• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Yeah, the harpies swoop down and pick it up themselves. If you've cleared out all the nests in the area, they do nothing. If you're going for the Miser achievement, hold off on destroying the nests until you can collect a ton of harpy feathers.

Has anybody figured out the new hidden Steam achievement?
Yeah, in Act 1
to the right of the smuggler cabin in the swamp there's a shrine that you click on for the achievement. It also gives you a skill that changes Quen red and adds a small chance of incineration.

Dynamic3

Grabbed this a few days ago. It's caused me so much frustration. My controller is unresponsive when I pull up the quick menu, and when I switch to mouse I get floaty cursor in random screens despite using the ini fix and disabling vsync. I also had the stuttering issue and have tons of graphical issues.

As for the game itself, I really am intrigued by the story now that I finally made it through the labourus prologue however the combat is so tedious. You always have to buff pre-battle, which is so annoying because I either have to deal with an unresponsive menu or a floaty cursor, and the only way to survive when you're being attacked by nine monsters at once who kill you in three hits is to constantly roll, which is gamey. My tutorial was also bugged so I have no idea what any of the signs do aside from Igni and Quen.

Maybe I'll come back another time.

MrMephistoX

Just curious if I should snag this on the steam sale if I haven't played Witcher 1. Considering waiting to play through that and then waiting for the steam winter sale.

JeTmAn81

Just bought Witcher 1 from the Steam sale ($2.49!). I'm going to pull a Vinny Caravella and I'll see you guys again if I ever finish it and move on to Witcher 2.

Just curious if I should snag this on the steam sale if I haven't played Witcher 1. Considering waiting to play through that and then waiting for the steam winter sale.
It's worth the money. My advice is to play both games (W1 & 2) for the best experience even though 2 doesn't really connect that much to 1.
These games are worth the money, no doubt about it, ESPECIALLY at these prices. Enjoy it!

Yopis

My second run of the game is night and day from the first. Started on normal the,first time. Between not really getting the combat and all of the name dropping I was lost.

Really didnt know why people were so high on the game. By the third act the combat just clicked. Understood traps potions ect. Saw the ending and was pleased.

Now about a month later I get everything and everyone from the start The names make sense. Combat is great and It is fun attacking groups in different ways. Made some different choices at the start that have shown me new things.

Running on Dark now and loving it. Game really is fantastic it just does a poor job breaking you in imo. Just wanted to share my thoughts carry on.

Hoplatee

Sorry to bump this but I have a question and was worried about spoilers if I googled too many details. I played The Witcher 1 till the middle of Act 3 only to discover that many save files were bugged when I wanted to pick it up again earlier today. (always on the ground, unable to do anything) Right before the end of chapter 2 I found a working one and did not want to do all of that again so instead I just downloaded the story parts from Youtube and watched those. I found a save file which pretty much took the same route as he did and I liked those.

Would it be wise to download that save file or is that useless? As far as my google skills and reading quickly through some pages I did read that it only makes mentions at some times (but nothing drastic) to the first game and on the top of this page someone mentions the Raven armor (and weapons). Is that really the only thing and I should just be fine with a fresh begin and no save, correct? I would not miss anything by not importing a save?

edit : Grr, now the Launcher keeps crashing. I have no luck with these games :(

Does anyone know why my launcher now crashes any time i have an internet connection? Also, moving my game to my SSD seems to have wiped my save. How do I retrieve it from Steamcloud?

Pro

Can somebody post the fix action for the launcher crash? Can't access the above link from work...site blocked...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
According to the thread linked above, the problems with the launcher have been fixed, but before then it was possible to launch the game directly with it's .exe file in the bin folder of the TW2 directory.

Pro

yeah i did launch it directly from the .exe yesterday, but it was still annoying having the launcher crash. I'll have to check it out when I get home. Thanks for the info.

The Eternal Battle
is doing my fucking nut in. I'm supposed
to beat four wraiths and a drougir all at once while not even being able to jump because I'm controlling an apparently fallen knight. I'm totally desperate right now. I'm not even close to to killing two let alone all five of them.
Dark difficutly was piece of cake so far but this is simply absurd.

And another thing: I can't seem to find the savegames in the corresponding folder (My Documents/Witcher 2/gamesaves <- it's simply empty). I have so many savegames that it takes ages to load one, which is a pain in the ass considering that I can't get past
The Eternal Battle Quest
. I'd love to delete some.

edit: nvm, I solved both problems.

And now I'm stuck two sections later with
Seltkirk
because I have no idea how to time riposte (and apparently there's no indicator on screen on dark difficulty) because I haven't used melee combat once so far. I'm not even getting past the first three opponents.

Goddamn, this section is fucking horrible. Really on its way to ruin the game for me. Eh I'm rage quitting for today.

Taruranto

8sJS9.jpg

This sub-quest was quite a chore.

Finally i got some cool armor & sword~

Meier

I'm part of the way through Chapter 3 now on the Xbox version and heavily enjoying it. I accidentally stumbled onto the Triss section of this area and just kinda went with it even though it wasn't my intent. Just got some armor that wasn't totally an upgrade over my previous kind but it let me carry another 50 pounds so I definitely have swapped over to using it for the time being at a minimum. So many swords to sell!

The economy in this game is absolute shit btw. The sell value compared to the buy costs are insanely out of wack. It's been awhile since I played the original so I don't recall if it was this bad in that regard.

Actually, Swallow is pretty useless cause it regenerates your vitality so slow.

Is there any other potion that restores health? I try and have it and Rook up frequently.. haven't really bothered with the other potions to be honest.

Still stuck at that exact section. This is totally ruining the game for me. The combat mechanics are horrible. I block an incoming attack and try to retaliate immediately but the wraths get bounced back a tad too far so that I can't counter instantly. So I have to take a step forward and hence give them time to block my attacks.

This is genuinely frustrating me to tears. I have no idea what this game wants from me. I'm not feeling the melee combat at all.

It's impossible with a mage build, isn't it? Where's that god mode at?

edit: Found it, used it and I don't feel bad about it.

Trickster

Just started playing Witcher 2. Curious if there are any graphical settings that eat up alot of fps? Would rather be playing at 60+ fps than, 30-50.

Also, any mods for this game?

voltron

Just bought this.... loving the look and 'grown-up' feel to everything so far. Playing on 360 though and never played the first game on PC.

Is it worth doing a bit of research into the events of the first game? A quick perusal of wikipedia alludes to a fairly rich universe with that one could probably get lost in if oe was so inclined.

Is it worth doing a bit of research into the events of the first game? A quick perusal of wikipedia alludes to a fairly rich universe with that one could probably get lost in if oe was so inclined.
Of coure. If you can't play the first game, "read" it so can familiarize yourself with the lore as best as possible. TW2 & TW1 arent' that connected but here and there are some snippets show up. Enjoy the game!

Dries

Just started playing Witcher 2. Curious if there are any graphical settings that eat up alot of fps? Would rather be playing at 60+ fps than, 30-50.

Also, any mods for this game?

Just can't wrap my head around the fact that there are people who'd rather play with 60+ fps and less graphics than 30-50 fps and full graphics. Tastes differ, I guess, but I would choose graphics above fps any day. (as long as it doesn't dip below 30 ofc).

Just can't wrap my head around the fact that there are people who'd rather play with 60+ fps and less graphics than 30-50 fps and full graphics. Tastes differ, I guess, but I would choose graphics above fps any day. (as long as it doesn't dip below 30 ofc).
I can.
IMHO, for these types of games, with fast paced, "multi-enemy" combat situations, 60fps is an advantage because it makes the combat more fluid & responsive. Other that TW2, Amalur comes to mind as it's a completely different combat feel on 60fps than on 30fps.

Dries

I can.
IMHO, for these types of games, with fast paced, "multi-enemy" combat situations, 60fps is an advantage because it makes the combat more fluid & responsive. Other that TW2, Amalur comes to mind as it's a completely different combat feel on 60fps then on 30fps.

45 fps is enough for that purpose imo..

Edit: Holy fucking shit, that fight againt the Vandergrift Draug is so unfair on Dark it's not even funny anymore...

Edit2: Beaten. Up till now in Dark mode I've never yet needed to use Dark armour. Am I just exceptionally good or is Dark mode not that dark after all?

Dries

Btw, why is Geralt participating in the whole Kaedwen/Aerdin war anyway? Isn't his only interest finding the Kingslayer and Triss? Is he just fighting for Saskia's ideals? Just seems illogical for him to get side tracked.

Btw, why is Geralt participating in the whole Kaedwen/Aerdin war anyway? Isn't his only interest finding the Kingslayer and Triss? Is he just fighting for Saskia's ideals? Just seems illogical for him to get side tracked.
Until the actual fighting he's not sidetracked. He needs information from both sides so he needs to lift the curse to move freely. When the actual fighting begins, if he's on Saskia's side he tells her he's not fighting for the cause, he's just helping his friend Zoltan. It's the same way in the books where he'll join a fight to help a friend even if he has no interest in the cause.

Dries

Until the actual fighting he's not sidetracked. He needs information from both sides so he needs to lift the curse to move freely. When the actual fighting begins, if he's on Saskia's side he tells her he's not fighting for the cause, he's just helping his friend Zoltan. It's the same way in the books where he'll join a fight to help a friend even if he has no interest in the cause.

Oh that's right, I remember that part. Also, when on Saskia's side, I'd want to believe he's fighting for her ideals.

Dries

So didn't one of the new DLC quests in Chapter III involve some sort of bridge with beautiful wild life? I picked Iorveth's side, so I hope I'll be getting that quest.

eek5

So didn't one of the new DLC quests in Chapter III involve some sort of bridge with beautiful wild life? I picked Iorveth's side, so I hope I'll be getting that quest.

I got that quest but on the other fork. Not sure if you get it with Iorveth

Darn. Looks like I'll have something to look forward to on my third playthrough.

PS. Alchemy tree sucks ass. Especially at the end.
On the bright side the bridge scene you see in most trailers is actually from the new end game cinematic that's seen on both sides.

The Iorveth side mission is an indoor one though.

Levyne

Banned
Hey guys, I have a question.

My game keeps crashing and freezing 80% of the time if I try to save or load. I think it's because I have so many save files because it makes a new one each time. I have 8 gigs of RAM and a 64 gb operating system. The game runs fine otherwise. How can I fix this? I'm near the end of chapter two.

Also now I keep getting the .net framework to repair itself when I launch the game now. I don't know if it's related. Similarly, whenever I check the integrity periodically it's had to reacquire 1 or 2 files a couple of times.

Dries

Hey guys, I have a question.

My game keeps crashing and freezing 80% of the time if I try to save or load. I think it's because I have so many save files because it makes a new one each time. I have 8 gigs of RAM and a 64 gb operating system. The game runs fine otherwise. How can I fix this? I'm near the end of chapter two.

Also now I keep getting the .net framework to repair itself when I launch the game now. I don't know if it's related. Similarly, whenever I check the integrity periodically it's had to reacquire 1 or 2 files a couple of times.

Try deleting some of those old save files yet?

Solo

So what's the verdict, my OG TW2 bros? Was the new content substantial? Does it make the game worth playing through again?

Yeah I finally found them and deleted some. Works, but still seems silly to have to resort to that.
They've always been bad at save files. Witcher 1 they were 15 megs each, and due to crash issues you had to quicksave often, and it created a new save each time.

So what's the verdict, my OG TW2 bros? Was the new content substantial? Does it make the game worth playing through again?
I only played through again on Iorveth's side so far, and I'd say it's probably not worth the playthrough if you weren't planning on playing it again in the first place.
Iorveth's side does give you some new info on Geralt and the Wild Hunt, but I don't actually remember much of the mission itself other then some rooms with riddles in them. It wasn't a long mission.

It's nice to have all the extra cut scenes and extra mission, but Enhanced Edition feels more about making the game more complete for someone new rather than giving returning players a lot more to do.

You can actually watch the new end credits stuff by loading up your last previous save. Sometimes it's buggy because of compatibility issues but it usually works.

Just started playing this game.

I find most RPG's to be brain dead on normal mode. I.e, you have all these tools yet swinging around a random sword does the trick (i.e, Skyrim)

I'm not looking for a super hard experience, I just want a game that challenges me creatively with combat. Is this game's normal mode well balanced for that mentality.

Bear in mind, I haven't played the The Witcher "1" yet, so I am new to this franchise.

EDIT: I Finished the tutorial and it recommended easy mode - but I feel that's mostly because I haven't fully grasped the concepts or the controls yet.

Dresden

45 fps is enough for that purpose imo..

Edit: Holy fucking shit, that fight againt the Vandergrift Draug is so unfair on Dark it's not even funny anymore...

Edit2: Beaten. Up till now in Dark mode I've never yet needed to use Dark armour. Am I just exceptionally good or is Dark mode not that dark after all?
Dark isn't that hard... only had difficulties in a certain section at the end of chapter 2, on my Signs-build Geralt.
PS. Alchemy tree sucks ass. Especially at the end.

Alchemy is fucking amazing, you need to get good mutagens though.

2AdEPT

can anyone confirm for me what went wrong with my sex scenes? Previously a few months ago I was doing the Roche path and in particular the triss elven garden scene was pretty decent...NOw finally after buying a new rig, I am doing Iorveth path. there were a couple small patches so I installed them when i installed my game via disk as I bought the original version....but now it seems my sex scenes are nerfed!! Its not the OZ nerf as I get to choose the scens...but both the Triss scene and the brothel scenes include no ass and only allude to the sex part! Brief boobage only and no ass! come on! its a tease as is it is! I payed full rpice for the brothel btw.
Especially now doing Iorveth path I feel cheated as the elf scene and the sccubus were a long time coming...esp. with new rig and waaay better quality!

Did the last few patches nerf or did I do something in game to cause this travesty???!

Top Bottom