• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT2| Wanted to find Ciri, but everything Gwent wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
well the main reason is you can't fast travel on a whim - you have to get to a signpost. At least for me.

This is one of the smartest design choices they made. Forcing you to travel a little before you jump leads to some great discoveries.

I stumbled upon
Letho
, for instance, because the encampment he was hiding in had the closest signpost. I decided to check it for loot on a whim and it unlocked his quest chain.

Same goes for monster encampents that house rewards such as the Witcher gear sets, or random encounters with higher level monsters.

Exploring this open world actually feels like an adventure.

Coreda

Could someone photoshop out all the words etc.. and just leave in the cast of members? it would be great for wallpaper!

1920x1080

See how these suit.

charactersgrouppose-dmwr8c.jpg
charactersgrouppose-lfeptx.jpg

brau

This is one of the smartest design choices they made. Forcing you to travel a little before you jump leads to some great discoveries.

I stumbled upon
Letho
, for instance, because the encampment he was hiding in had the closest signpost. I decided to check it for loot on a whim and it unlocked his quest chain.

Same goes for monster encampents that house rewards such as the Witcher gear sets, or random encounters with higher level monsters.

I rarely fast travel. Unless i am running out of time to play and i want to get somewhere to do some crafting or last min misc tasks.

exploring and riding everywhere is the way to go :) so much fun.

Same here. I've put in close to 60 hours, which by that time I was wrapping up DA:I, yet in this game, I'm less than half way through with a ton of high level quests in my questlog.
I realized it when I was level 7 with 40 hours playtime.

Gwent is totally the best and worst thing in this game because of addiction.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget your can use items to break them down into other materials. This is huge when trying to build new items. Then you won't spend money or time if you already have an item you have.

Yeah I've been trying to figure out how to break down items. Is the only way to do that to go to a blacksmith and pay him to break down the items I don't need?

There isn't, but if nothing else there's the herbalist lady that should sell most of the plants thay you would need

Oh whoah I didn't know she sold you plants. I may have to check that out.

Shouta

Also, if you aren't using your crossbow with explosive bolts as soon as you get them, you're not doing it right.

brau

Yeah I've been trying to figure out how to break down items. Is the only way to do that to go to a blacksmith and pay him to break down the items I don't need?

As far as i know. Yes. Its not very expensive, and it beats the prices of buying it or the time to go somewhere else. Also, you can break down items and sell some stuff. I rarely run out of money when i need to craft something once i do this.

taybul

I'd enjoy traveling if summoning and controlling Roach wasn't so bad. I don't know why he spawns off the road where he often gets caught in a bush or fence. Once I'm actually on him I have to lay on the control stick and A for several seconds before he actually starts moving.

ironcreed

Banned
I feel what could be game's greatest accomplishment and what really defines its identity is its classic novella approach approach to many side quests, narrative driven within the scope of a freely playable open world ARPG. Quests almost if not always discard traditional video game structuring and instead adopt the idea of short story literature, where our story begins with an unfortunate predicament or even the protagonist doing something routine, which then leads to a story often different from how it began. The latter path is especially wonderful in the context of a video game where game systems and objectives are typically predictable, the best examples here being when you embark on (either willingly or accidentally) a monster contract, because that's what Witchers do, and that develops in unexpected ways or leads into a new quest arc that has nothing to do with the original contract.

As a fantasy ARPG the success of this presentation and quest structuring goes a long way to making the journey memorable, as it prevents you from picking up quests just because you want to rise through the ranks of some guild, acquire some item, grind XP, or work towards some unlock or bonus. Playing Wild Hunt is like having a tomb of short stories you're accidentally stumbling upon.

That is about the best way to describe Wild Hunt. It has such a grand sense of place and the world itself is filled with meaningful and interesting stories within a story. As a result, the world is just so much more alive and you find yourself actually giving a shit and not wanting to leave. Best in the business, in my opinion.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
In regards to Junior
Is there a single person that would leave him alive? You ran into him in a room filled with women he tortured and murdered for fun, he's tried to kill you multiple times, and he was after Ciri.

It really boggles my mind when I see games like TW3 and The Order 1886 both $60.
I am really impressed by TW3. I got my map, my little book of lore, stickers, a soundtrack and a game with a phenomenal amount of quality content. Hats off to CDPR. Other devs take notice!

Number45

Don't forget your can use items to break them down into other materials. This is huge when trying to build new items. Then you won't spend money or time if you already have an item you have.
But there's no in game codex for this stuff is there? I should be able to check an item in the game and find out what it breaks down into and what I need to break down to get it. The amount of equipment is overwhelming really, and not very well organised.

Also, if you aren't using your crossbow with explosive bolts as soon as you get them, you're not doing it right.
Not sure I have these yet. I assume they're not infinite like the normal bolts?

Chitown B

I stumbled upon
Letho

I can see it being good for early game, but later game when you've seen most everything it could get annoying.

Agreed here. I'd argue that books/notes should actually become part of a new codex tab when read for better reference. No real need to have them as inventory items at all outside of the quest-specific ones. A shame they clog up the consumable list.

Honestly a simple fix to push all books, letters, etc to the bottom of the tab would fix 90% of my UI annoyance. The game almost gets it right by having the oils right at the top. Just move the books and then having oils, concoctions, potions, and then food would be fine by me.

I dont think I have made a single potion yet... are there health potions that instantly refill your health bar? Getting tired of eating bread and chicken.

Renae

Hello, i have two questions today :

- I'm playing in Death March, I think it's more difficult to earn money, so I'm selling all junk items or bad swords/armors. Therefore i don't dismantle any items. Is my way of thinking good in Death March ?

- Have you a list of all the side quests of the game ?

Chitown B

Scanners_head_explode_screenshot1_65.jpg

But there's no in game codex for this stuff is there? I should be able to check an item in the game and find out what it breaks down into and what I need to break down to get it. The amount of equipment is overwhelming really, and not very well organised.

There is. You go to the dismantle option and hover, and it'll show what it turns into.

Dynasty8

In regards to Junior
Is there a single person that would leave him alive? You ran into him in a room filled with women he tortured and murdered for fun, he's tried to kill you multiple times, and he was after Ciri.

It was a no brainier for me.

RoKKeR

YES! Team Keira represent! Love her.
And to think that entire arc (just finished) is technically a big side quest... amazing stuff.

Yea, her arc was great.

Swordsmith is in the Baron's fort. Human woman standing right next to the dwarf armorsmith. I missed her myself the first time I visited.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

LOL

I ended up
killing her. She wanted to take the research and sell it, and i just could not have that fall into the wrong hands. My brother said he sent her with the Witchers.
:(

Thug Life.
Kiera spoilers:
I slept with her, convinced her not to hand over the research to Radovid and suggested she go back to Witcher home base. Everybody wins, though there may be some drama upon my return if Yen shows up...

Onwards!

aliengmr

In regards to Junior

I'm amazed there wasn't
a "slow and painful" option.

brau

Not sure I have these yet. I assume they're not infinite like the normal bolts?

This would make sense. Unfortunately the UI in this game makes as much sense as Gwent to me so far.

I go into the armor slot, and i wish pressing the item i am missing would give me options to break other items down from. Right now i have to look over the list and look for the same icon.

ironcreed

Banned
In regards to Junior

Easiest decision so far. This game knows how to push your buttons across the spectrum of feeling absolutely no mercy to actually wanting to help and make a difference for someone. In other words, CDPR nailed it.

Matchew

Still at the starting area, can I get this crossbow there?

Also, what should I be putting my ability points into?

Lingitiz

I feel what could be game's greatest accomplishment and what really defines its identity is its classic novella approach approach to many side quests, narrative driven within the scope of a freely playable open world ARPG. Quests almost if not always discard traditional video game structuring and instead adopt the idea of short story literature, where our story begins with an unfortunate predicament or even the protagonist doing something routine, which then leads to a story often different from how it began. The latter path is especially wonderful in the context of a video game where game systems and objectives are typically predictable, the best examples here being when you embark on (either willingly or accidentally) a monster contract, because that's what Witchers do, and that develops in unexpected ways or leads into a new quest arc that has nothing to do with the original contract.

As a fantasy ARPG the success of this presentation and quest structuring goes a long way to making the journey memorable, as it prevents you from picking up quests just because you want to rise through the ranks of some guild, acquire some item, grind XP, or work towards some unlock or bonus. Playing Wild Hunt is like having a tomb of short stories you're accidentally stumbling upon.

Yeah I have to agree with this. I love that they have enough confidence in the writing of these quests that they don't have to tempt you with the carrot on a stick. You do them because the stories are great and some side quests can even have huge ripple effects on the state of the world. They don't need to dangle things to grind for you to feel like you need to do them.

They expertly mix these quests in with emergent events in the world too. You'll encounter some bandits holding onto an old village outpost, monster dens, or places of power. But these are just side activities that the game doesn't force or even goad you into doing. They are just little fun distractions that you might stumble upon on the road to your next quest - made better by the way fast travel works. A lot of other open world games often make the mistake of making these discoverables the meat of their side content, but TW3 understands their place and uses them accordingly.

Quick one about the skill tree.

Do the skills that you put points in to only take effect if you activate them?

I have a few of the yellow passive abilities. Do they not have the passive effect (example 500 extra health) unless you activate them and have them in one of the slots on the right side?

if that's the case what do you do with the skills you have maxed out? I have the first level red quick and heavy sword skills maxed out. I can see i have access to the next level. If i start on those next tier skills, do i need to activate them at the expense of the skills on the tier above?

I think im confused : /

brau

Kiera spoilers:
I slept with her, convinced her not to hand over the research to Radovid and suggested she go back to Witcher home base. Everybody wins, though there may be some drama upon my return if Yen shows up...

Onwards!

I did everything but the last bit. It was quite a quest tho. Loved every single bit of it, even tho i had that ending, i am sticking to it, because it felt natural. I love that about this game tho... most choices are hard to predict. Sometimes you just have to go with the least worst option haha.

Upon meeting some civilians that strung this soldier running away, i took them on... Geralt later complained to the guy that 6 people had to die for his freedom. I didn't feel bad... but he was laying it down as it is.

Sober

Man I need a list of where to find certain potion/bomb/oil recipes. I keep running into the superior/enhanced version of some of them but not the base version. Right now I've kinda put the main quest on hold to run around vendors to see if I can pick up all the alchemy recipes and fill in the gaps I have.

Kind of discounted Aard because my stamina regen wasn't up to snuff but now I can cast it every 5 seconds interrupting the shit out of everything. It's crazy

Still at the starting area, can I get this crossbow there?

Also, what should I be putting my ability points into?
You can respec, but look through the trees and see what you think might be the most fun or best for your playstyle. I made a sword-heavy build that focuses on generating critical hits quickly. Other people build sign intensity, or mix them, or just dump skills wherever.

Honestly a simple fix to push all books, letters, etc to the bottom of the tab would fix 90% of my UI annoyance. The game almost gets it right by having the oils right at the top. Just move the books and then having oils, concoctions, potions, and then food would be fine by me.

It doesn't even make sense to have books under consumables since you can't "consume" them. Put them under the last junk column.

Does completing Family Matters cause any sidequests to fail?

Still a couple of levels below where I'd like to be to do a lot of those sidequests, but I don't want to level up through the main missions only to find that it causes those quests to fail anyway

taybul

I have a few of the yellow passive abilities. Do they not have the passive effect (example 500 extra health) unless you activate them and have them in one of the slots on the right side?

if that's the case what do you do with the skills you have maxed out? I have the first level red quick and heavy sword skills maxed out. I can see i have access to the next level. If i start on those next tier skills, do i need to activate them at the expense of the skills on the tier above?

Every skill is treated individually. You don't need to activate the skill directly above it. For them to take effect you need to "equip" them on the side.

Claptrap

I´m really frustrated at the moment, can´t continue with the main story because of a stupid bug:

It is the quest The great Escape, I have to follow someone and after climbing to ladders I can´t grab the ledge to follow him further

I know there are people who have finished the game, so there seems to be a way around this?

I am really impressed by TW3. I got my map, my little book of lore, stickers, a soundtrack and a game with a phenomenal amount of quality content. Hats off to CDPR. Other devs take notice!

It's in their DNA. They got their start by publishing Interplay/Black Isle games in Poland. Since piracy was so rampant they packaged the games with really awesome physical editions with lots of goodies to motivate people to actually purchase the games. They still haven't forgot that lesson.

Yeef

Got a haircut and my beard trimmed and was reminded of a quest in Witcher 2 when I saw that Geralt still had the tattoo. Love the attention to detail.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Something weird I noticed, your stat recap at the bottom right of your inventory screen doesn't seem to factor in swords into the bonuses beyond DPS. For example my sword has 20% sign intensity and is slotted for 8% more sign intensity. But equipping and removing the sword doesn't seem to move the number for sign intensity at all. Meanwhile equipping and removing my armor which has 15% sign intensity correctly moves the value by 15.

All skills, yellow, red, blue or green only work if they're put into the tree on the right side. You can put whatever you have unlocked in there wherever you want, but I would recommend linking skills to a same color mutagen.

I dont think I have made a single potion yet... are there health potions that instantly refill your health bar? Getting tired of eating bread and chicken.
There is a potion that fills part of your health right away. I forgot its name, thought, and I'm on my phone. Something Raffard?

Mendrox

Geralt just fucks what he wants to fuck and he doesn't care and the ladies love it. Nobody really cares and everybody knows he just helps them or pays them so that he can fuck. It's literally just that.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I don't understand some of the Bombs.

I have Enhanced Devil's Puffball which gives +100 damage for poison and lasts 30 seconds but I also have Superior Devil's Puffball that gives +100 damage for poison and also lasts 30 seconds.

Is it just quantity is higher for Superior?

Number45

There is. You go to the dismantle option and hover, and it'll show what it turns into.
Yeah, but it would be nice to be able to check all of that stuff out in the field - it would be nice to work everything out just from the crafting page for an item including if I have any components that I can use/break down to make those missing bits. Maybe a little immersion breaking, but a significant quality of life improvement. I feel like I need a notepad handy when playing the game, and that's not something I've ever enjoyed makes the crafting seem overwhelming to me (and I enjoy crafting in this kind of game as a rule).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom