• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Lime said:
The lighting was updated to look more natural.

From Digital Foundry article said:
Also interesting is that the developer has re-evaluated how to light its characters - in the original edition, there was definitely a sense that Geralt and company were somewhat unnaturally illuminated in order to make them pop out of darker surroundings; the difference now is that they appear to sit much more comfortably within the environments, with the addition - where necessary - of appropriately placed light sources. The enhancements don't stop there either: in places, both levels and characters have benefitted from tweaks and outright revisions to the core artwork, again lending them a more natural look.

Lime

The lighting was updated to look more natural.

I don't see how missing graphical effects make it appear more natural. The shots I've posted are missing the glow effects casted by in-game light sources, e.g. the fireball or the blue magic teleport device.

But the changes are supposed to be like this, right? It's not something to do with my hardware/software?

Can anyone get me a save for the new mission in Act 3 on Roches path on the PC version? Just finished up my second playthrough on Iorveth's path there, and want to go and try out the new mission they added to Roche's path in chapter 3, so if someone could let me know where I could get a save like that, I'd be very grateful!

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't see how missing graphical effects make it appear more natural. The shots I've posted are missing the glow effects casted by in-game light sources, e.g. the fireball or the blue magic teleport device.

But the changes are supposed to be like this, right? It's not something to do with my hardware/software?

Supposedly the lighting changes didn't make it into the PC version so I dunno what changed with your setup. Maybe its a driver issue or something to do with the settings? I've only played the console.

teiresias

Can someone help me out. I'm in Chapter 3 and would like to get the
Vran armor, but there's a locked gate in the sewer past the wisp that I can't unlock, so I can't get to the chest that apparently is further into the sewers (and there aren't any Bullvores here, which some FAQs have said there should be - just rotfiends), and I cannot find a key or find anyone to give me any way to get into it deeper.

Is this something I'm screwed out of due to going with Roche, or will this area unlock later in the chapter? The few missable quests here at the end of the game are really starting to annoy me, luckily, one of the other ones I just happened to have kept the right alchemy materials for.

Any help on the sewers would be great.

Complistic

I don't think the vran armor is down there. Search the wiki though and it'll tell you everything you need to know. I love that armor.

Can someone help me out. I'm in Chapter 3 and would like to get the
Vran armor, but there's a locked gate in the sewer past the wisp that I can't unlock, so I can't get to the chest that apparently is further into the sewers (and there aren't any Bullvores here, which some FAQs have said there should be - just rotfiends), and I cannot find a key or find anyone to give me any way to get into it deeper.
Did you do the Mystic River quest in chapters 1 and 2? Because if you did the
diagram and materials should be in one of 2 chests in front of that locked gate. The Bullvores don't show up there all the time. You were in the right place and don't need access to that locked gate at all.

Dries

So I'm doing my second playthrough with a 360 controller, but the radial menu isn't working great yet. When I pop it up with LT I have to move my stick once, and only after that it'll respond. So I can't use the radial menu at once, I have to move my stick once for it to respond. Anyone else recognize this?

teiresias

Did you do the Mystic River quest in chapters 1 and 2? Because if you did the
diagram and materials should be in one of 2 chests in front of that locked gate. The Bullvores don't show up there all the time. You were in the right place and don't need access to that locked gate at all.

Hmm, I'll go back and check, I may have just missed the chest since I didn't bother to use a cat potion down in the sewer and maybe just didn't see it. Thanks.

So I'm doing my second playthrough with a 360 controller, but the radial menu isn't working great yet. When I pop it up with LT I have to move my stick once, and only after that it'll respond. So I can't use the radial menu at once, I have to move my stick once for it to respond. Anyone else recognize this?
Yeah, you have to pick the category first (Signs or items) and then pick what you want. Not nearly as smooth as all the other radials in the world, including Witcher 2's 360 version.

It was a side effect of an early fix to another UI issue with analog navigation.

Dries

Yeah, you have to pick the category first (Signs or items) and then pick what you want. Not nearly as smooth as all the other radials in the world, including Witcher 2's 360 version.

It was a side effect of an early fix to another UI issue with analog navigation.

Ah I see, but it's also when I want to meditate. I have two press LT and A two times, instead of just once A. Kinda annoying.

Finally got this game on 360, really looking forward to spending some time with it.

How long can I expect a playthrough to take? Side quests and all. Hoping for a very long game.

How long can I expect a playthrough to take? Side quests and all. Hoping for a very long game.
30-40 hrs? Depending on your skill, ofc.

But you really need to do 2 playthroughs in order to appreciate most of the game. I deliberately said most, not all. This game is nonlinear to hell. :)

30-40 hrs? Depending on your skill, ofc.

But you really need to do 2 playthroughs in order to appreciate most of the game. I deliberately said most, not all. This game is nonlinear to hell. :)

Wow that's pretty good. My skill isn't high, I'm a relative beginner when it comes to RPG's like this, so I should get good mileage out of it.

Good to hear about the multiple playthroughs, I'm not usually one to replay games (at least quickly after completion) but I have heard that there is a lot of fresh experiences should one choose to :)

iavi

Great news! Those PC numbers sound a bit low though; I thought they had confirmed larger pc specific ones a while ago.

Dries

So I'm playing Dark mode and almost up to the point where I have to start spending talents on the three major trees. On my first playthrough I already maxed out the swordmanship tree, so I'm wanting to explore one of the other two. Is there a consensus whether alchemy or magic is preferable for Dark mode? Of maybe a mix of both...?

I've had this for a while and wanted to start playing it today, however in game, I get a prompt to open the inventory using gi_exit 1. I go to the options menu to try and bind the key

to up on the d-pad but it's not letting me "ok" the choice. So annoying.

Anyone know how I get this to work?

RedAssedApe

Banned
They were claiming it bombed due to not meeting their own personal expectations.

People were speculating based on NPD that the 360 sales were much lower than even the 500K figure. Anyhow...this bodes well considering there was little to no advertising done. Hopefully sales continue via word of mouth.

Dresden

So I'm playing Dark mode and almost up to the point where I have to start spending talents on the three major trees. On my first playthrough I already maxed out the swordmanship tree, so I'm wanting to explore one of the other two. Is there a consensus whether alchemy or magic is preferable for Dark mode? Of maybe a mix of both...?

My two runs on Dark were magic the first time, alchemy the second, and while alchemy was by far the easier (so much damage once you get those mutagens rolling), magic works just fine.

Magic is nice in that you get the best adrenaline skill, but they're also fragile since you don't get to use Quen even in its nerfed form, as you need the regen for Igni spam. It was interesting on some fights because one hit meant I was dead. Igni rapes, by the way.

2AdEPT

My two runs on Dark were magic the first time, alchemy the second, and while alchemy was by far the easier (so much damage once you get those mutagens rolling), magic works just fine.

Magic is nice in that you get the best adrenaline skill, but they're also fragile since you don't get to use Quen even in its nerfed form, as you need the regen for Igni spam. It was interesting on some fights because one hit meant I was dead. Igni rapes, by the way.

I did the magic tree and igni was the only one I DIDN't use much! LOL maybe that's why a couple fights like the dragon and operator took so long for me. I relied heavily on AArd and quen and occasionally axii or yrden. If I couldn't do it with magic I jut trapped the shit out of the area...this worked for monsters and stuff on the ground....but obviously the dragon was a different kind of fight....it was a given I was using potions the whole way as well. one health, one vigor refresh, one health regen usually I think.

Frillen

I've never played any of the Witcher games, but gonna buy this one shortly. Just one question (probably been answered a billion times but I'm too lazy to read through the thread). How's the enemy scaling in this game? Is it like Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim or Oblivion?

Complistic

No it's not like a bethesda game. Enemies are each at a set level in each area and you'll notice it getting easier as you level up.

Lulubop

Patch 3.2 is out

http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/257

Patch 3.2 is a UI modification for the PC version of The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition. The mod adds the following enhancements to the game. It can be used optionally (enabled by default) by players when installed. You can disable it in Configurator DLC Menu.
Minimap: Adds a north arrow.

Alchemy: Crafting slots show how many ingredients there are; better default ingredient selection (e.g., not having to filter out quest item ingredients all the time); un-rotates alchemy element symbols; saves custom ingredient selection for a formula (until you close the panel or go to another formula, but no longer resetting every time you create something).

Tooltips: Taller, and scroll faster.
Inventory/Trading/Storage: Sorting buttons (sort by time acquired, name, aggregate weight, aggegrate price.) Reversible sort also possible.
Trading: Places a checkmark next to books, formulas, and crafting diagrams that you already have in your inventory.

Crafting: Shows how many items you have instead of capping the number at how many are required. E.g., 30/3 instead of 3/3.

Other: Sorts some lists alphabetically: crafting, alchemy, elixirs.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
loaded the game and can't see what the mod/patch does. There are four new icons in the inventory screen, they sort items in the same way (for me at least).

Kydd BlaZe

Just bought this game on the 360. About to sink my teeth into it when I get off work this afternoon. Been hearing nothing but good things about this game, so I figured I'd see what all the fuss is about. Can't wait!

Dries

So far Dark mode hasn't been hard at all.

Even the Kayran was a breeze, but of course that fight isn't hard at all once you know the drill. It was raining and night time, so that fight was fucking epic.

TheMan

got this game from gamefly a while ago but haven't put that much time into it yet. so far, i'm not digging the combat. swordplay feels somewhat laggy and unresponsive. also, i'm usually not a fan of having to keep track of tons of different charms and spells. maybe that will change as I get used to the controls but as of now the witcher 2 isn't grabbing me as much as I thought it would :(

Guess we'll repost the patch notes with some extra formatting.

Minimap: Adds a north arrow

Alchemy:
Crafting slots show how many ingredients there are.
Better default ingredient selection (e.g., not having to filter out quest item ingredients all the time).
Un-rotates alchemy element symbols.
Saves custom ingredient selection for a formula (until you close the panel or go to another formula, but no longer resetting every time you create something).​

Tool tips: Taller, and scroll faster.

Inventory/Trading/Storage: Sorting Buttons (Reverse sort also possible)
  • Name
  • Time Acquired
  • Aggregate weight
  • Aggregate price
Trading: Places a check mark next to books, formulas, and crafting diagrams that you already have in your inventory.

Crafting: Shows how many items you have instead of capping the number at how many are required. E.g., 30/3 instead of 3/3.

Other: Some lists now alphabetical by default: crafting, alchemy, elixirs.

That battle for Vergen is fucking epic. I did this game up in May of last year, but I never got around to replaying it for the EE enhancements. Game kicks the snot out of ME3. (Played both on PC)

2AdEPT

Wow I wonder if its the patch or my game is fucked or what...please before you say my reflexes must suck or something, this is not the case.....but I went back for a second run through the gme to do the iorveth path instead of roche.....I always have a tough tim eon kayran, but got through it on dark before and now I am trying normal.......problem is that I just can't stay on the friggin kayran tentacle when it comes around for me to jump on...I get on ok then when it says to press X repeated I do and fall off EVERY time. I have tried maybe 50 times the last hour. Each time trying to change settings like the QTE difficult, the overall difficulty (which just added the y to mount and I was ok at that but same shit for not letting me sstsay on the tentacle)....I tried buffing my sword, using the wrong sword, presssing x in all sorts of cadences...even tried switching to keyboard and mouse....nothing works......has this happened to anyone else? If I press really fast then the meter does not go up...if I press more slwoy it fills the meter....but still bucks me off....is there somethign I am misssing that I was able to fluke out on the first paythrough or am I really fuccked now?

edit: finally fixed this but had to drop the settings lower than 1080...720 worked for me. Apparently it was a lag issue....but not sure why I could do it previously and not now as my settings were higher the first run through.

Top Bottom