• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is a campaign dedicated to making Elon Musk Dump Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://elondumptrump.com/

They are running ads on Morning Joe.

Elon Musk is a visionary entrepreneur and technology industry leader. But even Elon Musk can be wrong. And he is very wrong on Donald Trump. Elon Musk has become one of Trump’s most prominent supporters, despite the fact that Trump’s policies directly contradict Musk’s core values, core values shared by Tesla customers and employees. Help us convince Elon to do the right thing. Help us convince him to resign from Donald Trump’s business councils. Help us convince him to take the Hat Tweet Challenge and become a leader of the opposition to Donald Trump’s climate change policies. If he does we’ll donate $1 million to charity.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ding-millions-to-break-elon-musk-s-trump-ties

Why? With how impressionable Trump appears to be shouldn't it be the other way around, make sure there's intelligent reasonable people around him always?

cameron

Dude is putting in effort.
It’s just the start. Derwin, 59, is prepared to spend $2 million on Musk-Trump protests. He’s bought $500,000 worth of media, including ads that will run April 23 in the New York Times, Washington Post, San Francisco Chronicle and San Jose Mercury News, and television ads that will appear during Meet The Press, Morning Joe and Full Frontal with Samantha Bee. He’s going to set up information booths on college campuses in a bid to dissuade young engineers from working at Tesla or Space Exploration Technologies Corp., Musk’s rocket company. He’s going to offer to pay people who sent in deposits for the upcoming Tesla Model 3, if they cancel their orders. And he’s going to partner with anti-Trump groups in Silicon Valley to make the Musk attack part of their campaigns.
“The worst thing that happens is that I lose some money and maybe make a public idiot out of myself,” he says. “But it seemed to me that it would make sense to push back on Trump in a way that I could.”
Good luck to him.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Why? With how impressionable Trump appears to be shouldn't it be the other way around, make sure there's intelligent reasonable people around him always?
Becaue Musk is not going to give a shit because he wants to fullfill his dream. He is going to be the one who breaks his values

Elon Musk a prominent Trump supporter? lol
On the other hand, Elon should do whatever it needs to get us out of this rock (but first he should really make Model S available everywhere)

Dierce

Musk is far from being a liberal. He only appeals to liberals with his products because it makes him money.

F!ReW!Re

Dude is putting in effort.

Wouldn't like investing that 2 million dollars into one of Musk's companies provide a bigger impact on saving the environment. Especially seeing Trump's so thick headed it's not gonna matter what Musk does, it won't affect ol' Donald's stance on anything.

Flai

Lol. How is Musk "a prominent Trump supporter"? Just because he is a member of Trump's economic advisory council doesn't mean he shares the values or supports him.

Does Elon Musk actually give a shit about what Trump is doing? I mean unless it interferes with whatever Musk wants, it seems to me that Musk just wants to get shit done however he can. I have no real idea though.

Morts

This is how I look at it. It's not as if Trump has less power to be destructive if Musk stood giving him advice on climate and energy issues.

zeshakag

That's why people shouldn't put him up on a social pedestal.

His one and only goal is to begin a colony on Mars. Everything he is doing is to fund this. He's going to do things on Earth that you disagree with to accomplish this, like communicate with the POTUS of the country in which he does business.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Any examples?
I dont archive links while surfing in the internet.
It was not flat out "its good that muslims cant enter our country anymore" its a bit vague but you get that he wants to not go on war with him because he wants to go to Mars and he still needs NASA for this.

Flai

It was not flat out "its good that muslims cant enter our country anymore" its a bit vague but you get that he wants to not go on war with him because he wants to go to Mars and he still needs NASA for this.

Sure, but he did publicly state that he is not for the muslim ban and both Tesla and SpaceX made a statement condoning it. So calling Musk a supporter of Trump, nevermind a prominent one, is a bit far fetched.

This? He's saying read the source material and make your own opinion.
WpdwfE3.jpg

His reason for staying on the advisory counsel is
This is something we need to strive for and the more voices of reason that the President hears, the better. Simply attacking him will achieve nothing. Are you aware of a single case where Trump bowed to protests or media attacks? Better that there are open channels of communication.

Seems pretty logical why he's there.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Supporter? More like member of one advisory council that can actually make a difference at influencing some positive policy.

This guy can spend his own money as he pleases, but he'd be better off putting it into upcoming Democratic races or certain other organizations.

He defended Trump a couple of times on Twitter
So what? That doesn't make Elon a supporter.

Ratrat

His one and only goal is to begin a colony on Mars. Everything he is doing is to fund this. He's going to do things on Earth that you disagree with to accomplish this, like communicate with the POTUS of the country in which he does business.
Why shouldn't he talk to Trump?

Razorback

Musk, a strong supporter of Trump? Jesus fucking christ.

Keep it up with the purity tests liberals. It's working out great.

Elon Musk made a convincing argument about the situation: is it better to let Trump drown in a sea of extremist advisers, or for him to try and push Trump in a better direction? I'm not sure what we have to gain from good people refusing to work with Donald Trump on good deeds.

Yes, he has built Tesla to get to Mars...

There is nothing wrong with people like Musk being on a board of advisers for Trump. He needs to be there to get his stuff attention and counter the lobbies from other car manufacturers and such.

Kinyou

Does anyone actually believe that Musk dropping from the advisory council would change anything?
I rather gamble on the chance that he can be a force for good.

Musk, a strong supporter of Trump? Jesus fucking christ.

Keep it up with the purity tests liberals. It's working out great.

Its the same shit across every thread. Everyone is a gamergater, Trump supporter, alt right sympathizer.

They way most of GAF sees it, anything short of constant, unending condemnation makes you a "supporter" of the enemy.

Gutek

Its the same shit across every thread. Everyone is a gamergater, Trump supporter, alt right sympathizer.

They way most of GAF sees it, anything short of constant, unending condemnation makes you a "supporter" of the enemy.

Musk is a collaborator in the purest sense. There is no sugar coating or excusing his behavior.

Musk is a collaborator in the purest sense. There is no sugar coating or excusing his behavior.
How is he a collaborator? He is on a business council pushing for his business. That business is cars that don't run on fossil fuels. Sounds like a good thing he is there then, considering Trumps agenda with fossil fuels.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Does it not matter what a "collaborator" is actually doing? Is "collaboration" an intrinsic sin in this case? Is it not possible that harm can be averted and good can be done if fewer monstrous shitheads and more competent and benevolent figures try to influence this White House?

APF

If he feels ok legitimizing the most transparently racist and corrupt president in modern history that's his business.

Futureman

It is pretty funny that everyone publicly lynched Uber for their CEO being on Trump's technology advisory group but Musk gets a pass for some reason.

Gutek

Does it not matter what a "collaborator" is actually doing? Is "collaboration" an intrinsic sin in this case? Is it not possible that harm can be averted and good can be done if fewer monstrous shitheads and more competent and benevolent figures try to influence this White House?

How can one be benevolent if that person works hand in hand with racists, sexists, and fascists?

KHarvey16

This is dangerous thinking.

If he feels ok legitimizing the most transparently racist and corrupt president in modern history that's his business.

How is trying to influence him into a less crazy position "legitimizing" him?

It is pretty funny that everyone publicly lynched Uber for their CEO being on Trump's technology advisory group but Musk gets a pass for some reason.

Everyone did? Every single person?

Kinyou

Well people also switched over to lyft in their protest, ignoring that this meant putting money directly into Peter Thiels pockets, so the whole thing didn't quite make sense to begin with.

Gutek

This is dangerous thinking.

How is trying to influence him into a less crazy position "legitimizing" him?

Everyone did? Every single person?

This is dangerous thinking: "hey, if you read through Trump's Muslim ban, it doesn't sound so bad!"

Is Musk really one of Trump's most prominent supporters?

No? Think not. He has said he thinks of himself as a moderate voice as an advisor and thinks if he went away they would replace him with someone more of a Yes Man so he should stay to be as much a voice of reason as possible.

He also reaaally wants everyone to drive Tesla, build Tesla Gigafactories and go to Mars so the best way to do that in the US is be buds with a President who thinks in dollar bills.

KHarvey16

You presented no argument, but a single sentence, that barely qualified as an opinion.

My opinion is exactly what I stated. Dismissing Musk as a collaborator for his level of involvement and purpose is dangerous thinking.

Would you rather no one sane ever spoke to Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom