• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Reviews Thread

I'm really glad to see this reviewing so well. I'm not always confident in my puzzle solving abilities, but I want to give this game my all.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This looks interesting enough that I might actually go in early, full price. The Gilles Deleuze of Video Games absolutely has what it takes to make stunning puzzle games, and McMillian and other developers seem to be raving about it on twitter as well.

Anno

I'm glad to see the reviews are generally so positive. Seems like the kind of game that might spark one of the rare FEZ-like zeitgeist sphere where after a time everyone is playing and collaborating and figuring stuff out towards some ultimate hidden goal.

Also looks like the early word of mouth is driving the game back up the Steam charts. From 50something last night to now 7th.

LordAmused

So, how hard is it?

I'm really interested in it (it really looks amazing) but I'm also afraid of just getting super frustrated all the time.

The IGN review makes it seem like the game does a good job of teaching you it's mechanics but it still might end up being super complicated.

This. Preordered it a few minutes ago on Steam based on reviews.

I guess we will find out soon enough! I don't really know anything on the game besides the fact it releases tomorrow.

Fat4all

Banned
So, how hard is it?

I'm really interested in it (it really looks amazing) but I'm also afraid of just getting super frustrated all the time.

The IGN review makes it seem like the game does a good job of teaching you it's mechanics but it still might end up being super complicated.

Going in fresh the game might seem super hard, but according to the reviews it does teach you slowly how to crack some of the harder nuts.

Still, doesn't seem to hold your hand much.

Im a little surprised at the really positive reviews,not that I didn't expect it to be good,just reviewers tend to be harsh on something differing the norm.So I'm so pleased at the scores.

Can't wait to play it now

Hanmik

The Wired

The Witness Is Driving Me Insane

http://www.wired.com/2016/01/the-witness-review/?mbid=social_twitter

Frankly, I think I might hate The Witness. Even after hours of playtime, I don’t know enough to tell.

There are some bright spots. I found a way to travel to various parts of the island quickly, offering some perspective on the structure of the place. I’ve made some headway, here and there, on some truly difficult puzzles. In some places, it seems that I’m on the precipice of a real discovery.

The Witness has yet to offer me any reasons to expect that my faith will be rewarded, however. I’ve found a couple of audio logs, that new standby of videogame narratives. They’ve all been near ships, which I think might be important.

Upon activation, all they’ve offered are famous videogame voice actors reading the words of philosophers and poets. Thought experiments. Eulogies. More questions.

In the silence of the island, I can almost hear The Witness laughing at me.

So this game will have some funny reactions here on Gaf ...

Antichamber goty 2013. still love it to death.

when can I buy the witness on PSN??

Not sure what time it's going up but...

5Jxl4hv.png

It's gonna be tough waiting for a physical release...but I'll just consider that abstinence part of my prep for playing this apparently ball busting game.

It looks like the recommended gpu is a 780. For those who are smarter than me, does that mean my 660 should be ok? By "ok" I mean not playing on low settings?

if you want impressions without any spoilers, I recommend listening to but not watching the giant bomb quick look. Jeff plays it fresh and works through stuff without explicitly narrating every move so it works well.

e:
It looks like the recommended gpu is a 780. For those who are smarter than me, does that mean my 660 should be ok? By "ok" I mean not playing on low settings?

minimum settings is intel 4000 integrated graphics so any dGPU should push med/high. Anything in the last few years should do high/max (if that's a setting above high)

The way those specs are listed it makes me think that it's just what Jonathon Blow had in his PC so you should be fine, keep in mind that this is also a PS4 and iPad game so you're 660 is significantly better than both of those.

LPride

Banned
if you want impressions without any spoilers, I recommend listening to but not watching the giant bomb quick look. Jeff plays it fresh and works through stuff without explicitly narrating every move so it works well.

If the game really does build up on what you learn then watching the opening moments of the game would be like 'spoiling' a tutorial section. Who cares?

Silly question, Im sure there are are plenty of people crazy enough to care. Yall need to get a grip on spoilers.

The Videogamer review discussion is really good and does a great job at explaining what makes the game so enjoyable
It doesn't spoil anything gameplay-wise you haven't seen from the trailers, and is vague about everything else. Don't watch it though, just listen, because it shows footage from the opening area.

Jolkien

If the game really does build up on what you learn then watching the opening moments of the game would be like 'spoiling' a tutorial section. Who cares?

Silly question, Im sure there are are plenty of people crazy enough to care. Yall need to get a grip on spoilers.

Everything seems to be a spoiler these days.

Glad it's reviewing well, not my type of game at all but always nice to see a game succeed even more so with the scope it seems to have and the small team that developed it.

Blow has said that opening tutorial section has more than it seems.

I was actually considering waiting because of my classload right now, but this seems like one of those games where joining the zeitgeist will be awesome.

valid. it's 30 minutes of a 40-100+ hour game. Insignificant really.

personally, I've gone this far without seeing much beyond the trailers, so saving the visual impact for myself is worth another 24 hours or so.

Krakn3Dfx

Trying to decide if this is something I could get the wife to play, which would decide whether I go PS4 or PC.

I'll probably do PS4 then double dip when I good PC deal presents itself.

If I'm generally not that great at puzzle games (got stuck multiple times in portal 2 and most people here say it's super easy) should I avoid this? The last thing i want is to get frustrated at a puzzle i cant solve and rage quit. I really want to play this since there's so much positive buzz but all the talk of the puzzles being hard are making me second guess buying it.

The big thing here is that unlike Portal, this game is open world, so you can go somewhere else and do another puzzle.

This makes a world of difference. I can only speak about Talos Principle: Whenever I was stuck, I simply did another puzzle. Then, I would eventually come back to something I was stuck on and see things from a new perspective and solve it!

It's the most gratifying feeling in puzzle games. It requires patience, which I think some gamers really lack when dealing with puzzle games. Because honestly, sometimes, all it takes is you coming back another hour, day, or sometime later in the week to understand a puzzle and solve it.

In something like Portal, this can drive someone mad enough to look up the answer. After all, in a game like Portal, if you're stuck, you're not making any progress. You HAVE to solve that puzzle there and then. You could of course come back another day and tinker around for hours, but in an open world puzzle game, you can simply do something else. This makes the genre more accessible and less intimidating for most.

I genuinely love this about games, but I think a lot of people don't appreciate this anymore. When you're stuck on a boss in Dark Souls, you sometimes can go somewhere else or drive yourself mad and quit.

I think people too often expect answers immediately. With puzzle games, I think people need to absolutely appreciate patience.

Anyways, I expect Witness to be the same way: you will get stuck on puzzles, but you have other puzzles to explore, and more importantly, other areas to explore the story, if that's your thing.

Also, can anyone confirm that Witness has "themes" like in Talos Principle?

Because in Talos Principle, new mechanics for puzzles were introduced progressively, and I'm guessing Witness will too?

DavidDesu

Well Blow proved himself a genius with Braid. Seems he's cemented that reputation. Can't wait to read and watch all these reviews!

There's a lot to figure out depending on the sequence in question, and a lot of the game's beauty is in its teaching systems, which can be ruined by one person on the couch going "oh duh this is so obvious" and taking that a-ha moment away from the other person.

Thanks for this insight! My wife loved Myst to pieces, and so I'm thinking about picking this up for the both of us... this gives me some context to make it more enjoyable as a shared experience.

Ansatz

Everything seems to be a spoiler these days.

VideoGamerTV review take on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT9S6xlvrJA&t=6m31s

If you spoil TW you will literally ruin the experience for the other person, like they say "in many ways there is no game here"

It's all in the thought process, what goes on in your mind as you discover things by yourself. If you are handed the solution then you're left with nothing of substance, the game is not worth playing at that point.

ymgve

Also, can anyone confirm that Witness has "themes" like in Talos Principle?

Because in Talos Principle, new mechanics for puzzles were introduced progressively, and I'm guessing Witness will too?

From what I've seen of the few intro puzzles in the Giantbomb quicklook, there are definitely "themes" that are later combined into single puzzles. But it's not like in Talos like "this is a separate puzzle area where nothing outside matters" (ignoring stars) and it doesn't tell you exactly what tools you have at your disposal, unlike Talos.

Se_7_eN

Damn...

The Witness
XCOM 2
Firewatch

Funny how I always feel there is a few months where I won't buy any games and can catch up on my backlog... But it never turns out that way.

Durante

I sometimes deal with this with university students when they come ask me about my grades. I don't go into these details, but the truth is, I could give their papers to any other professor, and they'd get the same letter grade. It's not difficult when you're only dealing with a few categories: A, B, C, D, F. Two less than what I proposed earlier for games. An 'A' paper is quite clear to anyone in my field (philosophy). It's well written, well argued, no fallacious arguments, and it presents a novel position. A 'B' paper may not have any issues, but it could stand a number of improvements in either exposition, exploring objections, and so forth. A 'C' paper has some problems. It may contain some fallacious arguments, or may display misunderstandings. But it was a well intended attempt. A 'D' paper was probably not well intended, or if it was, it displays serious issues. An 'F' paper is just atrocious and has no redeeming qualities.
Wow. I grade programs and have a much harder time than that at comping up with a grading system which achieves all the goals of being fair, clear, meaningful and representative. I'd imagine grading something as nebulous as an essay to be hell.

Top Bottom