• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 gameplay video - "Precious Cargo"

What is this from?

Age of Uprising. It's not great, but Mads is.

hgnf6pj.gif

Aangster

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it takes place
after the invasion has already succeeded? Nilfgaard basically controls the North at this point, I think.

Not quite.
Although the Emperor has taken control of Temeria and set up shop in Vizima, there's a lot of territory to cover, not to mention the minor kingdoms much further north that funded anti-Nilfgaardian efforts during previous wars. It's made clear that Radovid's forces have stalled further Nilfgaardian advances

Wow, that combat looks janky as hell. The animation is awful, and it takes a second for him to twirl around before the sword strikes. The hits have no impact. You can barely tell if the strike landed. It's a Witcher game all right.

patapuf

I respectfully disagree; and you're not making a case why they shouldn't. I think you are expecting too much from the audience. As a basis for comparison, not everyone needs to know when a scene doesn't work in a movie because a producer decided that the film's budget needed to be cut, for example.

My goal is to judge the end result, not dabble into the behind the curtain stuff.

If, like you said, you take genre into account when judging i have a hard time pointing out an RPG that does the NPC stuff better.

and if you don't, a short cinematic campaign will always surpass anything with scale in terms of animation/acting. That's just how it is. The only open world game with a budget to compete with those is GTA and that releases once every 5 years and has very few NPC's you can interact with.

I respectfully disagree; and you're not making a case why they shouldn't. I think you are expecting too much from the audience. As a basis for comparison, not everyone needs to know when a scene doesn't work in a movie because a producer decided that the film's budget needed to be cut, for example.

My goal is to judge the end result, not dabble into the behind the curtain stuff.
Behind the curtain stuff gives me a better impression of the end result personally. Say someone cooked a full course meal for me, and without any other information given, I eat it, find it to be so-so. Say instead that person told me they cooked that meal in 10 minutes with only 3 ingredients, I'd be far more impressed. It's just an arbitrary analogy but my point is background information helps with impression.

I just don't look at it as black and white as you or some others, that's all. We can agree to disagree though, it's no biggie.

Why wouldn't they use motion capture? Any source?
If you mean for faces, it's because of money. Way too expensive for an RPG that size and the development budget they have. According to what they say anyway.
When are we getting a good video website that do not compress these videos?
Never heard of Gamersyde?
The lack of blood or sign of injury is only an overlooked details, for a side quest character.
what? if anything there's too much blood.
witcher_3_horse_kill_by_digi_matrix-d8orv8w.gif

UfkilSG.gif

ShoddyGoldenFlounder.gif

Aldia

Banned
I really feel sorry for the people who can't play a game because they're put off by facial animations and movement (which I think are excellent). I'm so happy I can enjoy a game for its gameplay and not for its visuals.

BearPawB

Banned
Lol, everyone in this thread is arguing about the most petty, surface level shit.
This game looks stunning. Just incredible.

What I am more concerned about is the combat.
It just doesn't look very.... deep.

If you mean for faces, it's because of money. Way too expensive for an RPG that size and the development budget they have. According to what they say anyway.
There's another major reason. They have a LOT of different languages for their audio, so mocapping for only one vocal performance wouldn't match all of the others that would have different emphasis on different words.

misho8723

Banned
The animations look awful.

I'm NOT referring to the facial / convo stuff...but the running and combat. Kind of weird having poor running animations in an open world game...and a third person one to boot.

Almost all of open-world game have awfull animations - TES games, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Two Worlds 1+2, Gothic games, Risen games, ...

Only games like AC (which are based about movements) have great animations and GTA games have good enough animations..

I still don't see any problems with the animations in TW3 so far.. it's not AC level great, but even on itself the game has very good animations

Lol, everyone in this thread is arguing about the most petty, surface level shit.
This game looks stunning. Just incredible.

What I am more concerned about is the combat.
It just doesn't look very.... deep.

Why does it have to be? I actually really enjoyed the combat in TW2, and think it looks equally as good in this game. The timing of sword slashes, dodging, and magic looks fun imo.

That reminds me, can Geralt combat roll in this game?

foxtrot3d

Banned
What the hell? People are complaining on the facial animations in this game? Are you crazy? Show me better facial animations in a RPG with more than 800 NPCs.. and even when it comes to videogames, they look fantastic.. LA Noire was praised for it, but in that game they went overboard with it - it looked goofy and silly.. but here, it looks atleast normal

THIS! I was blown away bu those facial animations especially for a open world RPG.

Altairre

Behind the curtain stuff gives me a better impression of the end result personally. Say someone cooked a full course meal for me, and without any other information given, I eat it, find it to be so-so. Say instead that person told me they cooked that meal in 10 minutes with only 3 ingredients, I'd be far more impressed. It's just an arbitrary analogy but my point is background information helps with impression.

I just don't look at it as black and white as you or some others, that's all. We can agree to disagree though, it's no biggie.

You'd be impressed due to the circumstances but the meal would still be so-so and you'd still have payed the same amount of money (I'm just assuming it was a meal you payed for due to the analogy). His point stands. I remember that point being discussed on the bombcast and Jeff Gerstmann said that he's at the point where he knows almost too much about how games are made because ultimately that stuff doesn't and shouldn't matter. If the animations are bad and if it breaks immersion for you then that's a totally legitimate criticisim. It actually reminds me of what Jackie Chan was saying about his movies. "Maybe it rained that day or the actor didn't have enough time. Would you go to every theater and tell the audience? No, the audience sits in the theater and decides, good movie - bad movie, that's all."

If you are the person who actively seeks that stuff out and if that ultimately helps you while playing the game then hey, more power to you (I'm on the same page more often than not). Personally I don't mind the animations at all and if the writing and the rest of the game is as good as we hope it is it'll probably balance out even for the people who do.

So hey guys I'm pretty excited for this but I have a couple questions.

1 is there a decent story recap at all? I've seen a couple of YouTube videos so I kinda of have an idea but I'm still confused as to what is going on and such.

2. Is the combat system something similar to the Arkham series or something else? I watched one of the IGN videos and they guy just kept rolling, and I saw the counterattack prompt only showed up once. So is it more technical or something?

3. There is a dynamic weather system in place right? I know day and night cycles but wasn't sure about weather.

Those are some surface questions I have and I really appreciate any answeres. Thanks.

friday

I love how CDPR can take the "evil empire" of nilfgaurd and humanize them with this little quest. It's something they have always done. What initially seems like a simple decision has an important impact. Its not like there is a good or bad decision either, but both decisions have negative and positive impacts. CDPR is awesome at gray morality.

I love how CDPR can take the "evil empire" of nilfgaurd and humanize them with this little quest. It's something they have always done. What initially seems like a simple decision has an important impact. Its not like there is a good or bad decision either, but both decisions have negative and positive impacts. CDPR is awesome at gray morality.

That's immediately what jumped out to me too in the scene where Geralt confronts the dude. Especially cause I was totally going to let the guy go.

misho8723

Banned
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Video Game Compendium:
Get your hands on “The World of The Witcher” video game compendium and explore the ancient and arcane lore of the series, getting to know the universe’s inhabitants, customs, monsters, history and origins of magic. Available to pre-order now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4xELuRQ490

I give it points for all the extra effort but the quest just came off cheesy to me the way it played out. If it had been an ambush by bandits after Geralt discovers the obvious lies while standing waist deep in a swamp then I would think it was a good side quest.

Some guy making up a big lie that is immediately apparent all to try and trick a WITCHER into doing a fetch quest?

This was my thought too.

Felt very forced.

Isendurl

I give it points for all the extra effort but the quest just came off cheesy to me the way it played out. If it had been an ambush by bandits after Geralt discovers the obvious lies while standing waist deep in a swamp then I would think it was a good side quest.

Some guy making up a big lie that is immediately apparent all to try and trick a WITCHER into doing a fetch quest?

He trick Witcher into it because he couldn't get through drowners, I think that was quite obvious.

AlterOdin

My impression is that it goes a little deeper. You have many choices her, first of just give the box, then if side with rebels or the black army, which again leads to some disease investigation (I am guessing, if not pressing for cash). Also if siding with the rebels could lead to some other quest.

I just guessing here, but feel there are more to it that a regular fetch quest. Also there may be consequences for the choice later, as the witcher-games are know for, but not at this scale.

Can't wait!

RDreamer

Mads would be fucking glorious Geralt. HBO should wrap up GoT already so they can move on filming the Witcher novels with Mads. I would even sacrifice brilliant Hannibal for that.

I've been saying for a while now that Witcher would make an amazing show on HBO after GoT is done and people want more mature fantasy. Fuck I wish they'd do that.

Mads would be fucking glorious Geralt. HBO should wrap up GoT already so they can move on filming the Witcher novels with Mads. I would even sacrifice brilliant Hannibal for that.

And CD project should make a video game that takes place after GOT's ending

If anyone in the world survives the ending,that is

boskee

Damn, what happened to the dynamic meditation that showed the time of the day changing around Geralt. Everyone who saw the game last year talked about it, because it was so damn impressive. Downgrade?

dr_rus

Damn, what happened to the dynamic meditation that showed the time of the day changing around Geralt. Everyone who saw the game last year talked about it, because it was so damn impressive. Downgrade?

You mean the same meditation which was there in TW2 and worked on 360?

TokiDoki

This is why Witcher series sidequesting is still one of the best , so much meat in it . Fkin loathe DA:I sidequests , gimme Witcher anytime .

Are you asking if that feature is in The Witcher 3?I haven't seen it.

Open world games usually do have a way of advancing time. It doesn't necessarily have to be the exact same method that was in The Witcher 2.

boskee

Are you asking if that feature is in The Witcher 3?I haven't seen it.

Open world games usually do have a way of advancing time. It doesn't necessarily have to be the exact same method that was in The Witcher 2.

No, several journalists described meditation in The Witcher 3 as Geralt sitting down while the world behind him transitions from say day to night in a speeded-up manner. It seems this has been removed in the latest build and we only get to see the menu, without actually observing the time passing by. By several accounts it was very impressive graphically with cloud shadows racing by etc.

Rock Paper Shotgun said:
Earlier we’d seen Geralt meditate, and watched as the sky rolled around, and the weather transformed in accelerated time. It’s hardly a surprise when big budget games look incredible, these days, but moments like that nevertheless grasped me by the eyeballs.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/23/eyes-on-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/

RPGSite said:
In The Witcher, Geralt can meditate to pass time, and in that, you see a time lapse, the sky moving. Initially it was that rotating texture, but it was really in your face. I said no, no, we've got to make something better than this. I'm going to make sure that we have a nice panning sky that actually travels. The sky composes the image, in an artistic sense.

http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/3663-talking-visual-fx-passion-witchers-with-cd-projekt-red

Top Bottom