• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XBoxOne will be near silent. And the PS4??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cidd

Hell, the external power brick is noisier than the 360 itself.

Bs, the 360 sounded like an harrier jump jet ready to take off, I had both a PS3 and 360 launch models nothing compares to a launch 360. the power supply just added to that.

It's obvious the PS4 will be much louder. They both have very similar architecture, but the Xbox One has a much bigger (meaning much slower and quieter as well) fan.

We have no idea what the internals of the PS4 look like. The fan could be just as large as the one in the One, or they could be using a more exotic heatsink solution.

ElNino

Bs, the 360 sounded like an harrier jump jet ready to take off, I had both a PS3 and 360 launch models nothing compares to a launch 360. the power supply just added to that.
I assume that was referencing the 360S model, where the power supply is louder than the console itself (when the disc drive isn't involved).

Comparing my PS3 Slim and 360S models, the PS3 is louder than the 360 when not using disc drives (which is why I install all my games). Considering that every X1 game will be running off the HDD then it would make sense that the PS4 might be louder when gaming if it is getting any data off the disc. If both are running off the HDD then it's only guessing at this point which would be louder.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It's obvious the PS4 will be much louder. They both have very similar architecture, but the Xbox One has a much bigger (meaning much slower and quieter as well) fan.

You kind of have to know how much heat they are trying to dissipate. If XB1 APU is that much large (400mm^2+ vs <300MM^2) the XB1 has to do more cooling. You also underestimate Sony's engineers, MS is a software company and it shows.

maverick40

The PS4 will probably be louder, as you'll actually have it switched on.

lkGSVV6.gif

Melchiah

The PS3 Slim is far worse. Really noisy after you've been playing on it for a while. Actually gutted I got rid of my Phat as it was far quieter (and had BC).

Completely the opposite for me. The 60GB was like a hoover from the day I bought it. I read somewhere back in the day, that the Scandinavian/European models were manufactured in China, and had a louder fan, than the NA units made in Japan.

The slim's fan is totally quiet, but the disc drive can sometimes be noisy when it's loading a game. Whereas the drive was quiet in the old fatty.

Sean*O

So xbone is going to silently fuck you over. Great. Good to know. Thanks.

Just let it happen.

Seriously, would love to know the answer to this as well. Probably won't know for a while maybe a site like Anand Tech will get a hold of one and post measurements.

n0n44m

this is really the only thing that is keeping me from pre-ordering a PS4 right now

I've got a heavily overclocked, dual graphics card PC that is totally watercooled and thus completely silent even under heavy load. Invested quite a bit of money in that ...

The PS3 (phat & slim) and X360 (original) were unacceptably loud to me; the Xbone looks to be doing great on the noise part but I have no interest in it whatsoever, so I really really really hope Sony made sure to keep the noise down on the PS4 as well ...

edit: why didn't EviLore smash open the PS4 on the Giant Bomb stream ? WHAT'S IN THE BOX !?!?

(it was probably an empty shell)

But we know the dimensions and can make educated predictions.

Well I think there is some truth in it. Assuming the same fan speed, xbone's fan will be blowing through empty space and just vents on top, whereas PS4 will surely have a complex heat sink that channels air to the back. So it could be a little louder.

Then again, assuming PS4's heat sink covers the entire console, the larger surface area means its fan won't need to work as hard to expel the heat vs xbone's heat sink that's only as large as its fan.

one of the main reasons why i stopped playing HD consoles was because both my systems were super loud.

If the PS4 is loud i might just skip this gen, well apart from the Wii U.

Sometimes witty first posts are good, sometimes they're bad. This one was okay but the worshiping the guy gets for the rest of the thread is so damn annoying. Jesus people, get on topic.

Here is an IGN story about the Xbox One in general

So now, finally given the chance, I picked each of them up and was surprised by how solid and well-built the Xbox One feels compared to the first-generation Xbox 360. And believe the hype: the new Xbox is almost inaudibly quiet when running.

I honestly haven't really found anything beyond that, and haven't looked for anything on the PS4 side, but at least according to one source it seems the X1 is quiet
wtzgU.gif

-> topic gets bumped after 3 months requesting actual answer
-> topic immediately is derailed again to return to the godlike first post.

Acheteedo

Oh for god's sake, as if 9 pages of circle-jerking wasn't enough when this topic was first posted.

Yes, it was an amusing first post, but for people wanting to actually find the answer to the thread's question we now have to sift through 90% garbage posts, even after 9 pages and 3 months.

Ushae

Banned
This thread went to shit in no time.

OT: (Might as fucking well try to keep it on topic lol) - I think PS4 will be a little bit louder, but nothing that is overwhelmingly obvious.

Marvel

could never
Dat first post... lol damn.

I think both consoles are going to be very, very quiet so I'm not worried. I'm like you OP can't stand noisy consoles.

Satchel

Banned
I'd expect the PS4 to be louder. But not loud. If that makes sense.

Would be some amazing engineering to be able to get a console that size, with those specs to be quiet, cool AND reliable.

The PS4 will probably be louder, as you'll actually have it switched on.

First reply killed again. Neogaf is on a roll.

On a more serious note, we won't know until we have both of the systems in our hands. It could be louder or it could be quieter. Really depends on the type/quality of fans Sony will be using for it. It's Sony, so I expect it to have nothing but high quality components in the system.

But the thing is that they're using AMD CPU this time and they're known to run hotter than Intel CPUs. We'll see.

Oni Jazar

To stay on topic... I wouldn't even trust first impressions of quietness. Everyone may remember the first month of PS3 it was whisper quiet. It wasn't until some time later when the vacuum presented itself.

Caayn

How the fuck to people actually manage to do this?

First post within seconds of the OP.

I said dayum!
hahaha

Enjoy that great launch line up

oh wait...
This assumes you will own a Xbone. A bad assumption.
Dat first post. Microsoft needs its own fire department to put out that fire.
First reply killed again. Neogaf is on a roll.

On a more serious note, we won't know until we have both of the systems in our hands. It could be louder or it could be quieter. Really depends on the type/quality of fans Sony will be using for it. It's Sony, so I expect it to have nothing but high quality components in the system.

But the thing is that they're using AMD CPU this time and they're known to run hotter than Intel CPUs. We'll see.
Did you all seriously need to quote a fipo that's months old and has already been quoted a gazillion times?!

So I guess you've already heard the Xbox One running to say that it is near silent...

Probably even heard at those load games conventions....

Both consoles consume less power, producing less heat, which will make for cooling systems not to be so loud. I'd expect both to be more silent than the PS3 and 360

NewGame

Banned
The PS4 will sound like several rusty chainsaws burrowing into each other, and that's before you turn it on.

"I heard those Xbones are awful loud"

"It glides as softly as a cloud."

9f10-big.jpg

Acheteedo

What do you want, it's the first time I see this thread. Not my fault it was bumped.

All you needed to do was note how many pages we were on. Quoting the first post and adding nothing to the discussion becomes irritating after the first page. Maybe 2 pages max if it was a real zinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom