• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XBoxOne will be near silent. And the PS4??

Status
Not open for further replies.

neos

The PS4 will probably be louder, as you'll actually have it switched on.

balla-fieno-deserto-western-sterpaglia.gif

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, It doesn't seem funny or clever and doesn't really make sense for the reasons listed, the reaction is bizarre. Any burn on One I suppose qualifies as amusing now? I really don't know.

I'm probably missing something really amazing and will feel stupid soon.

I need to talk about this "praised" the first post. It makes no sense. By saying it's not switched on, you're implying that people will buy both but not use the Xbox One. Why is that? Is there something that would make you want to buy the Xbox but not play it? I don't get it.

I have no idea why everyone thinks it's a clever post.

You're over thinking it.

I can get with it when there's actual wit involved.

That first post has no logic and is only funny before you put any thought into the supposed 'wit' backing it

I'll admit I chuckled when I first read it and then I thought about it and you know what? Doesn't deserve this much attention. In fact they often don't and I've watched and chimed in on whole threads being derailed because GAF wants to laff. Two hundred and ninety-second post nailed it

Hey wow. I wasn't back seat modding or doing anything bannable and you can't even act like I was. Don't even try that shizz just because I expressed personal distaste over how people react to even the most average first posts.

We were talking about this.

Sorry, but I'd do a perma-ban on anyone issuing these "i gotta be wittier than X poster on explaining how much the Xbox One will fail, sucks, etc."

Gaf has never been about this kind of behavior and now it's openly allowed.

wizzbang

Banned
My only concern is the amount of fake concern posts/FUD we seem to be seeing on the uptick on the interwebs.

I mean, the OP reaches an impossible conclusion. Basically "oh the XBox One is going to silent."

How does he know? He can tell by the vents? A picture of a fan? That's ludicrous.

Not to defend a console I have no interest in but several comments from Microsoft focused on the device being as quiet as possible.
There's articles discussing the 'eerily quiet' room they built for testing and furthermore if they want an 'all in one, tv / game 'box' for the loungeroom - they want to compete with silent cable boxes.

The Xbox One is larger, with more space for airflow, it has a very large fan which can run slower and it has slower performing components inside the box AND an external power brick to boot.
Now,....... You might not be technically inclined, perhaps none of that stuff means anything to you, or you're blindly faithful - but anyone who has any experience following hardware trends, reading reviews and is actually a tech head, not just a gamer can pretty much put 2 and 2 together.

There's no certainty the PS4 will be louder than the Xbox One - I damn well hope it isn't, since I'm buying a PS4, not an Xbox One (ever!) - regardless though, I'd be incredibly surprised if the PS4 is as quiet as an Xbox One. Very very surprised.

wizzbang

Banned
What makes you think it will be near silent? Have you heard one before or are you taking Don Mattricks word for it?

It took way too long to find this article.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one-development-photos/

The 2 in depth wired articles on the Xbox One (before Microsoft shot themselves in the foot) go to show that, sure Microsoft are douches but they really really put some effort into designing the hardware. Dozens upon dozens of little subtle changes and designs to perfect the device from a hardware perspective.

Long story short, Microsoft's put a lot of effort in here, not to say Sony hasn't (PS3 shits on the 360 for noise) but I'd put my money on MS for the quiet console this gen, purely based on experience with hardware, hope I'm wrong.

~~Hasan~~

PS4 cooling system. Likely much quieter.

Fuck yes it will be quite as shit. This is 19 cooling blades. These blades are awesome. When the pa3 was released. There were 2 models, 19 blades and 14 blades .

The 14 blades model was noisy as fuck. It was like a jet engine. My ps3 till current day "fat" is so silent i cant hear it even if the tv is on mute . If this is confirmed 19 blades, we are in for a good surprise :)

I actually had to search for that perfect ps3 back in the days. Oh Man I am super excited

netBuff

Not to defend a console I have no interest in but several comments from Microsoft focused on the device being as quiet as possible.
There's articles discussing the 'eerily quiet' room they built for testing and furthermore if they want an 'all in one, tv / game 'box' for the loungeroom - they want to compete with silent cable boxes.

The Xbox One is larger, with more space for airflow, it has a very large fan which can run slower and it has slower performing components inside the box AND an external power brick to boot.
Now,....... You might not be technically inclined, perhaps none of that stuff means anything to you, or you're blindly faithful - but anyone who has any experience following hardware trends, reading reviews and is actually a tech head, not just a gamer can pretty much put 2 and 2 together.

There's no certainty the PS4 will be louder than the Xbox One - I damn well hope it isn't, since I'm buying a PS4, not an Xbox One (ever!) - regardless though, I'd be incredibly surprised if the PS4 is as quiet as an Xbox One. Very very surprised.

Pretty much any hardware company has soundproofed rooms for sound testing - Microsoft is just marketing what is common development process here.

Without knowing anything about PS4's cooling concept, any speculation to this effect is worthless: I'm expecting both consoles to be relatively quiet, and probably of very similar loudness.

Tayaya

My PS3 fat is nice and quiet.... how are the slim models? As a company that does nothing but hardware design I kind of expect this to be something Sony's engineers are aware of whenever designing electronics. The exception being my Aibo.... he's loud as all hell!

I really don't expect the PS4 to break that trend at all.

But if it does.... that's why I have nice, loud speakers.

DBT85

Do the dimensions restrict anything?can they fit a 120mm fan and housing next to the bluray drive (isn't that also around 120mm)? Didn't look like much space to stack them.

I'd like Sony to show us the internals

I'd love to see the inside too.

The OG PS3 PHAT had an almost standard 5.25" sized BluRay drive in it, the Slim then had a slightly smaller version.

The Slim used a 95mm fan in it which together with the BluRay pretty much filled the width of the system.

The PS4 dimensions are slightly narrower, and has less height, but it is deeper slightly.

All depends on the board design and positioning of stuff really. If the board does fill that entire case then the fan will probably have to be similar to that on the PS3 Slim. However, the slim had to have a motherboard with both the CPU and GPU as separate chips with separate spreaders. The PS4 will have one APU and one spreader so they could have a smaller board, though it does have to pack 16 ram chips on.

Where does this pic come from? Is there more of it?

That is the original PS3 heatsink.

Big-E

Do people forget that the PS3 was pretty silent at launch but after some time it then turned into the jet engine. Those first few months were pretty quiet and only remember my PS3 turning into a jet around the time GTA IV came out..

Do people forget that the PS3 was pretty silent at launch but after some time it then turned into the jet engine. Those first few months were pretty quiet and only remember my PS3 turning into a jet around the time GTA IV came out..

The PS3 Slim is far worse. Really noisy after you've been playing on it for a while. Actually gutted I got rid of my Phat as it was far quieter (and had BC).

It's amazing how much space the disc drives occupy in these consoles. I'm surprised they aren't launching much smaller digital-only SKUs to go along side them, especially MS. Although I suppose they have to keep retailers as happy as possible.

wizzbang

Banned
Pretty much any hardware company has soundproofed rooms for sound testing - Microsoft is just marketing what is common development process here.

Without knowing anything about PS4's cooling concept, any speculation to this effect is worthless: I'm expecting both consoles to be relatively quiet, and probably of very similar loudness.

Yep you're right Sony aren't dumb they'll be trying for quiet, cool and reliable.
Guess what.
Smaller case.
Hotter tech
Power transformer included

Doesn't change the fact the odds are currently not in their favour.

Hesemonni

Banned
Yep you're right Sony aren't dumb they'll be trying for quiet, cool and reliable.
Guess what.
Smaller case.
Hotter tech

There's noway in hell PS4 is going to have an internal PSU. If it does, Sony has some serious engineering talent housed within.

jett

D-Member
Both my Fat PS3 and my PS3 slim were dead silent for their first few months of use, after that they could get quite noisy depending on the game I'm playing. I imagine no matter what Sony and Microsoft say, it will be the same for these two consoles.

wizzbang

Banned
There's noway in hell PS4 is going to have an internal PSU. If it does, Sony has some serious engineering talent housed within.

Take a look at the already released photos - it's a regular figure 8 old style plug same as the PS3 and PS2 - same as those old 80's and 90's boom boxes.

It's not likethe Xbox one, proprietary looking figure eight.

DBT85

The PS3 Slim is far worse. Really noisy after you've been playing on it for a while. Actually gutted I got rid of my Phat as it was far quieter (and had BC).

It's amazing how much space the disc drives occupy in these consoles. I'm surprised they aren't launching much smaller digital-only SKUs to go along side them, especially MS. Although I suppose they have to keep retailers as happy as possible.

Which slim did you get OOI? The first ones or the later ones (not the NEW slimslim).

They revised the internals again as the sysetm went on.

My Slim from the first batch is nice and quiet.

The list of what comes with the system does not mention a power brick, just a power cord. Sounds like they have some serious engineering talent.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130611a_e.pdf <-- source

No assumptions needed, they say it in that very document
The internal design architecture of the PS4 system, from the optical drive and power
supply unit
to the cooling mechanism, has been pursed to keep the body as slim and light as
possible to dramatically enhance the flexibility of the design.

For reference, all images from ifixit.com

The PS3 Phat PSU (the only PS3 PSU that wasn't universal worldwide IIRC)

The PS3 Slim PSU

The PS3 Slim Slim PSU

Oppo

PS4 ha internal power supply. That means more heat. Which could mean more noise.

Xbox One has an external power supply which might have it's own fan. Kinect has a fan. And the actual One has a fan but seems well ventilated.

Hard to say. 3 fans vs 1, but 1 might need to spin faster. I don't think you can guess right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Guess what.
Smaller case.
Hotter tech

360 had external power brick and was still noisier.

we simply don't know, and any suggestion otherwise is idle speculation. Just because the xbox is a big box means nothing. Sony have more experience in consumer electronics.

MS will want it to be quiet but only for TV stuff. I think they would accept some noise when playing games

I've been hearing that the recess that goes around the middle of the PS4 (when it's lad horizontally) has a hidden air intake? If that's true, fantastic design right there!

Caayn

If the X1 has indeed weaker hardware(from the same hardware tech/generation) than the PS4. It would only be logical that the X1 is going to be quieter when the X1 is bigger than the PS4.

I just hope that both the X1 and PS4 are quieter than my current PS3 Phat and X360 slim. Those two are really loud after an hour of gaming :(

When the post is that good, it deserves to be quoted.
Since when is fanboyism good? It was funny the first time that I read that post. But now it's getting annoying to see the same reply on every page.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
If the X1 has indeed weaker hardware(from the same hardware tech/generation) than the PS4. It would only be logical that the X1 is going to be quieter when the X1 is bigger than the PS4.

I just hope that both the X1 and PS4 are quieter than my current PS3 Phat and X360 slim. Those two are really loud after an hour of gaming :(

Since when is fanboyism good? It was funny the first time that I read that post. But now it's getting annoying to see the same reply on every page.

It isn't fanboyism. Taking a jab at a console with questionable practices which makes a lot of people laugh isn't fanboyism.

Chrisness

Banned
It's obvious the PS4 will be much louder. They both have very similar architecture, but the Xbox One has a much bigger (meaning much slower and quieter as well) fan.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's obvious the PS4 will be much louder. They both have very similar architecture, but the Xbox One has a much bigger (meaning much slower and quieter as well) fan.

my current gaming PC is much smaller and more powerful than my previous gaming PC, but it is also much quieter because I spent the time and effort planning it to be like that.

Nothing is obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom