• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 has been delayed to May 19, 2015.

Sakura

Gotta' love the internet.

Game gets released in an unfinished, broken state = "they should have delayed it to fix these issues."

Game gets delayed in order to avoid this = "WTF? That totally screws up my game playing schedule for spring. They don't know what they're doing, they're in development hell."

Just because the game has been delayed doesn't mean it won't be 'unfinished' or broken when it finally does release.

Guri

The Witcher 3 has a 10% discount for preorders on PSN. At that time it was the only preorder on the digital store with that offer.

You can get 20% off on GOG (if you own TW1 and TW2) since June. I don't think there's a specific reason related to the delay here. Seems like every store had/has a discount.

But I thought there would be no more delays

That said, when a game comesout, I expect it to be functional and bug-free. I don't want more of that Ubisoft/EA bullshit.

Dawg

The thing I want to know is why this happened:

B4WUqk1CMAEbjq1.jpg:large
B4WUqg2CYAI29II.jpg:large

The original design was god-tier villain design. It was incredible. The new one is super bland. I don't even care if the textures weren't that good because of a bad trailer or whatever, the entire design changed and I don't like it.

Lakitu

st5fu
So the first half of the year is going to be pretty empty for me. This is shitty news but I can understand if they want to polish.

This fucking sucks, but it's not the end of the world. At least CDPR isn't rushing it, they get points for that at least. Gives me time to finish the books at the very least.

I just wanna kill monsters :(

There seems to be a lot of downplaying about the questions about Witcher 3 in here.

1. We had a verified insider saying the game is having major dev issues and the entire staff in crunch time for over 1 year.

2. There have now been 2 delays totaling up to 7 months for the game to be pushed back.

3. We just had a trailer last week that the entire community recognized as seriously downgraded.

There was a time Witcher 3 supposedly looked like this

2504400-7932559264-23989.gif

listen I live the Witcher franchise as much as anyone else but there are some serious warning signs going on that something is very off with its development.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On the bright side, that gives the GPU industry a bit more time to release the latest hot shit.

Nabbis

They can delay it by two years for all i care. I want a product based on the original vision as much as possible.

I don't see how a delay is indicitive of quality problems - CD Projekt have given us no reason to doubt them thus far. They've established a practice of releasing free "remasters"/enhanced editions of their games (complete with optional combat mods made by, I believe, the lead designer of the game) and have championed things like digital ownership of software, region-free pricing, and even gaming goodies. Sure, the Witcher 1 was a little rocky on release, but that was largely due to the poor engine it used, and CDPR went on to fix the problems anyways. Since the first game's release they have not wavered from their ideals, and I don't see that changing in the future.

CD Projekt is no EA (or Ubisoft). They will do what Bioware couldn't and release a fitting end to an epic RPG trilogy, perhaps even on their first try.

Yoda

-snip-
1. We had a verified ibsider saying the game is having major dev issues and the entire staff in crunch time for over 1 year.

This is what has me worried most. That kind of delay + conditions point to something that had to get redesigned from the ground up. This isn't a delay to remove bugs or optimize the game for better visuals from how I see it.

Staf

If it means a more polished game i'm all for it. Considering the recently buggy releases in Unity, Halo and to a lesser extent, Dragon age, i applaud this.

There seems to be a lot of downplaying about the questions about Witcher 3 in here.

1. We had a verified insider saying the game is having major dev issues and the entire staff in crunch time for over 1 year.

2. There have now been 2 delays totaling up to 7 months for the game to be pushed back.

3. We just had a trailer last week that the entire community recognized as seriously downgraded.

listen I live the Witcher franchise as much as anyone else but there are some serious warning signs going on that something is very off with its development.

Agreed. One of the above in a vacuum and I wouldn't be concerned - all 3 and now I'm worried. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it's not looking good.

pretty much this, i'm worried for the game now too

Geoff9920

That sucks, but I'd rather wait than play a buggy mess. Besides, Pillars of Eternity should take plenty of my time prior to this getting released.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I still am hopeful.

And well, maybe they felt pressure from Dragon Age too. I remember pre release where everybody downplayed DAI in Witcher threads, and it has now won at least one GOTY award. That has to be some pressure for CD Projekt.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1525/15257558/2504400-7932559264-23989.gif

I think at some point someone finally had the balls to say that those graphics weren't possible on next gen consoles. Hence the delays while they try to squeeze what they can onto them.

I always had the suspicion that the scope would be too much for them. I said it multiple times when the game was initially revealed and I still had that little worry all the time.

This. Always felt a bit of that "too good to be true" vibe from this game. A game like this would be very ambitious for ANY developer, including Bioware and Bethesda. And I'm not just talking about the open world either. I want this game very much but at the same time I'm a bit worried.

CDPR shot too high with their ambitions and it's come back to bite them.

This delay doesn't surprise me. The latest trailer looked really rough...like pre-alpha footage and gave me the impression that the game wasn't anywhere close to being finished. Game likely had more serious issues than a lack of polish.

CDPR (and certain other devs) shouldn't announce precise release dates so far in advance, especially for huge games like this. Looks like CDPR acknowledged that in their open letter.

I wouldn't expect Cyberpunk 2077 until 2018 at the earliest. I suspect development of that game is on hiatus currently, and all hands on deck are dedicated to getting The Witcher 3 done.

Caja 117

Well, at leat now I knnow Im going to have time for Bloodborne and finishing Witcher 2, but Man, May is half a year from now.

kpaadet

Niche European RPG that won "most anticipated" prizes everywhere, from neogaf to Game Awards.
Witcher being the only open world RPG on the horizon makes it this gen's Oblivion.

Who do you think vote at these gaming award shows? A niche segment of the gaming audience, if CDRed is expecting Oblivion number of sales they will get disapointed.

diamount

Banned
I don't see how a delay is indicitive of quality problems - CD Projekt have given us no reason to doubt them thus far. They've established a practice of releasing free "remasters"/enhanced editions of their games (complete with optional combat mods made by, I believe, the lead designer of the game) and have championed things like digital ownership of software, region-free pricing, and even gaming goodies. Sure, the Witcher 1 was a little rocky on release, but that was largely due to the poor engine it used, and CDPR went on to fix the problems anyways. Since the first game's release they have not wavered from their ideals, and I don't see that changing in the future.

CD Projekt is no EA (or Ubisoft). They will do what Bioware couldn't and release a fitting end to an epic RPG trilogy, perhaps even on their first try.

Sorry, I'm a fan of CDPR too but they should be called out on misleading customers. No company is above lying if it increase pre-order numbers. I'm sure that is a major incentive for investor funding.

Witcher is my favorite franchise, but now that I'm 50 hours into Inquisition I think I could use the extra time between games.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't see how a delay is indicitive of quality problems - CD Projekt have given us no reason to doubt them thus far.

You can't do anything right in this industry.
No DLC bullshit, free updates, modding support, even more free content, fair pricing and a whole bunch of extra content in the normal retail box but delay a game one time to many and have one guy on the internet claim you're not legit and suddenly it was all for nothing.

Top Bottom