• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

I imported my Witcher 1 savegame and now I have two kickass weapons and the Raven armor. Was that a good idea? I'm already playing on "Dark" diffulty and not finding it too challenging (probably due to my OP items). The Witcher 1 was way too easy (even on hard) for my liking.

I imported my Witcher 1 savegame and now I have two kickass weapons and the Raven armor. Was that a good idea? I'm already playing on "Dark" diffulty and not finding it too challenging (probably due to my OP items). The Witcher 1 was way too easy (even on hard) for my liking.
They're mostly obsolete halfway through Act 1 so it's not a huge boost, just a bit of a nostalgic perk to get you started.

I've only finished the game once back when it was released, EE with all the recent patches sound amazing for a second playthrough, I'm waiting for my 690 GTX to play it 60fps 1600p with ubersampling on.

I can run it right now ubersampled but 20-30fps is awful.

witcher22012-06-2713-qwk0a.png

witcher22012-06-2712-gpqto.png

witcher22012-06-2713-ewr2b.png

moojito

So I finally managed to clear out enough disk space to start downloading this, even though I bought it during last year's steam winter sale. Is there a consensus about whether kbam or the 360 pad would be better for this, or is it personal preference?

MrBig

So I finally managed to clear out enough disk space to start downloading this, even though I bought it during last year's steam winter sale. Is there a consensus about whether kbam or the 360 pad would be better for this, or is it personal preference?

I was playing it with both and had no issues with either.

So I'm hitting this up now, about 15 hours in (part way through chapter 2 I believe) and I'm honestly really on the fence about continuing on or not. 's not even me trying to rag on The Witcher 2 or not, it just might be my tastes kinda moving on from this type of RPG.

On the plus side, the game looks great and the story (both the main plot and the subquests) is dang unique and interesting. But I just find myself engaging is some really repetitive behavior that seems pretty disrespectful of my limited gaming time budget. For example, in chapter 2 so far I've played like four hours or so, yet in that time I've only cleared like two areas, only battled with like three actual monster types and I've had to run back and forth over the town and surrounding area for probably half the time. I get a message to go find something, I go grab it and have to bring it back to report in. Then I have to find someone else in town, talk to them, then they send me out to the same area to grab item B. So annoying, especially with the layout of Vergen.

And the combat seems like it has tons of potential, but really has not been engaging to me. As of now the skill trees have not really unlocked anything that changes my basic combat routine. I still have all the same signs and most of the same sword maneuvers, just with increased levels of effectiveness and small changes. 15 hours in and even at medium or high difficulty levels all that really seems required out of me from the combat is to keep my Quen up and roll out of danger when it falls, then I just hack around at the enemies when required. The bombs and potions subsystems have the potential to make this more interesting, but they both A. Involve somewhat big time sinks of finding items in the wild, finding or buying diagrams, finding the correct person to craft things for you and B. As of now nothing in the combat game has required me to make any use of those abilities. I'm not about to try to work at making the combat more dynamic if the game is both going to make it a fiddly process to do so and not require that ability in the game.

Honestly, typing all that out and I sound really negative. I really have enjoyed some parts, particularly when they are going for an interesting setpiece. But when my gaming time is sometimes just an hour or two a week I just can't stand all the annoying time sinks that I keep running into with this game.

I understand what you mean by having a little time to play (I was in that period pretty much the whole May and June) but I don't see those "time sinks" as you described. I absolutely loved the game. Top to bottom, 10/10. One of the best games I've played in a while. Your "time sinks" were my "exploring the world and enjoying". I don't know how else to put it.
I get that this game is not everyone's cup of tea. For me, it's brilliant.

I understand what you mean by having a little time to play (I was in that period pretty much the whole May and June) but I don't see those "time sinks" as you described. I absolutely loved the game. Top to bottom, 10/10. One of the best games I've played in a while. Your "time sinks" were my "exploring the world and enjoying". I don't know how else to put it.
I get that this game is not everyone's cup of tea. For me, it's brilliant.

Yeah, I tried to temper the criticism. I can see a really good game in there, just doesn't seem to suit my current tastes very well. I think I'll park it for a while and play another game or two, maybe if I come back to it later I might be able to push past this current annoying part and get on with it. It's what about 25 hours or so? Might just do a "move down to easy and go for broke for the ending" then.

Just kills me too much now to have these continual 30-45 min chunks where I'm not doing anything story or combat wise.

Yeah, I tried to temper the criticism. I can see a really good game in there, just doesn't seem to suit my current tastes very well. I think I'll park it for a while and play another game or two, maybe if I come back to it later I might be able to push past this current annoying part and get on with it. It's what about 25 hours or so? Might just do a "move down to easy and go for broke for the ending" then.
Depends on the amount of side quests you do and the difficulty. AFAIK, people say it's between 20-35/40hrs. It really depends on how you play it. #CaptainObivous :)
Just kills me too much now to have these continual 30-45 min chunks where I'm not doing anything story or combat wise.
I don't see the logic here. In what RPG are you constantly playing a story with absolutely no side questing, gearing up, exploring, etc.? What you described is a natural part of the game. That's why I said "exploring the world" in my first reply. I enjoyed the "main" quests as much as I enjoyed those little ones (fetch this, kill that, etc.) because I was exploring the world and building Geralt the way I wanted.
Maybe you're "in a wrong place" right now (as you said it) so you can't really appreciate the game (I know I've been in the same position with other games).
Or maybe this type of game just isn't for you. I mean no disrespect (that you're a n00b or something) just that maybe the story/quests, hell, game mechanics in general aren't to your taste. It's possible you know. :)

Izick

(Reposted from another thread:)

Okay, so I have three days off in a row from work, and I was thinking about finally playing some video games. So, I have Witcher 2, and I think I'm a bit through Act 1 or 2 (I beat the prologue and was in the first town or so) and I'm not sure, should I restart the game, or just push on?

(Reposted from another thread:)

Okay, so I have three days off in a row from work, and I was thinking about finally playing some video games. So, I have Witcher 2, and I think I'm a bit through Act 1 or 2 (I beat the prologue and was in the first town or so) and I'm not sure, should I restart the game, or just push on?
Well do you like the game or not? o_O Why do you feel you need to restart it? Missed a lot of quests, unhappy with how you built Geralt so far (in terms of skills) or...?

Izick

Well do you like the game or not? o_O Why do you feel you need to restart it? Missed a lot of quests, unhappy with how you built Geralt so far (in terms of skills) or...?

No, no, no nothing like that. I loved the game and Geralt was coming along fine, but I haven't played it since like a week or so after it came out. It was nothing against the game, I've just had a lot of rough shit happen in the past several months and I actually didn't want to play the game because I felt my mood and everything going on wasn't the right mindset for it.

Dries

Goddamn those dwarfs in Vergen are just so... awesome and loveable. Such great characters. How can this game be so good? It's amazing. Also, the whole town of Vergen is just breathtaking. Such an awesome town and art style.

Mothman91

There's no "fast travel" in the game, is there? Just beat the
kraken(?) krayen? forgot what it was called

Just bought it a couple of days ago, getting use to the 360 controller, feels right to me. Any tips and tricks you guys can offer me? Gets a bit challenging once I vs a few opponents at once...have to use a few bombs each time.

There's no "fast travel" in the game, is there? Just beat the
kraken(?) krayen? forgot what it was called
nope, no fast travel. walk the walk, bro. :)
Just bought it a couple of days ago, getting use to the 360 controller, feels right to me. Any tips and tricks you guys can offer me? Gets a bit challenging once I vs a few opponents at once...have to use a few bombs each time.
Well there are lots of tips. Look at older posts in particular.
This helps, too: http://www.gamebanshee.com/thewitcher2/walkthrough/gameplaytips.php

Dries

Are the cats in the 360 version? My girlfriend can't seem to find any, and I'm literally tripping over them in the PC version.

Meier

Started the 360 version last night. pretty solid although if this were on PC, I'd turn down the mouse sensitivity.. I can't believe that isn't an option.. it's REALLY sensitive.

The Triss boobies are the beginning were appreciated although it's too bad that asshole had to interrupt. Finished the escape from the dungeon bit and then had to turn it off. I forgot how slow the combat can be.. I can't remember if you get a healing spell or what but I need something soon. Combat is brutal w/o the ability to heal during it!

The controls are a little cumbersome in general with the controller, but I think it could work. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Minsc

Gold Member
GOG is telling me they updated the art book. With what?

GOG said:
we’ve added some great extras to The Witcher and The Witcher 2:
- new print-ready HD version of the TW2EE artbook--that’s 332 MB of the pure awesomeness
- seven “Behind the Scenes” videos for The Witcher
- 14 video interviews with the creators of The Witcher
- metal music video advertising The Witcher

Mostly just lower compression, so the quality is nicer now.

Yeah, image quality took a huge drop between the original release's Art Book and the Enhanced Edition's art book. Looks like this corrects that.

Kerub

Banned
I'm doing my third playthrough and I can't decide if
I should team up with Iorveth or Roche
. ;_;

The game is still fantastic though.

I'm doing my third playthrough and I can't decide if
I should team up with Iorveth or Roche
. ;_;

The game is still fantastic though.
If you chose to
rescue Triss
in one of the playthroughs, I'd say go with that side again so you can do the other option that you missed when you get to that act.

Wasp

I've just about finished this game for the second time now. I think Roche's path was the better one.

Still never got the damn Poker achievement for rolling five of a kind at dice poker. I did four of a kind several times but never five.

Rage had a similar achievement for rolling four targets in the first round of Tombstones but in that game you could just keep pressing the A button over and over again whilst watching TV or something until you got it, but in The Witcher 2 you have to watch what you're doing.

Got to Act 2 last night (360 version) and this game is incredible. I am actually blown away at how good it looks on the 360, big Kudos to CD Projekt Red for giving their all in everything they do.

Question about gear: Aside from the chest piece from Loredo's garden and the Boots from the Kings (Act 2) stash, I haven't found many good pieces; are most of them made through crafting or am I in for some good stuff in Act 2?

Dries

Got to Act 2 last night (360 version) and this game is incredible. I am actually blown away at how good it looks on the 360, big Kudos to CD Projekt Red for giving their all in everything they do.

Question about gear: Aside from the chest piece from Loredo's garden and the Boots from the Kings (Act 2) stash, I haven't found many good pieces; are most of them made through crafting or am I in for some good stuff in Act 2?

Usually, the best armour in each Act is solely created by said crafting diagrams.

Dries

So in Act 2/Iorveth when your tasked to retrieve the
Dun banner in the dwarven catacombs you have the choice to decieve the wraith by convincing him you were once under the Dun banner yourself and therefore claim the banner.
Now I just guessed every answer and re-loaded if I picked a wrong one. I was wondering if there is another way though? Can you find books about the battle and really research the subject before guessing answers?

Dresden

Dun banner in the dwarven catacombs you have the choice to decieve the wraith by convincing him you were once under the Dun banner yourself and therefore claim the banner.
Now I just guessed every answer and re-loaded if I picked a wrong one. I was wondering if there is another way though? Can you find books about the battle and really research the subject before guessing answers?

You can get all the answers in Roche's path. I'd done that first so I had no trouble here. Don't know if there are books available.

gabbo

Cecil does give you some background information on that if you talk to him about that battle.
It won't fill you in on everything, but it gives you some useful pointers.

Just finished my second play through (first since EE), with Iorveth this time. Not sure which I liked better, though
not having to kill Saskia felt right, and in retrospect makes doing so the first time through seem horrible.
I haven't asked or looked it up prior to now, does the dice-playing GOG monk in Flatsom actually provide something if you fulfill that little quest? I did it once when the game first came out, but accidentally overwrote the savegame file and don't recall it doing anything at the time.

http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/265

A long hot summer usually means that it’s time to stop playing games and go outside, right? Wrong! A long hot summer means that it’s time to take advantage of some sweet deals taking place during the Steam Summer Sale and fire up your Steam copy of “The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings” because we’ve prepared something special for everyone who’s bought the game on that platform. Now, it’s not going to be easy to find it, but we encourage everyone to try, because there might be an achievement waiting for you down the road… Here's a little information that might help you a bit:

“Midaëte, or Midsummer, is the day of the summer solstice and marks the beginning of the first month of summer in the elven solar calendar. Elves believe that all things under the sun occur in cycles. After Midaëte the days grow shorter and the dying commences - to last until the winter solstice. Summer Shrines erected on this day give praise to the sun and life, while acknowledging death's certainty.”

We realize that the hint given above might not be much, but we’re confident that you will manage to solve our little riddle anyway. Make sure to let us know in the comments, once you’ve figured it out. As mentioned earlier, the in-game change applies only for the Steam version of our game.

just got an 81.2 mb patch also

Dresden

I haven't asked or looked it up prior to now, does the dice-playing GOG monk in Flatsom actually provide something if you fulfill that little quest? I did it once when the game first came out, but accidentally overwrote the savegame file and don't recall it doing anything at the time.

No, he just gives you some discounts on old games, which doesn't even work anymore iirc.

Veezy

que?
Quick question:

Are the cut scenes really taxing on the GPU? I'm running an i7 2.3 CPU, OC'd 660mM GPU, and 16GB of RAM and I have to have everything disabled and at low to get 30 FPS on the cut scenes but the game play goes to 50+. Is this just how it is?

I've started my first play through of this, and was wondering if any one had any tips on inventory management?

Specifically what should i be spending my orens on (i'm guessing schematics) and what exactly to keep an eye out for when looting (instead of everything you come by)

Dresden

I've started my first play through of this, and was wondering if any one had any tips on inventory management?

Specifically what should i be spending my orens on (i'm guessing schematics) and what exactly to keep an eye out for when looting (instead of everything you come by)

Loot everything, store materials, sell unneeded gear and junk.

Orens for schematics to weapon upgrades, bombs, etc along with any materials you'll need.

Loot everything, store materials, sell unneeded gear and junk.

Orens for schematics to weapon upgrades, bombs, etc along with any materials you'll need.
So, pretty much like Witcher 1. thanks

Breezed through prologue. Stepped out out of Flotsam and immediately got demolished by two giant crabs. Good times.

Dries

Damn, how do you use the harpy traps to disarm the nests? Can someone give me a hint or push in the right direction?

Top Bottom