• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Expansion Pass announced - $25

Deadstar

You only have to look at how much outrage there was at Capcom's SFxTK or RE5 DLC, or, more recently, Turtlerock's Evolve DLC, to see how differently CDPR is treated.

CDPR should be treated differently because they are not selling you a skin pack for $30. There's a huge difference between this expansion and a game like Evolve. Evolve and the Witcher should not ever be mentioned in the same sentence when talking about dlc. All of the witcher 3 small bits of dlc will be free. No paying for skins and haircuts, it's all free.

They are charging for an expansion pack, which if you think that expansion means dlc, let me put it another way. They are charging for 30+ hours of content. If you're not a fan don't buy it. It seems people here don't know CDPR's track record. The Witcher 2 was an amazing game, one of the best I have ever played. I have full confidence in them to deliver. A lot of people might be too young to understand what an expansion pack is. Back in the old days we used to get these things called expansion packs which added a significant amount of content to a game without being nickel and dimed. It was a glorious time to be a live. No one complained. If you liked the game you bought the expansion.

This^

Don't get me wrong, I love when games get new content, but announcing them before the game's even released is just shitty. I get that the team has tons of time to work on expansions whenever the game goes gold or whatever, and that's fine, make expansions. But don't announce them before the game is even on store shelves.

i think is because the best time to sell the season pass is right now, backed by data and some retail gaffers (look for the posts in this thread)

honestly though no matter how the CDPR team is full of nice people they aint doing charity and is just business, they have done anything possible to do right to us consumers (heavy discounts and what not).

You only have to look at how much outrage there was at Capcom's SFxTK or RE5 DLC, or, more recently, Turtlerock's Evolve DLC, to see how differently CDPR is treated.
SFxTK was already on the disk. Evolve announced the DLC when they announced the game!

erawsd

I dont really care about DLC eitherway. However, Im not sure these two are the same thing...

evolve_zps8ic6xydc.png~original

w3_zpsclayiqki.png~original

Skilletor

Hackers got to use the characters in SFxT like 6 months before I could even buy them.

How is this comparable?

And I don't even care about that. I was perfectly fine paying 60 bucks for SFxT because it had a fuckton of characters out the gate, over half the roster was brand new as far as gameplay went.

Soph

Great thread, made me laugh a lot. I'm unsure about buying the expansion packs as of yet, since I don't know whether I'll enjoy the main game. Looking forward to the free DLC as well, feels a lot like how Paradox and other PC developers treat their customers.

I'll definitely make sure my brothers can play my game as well, since sharing is caring.

4Tran

While some DLC are expansion packs, expansion packs are still fundamentally different from what most of us would think of as DLC. Expansion packs have a long history in PC gaming, and in fact they are still common. CD Projekt Red is merely extending this practice to the Witcher games for the first time. From the sounds of things, the content in these expansions are adventures which wouldn't fit for the main game. This is precisely the kind of material that's ripe for expansions. I don't see why anyone has cause to decry this at this point.

man the expansion packs are almost as long as most games now a days..

this game could really be special

do you guys think The Witcher 3 could be "The Greatest RPG in the history of gaming"

or is that stretching it a little bit too far

Given their history most fans are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but we been burned too many times by the AAA industry on matters that involve post launch DLC so I don't blame people for having a sour taste in their mouth or their first reaction being that it was cut content.

Burned too many times? Please. Hold a gun to my head and extract the money from my quivering wallet. There's nothing I can do except sit here and moan longingly into the abyss...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Pfffft if anything they announce the DLCs so early is actually a good thing since you'd just know a LARGE contingent of people in GAF will buy them immediately and thus anyone not buying them will soon find out whether they suck or not, lol.

My main concern about this game is actually whether I'll like it or not considering boy, while it DOES seem like a HUGE RPG, which is just my drug man, I haven't played the previous 2 yet and it kind of feels wrong for me to start with a number 3 without 1 and 2.

And nah, I don't have a PC so don't tell me to just play 1 now. I *guess* I *can* play 2 if I want since it's on consoles as well but meh, it would also feel "not right" since I didn't play 1.

Mehhhh, dilemma, dilemma.

Daingurse

My main concern about this game is actually whether I'll like it or not considering boy, while it DOES seem like a HUGE RPG, which is just my drug man, I haven't played the previous 2 yet and it kind of feels wrong for me to start with a number 3 without 1 and 2.

And nah, I don't have a PC so don't tell me to just play 1 now. I *guess* I *can* play 2 if I want since it's on consoles as well but meh, it would also feel "not right" since I didn't play 1.

Mehhhh, dilemma, dilemma.

I really enjoyed my Witcher 1 play-thrum and consider it to be a excellent game, but I'd say personally that you can jump into 2 without having many reservations. It would definitely enrichen the experience to play the first game, but I think you can defintely enjoy The Witcher 2 without it. That was literally my first observation when I first started playing Witcher 2. I was trying my best to beat the Witcher 1 in the lead-up to the second game's release, and when all was said and done, thought my efforts were unnecessary. Still, if you ever do get a PC I'd play it, because I do think it's a damn fine game. Definitely some jankiness present though lol.

And hell, you want some real context to the games? Read the books. I'm reading Blood of Elves currently, and it is getting me fucking hype for Witcher 3. I just want to get back in that world.

JP

Not sure if I'll be buying it but I'm not seeing anything here that contradicts what they've said all along. No issues with this, I'll decide after I've played the game for a while whether I need the extra stuff and whether it's worth the asking price to me.
Just pre-orderd the Witcher 3 Expansion Pass bundle from the PSN on my US account.

There are two major games coming out next month that I can think of and I wanted to pre-order one on my US account (money taken when I pre-order) and one for my UK account (money taken when it's released) so I'm not paying for both the same month. The two games were this and Project Cars.

Comparing the prices for this between the two regions made the choice for me, with the pre-order discount on the US store the Witcher 3 bundle was $69.23 as I had just over $7 on the account already. $70 of cards for the US account cost me $73.44 which works out at around £49 which is £2 more expensive that the UK game without the Expansion Pass

Although I was going to wait to get the expansions until after I'd played the game paying that price and being able to pay now was too good an opportunity to miss. It may seem strange to some but I absolutely love that the US and UK Store's handle pre-order payment differently.

But everything cosmetic, CDPR are offering for free. How on earth can you compare the DLC model for the Witcher 3 to the model used in Evolve with a straight face. It's night and day.

Top Bottom