• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Reviews Thread

ymgve

Is this like The Talos Principle? Haven't seen or heard much about it, really.

It is kind of like Talos Principle, in that you have a world filled with puzzles you have to solve and paying attention to the environment matters. But in Talos you're putting the actual solution to puzzles physically in the world, while in Witness you put the solution into a line drawing panel. Also I assume there will be much less story and readable notes in The Witness compared to Talos.

Fat4all

Banned
I have plenty of paper lying around... and a pile of pencils.

Reminds me of when I freakin' deciphered the symbol language in Fez. After a while I was able to translate it by heart.

It took me longer than I'd like to admit to "solve" Myst. This is gonna be a long ride for me...

Also I assume there will be much less story and readable notes in The Witness compared to Talos.

I'd assume so too, but apparently The Witness
has a full voice cast or something
, which is kinda crazy to imagine.

mclem

And I cant believe people level criticism like "I dont want to do 100s of the same puzzle" or "I dont want to do 100 sudoku puzzles"

Whoa, whoa: I made the sudoku comparison just to highlight how that can stand in the way of the idea of "If you're stuck, go off and do something else". Don't read that as an intended criticism of The Witness specifically!

(Well, unless it does, in fact, have 100 sudoku puzzles in it with no other avenues to go down. But that seems unlikely!)

I was already planning to pick this up eventually, good that it looks to be reviewing well.

Sticking to my plan to clear some games in progress before spending more isn't getting easier though.

This is highly encouraging; I've seen a great many adventures designed by people who haven't really thought about puzzle design, just come up with a few setpiece ideas they're drawn to without necessarily making them into good puzzles. If Blow's done some thought and research into it, that's a big plus.

Well, if there's guidance and context, it's not really obtuse :)
In a walkthrough from a few years ago, Blow shows how you might come across a puzzle that you don't know how to solve, but then down the road you'll find a series of puzzles that teach you the rules for that previous puzzle.

v1lla21

f8nMs.jpg

samred

Ars Technica's spoiler-free review (meaning, my review): http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...nd-where-knowledge-mystery-are-the-treasures/

When playing The Witness, you'll likely be tempted to cheat on at least a few of the games hundreds of puzzles by seeking out a solution on an FAQ site or a YouTube playthrough. Don't. The process of solving this game, and of absorbing its philosophical questions and erudite proclamations, reeks of pretension and haughtiness if you skip through as a "follow these steps" outsider. If you stay inside of The Witness's fully formed puzzle island bubble, however—one that always, always offers a fair, organic, and logical solution—you'll be rewarded with the kind of rumination on the world that only an interactive medium can deliver.

I have been playing a nearly final version of this game since September. I fell in love with it early, and I'm still in love with it. To answer a question I saw earlier in the thread, this game's first-person movement/speed is adjusted VERY well for sickness, compared to The Talos Principle causing more whiplash. I can answer other questions if you have 'em.

If I'm generally not that great at puzzle games (got stuck multiple times in portal 2 and most people here say it's super easy) should I avoid this? The last thing i want is to get frustrated at a puzzle i cant solve and rage quit. I really want to play this since there's so much positive buzz but all the talk of the puzzles being hard are making me second guess buying it.

Rektash

It amuses me the basic image that's gone around for Witness Island is the shot with a single notable mountain over on the right. I assume it's deliberately trying to conjure up associations with Myst!

It most certainly is a nod to Myst.

viveks86

You know the intense satisfaction of the 'eureka moment' you experience when solving a room in Portal, or in a Zelda dungeon? Blow is on a mission to give you that feeling dozens, maybe hundreds of times in the course of his game. People tend to use words like compelling or absorbing to describe puzzle games: playing The Witness is actually thrilling. After a good sequence you sit back as dazed and drained and gratified as from a level in Geometry Wars or a win in Dota 2.

What a way to usher in 2016. Might have to take sick leave tomorrow

styl3s

Glad to see it reviewing well i want to read and watch reviews but i don't want any of puzzles or anything about the game spoiled for me.

The $40 price tag never bothered me because i knew i was going to get a high quality game with a ton of content.

I completely forgot this game was coming out today. These reviews are amazing; I'm definitely going to pick this up sometime soon.

LPride

Banned
When I first heard about this I thought "So, uh, youre just walking around an island solving graph theory puzzles :/" but now Im thinking "Youre walking around an island?! Solving Graph Theory Puzzles!!!!??? :D"

sollos

Neo Member
How do you define perfect? How do you define average? What do these definitions mean, if not an arbitrary word you've assigned to how you might feel about a specific puzzle?

The words are semantically primitive, you're not going to define them in some other times. It might seem difficult to believe, but if you have any experience with this sort of activity it's pretty clear how it is generally easy to come to a consensus on what belongs on each category.

I sometimes deal with this with university students when they come ask me about my grades. I don't go into these details, but the truth is, I could give their papers to any other professor, and they'd get the same letter grade. It's not difficult when you're only dealing with a few categories: A, B, C, D, F. Two less than what I proposed earlier for games. An 'A' paper is quite clear to anyone in my field (philosophy). It's well written, well argued, no fallacious arguments, and it presents a novel position. A 'B' paper may not have any issues, but it could stand a number of improvements in either exposition, exploring objections, and so forth. A 'C' paper has some problems. It may contain some fallacious arguments, or may display misunderstandings. But it was a well intended attempt. A 'D' paper was probably not well intended, or if it was, it displays serious issues. An 'F' paper is just atrocious and has no redeeming qualities.

This is a common activity that happens in so many different fields, including creative ones, such as fiction writing: being able to analyze the objective factors of a work. I'm not saying the result is going to look anything like a mathematical deduction in terms of the extent and specificity of the consensus, but you can quite clearly talk in broad terms about how well or poorly written some piece of fiction is, some piece of academic scholarship is, or how well or poorly written some piece of game design is and find large consensus.

To suggest that all there is are subjective attitudes and ultimately sales numbers is incredibly pessimistic.

Axass

The whole "using puzzles to teach a new language and rules to be used in other puzzles" is so Antichamber by the way. That game's also first person, only difference is that Antichamber uses block puzzles instead of line ones.

By the way, buy Antichamber, it's a gem.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion, but I genuinely believe the slightly lower scores are coming from people that didn't beat the game. To say anything more is a massive spoiler.

Before then, The Witness is a beautiful and brilliant puzzle game. But it is that moment and what follows that elevates the experience into gaming's top tier. It is then that most reviewer probably said "wow I need to consider a perfect score."

And... There's no guarantee everyone can get to that moment. At least on their own. It's a very challenging journey that asks a lot of its participants.

Could the experience have benefitted from having more of that mojo in the first 10-20 hours of play? Maybe... Hard to say. All I will say is everyone reading this should earn it for themselves and don't look up guides or spoilers.

LPride

Banned
Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion, but I genuinely believe the slightly lower scores are coming from people that didn't beat the game. To say anything more is a massive spoiler.

Before then, The Witness is a beautiful and brilliant puzzle game. But it is that moment and what follows that elevates the experience into gaming's top tier.

Well this certainly makes me worried. Braid was an excellent, charming little platformed but the exposition and writing were pretty cringe worthy and the story really just ruined it. I was hoping Jonathan Blow would focus on making a good game since thats obviously what hes skilled at.

Emarv

This is just patently false. We can speak quite clearly about why the cat hair mustache puzzle is poorly designed, and why other puzzles are well designed. Just because we can't give a specific, ordered ranking from 1 to 1,000,000 for how well designed every puzzle or puzzle game is, doesn't mean that we can't come to general agreements. In particular, if the only category assignments we need are: awful, poor, average, good, great, and perfect... it seems clear at the end of the day we'll be able to figure out whether or not The Witness, or some other game, is designed: awfully, poorly, averagely, well, greatly, or perfectly,

Never change, GAF.

The whole "using puzzles to teach a new language and rules to be used in other puzzles" is so Antichamber by the way. That game's also first person, only difference is that Antichamber uses block puzzles instead of line ones.

Indeed. Amazing puzzle game. One of the best ever. Antichamber and The Talos Principle are two of my favourite games of all time. Have a feeling The Witness may join that list.

Trojan

Ars Technica's spoiler-free review (meaning, my review): http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...nd-where-knowledge-mystery-are-the-treasures/

I have been playing a nearly final version of this game since September. I fell in love with it early, and I'm still in love with it. To answer a question I saw earlier in the thread, this game's first-person movement/speed is adjusted VERY well for sickness, compared to The Talos Principle causing more whiplash. I can answer other questions if you have 'em.

Sam - enjoyed reading your review and have a question for you. Do you think this game lends itself to playing with someone else? I want to find a game to play with my girlfriend that we both can enjoy and am wondering if The Witness would be a good experience for that.

LPride

Banned
Indeed. Amazing puzzle game. One of the best ever. Antichamber and The Talos Principle are two of my favourite games of all time. Have a feeling The Witness may join that list.

Talos Principle gives me hope. My biggest worry about The Witness is that youre gonna be in this nice relaxing puzzle environment and a bunch of talking heads are going to be yammering on at you either through audio logs or over the radio. I know theres a shitload of voice acting for this gam, so fingers crossed they actually pull it off like the V/O in Talos did.

Fractal

Banned
Hm... I really don't like the sound of this part:
I expect the 'real meaning' of The Witness is something the game's community will enjoy debating and piecing together over time, but this thread struck me as self-involved and wilfully obscure, carrying the whiff of alternate reality games: a riddle to be crowdsourced rather than a message to be understood. Personally, I don't find that interesting. At any rate, it's nothing like as interesting as The Witness' magnificent puzzles, which in their abstract way seem to have much more to say about the world: about logic, perception and the laws of physics, about light and dark, and about finding a way forward.
I'm not a big fan of puzzle games, but I like to play some from time to time... for example, had a rather good time with Portal and Talos Principle. Portal won me over with its writing, and I enjoyed the AI "study" of the Talos Principle, but I find this hint of Witness plot being based on "abstractions" rather off-putting. Will get to it eventually, if anything, I really like the visual style which will hopefully provide enough incentive to explore.

tebunker

Banned
It amuses me the basic image that's gone around for Witness Island is the shot with a single notable mountain over on the right. I assume it's deliberately trying to conjure up associations with Myst!
It was the first thing my wife said when I started showing her the game.

She said,"Wow that's a lot like Myst", and I said in spirit yes, I think it was deliberate.

Also I want to get this, isnt a physical release coming? I'm not one to %100 a game and it seems like it'd be a good buy the disc, play through it and share it with a friend

Axass

Stephen Totilo put it best in his review IMO. It's going to be one of those games where you compete with the designer, who's trying to trick you, to outsmart him. It's definitely a game for people who want to challenge themselves, i.e. no looking at guides, hints, but soaking oneself in the atmosphere and in the new set of rules you learn.

It was the first thing my wife said when I started showing her the game.

She said,"Wow that's a lot like Myst", and I said in spirit yes, I think it was deliberate.

Also I want to get this, isnt a physical release coming? I'm not one to %100 a game and it seems like it'd be a good buy the disc, play through it and share it with a friend

Physical will come eventually apparently, no set date though.

ymgve

Do any reviews have complaints besides it being balls hard?

Giant Bomb quicklook pointed out two negative things - you can't fall down drops beyond 1-2 feet high ones, so you can't do "obvious" time saving short cuts - and there are puzzles that "punish" a wrong solution by un-solving panels you've already solved.

samred

Sam - enjoyed reading your review and have a question for you. Do you think this game lends itself to playing with someone else? I want to find a game to play with my girlfriend that we both can enjoy and am wondering if The Witness would be a good experience for that.

If that person can stay on the couch with you for much of the experience, then yes. However, I handed a copy of the game off to two bf/gf pairs and watched them play the early portion as part of my review process, to check/balance my bias, and one of those pairs almost immediately got into a fight of "no, go here! no, do this!" So, find a way to share the experience that isn't one person being the dominant alpha solver, and you'll have a better time.

There's a lot to figure out depending on the sequence in question, and a lot of the game's beauty is in its teaching systems, which can be ruined by one person on the couch going "oh duh this is so obvious" and taking that a-ha moment away from the other person.

Kalor

I was going to pick this up tomorrow anyway but everything mentioned in the few reviews I've read reinforce that I'll really enjoy this.

Adam M

It gives you more than 50 hours gameplay and many of you are still whining about the price....

anyway, good to see the good scores

Neoweee

Do any reviews have complaints besides it being balls hard?

Getting stuck out-of-sequence at puzzles you haven't built up to and thus having to restart the game.

Game is too long and wears out its welcome, or ends up with weak and inconsistent pacing without a driving force.

Alastor3

can't agree more

Trojan

If that person can stay on the couch with you for much of the experience, then yes. However, I handed a copy of the game off to two bf/gf pairs and watched them play the early portion as part of my review process, to check/balance my bias, and one of those pairs almost immediately got into a fight of "no, go here! no, do this!" So, find a way to share the experience that isn't one person being the dominant alpha solver, and you'll have a better time.

There's a lot to figure out depending on the sequence in question, and a lot of the game's beauty is in its teaching systems, which can be ruined by one person on the couch going "oh duh this is so obvious" and taking that a-ha moment away from the other person.

Looks like I'll need to ask her whether or not she's willing to put 20+ hrs into this! And if I'm willing to hold off on playing it when she's not around :) Thanks for the response.

kiguel182

So, how hard is it?

I'm really interested in it (it really looks amazing) but I'm also afraid of just getting super frustrated all the time.

The IGN review makes it seem like the game does a good job of teaching you it's mechanics but it still might end up being super complicated.

Antichamber goty 2013. still love it to death.

when can I buy the witness on PSN??

Top Bottom