• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is a campaign dedicated to making Elon Musk Dump Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider this: Elon Musk is there to represent YOU. Having a person in the conversation on your side, especially someone like Musk, is a great thing.

Resisting Trump doesn't mean refusing to work with him. He is now the actual president. It's the same failure in logic I saw with the Bernie or bust crowd... you only hurt yourselves and others who are on your "team."

Kyzer

Banned
Elon Musk is not "one of Trump's biggest supporters", he was appointed as an advisor, which is good for our cause... if you attend solarcity or tesla meetings you might actually cringe at how far they go into political discussion. Literally watched the global president of sales talk for an hour about why trump is the definition of a fascist and that the world is x billions of years old it was really dogmatic lol. Just trust me. They dont like Trump AT ALL

From an emotional perspective, I wish the absolute worst harm on Trump, his supporters, even Republicans at large. I don't express that on the forum because I don't need to get banned or chided for my personal emotional reactions.

From a rational perspective, I think it's fair to ask the question I asked without presuming an obvious answer. I think it is obviously the case that it is POSSIBLE that a person could work with Trump to achieve something better than what would otherwise occur. I'm not even arguing that that is what IS happening in this case. Your position seems to be that association of any kind with Trump makes a person irredeemably evil, which isn't logically tenable nor practically feasible. Somebody has to try to push Trump in good directions because he's going to be here for a little while longer longer. What's the alternative?

I dont even disagree with your point at the end but the first thing, wishing harm upon trump and republicans, seems like youre doing everything we hate about them. Dont stoop to their level mate

IrishNinja

You're asking me to prove a negative, and are now resorting to ad hominem arguments.

welcome to khavery

Elon Musk is too busy trying to save humanity to care about comments on Internet forums

Hero worship all you want, never let reality get in the way of doing you

^

Musk will be the one doing the influence, Trump isn't going to change Musk.

that influence has been sweet fuckall so far, but let's wait on that pivot

bsp

Hero worship all you want, never let reality get in the way of doing you

Hmm yes, the reality that he has been instrumental for the first adoption of cleaner emission cars, more efficient solar and battery storage, and reusable access to space for the first time in the history of our world. What a bad reality he has brought us in these few years of work.

It isn't hero worship to recognize that some people have important influence on the trajectory of history, and so far Musk's have been positive and in the grand scale perhaps some of the most important (cheap access for consistent access to space is about as important of a problem as possible to help solve).

Kyzer

Banned
Hes the president of the united states. Musks life mission is to transition the world to sustainable energy to avoid the catastrophes that are going to come with climate change. He offered him a position to advise him. He will be able to represent our ideas and make recommendations in an administration that doesnt even believe in global warming. They respect him and listen to him because hes a very successful entrepreneur that is creating one of the next big american companies.

"You havent had any influence and you never will. Youre now a trump supporter and i will boycott your products and you are no longer a hero."

Seems wholly illogical but okay. I was so happy when elon musk was appointed as an advisor you would think its like something we would want to preserve. If Neil Degrasse Tyson took an offer to advise trump would people see the benefit or expect him to resign?

Elon Musk made a convincing argument about the situation: is it better to let Trump drown in a sea of extremist advisers, or for him to try and push Trump in a better direction? I'm not sure what we have to gain from good people refusing to work with Donald Trump on good deeds.

This. Policy making shouldn't be a game since the outcomes affect real people's lives, especially with regard to new technologies that can help thwart climate change.

Leave the political games to politicians. Business people, especially those in the engineering and technology arena, need to make a case for how technological breakthroughs can improve society, even when it's not an ideal political climate.

wildfire

Banned
It is pretty funny that everyone publicly lynched Uber for their CEO being on Trump's technology advisory group but Musk gets a pass for some reason.

Musk didn't get a pass. It even says it in the article the OP linked to. Musk is stubborn against mass social pressure. The Uber CEO buckles under it.

Consider this: Elon Musk is there to represent YOU. Having a person in the conversation on your side, especially someone like Musk, is a great thing.

Resisting Trump doesn't mean refusing to work with him. He is now the actual president. It's the same failure in logic I saw with the Bernie or bust crowd... you only hurt yourselves and others who are on your "team."

You should never work with Trump. You work around him.

Working with Trump always comes with a guarantee of getting burned because Trump is only interested in Trump.

It's you who is naive.

KHarvey16

Musk didn't get a pass. It even says it in the article the OP linked to. Musk is stubborn against mass social pressure. The Uber CEO buckles under it.

Working with Trump always comes with a guarantee of getting burned because Trump is only interested in Trump.

It's you who is naive.

I don't understand how this makes sense to anyone.

Trump is currently the president. The president can unilaterally make important decisions that impact our lives. He can also collaborate with like minded people to accomplish their shared angenda.

How do you "work around" that? Why, if decisions can and will be made, wouldn't you want as many sane people as we can get around him?

Kyzer

Banned

It's you who is naive.

I mean, how would he get burned? You think Trump is gonna tweet something mean at Elon Musk? Hes an advisor worst case scenario he isnt anymore. And thats literally worst case because we all lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom