• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XBoxOne will be near silent. And the PS4??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Respawn

Banned
I think part of the reason why the Xbox One is so large is to make it as quiet as possible (with a large, low RPM fan and plenty of ventilation). I think the PS4 will be louder comparatively, but still not as loud as a launch Xbox 360 or PS3.

My launch PS3 was quiet and it incorporated the large slow rpm fan. Launch 360 was awful. Dont see how you can lump it with PS3. Sony a hardware company all of a sudden cant make hardware? C'mon son.

My only concern for the ps4 is overheating or it being a really loud box, hopefully that isnt the case

My only concern is the amount of fake concern posts/FUD we seem to be seeing on the uptick on the interwebs.

I mean, the OP reaches an impossible conclusion. Basically "oh the XBox One is going to silent."

How does he know? He can tell by the vents? A picture of a fan? That's ludicrous.

TheExodu5

Banned
My launch PS3 was quiet and it incorporated the large slow rpm fan. Launch 360 was awful. Dont see how you can lump it with PS3. Sony a hardware company all of a sudden cant make hardware? C'mon son.

If you consider the launch PS3 as quiet then I'd say your standards for console noise levels are really low.

Pimpbaa

If you consider the launch PS3 as quiet then I'd say your standards for console noise levels are really low.

Wait, are you saying the PS3 was louder? Because no Playstation was ever as loud as the dvd drive in the 360. Before they added the ability to install games, 360 was near unplayable to me.

NoFunAllowed.jpg

(Good) First posts are almost an art/talent. Try it sometime and see how hard it is. Its an interesting merge of thread title, OP, wit, truth, first post, response and reaction.

I can get with it when there's actual wit involved.

That first post has no logic and is only funny before you put any thought into the supposed 'wit' backing it

I'll admit I chuckled when I first read it and then I thought about it and you know what? Doesn't deserve this much attention. In fact they often don't and I've watched and chimed in on whole threads being derailed because GAF wants to laff. Two hundred and ninety-second post nailed it

I was going to respond to these but ...

Thank you NinjaFridge. Stop talking and pay attention juniors. It will save you a permaban

Hey wow. I wasn't back seat modding or doing anything bannable and you can't even act like I was. Don't even try that shizz just because I expressed personal distaste over how people react to even the most average first posts.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't understand this logic.

A bigger fan means it will be quieter? Surely it's the other way around...

In cooling, a bigger fan vs. a smaller fan:

To move the same volume of air, a smaller fan needs to spin at a faster RPM. Faster RPM = louder noise.

Faster RPM also means a higher pitched noise, which is generally more annoying than lower pitched noises.

Bigger fans are also generally attached to bigger heatsinks, and bigger heatsinks are generally more effective in transferring heat away from the die, resulting in better cooling performance, which also means that you don't have to have the fan on so fast, which again means lower noise.

edit: audible noise also comes from the disc drive and the hard drive, too. These things are independent of whatever heatsink/fan is in the system.

I found on this some Korean gaming boards:
It's the PS4's interior?

51B932C33C60470010

Jea Song

Did the right thing
So yeah, as a few people may know, I have this slight obsession with silent hardware. Maybe because my 40GB PS3 turned into a in-my-livingroom jet-engine after about an hour of Uncharted 2 or other demanding titles. A truly deafening roar.

So if possible, I want to avoid running into a similar noise trap with my next console. The XBOne has me covered there, with a look like a swiss cheese and a cooling solution that can only be described as "ample".

So, any info on the PS4 would be really appreciated :)

You try cleaning your ps3s vents? After playing blops 2 when it was released it was really loud. Took a cotton swab and a can of air spray to the vents and was quiet once again.

Ps3 slim btw

Zeppelin

I'm quite worried about the small size of the PS4. The smaller the fans, the more they sound. Everybody knows this. I wouldn't have minded them making a larger console and putting larger fans in it instead.

Demon Ice

Banned
This is an example of a bad post.

Ironically, yours is worse. Well done.

I need to talk about this "praised" the first post. It makes no sense. By saying it's not switched on, you're implying that people will buy both but not use the Xbox One. Why is that? Is there something that would make you want to buy the Xbox but not play it? I don't get it.

I have no idea why everyone thinks it's a clever post.

Not hard to imagine somebody unaware of the DRM scheme picking one up and then not using it once they figure out the thing requires an Internet connection to play single player.

damaph

My only concern is the amount of fake concern posts/FUD we seem to be seeing on the uptick on the interwebs.

I mean, the OP reaches an impossible conclusion. Basically "oh the XBox One is going to silent."

How does he know? He can tell by the vents? A picture of a fan? That's ludicrous.

I think Microsoft said in the conference that the Xbone will be very quiet so that is where he probably got it from. What's wrong with hoping the PS4 is a quiet box?

Siegmeyer

The PS4 will probably be louder, as you'll actually have it switched on.

First post etc etc

Quiet is nice, but this issue isn't that important to me. If I can deal with the horrendous jet engine noise my 360 made after the X-clamp fix, I can deal with anything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's a question that cannot be answered yet. The XBONE has a 140mm fan on a fat heatsink, but it has to cool a large APU. The PS4 will have a cooler APU so won't need as large a fan or heatsink, but the case is smaller and it's got an internal PSU.

No reason Sony can't have put a 120mm fan in that case in my view.

Do the dimensions restrict anything?can they fit a 120mm fan and housing next to the bluray drive (isn't that also around 120mm)? Didn't look like much space to stack them.

I'd like Sony to show us the internals

monome

How the fuck do first posts work

as soon as the thread is launched, the GAF Gods see it a pyre and the proof that mortals seek Their Just Words; if happy with the thread, the GAF Gods imbue the first reply with Wisdom that few Men can sustain without cracking a smile or throwing themselves out of the window.

It is said, many a worker browsing GAF has been heard suppressing a laugh and seen running out of the office to compose himself.

The Gaf Gods are mischievious.

I found on this some Korean gaming boards:
It's the PS4's interior?

51B932C33C60470010

I do find the position of the ports halfway up the back as quite interesting, as if the system board is also halfway up inside the case.

I assume they are using laptop-style cooling, i.e. a routed exhaust.

My laptop is also an AMD SoC style thing and it barely gets lukewarm, the fan rarely if ever spins up. Of course, the GPU is not in the same class as the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom