the Vita can show on the small screen.

WiiU a bit more impressive than current gen, PS4 a bit more impressive than WiiU, XBox 3 a bit more impressive than PS4 is my prediction.

Certainly at the moment nothing is pointing to PS4 being very similar in performance to XBox 3.

Instro

I don't understand your Vita comparison. How would it be more impressive than this generation, by putting out visuals of a significantly weaker handheld?

I don't understand your Vita comparison.

The visuals that the Vita will output will be about what we will see on the Wii U. Not sure what there is to understand. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vita will output more impressive visuals in a couple of years than what we got out of the PS3. Just as I expect that the Wii U will eventually output better visuals than the PS3/360.

Cheesecakebobby said:
There are some games that use that much space now, and it will only become more common as games start using post-PS360 level assets. MOST games won't need it, sure.

burst

The developers in house at Nintendo must have been dying to use a powerful CPU and graphics card for the last couple of years. Imagine the ideas that had to be shelved untill the next conse was coming to fruition. Should we be excited for what the CPU will bring to the table? How much more will it allow compared to the 360/ps3?

Donnie

The visuals that the Vita will output will be about what we will see on the Wii U. Not sure what there is to understand. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vita will output more impressive visuals in a couple of years than what we got out of the PS3. Just as I expect that the Wii U will eventually output better visuals than the PS3/360.

You mean WiiU will output visuals on the big screen that look as good as Vita's visuals look on its small screen.

Not sure I agree but I understand what you mean.

Are you trying to say vita is to ps3 as WiiU is to ps4???

Instro

They are not even in the same realm of power.

Donnie

The developers in house at Nintendo must have been dying to use a powerful CPU and graphics card for the last couple of years. Imagine the ideas that had to be shelved untill the next conse was coming to fruition. Should we be excited for what the CPU will bring to the table? How much more will it allow compared to the 360/ps3?

I think the CPU will be one of the lesser upgrades as far as out and out performance goes. But if a developer makes use of WiiU's DSP and IO processor the CPU should be freed up to allow for better physics and AI then is possible on current gen consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom